30 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

I share that thought. The more i look at it, the more i think it belongs among another set of buildings rather then the current modulars.

Realistically... I think you could probably say that about MOST of the modulars. The idea of a street made up of the variety of buildings we had even in the first ten years defies any logical sense of zoning. Combining them all one right next to the other results in something more akin to a theme park version of a neighborhood than any sort of realism.

Maybe that's why I've never felt bothered much by a modular not "fitting in" with the rest of them. If I had any desire to build any sort of realistic city layout, I'd have to populate it heavily with custom modulars to transition between the varying architectural styles and types of businesses. But that's never really been the way I play with Lego as an adult fan.

11 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I appreciate the fact that LEGO designers have to budget the amount of parts they can use in a set but this is the first modular where I've felt it blatanty obvious that the designer has had to cut corners to fit everything in. The model has a larger amount of parts than usual but they've still had to sacrifice the tiling on the ground floor interior. I'd have also liked to see interior walls to close off the staircases, unless we want to see the animals and the guy in the apartment all succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning from all the exhaust fumes in the garage. :hmpf_bad:

I also think the roof top terrace could have benefited from a bit more detail. Even just an extra couple of plant pots would have made it feel less empty.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I get the feeling that the decision to leave the ground floor untiled had nothing to do with budget and was more to create a rougher texture that stands out from the paved driveway, same as in Fire Brigade. Tiles would have looked a bit too fancy and clean for a dirty garage/warehouse type floor.

That said, if it were a matter of budget it’d be pretty understandable. Just look at how much more tiled space there is in the front than many other buildings, which are often placed much further forward with a lot of untiled ground in the back.

Looking at the Brick Vault's review of the CG. On youtube the gaps in between the building don't look bad at all from certain angles. And I don't mind them.

20 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

I’m not gonna praise something I do not find any reason to praise. Criticism is important to drive things forward. I’ve praised pretty much all of the other modulars (with some criticism to PC), which I think are great and that the designers on the whole have done an excellent job. But this just doesn't meet the standard of the previous, not even close, and my opinion is strengthened by the unnecessary price increase. It feels lacking in so many ways, and it's important to let the designers know instead of just giving praise when you're not actually satisfied with it. 

I completely agree. I appreciate the designers efforts and am very glad for everybody who likes this modular but I’m not as convinced by CG as the other modulars and the price increase reinforces my disappointment.

6 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

I was way more impressed by WWFS than this, tbh.

Again, I completely agree with you. The exterior of the Winter Village Fire Station was a lot more interesting to look at probably mainly because of the usage of Elves Fences as windows. I wonder if anybody has seen some MOCs by the designer, I didn’t come across anything with the brief research I made.

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 12/5/2018 at 1:26 AM, BrickFit26 said:

i wonder if It can be fixed somehow.

I don't believe so... the designer video shows that you have to hold onto the vehicle in order to raise it without it moving all over the show! I'm not that experienced with Lego, so I would be very happy if I made this contraption, but with the Lego designers having years of experience, it's surprising that they're happy for cars to bounce around like crazy when you raise the car up... I don't quite think this was accomplished with much gusto at all. In my head, prior to the announcement, I thought the car lift would go much higher and be a lot more steady. Maybe someone else who has more experience can shed some light as to whether the car lift is a good build or not... 

17 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Lego designers video is out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgBUOlyr0Y

Thanks for dropping the link. I was checking YT daily to see it. I'm content with the build now. I think it'll make a great addition to the city, and even if it has its own downfalls, it's not like I loved everything about the Cinema. Some buildings are just going to be sub-par I guess on this modular trail. I'm lucky in the sense that I still have so many in boxes and so many left to build. 

13 hours ago, Comon27 said:

It seems the designer video supports the fact that this modular is meant to be a "solid" build. A building on the outskirts that also ties in with the modulars. Excellent description. I can't wait to build and place it in my city :) 

Yes, if that was the brief, then he's succeeded to an extent. I think it'll be a fun build. It's a shame that there's so much disappointment shrouding this one, but hopefully it'll grow to become the accepted, inferior modular in the future, in the sense that all towns have a building that's slightly run down and not as beautiful as the bank or square etc. Looking forward to getting it and adding it to the city (one day, when I have enough space!)! This will be my ninth modular, so I'm hoping that next year's announcement is the perfect one to add my tenth. If not, I may add the Town Hall instead! 

Hmmm....after some days i'm getting used to the pictures and i like it somewhat more....there are some nice elements in the building....but, i do not know yet how i should XL it....especially the gasstation....only making it wider with an extra rolling door would be too simple....anyone ideas?

1 minute ago, LegoSjaak said:

Hmmm....after some days i'm getting used to the pictures and i like it somewhat more....there are some nice elements in the building....but, i do not know yet how i should XL it....especially the gasstation....only making it wider with an extra rolling door would be too simple....anyone ideas?

I'm a big fan of your XL picture LegoSjaak and I think you've highlighted an important issue with this modular and I'll include the diner in this as well. 

Originally modulars were created so there could be enlarged and made more grand. Great examples of this is CC,GE,TH and most other modulars you are able to be expanded in some shape or form. The CG and the diner (though I have seen the diner as a back to back expansion) are not very expandable in my opinion. However, this could just be my lack of imagination haha.

I personally don't expand my modulars so this might sound a little hypercritical, but I like having the option to expand the GE for example. Maybe this is a different route in modulars...

16 hours ago, Aanchir said:

That said, if it were a matter of budget it’d be pretty understandable. Just look at how much more tiled space there is in the front than many other buildings, which are often placed much further forward with a lot of untiled ground in the back.

Two ways to look at this:

Brick Bank covered the entire surface of the baseplate, and every last visible stud of the baseplate was tiled. So Lego can do it - and where the exterior walls are located doesn't matter that much regarding the amount of tiles necessary to fully cover the ground floor (though CG has more open space left, due to its lack of interior walls)

On the other hand: Brick Bank actually was the ONLY corner modular thus far that had interior tiling on the ground floor!

And they've gone back and forth on this before: GG was tiled, GE wasn't, FB wasn't (except for the 8 x 16s indicating the interior driveway), PS was, PC wasn't. The following five then had a tiled ground floor, and now we've gotten one without one again.

40 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Two ways to look at this:

Brick Bank covered the entire surface of the baseplate, and every last visible stud of the baseplate was tiled. So Lego can do it - and where the exterior walls are located doesn't matter that much regarding the amount of tiles necessary to fully cover the ground floor (though CG has more open space left, due to its lack of interior walls)

On the other hand: Brick Bank actually was the ONLY corner modular thus far that had interior tiling on the ground floor!

And they've gone back and forth on this before: GG was tiled, GE wasn't, FB wasn't (except for the 8 x 16s indicating the interior driveway), PS was, PC wasn't. The following five then had a tiled ground floor, and now we've gotten one without one again.

Another thing I think a lot of people fail to consider about Brick Bank is that not only did it only have two floors, but around 30% of the interior space was a big hole that opened up to the first floor (and that’s NOT including the  opening for the stairwell). I imagine that huge empty space probably has a lot to do with its ability to pack so much detail into a building that extends all the way from a standard size pavement to the back of the baseplate, with no cutouts or bevels on either the street-facing or rear-facing corners!

The Corner Garage not only has three floors, but the two upper floors are each only around 12% smaller than the ground floor due to the garage door sticking out about four studs further than the right front wall of the upper floors. It’s probably for this reason that despite complaints about the footprint or interior being too small compared to past buildings, it actually has the most floor space than any standard-size building since the Pet Shop! I wrote out that and other comparisons with past modular buildings (piece count, height of the main roof line, price with and without inflation adjustments, minifigure count, etc.) in this spreadsheet.

I think a lot of people also tend to be too quick to assume stuff that hasn’t shown up in a modular building in a while must no longer be considered in line with the series’ current design standards, rather than just that it’s been years since the series had a suitable type of architecture or type of business for those sorts of parts and techniques. On the Brickset forums I got into an argument that ran far too long with somebody who was extremely disappointed with the door that opens to the stairwell, because doors that shape hadn’t appeared on the front of a modular building since Pet Shop, which to them meant that piece was no longer suitable for front doors in expert level sets.

9 hours ago, street87 said:

Here is the designer video.

So much for the theory that it was Mike that was the designer :shrug_oh_well:

After watching Brickvault's review, I think I agree with them for the most part. The architectural style doesn't appeal too much to me and I don't like the gaps between the angled parts. The color scheme of the ground floor is very nice and the color scheme of the first and second floor is great but together, they don't fit very well in my opinion. I do like the innovative techniques/parts usage that give architectural details though, such as the roofline and the window designs on the right side.

I think that the lamppost is out of place as Brickvault mentioned. I really like the petrol pump island though and the sign above it, I think it's greatly detailed. About the tree, I think it's a nice idea to use the new leaf pieces but the tree doesn't look realistic to me... I've seen a more realistic tree using those new leaf pieces but it uses way too many of them, so I guess it would have been better to use a tree like the one in the Brick Bank... 

Spoiler

The more realistic tree I mentioned:

43790022331_4ac763d947_c.jpgMountaintop Shrine by Grant Davis, on Flickr

The garage is nice but lacking some details. Luckily, the space is used a lot better in the animal clinic. The apartment has some nice furniture builds but it lacks lots of important things like a shower, a cupboard, a table, a fridge etc. and the most disappointing thing is that there is enough space for most of that... :sceptic: I now understand why some people say this almost looks like a WIP... And I don't understand how the piece count of the Corner Garage can be so high considering that the ground floor is even not tiled and some important things are missing. I guess it's because of the shaping and some architectural details that require small pieces...

The minifigures are nice but I wish they had some new/exclusive prints.

This still remains to be a pretty cheap with something around 0,074 cents per piece here in France but I wish the modular series continued their incredibly cheap price to parts ratio with the Downtown Diner being around 0,064 per piece (lol, exactly one cent cheaper)... I'll still probably purchase this as a parts pack for my future MOCs... :wink:

By the way, I think that it would be great if @Rick could unlock the Modular Rumours and Discussions topic, this is a good time to open in my opinion... :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I wrote out that and other comparisons with past modular buildings (piece count, height of the main roof line, price with and without inflation adjustments, minifigure count, etc.) in this spreadsheet.

Thanks for that, I was originally concerned there wouldn't be much floor space, this definitely puts my mind at ease.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I wrote out that and other comparisons with past modular buildings (piece count, height of the main roof line, price with and without inflation adjustments, minifigure count, etc.) in this spreadsheet.

Thanks for the spreadsheet. It made good reading. I have every modular since they started and enjoy the variety of design. I am just thankful that we get one every year and that LEGO caters for the older buyer. It was not like that in 1985 when I started collecting all of the LEGO Town and Train sets. 

Like almost always, not a love a very first sight, but after seeing the designer video, it grew on me, much faster than with DD.. Plus, we were a lot to complain that we were missing massive buildings and were missing the initial modulars, complaining about the play feature not needed, or having too big hands to get into the building.. 

I believe TLC has listened to that feedback and I am happy they did! It will be a great addition, bringing diversity and another bigger height modular - what about adding a couple of extra floors :devil_laugh:

So in my mind, the price increase is justified, as it pleases the ones complaining about the reduced size modulars, while keeping others happy with the interior play features and details.. And I really like the 45 degrees angle as well, nice building techniques upfront!

Also I can't agree more with @Aanchir regarding the ground floor titling, there is so much in the front, and a garage, well unless it is retail garage, does not have clean and tiled floors IMO..

Merci Lars Joe!

Edited by SwissBrick
Added a sentence

This is certainly an interesting Modular, probably one of my favourites already; purely because it's a building with functions! The garage door isn't something I'd have thought to do, even if it makes the side walls a bit ugly. The Tow Truck has some excellent parts usage around, making a beautifully compact design. And the car lift...

8 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

I don't believe so... the designer video shows that you have to hold onto the vehicle in order to raise it without it moving all over the show! I'm not that experienced with Lego, so I would be very happy if I made this contraption, but with the Lego designers having years of experience, it's surprising that they're happy for cars to bounce around like crazy when you raise the car up... I don't quite think this was accomplished with much gusto at all. In my head, prior to the announcement, I thought the car lift would go much higher and be a lot more steady. Maybe someone else who has more experience can shed some light as to whether the car lift is a good build or not...

...I'm in two minds about. It's nice they included it, and the mechanism for actuating it from outside the building is good, but on the whole it's underwhelming. To me at least, it looks quite thin, weak and wobbly, exactly what you DON'T want in something you're going to be working underneath! I would have at least provided another vertical rail on the "open" side, but that might get in the way of the interior play space.

Other things I don't like so much about the model include those deep gaps down the front, and how the pavement would match up to adjacent buildings. However, I love the colours (of the ground floor section at least), and it's interesting to see LEGO stepping away from the city-centre high-street and going on a tour of the back roads.

Overall I'm pleased with this addition to the line-up.

I have not read through all 17 pages, but the third floor apartment bugs me.  I guess the bed is by the window?  So he has a small kitchen, the bed and then the living room with tv.  And cookies.  And a corner toilet, so no shower, no place to store clothes, no place to do much but bake cookies and watch TV.  Just not a good use of that floor in my opinion, but hey, access to the roof where he can get a tan and bring his cookies for guests.  I do like it, but just looks way too cluttered, again with putting 3 things in one build, just do a garage or just do a vet's office, stop cramming so much into one build that it looks so over cluttered it doesn't work.  Who goes to their Vet's office above a garage?

56 minutes ago, Herky said:

I have not read through all 17 pages, but the third floor apartment bugs me.  I guess the bed is by the window?  So he has a small kitchen, the bed and then the living room with tv.  And cookies.  And a corner toilet, so no shower, no place to store clothes, no place to do much but bake cookies and watch TV.  Just not a good use of that floor in my opinion, but hey, access to the roof where he can get a tan and bring his cookies for guests.  I do like it, but just looks way too cluttered, again with putting 3 things in one build, just do a garage or just do a vet's office, stop cramming so much into one build that it looks so over cluttered it doesn't work.  Who goes to their Vet's office above a garage?

What other purpose should it be then? I agree with many here that a vet is quite an odd one.

53 minutes ago, BrickBuilder1 said:

Thanks for that, I was originally concerned there wouldn't be much floor space, this definitely puts my mind at ease.

It certainly might still be a slight challenge to make the most efficient use of all that floor space using conventional building techniques since the walls are not all aligned with the studded grid, so it might (for example) make it a little more of a challenge than usual to attach additional furniture in a way that it's flush with the 45 degree angled walls. But these are hardly insurmountable challenges or ones that outweigh the opportunities that come with being able to work with a building that has such an interesting floor plan.

Just now, Herky said:

I have not read through all 17 pages, but the third floor apartment bugs me.  I guess the bed is by the window?  So he has a small kitchen, the bed and then the living room with tv.  And cookies.  And a corner toilet, so no shower, no place to store clothes, no place to do much but bake cookies and watch TV.

Honestly when you start to pick the modular buildings apart on a real-life practical level, you can start finding these kinds of omissions and impracticalities all over the place. For example

• Fire Brigade has no clothes for the firefighters to wear when not wearing their fire suits. If you've ever seen a real fire suit, you know it's not something you'd want to live/sleep in when not responding to a fire! I guess you can pretend they're in the nondescript brown dresser, but that doesn't really suffice from a role play perspective. Also, the only sleeping accommodation is a couch. Another thing that strikes me as odd after seeing the Winter Village Fire Station is that there is no radio or telephone. How exactly do they hear what's going on outside the immediate vicinity of their fire station? Finally, of course, no bathrooms at all, though I guess in this case you can pretend the firefighters are rowdy folk who simply hose down in the garage after fighting fires.
  • Grand Emporium, of course, has just ONE escalator connecting every two floors, which doesn't make much sense if you know how escalators work. For a store its size, it would also be surprising in real life for it to have no stockroom, manager's office, bathrooms, or any sort of rooms or facilities where employees can go that isn't right out in the public where people are shopping. And again, no bathroom, but that was normal for when this set came out. Also, there's no way to get onto the roof except from the window washer's platform, which raises the question of how he connects the platform to the roof or gets onto the platform in the first place. Maybe from an adjacent building…
  • The Pet Shop set introduces the first bathroom and telephone in the series… but in the vacant and otherwise largely unfurnished apartment next door. The Pet Shop itself and the upstairs apartment have no bathroom or phone. The upstairs kitchen has an oven, stove, sink, coffee machine, and dining table, but no drawers, cabinets, fridge, or pantry for dining implements and food. The only food item in the official photos is… whoops… the fish from the pet shop downstairs (I guess the dead fish in the vet's office photos is part of a larger trend of wanton cruelty to goldfish)! It has a loft-style bedroom, but no dresser for clothes. It makes the Corner Garage's bachelor pad feel downright luxurious!
  • Town Hall has, again, no bathroom (although I suppose the expectation in most LEGO sets is that buyers typically tend to associate bathroom-related storytelling with homes or schools, not businesses and civic centers). While the secretary's computer has been criticized for seeming out of place for the supposed pre-1940s setting, it at least helps excuse her lack of a telephone or other means of communication. I'm not really sure enough about what other practical stuff a Town Hall is supposed to have that it doesn't accommodate for, and I suppose that perhaps the designers were counting on that. :P
  • Right from the start, Palace Cinema lacks any bathrooms. What it also lacks are curtains to cover its many windows while showing a film, which has got to be inconvenient with so many lights outside shining directly towards the building (although I suppose it could be argued the open windows are to enhance its value as a display piece by letting you see what's happening inside without removing the roof). The theater has a projector, but also no obvious speakers (even if it's a silent film it should have either pre-recorded or live music to accompany it).
  • Parisian Restaurant has the most well stocked kitchen yet, as well as a fairly serviceable kitchenette for its apartment tenant upstairs, but alas, still not another bathroom (also, have you noticed at this point that there hasn't been a fire hydrant since the Green Grocer? That's going to remain the status quo for the foreseeable future. Must make things hard for the firefighters, since their truck is plainly not a tanker vehicle).
  • Detective's Office has the first public bathroom we've seen! But the apartment above it has no obvious amenities except the illicit cookie kitchen: certainly not a bed, shower, or even armchair in sight. The pool hall's lack of obvious snacks or drinks can be forgiven due to what was almost certainly a purposeful attempt to downplay its resemblance to a bar/pub, even if the style and storytelling are an obvious wink and nod to that association. The barbershop and detective's office, at least, seem adequately furnished for what they are.

I could go on but there's not much of a point. Suffice to say, generally the way things work out in practice is that buyers will shape the types of scenarios they imagine inside a set around what the contents of the set allow, and if there's enough of those to keep their imaginations active, then they won't be so worried about what kinds of scenarios it DOESN'T allow for.

12 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

In my head, prior to the announcement, I thought the car lift would go much higher and be a lot more steady. Maybe someone else who has more experience can shed some light as to whether the car lift is a good build or not...

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

To me at least, it looks quite thin, weak and wobbly, exactly what you DON'T want in something you're going to be working underneath! I would have at least provided another vertical rail on the "open" side, but that might get in the way of the interior play space.

There are a myriad of car lifting options with a huge range of rise capabilities/options. The one in this garage is more like the easy to set up and install scissor lifts, they're among the more affordable powered vehicle lifts but they don't go very high.

As a garage that is part of a fuel station this looks like the type of establishment that might be restricted to flat tire repairs and oil changes as opposed to major mechanical work like transmission rebuilding and major suspension replacement where a two post lift would be superior. Picturing the building of a two post style lift that maintains the functional play/operating features like this one in minifigure scale might become a tad bulky in construction.

As a mechanic who's used hydraulic lifts I think they did a good job. There's not stuff in the way like there would be modeled on other lift types, it allows the vehicle to be 'driven' onto and played with and it works via external control.

13 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

I don't believe so... the designer video shows that you have to hold onto the vehicle in order to raise it without it moving all over the show! I'm not that experienced with Lego, so I would be very happy if I made this contraption, but with the Lego designers having years of experience, it's surprising that they're happy for cars to bounce around like crazy when you raise the car up... I don't quite think this was accomplished with much gusto at all. In my head, prior to the announcement, I thought the car lift would go much higher and be a lot more steady. 

Yea. It looked more stable in the desginer video when the designer was doing it.

One thing that I keep coming back that bothers me is the bathroom in the kitchen. I hate it. That space is better as a refrigerator or a pantry.

7 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

One thing that I keep coming back that bothers me is the bathroom in the kitchen. I hate it. That space is better as a refrigerator or a pantry.

Well, I've seen that in real life, more times than you'd imagine. But I agree, that could have been done a bit different. What bothers me also is that the bed is so close to the kitchen. I'd want that as far away from an open kitchen as possible... 

For me it's a set full of compromises. I'd want a wall between the garage and the stairs to the vet. The waiting area for the vet is quite large when compared to the actual practice. One of those couches would be very welcome in the apartment upstairs, which I would rearrange so the kitchen was indeed not next to the bathroom, the latter I would seek to expand a little to include a shower.

Fun thing is: that can easily be achieved with bricks I very probably have lying around.

On the whole I agree with @Aanchir. All Creator Modulars have plenty of things that are missing or not in line with real life, even looking back to the period in which the buildings are presumably set. Lego have again at least tried to make something of all the floors. I have green grocers/pet shop and that is really skimpy on interior - though handily disguised by having one house being "redecorated".

Less happy with yet again upping the price. 

14 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Another thing I think a lot of people fail to consider about Brick Bank is that not only did it only have two floors, but around 30% of the interior space was a big hole that opened up to the first floor (and that’s NOT including the  opening for the stairwell). I imagine that huge empty space probably has a lot to do with its ability to pack so much detail into a building that extends all the way from a standard size pavement to the back of the baseplate, with no cutouts or bevels on either the street-facing or rear-facing corners!

The Corner Garage not only has three floors, but the two upper floors are each only around 12% smaller than the ground floor due to the garage door sticking out about four studs further than the right front wall of the upper floors. It’s probably for this reason that despite complaints about the footprint or interior being too small compared to past buildings, it actually has the most floor space than any standard-size building since the Pet Shop! I wrote out that and other comparisons with past modular buildings (piece count, height of the main roof line, price with and without inflation adjustments, minifigure count, etc.) in this spreadsheet.

I think a lot of people also tend to be too quick to assume stuff that hasn’t shown up in a modular building in a while must no longer be considered in line with the series’ current design standards, rather than just that it’s been years since the series had a suitable type of architecture or type of business for those sorts of parts and techniques. On the Brickset forums I got into an argument that ran far too long with somebody who was extremely disappointed with the door that opens to the stairwell, because doors that shape hadn’t appeared on the front of a modular building since Pet Shop, which to them meant that piece was no longer suitable for front doors in expert level sets.

Thanks for that spreadshee, and also thanks for your other writeup detailing the various items missing from the modulars.

It's extremely hard to do a fully furnished apartment within the limited floorspace a modular offers. Having built several MOCs with apartments in them - and always trying to include every basic necessity - I usually ran out of space quickly. Thus some of my MOCs are missing stuff like a fridge or a bathroom, too.

What Lego usually does (since they really started on interiors) is to try to include enough detail to make it look 'full', and enough possibilities to keep the minifigures occupied. The interiors Lego does usually represent backdrops to scenes you could play out rather than fully detailed, realistic renditions of the subject matter.

A common criticism of pretty much all the modulars is the lack of walls separating the stairwell from the apartment/business on the respective level. And while I fully understand that that feels odd, I absolutely get why Lego does that: Having separated landings takes up a lot of space, without offering additional value whatsoever. You need a bunch of bricks and an additional door for, and you basically get nothing in return except for the added realism (of course, you could pose minifigs walking along the hallway, which would be very exciting...or maybe the opposite)

For example, in the Corner Garage, look at this pic of the first floor with the vets clinic, and try to work out where a wall separating the stairway from the clinic would go: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4811/44343921830_2ab3098dc5_b.jpg

Notice how they conveniently placed sofas next to the stairway on both floors in this modular? This means they gain a stud of floor space that otherwise would have had to used for a banister. Having sofas in hallways makes no sense, so in our hallway we'd need a banister, which would use the first row of studs besides the stairs. The hallway itself would need at least three studs if you wanted it to be big enough to realistically pose minifigs in there (even with three studs they would have to raise one arm above the banister, though, unless you also put in some jumpers on the floor).
So an interior wall separating the stairway from the vet would be located on the fifth stud counting from the stairs up (that's where the right half of the small table is)! And where it turns towards the down stairs, you would move the existing interior wall two studs towards the stairway, matching it up with the existing corner of the exterior wall. Basically, you would lose most of the  space that is now used for the waiting area. You could still squeeze in a smaller waiting area, but it would be hard to reach in there.
Of course, you can get away with the hallway being just two studs + the banister (as I have done in my Outdoor Store, for example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131278188@N08/29445711430/in/album-72157672774050580/), but doing that means that you can only ever pose minifigs in there sideways...

I think that's also the reason why Lego likes doing exterior staircases so much: You don't need the bricks to enclose the stairs AND having the staircase outside actually allows for play. You can have figs walking from floor to floor easily, while with interior staircases you have to get the next floor to do that...

Does anyone know if there is going to be/has already been a 'Julefrokost Event' at Lego house this year. Last year we got to hear Mike talk about the process for the DD. It'd be VERY interesting to hear the process for this years CG as it seems so empty. I'd be surprised if they didn't use the event to win people over a little bit to the building...

I may be mistaken, but we've not heard from Lars Joe before have we?

Edit: I know he's talked about architecture themes before, I meant on modulars.

Edited by jonahtron

7 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I think that's also the reason why Lego likes doing exterior staircases so much: You don't need the bricks to enclose the stairs AND having the staircase outside actually allows for play. You can have figs walking from floor to floor easily, while with interior staircases you have to get the next floor to do that...

It's mostly to do with economical brick use, I think. As do a lot of things that are not realistic in the modulars. And I have no problem with that. It's almost impossible to make Modulars more realistic without hiking the cost to an unrealistic level, if at all because of space constraints. For this set - as I mentioned in my previous post - I would customize it by adding a wall separating the stairs to the Vet from the garage, but not in the Vet waiting room, because it's not even that unrealistic to have it like it is, apart from the fact there's no door to the apartment on the top floor.