So, I was supposed to be buying this modular on January 1st, and my girlfriend gave me the money towards it for Christmas, but after a long consideration, I decided to put my own money towards the money I was given and picked up the Town Hall instead. 

I spent far more money on a NIB eBay Town Hall than I ever thought that I'd spend, but I'm glad that I did, as I think it's the most outstanding modular in terms of its looks and size.

It's probably not a great investment, and definitely something that I'll probably look back and say, "What were you thinking?" but I watched the Black Friday sales in 2018, and I think I'll pick the Corner Garage up that weekend in 2019 instead, and have it as my Christmas present for 2019, rather than this past Christmas. 

I'm now missing the first three modulars and the Corner Garage. I'm not so sure whether I should buy the CC and GG second hand next year, as all of my sets so far have been NIB. The price for each of those sets new is too much though. I am a collector of sorts, I guess... I have that bug inside me, but something tells me that I'll probably only get the newer sets from here on out. I've been really lucky, as I only got into Lego in 2017, but I've only bought two sets myself: The Fire Brigade and half of The Town Hall. The rest have been Christmas presents or birthday presents or from Amazon vouchers that I received when I left my job to start my own business. It's been such a hectic year that I've only built three of the sets I own: The Palace Cinema, The Brick Bank and The Detective's Office, but this year looks a lot quieter, so I think it'll be a different story come next Christmas! Hoping to build at least three more!!! 

I'm going to start with either The Fire Brigade or The Town Hall in March. Because my girlfriend paid half towards The Town Hall, she wants to build it with me. We've built the smaller sets together, but I really enjoy learning from how the modulars are pieced together... but I guess I can share just this once! Is anyone else like this?! 

Anyways, just thought I'd share considering I'd mentioned that I was going to get it, and haven't. A lot of comments on Fb seem to be favourable. A lot of people seem to be enjoying the build, and I definitely think it's a great modular overall! For those that do buy it, enjoy! 

Edited by RuffDraft
Adding extra information

So.... has anyone bought and built this yet? I’m pretty sure we’ve had plenty of feedback by this time in previous years.

I want to see what it looks like lined up with different combinations of the other modulars before committing to buying it (though I’ll probably wait until x2 or x3 VIP points anyway).

2 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

So.... has anyone bought and built this yet? I’m pretty sure we’ve had plenty of feedback by this time in previous years.

I want to see what it looks like lined up with different combinations of the other modulars before committing to buying it (though I’ll probably wait until x2 or x3 VIP points anyway).

I feel the same. 

Since this is the fourth Modular that's distinctly American, rather than European (FB, DO, DD and now CG) I particularly want to see how they all look together. Maybe going DD-DO-CG-FB? 

I'd love it if someone could post a picture of how CG looks next to the DO. 

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I feel the same. 

Since this is the fourth Modular that's distinctly American, rather than European (FB, DO, DD and now CG) I particularly want to see how they all look together. Maybe going DD-DO-CG-FB? 

I'd love it if someone could post a picture of how CG looks next to the DO. 

I plan to put mine next to the DO. I did get a picture next to it as a test fit. Having issues logging into my Flickr...so just click the link in my signature. 

4 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Maybe going DD-DO-CG-FB? 

Yes I think that is likely to be the best combination. I saw a photo from a review on a French website with the DO-CG combination and it looked pretty good - better than DD-CG which looks awkward with two vertical faces of similar width immediately adjacent.

Unfortunately I don’t have FB, but I suspect that might work well to the right of CG. Better than DD, which again would clash with the two protruding white sections both very similar and immediately adjacent.

18 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I plan to put mine next to the DO. I did get a picture next to it as a test fit. Having issues logging into my Flickr...so just click the link in my signature. 

Thanks, but . . I actually meant having the DO on the other side of the CG . . still, I can tell enough from that picture to confirm my suspicion that the right half of DO, the blue part, is the same height as the CG (give or take a couple of plates). So I'm confident that when I find a good deal on the Garage I can put it right next to my DO and have it look good. 

53 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Thanks, but . . I actually meant having the DO on the other side of the CG . . still, I can tell enough from that picture to confirm my suspicion that the right half of DO, the blue part, is the same height as the CG (give or take a couple of plates). So I'm confident that when I find a good deal on the Garage I can put it right next to my DO and have it look good. 

Yeah, they’re roughly the same size. I picked that side to hide the lift feature from the garage that is seen, and I’m not planning on putting a building next to it. I can get one of it on the opposite side tomorrow if someone else doesn’t beat me to it by then. 

I got my CG yesterday morning and built it yesterday afternoon/evening.

I am really pleased with the design and the details in it.  Despite the workshop looking barren in some of the product photos it actually is quite well done and the tyre machine and toolbox are really nice.  With a big truck/car on the ramp there’s not much free space.  The angled walls are good with no gaps and are sturdy when finished (although a bit of a pain when part built).  The detail in the vet’s office is also good with the microscope being a particular favourite if mine.  Again, not a lot of free space in there which is good.  The only bit which is a bit plain is the roof.  The stairwell trap is nice enough but the rest is very plain.  I left off the lounger and brolly as they looked a bit cheap and will probably add an air con unit or two.

The only bit of the build I didn’t really enjoy was using the qtr circle tiles to make the patterns in the front edges of the second floor and roof.  Just a bit fiddly to get tidy and straight (for my big fingers anyway!).  I also left the petrol pump off as it felt too big next to the minifigs and as this will be across the road from my 2016 petrol station it’s a built surplus anyway.

This afternoon I will be setting it up in my modular street where it will be next to DO on one side and an alleyway between it and DD on the other.

I see that some people say it looks a bit American but there are plenty of similar buildings which are garages or ex-garages in the UK that look similar to this so I am quite happy with the design from that POV.

Edited by rriggs

36 minutes ago, rriggs said:

The angled walls are good with no gaps and are sturdy when finished (although a bit of a pain when part built).

This is the one thing I wasn't keen on during the build. 

The technique was great, but when positioning the level to get the details in place, I found I often pushed the angled section off. I think it would have been better to build the entire angled wall outside of the modular, then position it when complete. That way it would be firmly attached at the top as soon as it was put in place. 

I also agree about the quarter circles. I'm not happy about how neatly I've managed to position them, and there's no easy way to get them all straight. 

I agree, those parts of the build weren't that convenient, but worked out well in the end. And overall, I do like it more than when I first saw the images, though that "wow" is still lacking. (Yes, I got impatient and bought it first day (i.e. Jan 2 in Germany)...)

As far as modding is concerned, well, I intend to put it in a row with my Brick Store and Modulex facades, so I'll reduce the Corner Garage to a flat facade (thereby also hiding the unsightly grey parts in the gaps) and add a steep roof, probably with a nice gable on one side, adding a bit more Gründerzeit flair. Should go quite well with these other facades.

After building the set myself, I'm very happy with it.

Lars puts his architecture skills to great use in this model in my opinion. Looking at the finished set, I notice details such as the use of the arch above the veterinarian's office entrance on the bottom floor, and how that is visually repeated on the three faces of the moulding at the top of the building, which makes the garage segment next to the bottom floor door [that was untouched by the postwar renovation] flow better with the top of the building. The curved tiles at the top center of the moulding also reflect the shape of the Jo's Garage half-tire sign, which is a nice touch.

The people behind the modular buildings seem to always have a long discussion and brainstorm process with color schemes. As a result, they have color schemes that work incredibly well. The corner garage is no exception. For me, I love how the sand blue window frames complement the dark orange building, then the white and dark green garage segment helps add some variety while maintaining a competent and rather pleasing color combination. It stands out in a good way.

The tow truck is able to transport all the previous vehicles in this franchise; the limo does require the chain to be attached to the front axle, and the other end to the side stud of the tow truck hook. All the vehicles can be repaired in the garage as well, although the fire truck light needs to hinge backwards to fit through the door, and the limo is long enough that the garage door should be kept open when it is inside. All the vehicles can refuel at the gas pump too. :grin:

The garage door works amazingly, and it's just so much fun to roll it up and down, and up and down. The car lift is a little bit more tricky to use, but I was able to figure out how to more gently lift all the vehicles [without having to stick my hand inside to brace them]. Getting them back down requires a manual override usually, as the weight of the vehicles tend to create a moment force that slightly tilts the mechanism, creating too much friction to lower without a soft nudge. But it still works like a charm and is very fun to use nonetheless.

I love the apartment, and it also helped create my favorite photo from the press release [when sweater guy is eating cookie dough and watching TV]. It's a cozy apartment, where the guy wears a comfortable sweater as he eats and cooks comfort food. Like the rest of the set, it has a good atmosphere.

The corner garage was able to capture the fifties in a different way than the Downtown Diner. Instead of the rock and roll, the celebrities, and the busy commotion of the gym and kitchen, the garage feels like it slows things down, like all the characters are taking their time to enjoy their work [or just eating cookie dough] and enjoying the summer day by day. The set evokes the occasional industrial noises from the workshop, the smell of fuel, the bark of the dog [who I might name Sparky]. The wheels hanging on the side of the garage also adds to the old time feel, and helps make Jo's Garage feel like a small local business that adds character to the outskirts of the town. It conjures something like nostalgia, and I imagine that this building would look beautiful when lit by the setting sun.

The building stands about two bricks higher than the pet shop if I recall correctly, and I'm going to spend this afternoon seeing how it looks with some of the other buildings. It looks like it fits into the town well. I might do a photoshoot later since I've been meaning to get around to that for over a year now anyways.

Again I am very happy that the garage and truck are compatible with all of the other vehicles in the series, so now Jim's twin brother can tow whomever he pleases. :classic:

Edited by Overcold

On 1/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, LegoSjaak said:

Isn't it the first time in years that we can order more than just one item of the 10264 per Household/account? I always used more accounts to get two or more sets...but now i can order even 5......???

No, I usually order 3 copies when they`re available and if I remember right 3 was the former max limit. Now it`s 5 as you say :thumbup: I may just order two in the first place of this one, but my overall target is to have at least 5 copies of every modular so the rest will come later, at a slightly reduced price.

Here's the result of my facade with roof & gable mod:

12D38CC3-22E4-40AE-BC58-3580CFCD17E8-556

3AE6517E-39FD-4146-9ED1-99F69DCC4333-800

Typical back side for my facades:

2A7B24C0-4D4B-4F78-B282-3F840DC78519-775

On 1/2/2019 at 5:17 PM, RuffDraft said:

So, I was supposed to be buying this modular on January 1st, and my girlfriend gave me the money towards it for Christmas, but after a long consideration, I decided to put my own money towards the money I was given and picked up the Town Hall instead. 

I spent far more money on a NIB eBay Town Hall than I ever thought that I'd spend, but I'm glad that I did, as I think it's the most outstanding modular in terms of its looks and size.

It's probably not a great investment, and definitely something that I'll probably look back and say, "What were you thinking?" but I watched the Black Friday sales in 2018, and I think I'll pick the Corner Garage up that weekend in 2019 instead, and have it as my Christmas present for 2019, rather than this past Christmas. 

I'm now missing the first three modulars and the Corner Garage. I'm not so sure whether I should buy the CC and GG second hand next year, as all of my sets so far have been NIB. The price for each of those sets new is too much though. I am a collector of sorts, I guess... I have that bug inside me, but something tells me that I'll probably only get the newer sets from here on out. I've been really lucky, as I only got into Lego in 2017, but I've only bought two sets myself: The Fire Brigade and half of The Town Hall. The rest have been Christmas presents or birthday presents or from Amazon vouchers that I received when I left my job to start my own business. It's been such a hectic year that I've only built three of the sets I own: The Palace Cinema, The Brick Bank and The Detective's Office, but this year looks a lot quieter, so I think it'll be a different story come next Christmas! Hoping to build at least three more!!! 

I'm going to start with either The Fire Brigade or The Town Hall in March. Because my girlfriend paid half towards The Town Hall, she wants to build it with me. We've built the smaller sets together, but I really enjoy learning from how the modulars are pieced together... but I guess I can share just this once! Is anyone else like this?! 

Anyways, just thought I'd share considering I'd mentioned that I was going to get it, and haven't. A lot of comments on Fb seem to be favourable. A lot of people seem to be enjoying the build, and I definitely think it's a great modular overall! For those that do buy it, enjoy! 

That's how I've been getting the modulars. Usually wait until later in the year with VIP points saved up or when they're are on sale like they were on Black Friday. Though, I regret not buying the Brick Bank when it was on sale. I jist bought the DO, and waited to save up for the BB, when I check again it was retired. :cry3:

11 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

That's how I've been getting the modulars. Usually wait until later in the year with VIP points saved up or when they're are on sale like they were on Black Friday. Though, I regret not buying the Brick Bank when it was on sale. I jist bought the DO, and waited to save up for the BB, when I check again it was retired. :cry3:

Sounds wise. It's such a shame that the Brick Bank has sold out... is it still not available at the larger stores? Definitely get it - it's my favourite of the three modulars that I've built: BB, DO and PC. 

I did pick up the BB, AS and DO in the sales... I think I got really lucky in the UK in 2017, as there were a lot of sets on sale that year at different department stores. 

Hope you find an affordable BB at some point. Looking forward to picking up the CG later in the year - looks like a really nice set, but hoping LEGO outdoes itself a year from now with the next modular building and gives us something that knocks our socks off! 

I've got about £30 in VIP points too... but if it's not on sale at the Lego store, I'll pick it up from Smyths instead, as I think it'll be on sale there on Black Friday later this year. See what happens! 

I was taking a good look at the CG in my local LEGO store yesterday. I like it, but this one definitely has a few display concerns that most others do not. None of the other modular are quite as effected by line of sight or angle of view. If you display yours on a shelf I would say it works best on the leading corner of the shelf. The one that people entering the room face or encounter first as they come in. It’s best angle of view is from that front sidewalk corner. It you place it on the trailing or far corner of your shelf, where the viewers line of sight goes diagonally across it, the building appears much narrower than it in fact is. It also looks best from a lower angle. One where you are looking straight on at it, rather than looking down on it. Looking down on it, it looks a little cluttered. But the bulk of that could probably be fixed by tiling the top of the awning over the pump. We complain about the lack of tiling in the interior, when the truth is, on seeing it, where they needed some tiling was that lower roof. You don’t really notice the ground floor interior that much when it’s displayed, as it has so much going on outside at that level. And the island awning blocks most direct line of sight in. 

The little tow truck looks gorgeous. Much nicer than I was expecting. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:22 AM, RuffDraft said:

Sounds wise. It's such a shame that the Brick Bank has sold out... is it still not available at the larger stores? Definitely get it - it's my favourite of the three modulars that I've built: BB, DO and PC. 

I did pick up the BB, AS and DO in the sales... I think I got really lucky in the UK in 2017, as there were a lot of sets on sale that year at different department stores. 

Hope you find an affordable BB at some point. Looking forward to picking up the CG later in the year - looks like a really nice set, but hoping LEGO outdoes itself a year from now with the next modular building and gives us something that knocks our socks off! 

I've got about £30 in VIP points too... but if it's not on sale at the Lego store, I'll pick it up from Smyths instead, as I think it'll be on sale there on Black Friday later this year. See what happens! 

All stores here in the USA are sold out of the BB. I keep looking though. I still need to get the DD which I'm hoping to later on in the end of the year. CG I will eventually get too. Thank goodness for those VIP points. :grin:

16 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

All stores here in the USA are sold out of the BB. I keep looking though. I still need to get the DD which I'm hoping to later on in the end of the year. CG I will eventually get too. Thank goodness for those VIP points. :grin:

Such a shame. The London store tends to have older builds still available. I bought the Winter Toy Shop after that was discontinued on eBay, only to go into the store and see it available as new there... it's not worth the flight though! No guarantees! Mental how quickly they sell out once they become discontinued! 

Definitely pick it up though - such a great build! 

19 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

If this had a mirror image of the left hand side on the right side ie doing away with the actual garage area with the roller shutter, it could make a not bad looking hospital once the petrol pumps had been removed also, as the canopy area would be the Ambulance arrival area for the A&E/ER. IMO

On 1/8/2019 at 3:40 AM, RuffDraft said:

Such a shame. The London store tends to have older builds still available. I bought the Winter Toy Shop after that was discontinued on eBay, only to go into the store and see it available as new there... it's not worth the flight though! No guarantees! Mental how quickly they sell out once they become discontinued! 

Definitely pick it up though - such a great build! 

Definitely will. I fingers crossed for the BB. 

Liked this Modular since it was announced.  Day 1 purchase and currently building it.  However one thing that has bothered me from the get go is the fact that the 

awning above the gas pump is not centered with the upper floors.  My attempt at a correction:

45779837175_cc1f36c159.jpg

39730235613_7c5a15c027.jpg

39730236353_057c188988.jpg