I do think that looks better, centered with the building instead of the base plate, good idea. Actually didn't really notice it was off center before, probably would have noticed immediately if I was building it though. 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:20 PM, cimddwc said:

Here's the result of my facade with roof & gable mod:

I love this version of the Corner Garage! 

7 hours ago, Lego Conductor said:

Liked this Modular since it was announced.  Day 1 purchase and currently building it.  However one thing that has bothered me from the get go is the fact that the awning above the gas pump is not centered with the upper floors.  My attempt at a correction:

Nice. I too didn't notice until seeing it in person. I think the reason that it wasn't centered like that in the set though is because once moved over the awning breaks the plane of the baseplate/protrudes past the edge.

12 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Nice. I too didn't notice until seeing it in person. I think the reason that it wasn't centered like that in the set though is because once moved over the awning breaks the plane of the baseplate/protrudes past the edge.

It barely stays on the baseplate.  The base of the gas pump island is now 1 stud away from the edge.  I usually display my Modulars up high (top of bookcases) so the centering on the building was more important to me than on the base plate.  

Note: by moving the awning to center the driveway is now the same width on each side, 10 studs.  On the official build its 12 studs and 8 studs.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, Aanchir said:

So the price was higher, and was reduced… in other words, the price you're describing is a discounted price.

The original Norwegian RRP for Assembly Square was 2499.00 Kr, or the equivalent of $285.71 USD. The Norwegian RRP for Corner Garage is 1999.00 Kr, or the equivalent of $228.15 USD. So if the prices you've seen for the Assembly Square in your country are any indication, then two years from now you can probably expect similar markdowns on the Corner Garage!

Yes, but my point was the value of money. 

To make a comparison to original RT-price: town hall with more pieces, retail price 1500 NOK. And Parisian Restaurant, the top of the line, 1500 NOK.

On 12/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, Shiva said:

I'm sure you can afford the Corner Garage too.

Is it expensive to order stuff to Norway? Atleast it is to order From Norway.

We have a weak currency atm, which is why the prices are so high.  Shipping costs are the same as everywhere else. LEGO sets however are way higher than normal differences in currencies.

I can afford it, but that means it has to take the place of something else I need and want, e.g. savings for a nice vacation. And it is not worth that, in my opinion :)

The build is complete!

46705692721_b798a32a56.jpgI like it without the yellow sign on the awning.

45790378455_f6b67e8b79.jpg Tiles on order to finish this section where awning attaches to main building.

46705692981_cc67ffb821.jpgNeed to move this lampost. (another tile on order)

This modular has grown on me since I first saw it.  The build and small mod done to it have solidify its position on my modular block.  

Hi fellas, Happy New Year!

I must admit that as a die-hard modular collector over the past 10-12 years, I was pretty unimpressed with this set after seeing pictures on the web.  Thought the color scheme seemed way off and just the overall look did not seem right.  But...

I had the opportunity to see the set at a LEGO store yesterday and must say that it looks a lot better on display.  The unique corner design, the garage level with iconic Octan colors and classic garage door, and the light blue windows really pop.   Lots of charm and playability with this set.  I ended up adding it to my collection.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, Lego Conductor said:

It barely stays on the baseplate.  The base of the gas pump island is now 1 stud away from the edge.  I usually display my Modulars up high (top of bookcases) so the centering on the building was more important to me than on the base plate.  

Note: by moving the awning to center the driveway is now the same width on each side, 10 studs.  On the official build its 12 studs and 8 studs.

Right I can see that the base of the island on the ground is not over the edge, I was referring to the actual awning, the floating roof over the pumps. Unless it is modified from the original dimensions, simply moving the awning over like this makes the awning, the roof part, break the plane of the baseplate. None of the official modulars have anything that goes over the edge of the baseplate. Imagine a vertical wall extending upwards to infinity from all four edges of the baseplate. Of course some MOCs break this rule but the official modulars do not.

Really only an issue if its on one of the sides that would connect to another building, since this is obviously over the street its not much of an issue but I think that's why it was done that way in the official set. It does look better centered.

Edited by koalayummies

On 1/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, koalayummies said:

Right I can see that the base of the island on the ground is not over the edge, I was referring to the actual awning, the floating roof over the pumps. Unless it is modified from the original dimensions, simply moving the awning over like this makes the awning, the roof part, break the plane of the baseplate. None of the official modulars have anything that goes over the edge of the baseplate. Imagine a vertical wall extending upwards to infinity from all four edges of the baseplate. Of course some MOCs break this rule but the official modulars do not.

In terms of structural parts of the buildings themselves, this is correct, but the leaves of the potted plant in front of Market Street and the tree in front of Fire Brigade both extend out past the curb, so I'm not 100% sure whether this is in fact a hard and fast rule.

Outside of the Creator Expert theme, some similar sets that break this rule in even more noticeable ways are Ninjago City and Ninjago City Docks. But of course, these can get away with this because the front and back of the buildings overlook waterways rather than roads, and most overhangs along the adjoining sides are both hinged and high up enough not to collide with adjacent buildings.

It's kind of interesting to me to compare the differences between the Ninjago City sets and the Creator Expert Modular Buildings. In some respects, the Modular Buildings follow stricter rules: for example, they are all designed so their height can be expanded with additional middle floors, which requires staircases to begin and end in the same place, while the Ninjago City sets do not require or so far even allow for this option. But in other respects, the Ninjago City sets have more design restraints: they have to match not only the level of the water and "Old World" walkways, but also the raised "Street" level walkways. This means that the total height of the two-story "Old World" buildings is basically fixed, whereas the height of the Modular Buildings' stories varies freely from one building to the next.

16 hours ago, Aanchir said:

In terms of structural parts of the buildings themselves, this is correct, but the leaves of the potted plant in front of Market Street and the tree in front of Fire Brigade both extend out past the curb, so I'm not 100% sure whether this is in fact a hard and fast rule.

Yeah its reasonable trees could get away with it like in real life, but not parts of a building. The stairs location/floor repetition thing however can be frustrating for an MOCer though and I have no problem with anyone not adhering to that.

Regarding the awning in question it could just be shortened lengthwise so that once centered it adheres to this.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, koalayummies said:

Really only an issue if its on one of the sides that would connect to another building, since this is obviously over the street its not much of an issue but I think that's why it was done that way in the official set. It does look better centered.

It actually depends on whether you consider the Ninjago City as a Modular or not (and yes that is wholly subjective). While mainly built on a modular footprint, NC has a Cherry tree that extends past the invisible wall. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, WesternOutlaw said:

Hi fellas, Happy New Year!

I must admit that as a die-hard modular collector over the past 10-12 years, I was pretty unimpressed with this set after seeing pictures on the web.  Thought the color scheme seemed way off and just the overall look did not seem right.  But...

I had the opportunity to see the set at a LEGO store yesterday and must say that it looks a lot better on display.  The unique corner design, the garage level with iconic Octan colors and classic garage door, and the light blue windows really pop.   Lots of charm and playability with this set.  I ended up adding it to my collection.

I've just started building mine. It does look a lot better in person than in the pictures. Although like I said a few pages back, unlike most of the others, this one is really really impacted by angle of view. My Modular's are on a shelf that is at head height around 2 1/2 walls of my office. Looking at it straight on, where it is mainly level with your field of view, really makes it look fantastic. When you are not looking down on the awning, and it's not obscuring the ground floor. The colors seem to pop more. Especially the ground floor Octan colors. I still wish the Garage sign wasn't in front of the Vet's. 

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:Faefrost

When you are not looking down on the awning, and it's not obscuring the ground floor. The colors seem to pop more. Especially the ground floor Octan colors. I still wish the Garage sign wasn't in front of the Vet's. 

@Faefrost

So it sounds like it's really a matter of perspective.  Interesting...  Let us know how you like the build and completed model.

12 hours ago, Faefrost said:

It actually depends on whether you consider the Ninjago City as a Modular or not (and yes that is wholly subjective). While mainly built on a modular footprint, NC has a Cherry tree that extends past the invisible wall.

Aanchir already pointed out that trees can extend into the street.

Edited by koalayummies

Finished my mod to the Corner Garage with some input from Koalayummies.  The awning know conforms to the baseplate by shorting its length by two studs.  I also moved the awning down in height to match profile of the ground floor.  Other small changes were to remove street lamp, use of classic smile face minifigure heads and all my modular utilize the tree from Fire Brigade.  Photos:

46161066134_2b96168055.jpg

31944629877_dfe1989cc7.jpg

46834072292_31e14632b7.jpg

46834071862_0e7039cdc1.jpg

33010786908_dd153692b2.jpg

I’m surprised this modular has received such harsh criticism. When I first saw the pictures, I couldn’t believe my eyes – a good, solid building of great size instead of a mix of small buildings with too many interior details. Back to the basics, in a positive way. I was also thrilled by the gas station-apartment building combo. Those exist in Europe as well, in older buildings, and I’ve actually photographed a couple that I’ve seen with the intention of creating my own version in Lego. Well, no need to MOC this no more. :thumbup:

After having built CG I can only confirm my first impresion: it’s a great building, and I like the fact that it’s just one building and comes with three complete floors.

Done with the first pass on the exterior of my Department Store alternate model. I'm sure it will change a lot as I work on the interior and realize I need parts used elsewhere but so far I like it. 

agsTyJV.jpg

On 12/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, antp said:

Do you think that this garage would look good with a red floor instead of the tan floor?

[...] And now I'm wondering if I should replace the red plate by the tan one provided with the set. I think that red may work for a garage, as sometimes these have some reddish cement ground (though that it is more like a sand-red than a bright red).

On 12/26/2018 at 5:36 AM, BrickFit26 said:

It might work out with red. I've seen the display room of a garage repair shop with red flooring.

Here is it:

dsc_0358_1.jpg

Not bad I think; I'll probably cover the "outside" part of the baseplate seen on the rear.

Hi, I have modded this set, I'm not 100% done but here is some of it. Thank you.

46392938334_f34ccb5599_b.jpg33241231838_2cd7df3d1d_b.jpg

Computer does slide to the end of the ramp, and both doors roll up at the same time.

40151956643_f76a093d0d_b.jpg46392936694_fe9282ed27_b.jpg

The second, third, and fourth floors are almost done. 

Sorry this these post are a bit rough I'm still learning how to add and do stuff on here. 

11 hours ago, antp said:

Here is it:

dsc_0358_1.jpg

Not bad I think; I'll probably cover the "outside" part of the baseplate seen on the rear.

Looks good. The red really pops. :thumbup:

6 hours ago, TinCan said:

Hi, I have modded this set, I'm not 100% done but here is some of it. Thank you.

46392938334_f34ccb5599_b.jpg33241231838_2cd7df3d1d_b.jpg

Computer does slide to the end of the ramp, and both doors roll up at the same time.

40151956643_f76a093d0d_b.jpg46392936694_fe9282ed27_b.jpg

The second, third, and fourth floors are almost done. 

Sorry this these post are a bit rough I'm still learning how to add and do stuff on here. 

Just...WOW.*huh*:wub_drool:*oh2*

11 hours ago, TinCan said:

46392938334_f34ccb5599_b.jpg

That looks stunning already.

Looking at it with much of the dark orange still missing on the top floor makes me think that it might actually look really good if the top floor was actually done in another, more toned down color. Something like dark bley, for example. That might help the roof to stand out more.

I forgot the floors… here are the apts, vet, roof top and so on. I wanted to snap a pic of my building next to the OEM one at the lego shop but they had moved it to the glass display in the window, oh well.

The roof top pool is normally full of 1x1 round trans-light blue. 

Here are a few shots of the larger apt floor plan, the dark blue box is a large aquarium with a dead orange fish and ties into the vet on the lower floor, it designed to be removed for play. The vet is nowhere close to being done but just had to throw mis animals and tools on the floor

40151957513_c77c7b459d_b.jpg40158652713_89f663f88f_b.jpg46399825964_2b8947f415_b.jpg32181428997_8b4f3a265f_b.jpg32181428137_fe431aed3b_b.jpg40158648103_2872aa6533_b.jpg40158646173_54ab59526c_b.jpg

vet

46399824224_c11e96b5aa_b.jpg33247983868_dbb009a22a_b.jpg

33247983878_cb91a0051d_b.jpg

40158644493_9d4e158453_b.jpg