1 hour ago, paupadros said:

I don't think designers are forced to use new pieces made for that year.

I think designers are forced to use the new molds, or at least new colors of an existing mold, in every new sets. This is pure business. It is not good for the business, if the lego fan can copy/rebuild the exact same stuff from his/her existing bricks. And therefor the new bricks (molds, colors) are usually used at critical places. And we have to buy the new sets. And TLG following this rule since, well... maybe the beginning.

Just now, kodlovag said:

I think designers are forced to use the new molds, or at least new colors of an existing mold, in every new sets. This is pure business. It is not good for the business, if the lego fan can copy/rebuild the exact same stuff from his/her existing bricks. And therefor the new bricks (molds, colors) are usually used at critical places. And we have to buy the new sets. And TLG following this rule since, well... maybe the beginning.

It has become a lot easier over the years to produce new bricks/molds as well as colors. Don't think it's such a big deal any longer is it?

21 minutes ago, kodlovag said:

I agree. Can this model be built via bricklink? if so, how much is it... I built a BL GG because I missed out on that one. it is not 100% correct because of the green 1x2's... but I like it and I have the GG... sorta. I feel this is the same. Collectible minifigures again... out of ideas.

also, I am not bashing on the design. If the designer were to read all this.... it sounds petty, it is just a LEGO. I am just stating its not one of my favorites..

20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

See, this kind of thing is just a shitty thing to say, regardless of who designed the set. If you wouldn't tell the designer that to their face, maybe second guess whether it's an okay thing to say about them without even knowing who they are.

The decorative brick pattern to me looks quite authentic to the sort of American architectural landscape you might see a gas station like this in.

Yep.

Unfortunately, people often tend to lash out with unsubstantiated claims when something isn't to their liking.

21 hours ago, paupadros said:

I was thinking about what Jamie said to a recent HispaBrick interview. He said something along the lines of: "We often go for houses that are recognisable or that the fans can relate to", when asked about a building in Art Nouveau style. The two last entries to the line don't seem to prove so... :hmpf_bad:.

If the Diner isn't one of the most recognizable buildings in the modular line, then what is?

It's perfectly fine if you don't like it, but saying it's not recognizable is steep.

1 hour ago, kodlovag said:

I think that's ascribing a bit too much of a profit-driven motive to the decision. While, yes, designers try to make sure each set offers something new in terms of molds and recolors, they also have good reason beyond pure business to WANT to include more recent molds. After all, parts that weren't available for the previous set in a series open up new opportunities for designers as well as for MOCists, and it's in designers' interests to take advantage of those opportunities to provide a novel building experience that hasn't already been satisfied by earlier models.

This new garage, for its part, makes a lot of use of both the 1x1 rounded plate and the 1x1 "peaked roof" tile to make its unique angled walls work.

28 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

If the Diner isn't one of the most recognizable buildings in the modular line, then what is?

It's perfectly fine if you don't like it, but saying it's not recognizable is steep.

I think Jamie meant it in the sense of "a kind of building most people have at least seen". This has no link to the fact I don't really like the new modular. :classic: In fact, reflecting on that, I've not come across many buildings that look like PR, for instance.

19 hours ago, Comon27 said:

Interesting you say this. I would have to disagree with you though.

-I think the GE's exterior is fantastic. It nails a classic central London shopping centre (and maybe other European cities too) and due to it being one of the early modulars, I can forgive its interior.

-The PC also had a good exterior however for it's era, the interior left one wanting more I feel. Something was missing but I can't quite put my finger on it but I thought it was a great set personally. Someone earlier mentioned that it was the modular that most people had on Brickset. This might be due to many keen AFOLs expanding it. 

I think TLG thought consumers were bored of just having a single purpose building, especially because they released a modular only once a year, so a multipurpose building would satisfy more customers. 

Finally the CG. A really different build to all of the rest. As I've said before, I just need to figure how it would work with the pavement going round it and it should be fine. A "solid" build as someone has already described it as. Not every building in a city is a show stopper and this is one of those "solid" builds.

Totally agree! Thank you!! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, miamiguy119 said:

.....And the stickers that actually hide behind other elements like the element in the center of the garage roof doesn’t seem thought out.

There`s no stickers, only prints. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

....I just noticed that from looking at it from the front the Dr. Jones vet sign is like 90% blocked off by the Corner Garage sign. :sceptic:

Agree, how could that pass, but why not just swap the two yellow signs? Problem solved! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Exactly. The dramatics need to be toned down a lot. Insulting the designers efforts because you don’t like the building is unnecessary.

Again, exactly. Not every building has to be a modern marvel, this line is meant to show a town. Towns consist of all kinds of different buildings. I think the build is going to be on par with every other Modular.

The same folks ranting and hating on this, did the same to the PR when it released. Arguing it was too small, bad value, Lego was shortchanging everyone yada yada. Now they love it as an artistic masterpiece. When TH came out the bitched it was an ugly featureless overpriced box of air only valued for the dark orange. Now they hold it up as the standard for scale and presence. Seeing a pattern here? DD they hated, until they loved it. AS they hated because itwasn’t The same as what they had pictured in their head on hearing the name. 

The takeaway is a solid portion of the fandom will always complain, and is never satisfied in the internet. They will typically buy it, and by next year it will be the best thing ever, much better than whatever the next new thing to complain about is. (Those few that don’t buy will be complaining when it gets retired, that they didn’t get it.) 

4 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Just thinking: do we know who designed it? It's not a Jamie design is it?

I think it’s a Mike Psiaki design, but I could be wrong. I don’t think they have formally said yet. 

Just now, Faefrost said:

I think it’s a Mike Psiaki design, but I could be wrong. I don’t think they have formally said yet. 

Yes that make most sense, since he did the last one..

Maybe it is a pattern forming that when anyone else than Jamie do them, they do two in a row *huh*

This is pure speculation from me, and I can remember incorrectly, but Astrid did TH and PC and if Mike did this and DD :shrug_oh_well: Who did DO and BB?

It would make some sense since they can work on both at the same time, if they find a clever build, but it do not fit with the first one they can use it on the second one..

Certainly has been a lot of discussion on the new modular. I thought I'd give it a few days to see if I felt any different. On the whole I find the best way to describe it is a 'solid' modular. I don't think I could describe it as 'great' or even 'outstanding' - I find it sadly doesn't really stand out at all visually on the boxart with the diner and assembly square beside it. If anything the diner still catches me eye more! Nevertheless on its own I find the design quite pleasing even if there were a few things I would change. The genre is my preferred era to create my own buildings, after all Lego lends itself well to straight lines! :classic:

The things I like are the corner shaping, the garage exterior colour combination and design, some really useful new parts, the new colour moped and for once a vehicle I actually like - yay! :classic:

The things I am less than impressed with are the choice of colour, I would of much rather had a new colour or something we haven't seen before in a modular series. The minifigures to me are a little underwhelming as I already got most those torso's already from BAP this year, I was hoping for something exclusive or new for 2019. Lastly I find the interior a bit uninspired, admittedly these kind of buildings don't have chimneys or much in terms of internal decoration so perhaps not realistic to expect something full of charm.

As for the price 'increase' - it's perhaps a little on the high side. I won't be rushing out to buy this modular, I'll look to purchase on sale if possible. What I find amazing I've seen people say they don't like it but they will still purchase it anyway - TLG financial people will be laughing all the way to the bank with that one!

A few other thoughts I had on this modular;

Maybe this modular has been brought forward from 2020 to compliment the diner. When the diner came out many people said it doesn't fit in with other buildings etc. TLG have put out a similar age property which 'blends' in with the street scene in this new CG. Looking at previous interviews and blog posts quoting various members of the design team they were going to be exploring other styles. Maybe something a bit more old fashioned wouldn't of looked good on the box art next to last years diner so they put what would have been the new model back and brought another forward. I believe they are planned quite far in advance!

I'm not sure who the designer(s) is/are on this modular but I can imagine more than one person having input. Even though Jamie is seen as very popular in terms of a modular designer, if he didn't do this modular from scratch then being head of the creator expert series surely every set must meet his approval/expectations before going out for sale. I'm not sure if designers take the negativity personally for any set they make, but since peoples expectations are so high - especially with the modulars it could become somewhat of a 'poison chalice' and some great designers may not want to get involved with a project that is so divisive. That would be a shame.

Lastly I don't know if other people have found this but I have sometimes built a modular and found the building process a bit dull but have loved the finished appearance, other times I really enjoyed putting it together but felt a bit deflated when putting it up on the shelf. Separating the building from the appearance, I think there is only a couple of models that have been excellent on both fronts. Does anyone else find this?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

I think Jamie meant it in the sense of "a kind of building most people have at least seen". This has no link to the fact I don't really like the new modular. :classic: In fact, reflecting on that, I've not come across many buildings that look like PR, for instance.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :classic:

I haven't read the interview, only the paragraphs that were quoted here (btw: is that available online somewhere?), so I was going from that.

Still... I think most people actually will have seen an old school American Diner, and if only in a movie or TV series, or maybe even that one famous painting ("Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper - thanks, Google :laugh:). And obviously everyone has seen a gas station / garage. So I'd say the themes of the main business of those buildings are indeed recognizable. The specific design of the rest of the building may not, especially for the gas station, as - while those exist in multi-storey buildings - they usually are stand-alone structures. But then, we all wouldn't wnat a single storey modular :classic:

But as you said - the buildings themselves often aren't recognizable as anything special: DO could house any businesses, PR, GG, CC, PS and AS aswell. Thinking about it, the only buildings in the line you would propably recognize without being told what they are supposed to be are the Fire Brigade, Town Hall (as a US-style government building) and maybe the Grand Emporium.

13 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

The response isn't overwhelmingly negative.  It's mixed.  It seems to be about 60% positive, as far as I can tell.    But, people are more likely to post and complain about something if they dislike it than if they like it.

It's ridiculous to compare this to Paupadros's MOCs.  Pau is not only arguably the best Modular builder on the planet, but they also have access to every element ever made on Bricklink, while the official Lego designers have to use parts that Lego has decided to produce for 2019.  Pau also does not have to operate at a profit.

It’s completely stupid & nonsensical to compare official sets to MOC’s. For the simple reason of a MOC doesn’t have the same restraints an official set does. There’s no price point to hit with a MOC or a particular piece count to reach or be limited by. 

Edited by Vindicare

33 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

It’s completely stupid & nonsensical to compare official sets to MOC’s. For the simple reason of a MOC doesn’t have the same restraints an official set does. There’s no price point to hit with a MOC or a particular piece count to reach or be limited by. 

This. All day long.

3 hours ago, Faefrost said:

The same folks ranting and hating on this, did the same to the PR when it released. Arguing it was too small, bad value, Lego was shortchanging everyone yada yada. Now they love it as an artistic masterpiece. When TH came out the bitched it was an ugly featureless overpriced box of air only valued for the dark orange. Now they hold it up as the standard for scale and presence. Seeing a pattern here? DD they hated, until they loved it. AS they hated because itwasn’t The same as what they had pictured in their head on hearing the name. 

The takeaway is a solid portion of the fandom will always complain, and is never satisfied in the internet. They will typically buy it, and by next year it will be the best thing ever, much better than whatever the next new thing to complain about is. (Those few that don’t buy will be complaining when it gets retired, that they didn’t get it.) 

Reading the thread from when PR was released, I can’t really see that much «hate» as you describe.

As for the CG - since when did criticism become «hate»?

4 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I do vaguely remember the complaints about PR building being so small, but the color making up for it.

That may be where the extra hate comes from for this one. Hell, it wasn’t mentioned & echoed in this thread, the lack of leaked information/picture worked everyone’s imaginations into a frenzy. Then when it was revealed, it didn’t live up to their imaginations. I remember that being the case with AS particularly. 

1 hour ago, Bainter-ban said:

Reading the thread from when PR was released, I can’t really see that much «hate» as you describe.

As for the CG - since when did criticism become «hate»?

It turns from cricticism to hate when insults about the designers efforts made this thread. There’s been a few other jabs at the designer, but most have been about the building. I think the biggest problem with the CG,  as I said above, was the lack of information,  which lead to imaginations going wild.

Edited by Vindicare

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Yes that make most sense, since he did the last one..

Maybe it is a pattern forming that when anyone else than Jamie do them, they do two in a row *huh*

This is pure speculation from me, and I can remember incorrectly, but Astrid did TH and PC and if Mike did this and DD :shrug_oh_well: Who did DO and BB?

It would make some sense since they can work on both at the same time, if they find a clever build, but it do not fit with the first one they can use it on the second one..

DO was Jamie. I think BB might have been as well, at least in part. 

The more I look at it, the more my largest issue becomes the colour. In some pictures it looks more brown than orange, and I think that makes it look so much better than the very bright orange that comes across in other pictures. Maybe if the top two floors were done in reddish brown the building would look more appealing.

5 hours ago, Chilis said:

Agree, how could that pass, but why not just swap the two yellow signs? Problem solved! :thumbup:

A mistake to let it pass. 

5 hours ago, snaillad said:

I believe they are planned quite far in advance!

Yes. They're probably finalizing some finishing touches for the 2020 modular and starting to work on the 2021 modular. 

3 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

The more I look at it, the more my largest issue becomes the colour. In some pictures it looks more brown than orange, and I think that makes it look so much better than the very bright orange that comes across in other pictures. Maybe if the top two floors were done in reddish brown the building would look more appealing.

I feel the same! If I don’t like the orange in real life I’ll change it to brown. Then I could make my town hall bigger with all that orange!

11 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Exactly.  Why don’t we, for once, congratulate the designer for building an authentic industrial northern USA style building, with some nice gags, and an interestingly shaped facade.  No doubt some changes that some of us would like were written off due to piece count issues, or other factors that the designer had no say over. The more I look at it, the more I want it, despite the price, which did make me gulp a little.

The Corner Garage does do a good job of looking like any number of red-brick buildings downtown in the relatively small university towns in my state.  It just looks more like an aging building in the smaller, poorer college town in the middle of the state than like a freshly renovated building in the city a couple hours north that wants to be a tech hub, that's all.  As such, it doesn't really fit the brightly painted, bustling hub of cinemas, banks, shopping centers, and restaurants that AFOLs have been building in their basements for the past ten years.  Put it on another block or across the street and it'll work just fine.  That said, it's a very low priority on my wanted list.