22 hours ago, TypoCorrecto said:

Normal price of AS seems to be 240 euros.

In Norway, most retailers now sells it for 180/190 euros as a standard retail price.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:19 AM, antp said:

Do you think that this garage would look good with a red floor instead of the tan floor?

I ask that because I'm planning to put it in my city where the Palace Cinema was. As I had a spare red baseplate, I already moved the Cinema to its new location, on the other red plate.

And now I'm wondering if I should replace the red plate by the tan one provided with the set. I think that red may work for a garage, as sometimes these have some reddish cement ground (though that it is more like a sand-red than a bright red).

An alternative would be a 16x32 DBG + a 16x32 green ; most of the garage would be on the DBG but a 7-stud green strip would remain on the left, where the stairs are... it may look strange (this offset is due to the fact I build my modulars on the sidewalk of old road plates). On the other hand, the interior is not very visible :)

It might work out with red. I've seen the display room of a garage repair shop with red flooring.

14 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

In Norway, most retailers now sells it for 180/190 euros as a standard retail price.

I'm sure you can afford the Corner Garage too.

Is it expensive to order stuff to Norway? Atleast it is to order From Norway.

21 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

So the price was higher, and was reduced… in other words, the price you're describing is a discounted price.

The original Norwegian RRP for Assembly Square was 2499.00 Kr, or the equivalent of $285.71 USD. The Norwegian RRP for Corner Garage is 1999.00 Kr, or the equivalent of $228.15 USD. So if the prices you've seen for the Assembly Square in your country are any indication, then two years from now you can probably expect similar markdowns on the Corner Garage!

i personally don’t have a problem with its increased cost in the US. I understand that everything in life costs more as time goes on and I want Lego employees to be able to receive raises. I would rather Lego not keep prices artificially low by outsourcing everything to China. Maybe I will only be able to get 20 sets this year instead of 25, but that’s fine. We’ve all seen the effects of what happens when business is driven by the lowest price possible and that’s not what I want for a company I genuinely like, one which brings me much happiness.

I like the thing, but it feels like a step back given that the last two modulars tiled the entire first floor (the diner tiling is some of the best Lego has ever done for a set). I too will never buy lego knock-offs and appreciate the quality, but I just feel that jacking the price up for a modular that is good, but not great the way the last few were is a bridge too far. If Lego had just been willing to put a little more detail and a few more pieces I would've happily picked this up, but as it is I think I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Lego ideas car wash/record shop next year. 

Edited by Andrew Spader

On 12/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, gotoAndLego said:

i personally don’t have a problem with its increased cost in the US. I understand that everything in life costs more as time goes on and I want Lego employees to be able to receive raises. I would rather Lego not keep prices artificially low by outsourcing everything to China. Maybe I will only be able to get 20 sets this year instead of 25, but that’s fine. We’ve all seen the effects of what happens when business is driven by the lowest price possible and that’s not what I want for a company I genuinely like, one which brings me much happiness.

Thats good for you, but I cant really afford any lego set thats $200 or more and liked modulars when they were $150-160. That was  about the max I was willing to spend. Now the only way I can get them after this, assuming they stick with this price or even raise it again a bit in a few years, will be waiting 3-4 years for a flash 30% off sale on amazon that lasts 10 minutes before everything is sold out. 

I  would be fine with this price if this was a town hall situation where it was a larger building, but its about the same size as the older modulars from before 2014. 

Edited by chezzymann

2 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Thats good for you, but I cant really afford any lego set thats $200 or more and liked modulars when they were $150-160. That was  about the max I was willing to spend. Now the only way I can get them after this, assuming they stick with this price or even raise it again a bit in a few years, will be waiting 3-4 years for a flash 30% off sale on amazon that lasts 10 minutes before everything is sold out. 

I  would be fine with this price if this was a town hall situation where it was a larger building, but its about the same size as the older modulars from before 2014. 

In the grand scheme of things, the Market Street, Town Hall, Assembly Square, and Corner Garage are the ONLY Modular Buildings that have had any major price changes from the buildings before and after them… everything else has largely been just periodic adjustments to account for inflation. When all the Modular Building prices are adjusted to their equivalents in 2007 dollars, there is only a minute difference in price for any of the "normal-sized" buildings. The mean price is $141.14, with a maximum of $146.85 (Brick Bank), a minimum of $133.50 (Palace Cinema), and a median of $140.42 (splitting the difference between the prices of Parisian Restaurant and Downtown Diner).

While Corner Garage's price in 2007 dollars ($169.57) is the third highest, behind Assembly Square ($236.84) and Town Hall ($180.61), the same is true of its piece count (2569, 2766, and 4002, respectively). I cannot speak to its weight at this time, since I still can't find any sites credibly attesting to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is likewise somewhere towards the higher end of the weight range of past buildings.

Corner Garage's price per piece in 2007 dollars (6.60 cents) is also the third highest, but that places it well below those of both Pet Shop (6.80 cents) and Cafe Corner (6.81 cents), and only slightly above those of Grand Emporium (6.54 cents), Town Hall (6.53 cents), and Fire Brigade (6.50 cents). In fact, the first seven buildings all have higher prices per piece in 2007 dollars than the latest seven buildings, with only two exceptions: Green Grocer (with the fifth lowest PPP of all 14 buildings) and Corner Garage (with the third highest PPP of all 14 buildings).

Too many people get hung up over ppp and don't consider that's not the be all and end all of pricing of the sets. Yeah it works OK-as a guide. Aanchir, you've done a good job pointing out how it's not actually as bad as people think. They just see a higher price, a few more pieces and jump straight on the band wagon without looking at the whole picture. The set leaves much to be desired in terms of design from my opinion, but it's definitely not lacking value. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

I keep trying to order it online (it's 12:12am Eastern) and I click "Add to Bag" and it gives me an error.  Grrrr!!!

Yay it finally let me add it to my bag!  Can't wait to build it!

Don't know about everyone else, but I've ordered my CORNER GARAGE. Can't wait to build it out of the box, then mod it!

Happy New (LEGO) Year, everyone!

On 12/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, Aanchir said:

In the grand scheme of things, the Market Street, Town Hall, Assembly Square, and Corner Garage are the ONLY Modular Buildings that have had any major price changes from the buildings before and after them… everything else has largely been just periodic adjustments to account for inflation. When all the Modular Building prices are adjusted to their equivalents in 2007 dollars, there is only a minute difference in price for any of the "normal-sized" buildings. The mean price is $141.14, with a maximum of $146.85 (Brick Bank), a minimum of $133.50 (Palace Cinema), and a median of $140.42 (splitting the difference between the prices of Parisian Restaurant and Downtown Diner).

While Corner Garage's price in 2007 dollars ($169.57) is the third highest, behind Assembly Square ($236.84) and Town Hall ($180.61), the same is true of its piece count (2569, 2766, and 4002, respectively). I cannot speak to its weight at this time, since I still can't find any sites credibly attesting to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is likewise somewhere towards the higher end of the weight range of past buildings.

Corner Garage's price per piece in 2007 dollars (6.60 cents) is also the third highest, but that places it well below those of both Pet Shop (6.80 cents) and Cafe Corner (6.81 cents), and only slightly above those of Grand Emporium (6.54 cents), Town Hall (6.53 cents), and Fire Brigade (6.50 cents). In fact, the first seven buildings all have higher prices per piece in 2007 dollars than the latest seven buildings, with only two exceptions: Green Grocer (with the fifth lowest PPP of all 14 buildings) and Corner Garage (with the third highest PPP of all 14 buildings).

As you said, corner garage is about $30 more than the "normal" inflation adjusted price. Piece count doesnt seem to be that relevant to value, because it can vary wildly depending on how large the average pieces are. And I wouldnt be surprised if, on average, it uses smaller pieces than town hall too. Its been a trend for a while with modulars, and thats the major issue here  I think we'll find that its weight isn't very close to town hall, and closer to normal modulars. (My guess is 6.5/6.6 pounds or 3000 grams, slightly more than others, but not by much).

This is mainly because town hall has a much larger size than corner garage, despite it only being $10 more in 2007 dollars.  Generally older modular buildings had a price per pound of plastic ratio of $24, and newer ones are $28, which isnt that bad when you account for inflation, but I have a feeling the weight per pound of plastic will follow a similar jump in price. I'm expecting around $30, which is about standard for normal lego sets now it seems, but not the good value that modulars used to have in comparison to other lines. 

Basically my issue is that it seems like we're no longer getting the good deal we used to get from modulars and TLG is trending to make them priced more like regular lego sets, which sucks for people like me who can only afford modulars as their "big" sets each year because they were such a good deal compared to usual. 

My entire argument hinges on the weight of it being not much more than other modulars though. If its over 7 pounds or around 3200 grams, I'll take the L because then the price per pound would be about in line with current modulars. And the increase in price would probably just be due to having 3 full floors and detail on all 3 for the first time in a very long time. But I'm not quite convinced yet. 

Edited by chezzymann

I enjoyed the build. Had some cool builds in there. The bay windows were especially nice. I thought they were the pieces from the new-ish Creator townhouse...but surprise! 

The garage section is nicely done as well, albeit a bit cramped(obviously).  The angled front makes it seem like the building is wider than it really is. A neat touch. 

Edited by Vindicare

Isn't it the first time in years that we can order more than just one item of the 10264 per Household/account? I always used more accounts to get two or more sets...but now i can order even 5......???

I can read here the reception of the model are mixed. I'm on the side of the "nay" sayers. It's not the price that is bothering me, it's the seemingly lack of creativity and inspiration of the designer. It feels boring to me, no atmosphere. So much more can be achieved, as we see from MOC modular builds from people around here. That this modular building received the OK from everyone involved beats me. We saw an increase in detail, in design, every year. But this one... brrrrr! As the amount of modulars we have gotten from Lego over the years is filling up my house, it's not necessary a given that I would buy the new one each year. But if I love it, I would buy any modular. I went through the building instructions, which are on-line now, which did not convince me neither. So I'm skipping this one. I hope many will as well, so Lego will get the message and is more critical on the next design. A garage, yes, but not this one. :sick:

Weight for the corner garage is out. 3035g. Crunched the numbers, and I'm wrong. Here's the price per pound value, basically its the price divided by its weight of plastic so you can see how much you are paying for a pound of ABS plastic.  I adjusted it for inflation in 2007 dollars and was surprised by the results. You can clearly see a pattern, lego starts at 24 dollars per pound of ABS plastic, and the value gradually gets better over time, but then they bump it up again every few years to keep up with inflation. It hasn't gone over 24 since 2007. Corner garage, in terms of pure plastic you get, is about the same value as the Parisian restaurant. So having 3 full floors really does make a huge difference in terms of material used. 

Edit: Graph! psPBIpY.png

Unadjusted price per pound of ABS plastic

2007 Cafe Corner: $24.52
2008 Green Grocer: $21.40
2009 Fire Brigade: $24.63
2010 Grand Emporium: $23.44
2011 Pet shop: $24.13
2012 Town Hall: $ 23.73
2013 Palace Cinema: $24.5
2014 Parisian Restaraunt: $27.83
2015 detective office: $27.68
2016 brick bank: $28.099
2017 Assembly Square: $27.210
2018 Downtown Diner: $27.55
2019 Corner Garage: $29.89

Adjusted for 2007 dollars:

2007 Cafe Corner: $24.52
2008 Green Grocer: $20.61
2009 Fire Brigade: $23.80
2010 Grand Emporium: $22.29
2011 Pet shop: $22.24
2012 Town Hall: $21.73
2013 Palace Cinema: $21.81
2014 Parisian Restaraunt: $24.37
2015 detective office: $24.21
2016 brick bank 24.28 (was 23.77)
2017 Assembly Square 23.02 (23.51)
2018 downtown diner: $22.75
2019 Corner Garage: $24.59

Edit2: Also Aanchir, I was cross referencing your excel sheet and noticed that detecives office was listed as 2238g, but that's the piece count. Should be 2624.

Edit3: Messed up brick bank and assembly squares years, new values added 

Edited by chezzymann

20 hours ago, chezzymann said:

As you said, corner garage is about $30 more than the "normal" inflation adjusted price. Piece count doesnt seem to be that relevant to value, because it can vary wildly depending on how large the average pieces are. And I wouldnt be surprised if, on average, it uses smaller pieces than town hall too. Its been a trend for a while with modulars, and thats the major issue here  I think we'll find that its weight isn't very close to town hall, and closer to normal modulars. (My guess is 6.5/6.6 pounds or 3000 grams, slightly more than others, but not by much).

This is mainly because town hall has a much larger size than corner garage, despite it only being $10 more in 2007 dollars.  Generally older modular buildings had a price per pound of plastic ratio of $24, and newer ones are $28, which isnt that bad when you account for inflation, but I have a feeling the weight per pound of plastic will follow a similar jump in price. I'm expecting around $30, which is about standard for normal lego sets now it seems, but not the good value that modulars used to have in comparison to other lines. 

Basically my issue is that it seems like we're no longer getting the good deal we used to get from modulars and TLG is trending to make them priced more like regular lego sets, which sucks for people like me who can only afford modulars as their "big" sets each year because they were such a good deal compared to usual. 

My entire argument hinges on the weight of it being not much more than other modulars though. If its over 7 pounds or around 3200 grams, I'll take the L because then the price per pound would be about in line with current modulars. And the increase in price would probably just be due to having 3 full floors and detail on all 3 for the first time in a very long time. But I'm not quite convinced yet. 

Well, BrickLink has now listed the Corner Garage's weight at 3035 grams/6.691 pounds, so not far from your estimate. That makes it the fourth heaviest Modular Building set after Assembly Square, Town Hall, and Green Grocer.

Its 6.59¢ price per gram/$29.89 price per pound is definitely towards the lower end among the buildings to date, but that's still considerably lower than Detective's Office (7.15¢ per gram/$32.43 per pound), and not much higher than Brick Bank (6.19¢ per gram/$28.09 per pound) or Parisian Restaurant (6.13¢ per gram/$27.81 per pound). I can't say what that means for your purchasing decisions, but a price per gram that falls somewhere between the ones we saw from 2014 to 2016 doesn't seem to indicate any sort of slippery slope effect like you're worried about. If anything, it simply speaks to Downtown Diner being a comparatively good value for its time.

50 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Well, BrickLink has now listed the Corner Garage's weight at 3035 grams/6.691 pounds, so not far from your estimate. That makes it the fourth heaviest Modular Building set after Assembly Square, Town Hall, and Green Grocer.

Its 6.59¢ price per gram/$29.89 price per pound is definitely towards the lower end among the buildings to date, but that's still considerably lower than Detective's Office (7.15¢ per gram/$32.43 per pound), and not much higher than Brick Bank (6.19¢ per gram/$28.09 per pound) or Parisian Restaurant (6.13¢ per gram/$27.81 per pound). I can't say what that means for your purchasing decisions, but a price per gram that falls somewhere between the ones we saw from 2014 to 2016 doesn't seem to indicate any sort of slippery slope effect like you're worried about. If anything, it simply speaks to Downtown Diner being a comparatively good value for its time.

Yeah, I adjusted that ratio to inflation and made a chart in the post above and figured out I was wrong and was underestimating how much inflation would affect that ratio.

And just noticed I accidentally did 3025 instead of 3035, whoops, off .10 cents lol, and that brick bank and assembly square are swapped in years

Edited by chezzymann

12 hours ago, macnavi said:

I can read here the reception of the model are mixed. I'm on the side of the "nay" sayers. It's not the price that is bothering me, it's the seemingly lack of creativity and inspiration of the designer. It feels boring to me, no atmosphere. So much more can be achieved, as we see from MOC modular builds from people around here. That this modular building received the OK from everyone involved beats me. We saw an increase in detail, in design, every year. But this one... brrrrr! As the amount of modulars we have gotten from Lego over the years is filling up my house, it's not necessary a given that I would buy the new one each year. But if I love it, I would buy any modular. I went through the building instructions, which are on-line now, which did not convince me neither. So I'm skipping this one. I hope many will as well, so Lego will get the message and is more critical on the next design. A garage, yes, but not this one. :sick:

I doubt your hopes for people not buying it for the design will go anywhere. There’s likely equal numbers of people who like the design. Hell, there’s even a few people here who have commented, albeit before it came out, that they will still buy it even though they didn’t like it. 

The design is certainly different, but that doesn’t make it lack creativity or inspiration from the designer as you assumed. Some, like myself, are probably quite happy to see a corner building with a drastically changed front facade as this one does. Given the angle of the front, I think it actually looks bigger.