22 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Everyday it grows on me, but I find small things that make me go :wacko:. I just noticed that from looking at it from the front the Dr. Jones vet sign is like 90% blocked off by the Corner Garage sign. :sceptic:

You mean on the box art? Because it's not a problem with the real model. Unless you are looking at it form the exact same angle as shown on the box, there is nothing blocked. Don't forget the real model is "3D"...

(look at the brickset review for example, it's not blocked in any of the pictures.)

https://brickset.com/article/40442/review-10264-corner-garage

I’m not gonna praise something I do not find any reason to praise. Criticism is important to drive things forward. I’ve praised pretty much all of the other modulars (with some criticism to PC), which I think are great and that the designers on the whole have done an excellent job. But this just doesn't meet the standard of the previous, not even close, and my opinion is strengthened by the unnecessary price increase. It feels lacking in so many ways, and it's important to let the designers know instead of just giving praise when you're not actually satisfied with it. 

1 hour ago, Bainter-ban said:

I’m not gonna praise something I do not find any reason to praise. Criticism is important to drive things forward. I’ve praised pretty much all of the other modulars (with some criticism to PC), which I think are great and that the designers on the whole have done an excellent job. But this just doesn't meet the standard of the previous, not even close, and my opinion is strengthened by the unnecessary price increase. It feels lacking in so many ways, and it's important to let the designers know instead of just giving praise when you're not actually satisfied with it. 

this.

The more I look at it the more I think if one modular was the opportunity to bring back sand red then it would have been this. Just imagine all those dark orange bricks in sand red instead...

On 12/4/2018 at 8:04 PM, Vindicare said:

I’m sorry, this is too funny though. It’s the sets fault because some people don’t like it? So, for all those people who do like it, who’s at fault there? The drama...

No idea, but I guess you could just ask all three of them yourself. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It’s completely stupid & nonsensical to compare official sets to MOC’s.

Also, way to stifle the drama. :wink:

I appreciate the fact that LEGO designers have to budget the amount of parts they can use in a set but this is the first modular where I've felt it blatanty obvious that the designer has had to cut corners to fit everything in. The model has a larger amount of parts than usual but they've still had to sacrifice the tiling on the ground floor interior. I'd have also liked to see interior walls to close off the staircases, unless we want to see the animals and the guy in the apartment all succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning from all the exhaust fumes in the garage. :hmpf_bad:

I also think the roof top terrace could have benefited from a bit more detail. Even just an extra couple of plant pots would have made it feel less empty.

I'm surprised by the severity of criticism as I was immediately pleased seeing the pictures for the first time earlier this week.
I especially like the design around the roof sections, the Octan branding & retro-styled colors for the garage section, and the truck looks very nice.

I was wondering if my opinion was due to a LEGO brand / Modular Buildings halo effect or bias.  But I've taken a look at a lot of different reviews and pictures this week and still feel that it's a solid Modular based on the overall aesthetic, building technique, layout, size, and scenes within.
Plus, it's not like there aren't other Modular sets that I don't like very much (10190 : Market-Street and 10232 : Palace-Cinema).

In fact, I only really have two issues with the model itself:

• I think the gaps between the wall sections are fine but I wish there weren't dark and medium stone grey parts among the dark orange within those gaps.  And even that is a minor gripe since the LEGO group obviously can't make every part in every color.
  • I don't like the tree at all. Then again, I've never found the trees in the modular sets to be particularly nice, especially the tree in 10251 : Brick-Bank.

A couple of things I'm indifferent about are the choice of minifigures.  None of them seem outstanding but I'm not interested in these sort of sets for the minifigure selection anyway.

While the price tag is a bit high, it still seems reasonable to me.
The build just seems larger than most of the recent modulars (excluding 10255 : Assembly Square) and part count makes sense.
I guess I won't know for sure until it's built and sitting next the rest of them...

Just now, lomis said:

In fact, I only really have two issues with the model itself:

• I think the gaps between the wall sections are fine but I wish there weren't dark and medium stone grey parts among the dark orange within those gaps.  And even that is a minor gripe since the LEGO group obviously can't make every part in every color.
  • I don't like the tree at all. Then again, I've never found the trees in the modular sets to be particularly nice, especially the tree in 10251 : Brick-Bank.

Interesting that you don't like the tree. I'm not against the tree but I feel I will definitely move it when it's in my layout. goes right against the lamppost of the diner if you connect them together. 

I completely agree with you on your first issue. The gaps don't bother me too much, it's just the grey colour that doesn't look appealing. After having a few days looking at it, the modular has definitely grown on me. I'd be really interested to see if anyone get two and outs them next to each other in a way that ncx showed earlier but over 2 baseplates.

5 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

+1

15 minutes ago, Comon27 said:

Interesting that you don't like the tree. I'm not against the tree but I feel I will definitely move it when it's in my layout. goes right against the lamppost of the diner if you connect them together. 

Yeah, it's not like I have a huge interest in trees or anything. I just think they go wrong more often than right in LEGO sets.

The only brick-built trees I can even think of that look good to me are those from 10247 : Ferris-Wheel:

10247_alt4?hei=300&wid=300&fit=constrain

I'm going to jump on the hate train too, toot toot mf-ers.

As a whole, I hate it. The garage is nice but doesn't suit a multi level building. The building above isn't balanced terribly well and breaks the continuity of the lines of the building - the windows are all different sizes and shapes and don't line up. And it's a shame they didn't get to use the new coral colour either. The gaps, the lack of tiles on the ground floor, everything about it really feels a bit spartan. I think it will make a reasonable parts pack, albeit expensive, which is fortunate as that may be all it ends up being for me.

15 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

The more I look at it, the more my largest issue becomes the colour. In some pictures it looks more brown than orange, and I think that makes it look so much better than the very bright orange that comes across in other pictures. Maybe if the top two floors were done in reddish brown the building would look more appealing.

I'm perhaps in the 40% that is looking forward to building this and quite pleased with the photos and reveal. But regarding colour -- I like the inclusion of rare-ish sand blue windows on the top two floors but since the even more rare dark green ones appear on the main floor, I think it would have served to unify the whole building by carrying those dark green windows up to second and third floors. They would look smashing with the dark orange.

Or, can you imagine if, instead of dark orange, the designers would have carried the dark red stripe influence up and built the entire second and third floor in dark red with black window frames? That would have been excellent, and really put it over the top.

- f

21 hours ago, Maartenh said:

Brickvault review is online on Youtube, dark orange seems less appealing in this :(

I agree. With the brickset photos, I thought... humm... the Brickvault video I thought... horrible dark orange... funny, I love the city hall...

Now that some days has past, I've reflected some more on this new modular.

The Downtown Diner is an impressive build as a stand-alone, but to me doesn't fit in well with the older modulars. The style was simply too different. With Corner Garage, I feel like LEGO attempts to bridge the two styles and combine them in one model. And the result doesn't really work for me. I love dark orange and think the top floors are pretty nice looking, with some nice colours and details. And the Indiana Jones vet is possibly my favorite printed part in any modular so far. But the garage part... not so much. I'm not into garages and I don't think this particular garage is all that it could be; but it's the combination of the two that hurts the overall impression the most, for me.

While garages in residentual areas, with appartments on top, is actually fairly common where I come from, having an actual gas station there is not. I know this is LEGO and that we shouldn't obsess too much about realism, and I usually don't. But this detail is too far fetched, even for me.

I maintain that I will still get it eventually (in a sale), but I'll be modding out the garage for sure.

The Gas station needs to go, maybe add plants there... I think even with this mod, it will still look odd. I agree, the Diner did not fit with the others, and this is just more extreme...

is anybody working on a LDD to see what can be modded?

I definitely look forward to buying and building this set.  Corner Garage looks great!

Just now, Factioneer said:

Oh, interesting. Anyone know some history on this designer, ie, previous sets or themes worked on?

- f

He designed the Winter Village Fire Station.

Interesting designer video. So Mike wasn't the designer. He also said they always think how the new modular will fit in with the rest and then said that the CG does fit in well on the "outskirts of the city."

12 hours ago, incognito said:

You mean on the box art? Because it's not a problem with the real model. Unless you are looking at it form the exact same angle as shown on the box, there is nothing blocked. Don't forget the real model is "3D"...

(look at the brickset review for example, it's not blocked in any of the pictures.)

https://brickset.com/article/40442/review-10264-corner-garage

Yes. From that angle. From other angles it it's visible. The 2nd and 3rd floors can also be swapped so the Vet sign can be seen better.

Edited by BrickFit26

As more I see it, as more I like it. It already looks kinda shabby, what about make it more... madmax-ish? Like almost abondoned? That would be AWESOME! :wub_drool: Reminds me somehow of something from GTA too... :cry_happy:

12 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

I was way more impressed by WWFS than this, tbh.

Same. I was actually thinking about how I like the Winter Village Fire Station better than the modular Fire Brigade. I think that's probably because it's more difficult to get interesting building shapes and varying depths when you're working with the restrictions of modular buildings. Detective's Office, Assembly Square, Downtown Diner, and Parisian Restaurant do this best, in my opinion. He really did try to get a cool shape with the CG, but I don't think it quite works with the subject matter. Honestly, I prefer the garage/gas station from 10184 Town Plan a decade ago. But that also was done without having to be concerned about incorporating modular building restrictions (like standard connection points, the need for a multi-story building, etc.). 

It seems the designer video supports the fact that this modular is meant to be a "solid" build. A building on the outskirts that also ties in with the modulars. Excellent description. I can't wait to build and place it in my city :) 

5 minutes ago, Comon27 said:

A building on the outskirts that also ties in with the modulars. Excellent description.

I share that thought. The more i look at it, the more i think it belongs among another set of buildings rather then the current modulars.

13 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

No idea, but I guess you could just ask all three of them yourself. :laugh:

Also, way to stifle the drama. :wink:

There’s no drama in my comment. You conveniently left out the parts of why it’s both stupid & nonsensical, which is fact. MOCers can use as many pieces as they want to. They aren’t limited to a piece number, or a price, or what’s in the inventory of the company. If they want a part that isn’t in production, they can just hop on Bricklink & buy it. The only limit MOCers have is their walllet.