I don't like the colour of the baseplate. It reminds me even more of the Grand Emporium and how empty it was. A DBG baseplate would have worked better, IMO.

The lack of tiling on the floors hurts! That'll definitely be modded.

A solid modular with clever building techniques it seems. No Wow-factor though (exterior is a bit too straightforward; interior too empty). I'll be skipping this one, just like the one last year: 200 euro is too much for just 'solid'.

Edited by KristofBD

9 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of the critics just seem to be the overwhelming majority. And that's not just the case for EURObricks, but for every social platform I've seen so far. Maybe, just maybe the set is actually at fault here, rather than "Europeans" (or grumpy AFOLs, for that matter).

I’m sorry, this is too funny though. It’s the sets fault because some people don’t like it? So, for all those people who do like it, who’s at fault there? The drama...

4 hours ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Let me chip in another question:

Suppose you could choose another colour instead of the dark orange. what could work with the base floor,
what colour would it be?

I would make the base floor dark orange and the 2 upper floors would be a lighter color that would go well with blue.

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I don't like the colour of the baseplate. It reminds me even more of the Grand Emporium and how empty it was. A DBG baseplate would have worked better, IMO.

This also is kind of empty, so they are best friends: they are both not very attractive from the exterior and interior, they’re both corner buildings,  they use tan baseplate... Just noticed but the corner buildings in the modular line seem to be the weakest modulars: GE, PC, BB and CG. Just some opinions. 

7 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I think LEGO have honestly shot themselves in the foot by keeping this model top secret for so long. The hype and anticipation was higher than ever because of that, and now it has left a lot of people feeling underwhelmed and disappointed!

I agree with that. I expected something better after waiting for months...

Edited by LegoModularFan
I accidentally wrote GG, wanted to write GE...

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Funny you say that... One of the first things I thought when I saw the Garage was how similar the overall shape is to Sweets & Co. Although the way @paupadros has pulled it off in his MOC is far superior to the Corner Garage in my opinion.

I will admit the set has grown on a bit since it was first unveiled but overall I'm still pretty disappointed. There are some things I do like - the truck is the best vehicle they've ever included with a modular set in my opinion and I love the retro Octan sign. This does not in any way justify the large price increase though.

I think LEGO have honestly shot themselves in the foot by keeping this model top secret for so long. The hype and anticipation was higher than ever because of that, and now it has left a lot of people feeling underwhelmed and disappointed!

Honoured! I agree to everything you've said about this model.

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

-I like the look of the quarter tiles pattern.

I personally find them hideous! To me, they look like a cheap way of filling up a façade that has nothing going on. Again, this was designed by someone who doesn't give a damn about architecture.

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

-The humour on the signs.

Yes, the humour is great, but the signs themselves (or the huuuuge "Diner" sign" in DD) are -again- cheap ways of enhancing a building. My rule of thumb is always "let the architecture speak", but when a building is struggling to look any decent, give it a pompous colour scheme, place some signs here and there and you're done. I see them as "temporal fixes", great for run-down buildings, like a petrol station in the middle of the desert, a house in a wild west town or something of that sort.

I was thinking about what Jamie said to a recent HispaBrick interview. He said something along the lines of: "We often go for houses that are recognisable or that the fans can relate to", when asked about a building in Art Nouveau style. The two last entries to the line don't seem to prove so... :hmpf_bad:. About the Garage, not liking it much more today than yesterday. It still looks very unpleasant to the eye.

20 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

This also is kind of empty, so they are best friends: they are both not very attractive from the exterior and interior, they’re both corner buildings,  they use tan baseplate... Just noticed but the corner buildings in the modular line seem to be the weakest modulars: GG, PC, BB and CG. Just some opinions. 

Did you mean CC instead of GG?

12 hours ago, ncx said:

The more I look at it, the more I want 2 of them like I felt with the Brick Bank. as of late, I have felt that you need 2 of the modulars anymore to make it feel like a full fledged modular building.
Eliminate the gas station and turn that canopy area into a loading/unloading area.

47421400_10218378783563892_7102776408841

This looks better :laugh:

If just 1 set: I like the idea, i like the colors with dark orange (but white windows would be nice too) i even like the vehicle and i think the minifigs are great (finaly having decent heads). The only thing that bothers me is it being a corner model...

Finally someone else who’s still feeling the same way about this modular!

7 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Again, this was designed by someone who doesn't give a damn about architecture.

Lol, I was thinking that it was possible to see an Art Nouveau building as this years modular and we see something that almost reminds me of 70’s buildings with fewer floors and luckily a lot more interesting to look at. Too bad about the architecture as this has some great techniques such as the roofline and the SNOTed windows.

Just now, scottwb2010 said:

Did you mean CC instead of GG?

I meant GE. Edited my post. :classic:

Just now, LegoModularFan said:

Finally someone else who’s still feeling the same way about this modular!

Lol, I was thinking that it was possible to see an Art Nouveau building as this years modular and we see something that almost reminds me of 70’s buildings with fewer floors and luckily a lot more interesting to look at. Too bad about the architecture as this has some great techniques such as the roofline and the SNOTed windows.

I meant GE. Edited my post. :classic:

:thumbup: I did wonder :sweet:

The set should have leaked early. The danger of not leaking the set is the extremely high anticipation it builds up, which the «countdown» showed. And now the expectations are painfully chrushed after waiting so long...

29 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Honoured! I agree to everything you've said about this model.

I personally find them hideous! To me, they look like a cheap way of filling up a façade that has nothing going on. Again, this was designed by someone who doesn't give a damn about architecture.

See, this kind of thing is just a shitty thing to say, regardless of who designed the set. If you wouldn't tell the designer that to their face, maybe second guess whether it's an okay thing to say about them without even knowing who they are.

The decorative brick pattern to me looks quite authentic to the sort of American architectural landscape you might see a gas station like this in.

After looking at this again today, the gaps in the angles are just the biggest killer. It looks so unfinished with that. Generally modulars put such a high priority on making the façade look finished and refined, but the designer seemed more focused on getting the layout with the gas station and garage to work and then worked out the second and third floors later. It really does look like a (pretty decent) fan moc, or something you would see on sale by a knockoff company on aliexpress, due to the lack of inspiration or intricate details in the façade.

The first floor exterior is great though, and what I would expect from modular buildings. Problem is, it seems like most of the time was spent on that. 

Edited by chezzymann

Shut up and take my money (again)! I might not buy 10 copies of this but 5-6 should do it. I love it! Think most of the critisism is way too harsh, everyone can`t always be pleased every time. Focus on all the good things about it, it`s a brand new modular and addition to your collection/city!! :thumbup:

58 minutes ago, chezzymann said:

After looking at this again today, the gaps in the angles are just the biggest killer. It looks so unfinished with that. 

I wonder if it would have looked better with SNOTed cheese slopes, certainly not the whole gap would be covered but probably a big part of it. And I wonder why the designer didn’t use cheese slopes as they already exist in Dark Orange...

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

This also is kind of empty, so they are best friends: they are both not very attractive from the exterior and interior, they’re both corner buildings,  they use tan baseplate... Just noticed but the corner buildings in the modular line seem to be the weakest modulars: GE, PC, BB and CG. Just some opinions. 

Interesting you say this. I would have to disagree with you though.

-I think the GE's exterior is fantastic. It nails a classic central London shopping centre (and maybe other European cities too) and due to it being one of the early modulars, I can forgive its interior.

-The PC also had a good exterior however for it's era, the interior left one wanting more I feel. Something was missing but I can't quite put my finger on it but I thought it was a great set personally. Someone earlier mentioned that it was the modular that most people had on Brickset. This might be due to many keen AFOLs expanding it. 

This leads me on to the BB. I think TLG thought consumers were bored of just having a single purpose building, especially because they released a modular only once a year, so a multipurpose building would satisfy more customers. 

Finally the CG. A really different build to all of the rest. As I've said before, I just need to figure how it would work with the pavement going round it and it should be fine. A "solid" build as someone has already described it as. Not every building in a city is a show stopper and this is one of those "solid" builds.

J

18 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I wonder if it would have looked better with SNOTed cheese slopes, certainly not the whole gap would be covered but probably a big part of it. And I wonder why the designer didn’t use cheese slopes as they already exist in Dark Orange...

Or if that doesn't work, then they could just put cylinder pieces in front to cover it up. Or have sideways tiles extend outwards. Theres lots of ways to do it. And it would actually really help with the overall look of the building. It needs some color blocking.

Edited by chezzymann

Well, after sleeping over it, I am fairly unchanged in my opinion of it.  It is going to be a pass for me.  a

With that said, I am happy for those who do like the building and hope you enjoy the building and display experience.  I think it is two things in particular that are putting me off: the architecture and the price.  I do give the designer credit for rendering a fairly accurate representation of this type of architecture.  It's not you, it's me.  I am a Baroque, Classical, Neoclassical, Victorian, Romanesque, Richardsonian Romanesque, Art Deco etc. kind of guy.  I do not like most forms of modern architecture. I find it ugly and plain.  When travelling abroad, I look forward to the architecture, especially the kind found in Europe.  I always hate coming home to cookie cutter neighborhoods, strip malls, and uninspiring garages among other things.  So, it is basically the combination of what I find to be uninspiring architecture at a high price tag that has me thankful that I am not a completionist right now when it comes to the modulars.  It is going to be a long wait until next year.   

Edited by AFOLguy1970
Posted before I was finished typing

3 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I would make the base floor dark orange and the 2 upper floors would be a lighter color that would go well with blue.

What kind of blue would that be then?
First floor medium blue, second floor Sand blue?

It's just that the dark orange colour like this is just too dominant to my taste.

26 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

What kind of blue would that be then?
First floor medium blue, second floor Sand blue?

It's just that the dark orange colour like this is just too dominant to my taste.

I agree, also the city hall is dark orange... too much dark orange.

30 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

The lifting mechanism that lifts up the tow truck is flimsy. Looking at how it works ina video review :wacko:.

Glad someone else has spotted it too... I was really annoyed when I saw how much the car was bouncing around when the lift was being demonstrated. The designer has made a beautiful garage door with a wonderfully concealed mechanism, but then they've made some form of bouncy car lift that wouldn't be used in the real world at all - if you bounced the car around, you'd cause more damage than you'd fix! 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:16 AM, Paperballpark said:

Honestly, everyone is moaning too much. The only modular that I can't remember anyone moaning about was the Assembly Square, and that was only because no-one expected it to be 50% bigger. Every other modular since Pet Shop - every one - people have found something to moan about over them.

Town Hall - Too big, too expensive.
Palace Cinema - Bland interior
Parisian Restaurant - Too small in comparison to other modulars
Detective's Office - Too blocky exterior and 'only one side three floors high?'
Brick Bank - Too short, only two floors, and 'what's with that laundrette?'
Downtown Diner - wrong style, no smiley faces

And yet 90% of you will have or want them all. They've grown on you. You've seen reviews, photos, seen them in the flesh, seen others get them, and you've realised you like them after all, despite all the moaning when they were released.

And you'll do the same for this one. :wink:

I can agree with you . everybody is getting too picky

love the set , its very American

Why is LEGO going backwards on their designs????? What a huge disappointment. So many beautiful fan made Mocs that go unnoticed. These truly heightened the modular line with their use of creativity, color combining bricks, and use of innovative ideas. The Travel agency and post office has to be one of best Mocs I’ve seen out there, including those from the Lego line. @lego needs to keep pressing the envelope of creativity rather than seeing how many ways to cut corners to make larger profits. Literally the new Garage modular is half a baseplate of design!

To start off, we see more of the baseplate than of the actual modular. All the spaces are so small inside the building you can barely enjoy the details. The color palette of the bricks makes it look like the bottom half came from a different building to the one it has on top. No special features with their mini figures (a regurgitation of older mini figures just recycled into this one) and the tow truck is something we’ve seen many times before. The architectural elements are so elementary looking that what it lacks in design it also lacks in detail. The veterinarian office is a great idea, but instead of building on that, it takes backstage to the design. And the stickers that actually hide behind other elements like the element in the center of the garage roof doesn’t seem thought out. Perhaps they were trying to be creative with the inverted corner modular, but honestly the set is disappointing. If you compare the cafe corner (one of the oldest modulars) to this one you would think that the garage modular came first assuming that modulars get better and better with time.