I'm surprised at all the people saying it doesn't have a wow factor. This is the first corner building to have 3 street facing sides. That's pretty wow isn't it? Also a lot of people saying the interiors are bare... the apartment has more apartmental features than any yet, even more than the townhouse in PS! And the vet has plenty of things inside, the only interior that I'd agree looks bare is the ground floor, with its lack of usual tiling, but it should be a fairly open space so there's enough room to work! There's more in there than both 2nd and 3rd floors of AS's blue building anyway!

Having said all that, I do understand that we obviously differ in opinions, I love this set and the only thing stopping me from definitely ordering it on Jan 1 is the pricetag...

Putting my two cents in, the Corner Garage is average. Too colorful, too ragged. The style reminds me of a blown-up Creator 3-in-1 building. If images of the Corner Garage would have leaked, I would have bet that it's fake, pics of an average MOC.

13 hours ago, ncx said:

no, especially in the US, TV's looked like that in the 1950's, here's an example of an odd shape similar to it.

a00be647ff08bb6c58983fcf2830cddf.jpg

That is a different shape to the one in the apartment here, presumably with a lot of the electronics and the speakers in the base. But also notice the depth - how far away from the wall it is. It is almost as far away as it is wide. CRTs have depth. They also tended to be quite small in the 1950s (as the one you posted above).

17 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

I'm surprised at all the people saying it doesn't have a wow factor. This is the first corner building to have 3 street facing sides.

You count 3. I count 1. It is a diagonal facade. If you count individual faces, then Assembly Square has 5 - or maybe 6 if you count the tower as separate.

Edited by MAB

Having slept over it, I actually feel slightly more positive towards it than I did yesterday.

One thing I really like about it is that the building feels pretty realtistic from an architectural standpoint. Yes, it may not be the prettiest, but it doesn't want/need to be. It depicts that certain utilitarian, almost industrial style of architecture that you saw a lot in the US in the early 20th century. With lot's of straight lines and a kind of economic approach to details (they were there, but they were rather repetitive and kept rather simple).

So even though it's not the style I would have wanted the new modular to have, that's a huge plus in my book.

30 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

Also a lot of people saying the interiors are bare... the apartment has more apartmental features than any yet, even more than the townhouse in PS!

It has a bed, a toilet, a kitchen, a sofa, a TV and a shelf. But it's not as densely detailed as, say the apartment in AS (top story of the right building), which offered a kitchen, a toilet, a convertible sofa, two shelves, a huge Lego display and some more small details in a much smaller space.

The reason I think people say that the interiors look a bit unfinished here is that there is a lot of open space left on every floor, while in all the previous modulars since the PR pretty much the entire space was used in some way or other. And I agree with that.

Edited by RogerSmith

I'm liking the CG more and more after watching some of these video reviews. Minus the price. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by BrickFit26

At a second glance I am still not convinced. Overall its a good set. The way the gas station is included into the building is well done and I can also dig the color scheme (even though I would probably not chose sand blue windows on a dark orange wall, but I welcome the addition of those windows as said previously).

But for me the worst part is really the big gap between the walls on the two 45° corners, which also shows structural parts in other colors like dark orange. I think one of the most important things for a corner building (and also the most difficult part) is, that a designer should try to cover the gaps between a straight and a slanted wall as much as possible. Looking at the palace cinema, this was very well done by covering the holes with cheese slopes etc. The brick bank was cheating a bit by having a 90° corner, but still it worked. I also invested many hours to come up with a solution for my two corner MOCs. Yes it is not very easy, but also not impossible and especially for a LEGO designer who has access to all the parts and even the possibility to recolor some existing parts the solution shown in this building just doesn't look very good.

35 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Having slept over it, I actually feel slightly more positive towards it than I did yesterday.

One thing I really like about it is that the building feels pretty realtistic from an architectural standpoint. Yes, it may not be the prettiest, but it doesn't want/need to be. It depicts that certain utilitarian, almost industrial style of architecture that you saw a lot in the US in the early 20th century. With lot's of straight lines and a kind of economic approach to details (they were there, but they were rather repetitive and kept rather simple).

So even though it's not the style I would have wanted the new modular to have, that's a huge plus in my book.

It has a bed, a toilet, a kitchen, a sofa, a TV and a shelf. But it's not as densely detailed as, say the apartment in AS (top story of the right building), which offered a kitchen, a toilet, a convertible sofa, two shelves, a huge Lego display and some more small details in a much smaller space.

The reason I think people say that the interiors look a bit unfinished here is that there is a lot of open space left on every floor, while in all the previous modulars since the PR pretty much the entire space was used in some way or other. And I agree with that.

I definitely don't mind the open space. More room for minifigures. (Though I am, admittedly, hesitant about putting minifigures where they'll only be seen through windows.)

I certainly appreciate using different architectural styles, and, to be honest, where I live utilitarian architecture of this sort is a lot more common than the fancy details that we tend to see on 'classic' Modular Buildings. I think it'll pair quite well with the Detective's Office too, which makes it a bit of a shame that the DO will retire directly before the CG releases . . though, actually, this might have been intentional. Lego knows that some vocal members of the community will kick up a fuss if to much emphasis is placed on American architecture. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why PR seems to be having an extra-long shelf life, either . . 

2 hours ago, incognito said:

2018-12-04_10h09_29.jpg

omg ,niw modular leek !!!!!! ?????wowwwwwwww !!!!!!!!!!!! ??????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning the new Corner Garage, I still don't like it. There are some nice techniques/piece usage ideas but the architectural style or the colors chosen are just not right in my opinion. I would have preferred thousand times a façade similar to @paupadros's Sweets & Co. which has a very similar shape but a much nicer architecture...

33454752842_3961369406_c.jpgSweets & Co. by Pau Padrós, on Flickr

Edited by LegoModularFan

1 hour ago, RogerSmith said:

I agree with this. I woke up today, and thought I'd take another look, and then the image that @ncx posted actually made me feel like it has something about it. Its footprint appears to be much larger in terms of width and height, and I think that may be a part of its charm. The garage extends out further than I had suspected from yesterday's videos / images. The colour appears to work REALLY WELL in the image below, which I'm insanely surprised at, as the other images seem to show it as bright orange, or at least a brighter shade of orange... and this really doesn't work with the white and green gas station / garage. It looks way nicer if the tones are more towards the browner side.

I'm still not a massive fan of the leaf facade, but when you compare it to the other modulars, it actually has more detail than most of the modulars I have on display (PC, DO and BB) with the exception of the Brick Bank. Of course, the Brick Bank facade had pieces so well hidden, such as the 1x2s on the ground floor, that you would not think of flicking them off, whereas this one is very clearly a bunch of 1x1s in a pattern... but I can take it... some buildings would be like this. 

It may be a significant nod to the designer that we were all so shocked and flabbergasted by its design that we hated it from the ideas we had in our head. Even the grey piece that everyone was complaining about works reasonably well, as it fits in with the other grey parts of the facade, and sometimes, structurally, you'd select pieces that aren't aesthetically pleasing to support the building. To me, it may even add some extra realism in there. 

I still think the combination is pretty ludicrous (vets), but if you look beyond that, then it's a really cool building, with some really strange choices that you can see pass and fall in love with. 

Someone else was saying yesterday that this building stands on its own really well, and I think the image below really shows this off. The best vehicle we've ever had from a modular, and some interesting mechanics, such as the car lift, even though it still looks a bit shoddy in how it lifts the vehicles. It's great that someone has show the pink Cadillac does fit in the gas station, and with the angle selected here, I think it looks better that you can see the names of both the gas station and vets, though it is a stupid decision to hide the vet signage. 

Ultimately, I think it's another modular to love, and I'm glad Lego are continuing the series, and hopefully giving us many more modulars to buy in the future. I'm honestly not that bothered by the price increase. I think this is a decent building with some interesting parts, and I am now looking forward to adding this to my city... 

Do I think it could have been better? Maybe, but the way that the building is in three sections does make it unique to certain extent, even if it does look like a larger Creator 3-in-1 set. It does have some strength to it, and I think I may grow to love it. A part of its charm is how ugly it appears on first view, but then you keep looking at it, and the little details and bonkers combination actually makes you like it more and more. 

I'm probably going to place this set next to the Pet Shop. I think that's the only way to get away from the fact that its above a gas station... if it's next to a Pet Shop, it feels like it's somehow separated more from the garage itself, even if it does go above and extend beyond the gas station.... really cool building! 

I take my hat off to the designer. I think they've been really brave with this one, and it'd be a shame if we only had MOCs. A part of the Modular Line's charm is that we can see how Lego tackle something in comparison to an AFOL. 

5 hours ago, ncx said:

LEGO-Creator-Expert-10264-Corner-Garage-

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I think it’s a nice addition to the range in all.  I can certainly see it between the DO and AS. I can also see one or two areas to mod slightly to improve the look, although I never do this in practice.  They’re displayed as originals.

Price bump is gonna hurt though. Over here modulars will have gone up quite quickly.  PR, BB, DO, PC all came in at chf170, DD was chf199, and this is listed at chf229. Effectively a chf50 bump over two years.  Ouch.  Looking at exchange rates we’re being stung. Roughly chf100 =100 usd.

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

I would have preferred thousand times a façade similar to @paupadros's Sweets & Co. which has a very similar shape but a much nicer architecture...

Funny you say that... One of the first things I thought when I saw the Garage was how similar the overall shape is to Sweets & Co. Although the way @paupadros has pulled it off in his MOC is far superior to the Cprner Garage in my opinion.

I will admit the set has grown on a bit since it was first unveiled but overall I'm still pretty disappointed. There are some things I do like - the truck is the best vehicle they've ever included with a modular set in my opinion and I love the retro Octan sign. This does not in any way justify the large price increase though.

I think LEGO have honestly shot themselves in the foot by keeping this model top secret for so long. The hype and anticipation was higher than ever because of that, and now it has left a lot of people feeling underwhelmed and disappointed!

I said almost only negative things about this modular and I feel like I’m a bit of a party pooper so here’s what I like about it:

-Looking again more carefully at the ground floor, I actually started to like the white, dark green and dark red combo it looks very nice.

-Dark orange and sand blue on the first and second floors look great.

-I like the look of the quarter tiles pattern.

-The tow truck is just brilliant, I agree with everyone who says it’s the best vehicle to date in the modular line.

-The humour on the signs.

-Some furnitures, especially the TV and the couches.

-The set as a parts pack.

-Some of the non-official pictures where this modular looks ten times better.

Edited by LegoModularFan

11 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

By the way, does anybody know if the curved pieces below seen in this photo are new? 

Do you mean the DBG ones? If so, they are reasonably new (this year) although have been in 40+ sets already!

35480.png

Edited by MAB

31 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

By the way, does anybody know if the curved pieces below seen in this photo are new? 

6215.png

As a few people have said now, after sleeping on it, I too have started to warm to it. Especially looking at videos of it and better pictures. Seeing the pink car from DD fit in was a surprise to me and has made me respect the set a lot more for some reason. I love the dark green and dark red representing old school octan! I really want to see this alongside a couple of road plates now. I'm trying to figure out how the pavements will work. 

In conclusion, the CG has a lot of character. No particular WOW factor but a quirkiness and just a regular building to add to the modular series. It won't turn the most heads but in a city layout, I believe it will be a must have. Retro and a useful building for minifigs.

J

3 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

I think it looks better that you can see the names of both the gas station and vets, though it is a stupid decision to hide the vet signage. 

It looks like the 2nd and 3rd floor are inter-changeable so putting the vet on the 3rd floor will make the sign more visible.

I do like the wide wall of windows for the upper floors, which reminds me of the fictional spacious city apartments that are somehow affordable to underpaid or jobless characters in sitcoms.
gallery-1466781614-gettyimages-138422680

The garage is too bare inside. It just screams for clutter. Below are the garage elements from the Simpson's House. I think the tool rack can go under the stairs and the work bench can be placed on the wall between the rear door and the car lift and would help hide the play feature component.
lego-simpsons-archives-legogenre-16.jpeg

On 12/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, MAB said:

Do you mean the DBG ones? If so, they are reasonably new (this year) although have been in 40+ sets already!

I was speaking about the ones @Rick posted, they weren’t new at all... :laugh:

Edited by LegoModularFan

It's not bad, but let's be honest - ask yourself - is it better than PR? Obviously not! Then why is it almost 25% more expensive with the same amount of pieces? No Lego, thanks. 

Edited by adwind

5 minutes ago, adwind said:

It's not bad, but let's be honest - ask yourself - is it better than PR? Obviously not! Then why is it almost 25% more expensive with the same amount of pieces? No Lego, thanks. 

Well, it’d almost certainly be at least $170 even without any more parts than Parisian Restaurant simply due to currency inflation. But I agree the additional $30 price hike is surprising, considering that past buildings usually only got a small, permanent price hike due to inflation or a large, temporary price hike due to being deluxe-sized anniversary sets. This doesn’t appear to be either. Nor is it an across the board price hike on 2019 sets like we might see if the reason for the price hike were costs or business decisions not specific to this set, because the prices reported for the new Ninjago sets seem totally reasonable, sometimes even more so than we’ve come to expect with past waves.

Has anybody seen the set’s net weight listed anywhere so we can compare that with past buildings as well? I’m wondering if maybe this set might have bigger parts on average than past buildings due to lacking some stuff that would have included large volumes of small parts like interior floor tiles, and so having proportionally more bigger parts like wall bricks, staircases, and floor plates in its inventory compared to sets like the Brick Bank and Downtown Diner. But even then, I doubt that alone would wholly account for such a sharp increase in price…

18 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Yeah. Parisian Restaurant was a work of art. This feels like just a good toy. 

22 minutes ago, adwind said:

The tall part of the Parisian Restaurant is only 12 studs deep; it's easy to kit out a building heavily with a conservative part count if it's much tinier than it looks from the front.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:15 AM, adwind said:

PR is 159$ right? Why would this cost 200? 

The set itself - is just fine, nothing too touchy to me, but still good

It was released four years ago now. Prices go up; it sucks, but it's something you have to accept if you want to keep buying LEGO products.

12 hours ago, darkhorse00 said:

Not much of those “wow” factors which a creator EXPERT modular line should have as compare to older sets.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:26 AM, cimddwc said:

First impression: Well, it's nice, they did a good job integrating the gas pump, but somehow that modular "wow" factor is lacking for me... yet? We'll see...

The only modular buildings that have given me the "wow" factor are the Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office. At the very start of this line, Cafe Corner and Market Street were practically derelict on the inside, and Green Grocer was hardly any better. In 2007 and 2008, those sets had a "wow" factor, but only because the very concept was novel, not because the sets were beautiful inside and out.

It's easy to be cynical, but I think people – even those in the community who make high-quality modular buildings – have come to expect MOC-level products with going on 3000 pieces at a $150 price point. People are constantly underwhelmed by the modular buildings because TLG's efforts will never be able to stack up to the combination of aftermarket prices and distorted nostalgia.

For me, as it seems to be for several other people in this thread, the Corner Garage is cute and possibly a starting point or inspiration for one's own creations. That's all it ever will be, and that is enough.

Edited by jamesn

Just now, Aanchir said:

Has anybody seen the set’s net weight listed anywhere so we can compare that with past buildings as well? I’m wondering if maybe this set might have bigger parts on average than past buildings due to lacking some stuff that would have included large volumes of small parts like interior floor tiles, and so having proportionally more bigger parts like wall bricks, staircases, and floor plates in its inventory compared to sets like the Brick Bank and Downtown Diner. But even then, I doubt that alone would wholly account for such a sharp increase in price…

Just look at the facade... there's so many tiny pieces there, that I would be surprised if the weight was significantly larger to what we're used to. Especially with the smaller footprint of the building and sparse interiors, I don't see where they could put the bigger bricks that would increase weight.

1 hour ago, Comon27 said:

As a few people have said now, after sleeping on it, I too have started to warm to it. Especially looking at videos of it and better pictures. Seeing the pink car from DD fit in was a surprise to me and has made me respect the set a lot more for some reason. I love the dark green and dark red representing old school octan! I really want to see this alongside a couple of road plates now. I'm trying to figure out how the pavements will work. 

In conclusion, the CG has a lot of character. No particular WOW factor but a quirkiness and just a regular building to add to the modular series. It won't turn the most heads but in a city layout, I believe it will be a must have. Retro and a useful building for minifigs.

J

I feel the same, after seeing the photo's on bricksets flickr. I feel kinda, eh.. what ever. It is my least favorite building, I may still get it. I am more upset with the price than the style of the set. I will probably make a few changes to make it more modern.

And there is nothing we can do about the price. At least it is not the millennium falcon. I still can not believe that one...