I actually really like it! I am just starting to get into modulars (exception of the fire brigade that I got a long time ago) and this looks very cool! I am also crazy about rare colors, and those dark orange bricks and the sand blue windows will be awesome!

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

For those who are thinking that AFOLs find something to criticize in every modular:

Just looked at the first two pages, there are 0 criticism about the Parisian Restaurant!

That may be so, but that doesn't somehow mean that AFOL perspectives on the Modular Buildings neatly align with their overall popularity. Many AFOLs were pretty unimpressed about the Palace Cinema…

…even though according to Brickset, it's the second most widely owned of the Modular Buildings by Brickset users (and even then, I imagine Brickset users skew more towards members of the organized AFOL community than the wider community of adult LEGO fans who aren't affiliated with any LUGs or fansites).

The Fire Brigade also got a fair amount of criticism for a lot of the same things as this set (not detailed enough, not revolutionary enough, not enough interior, too American-looking, won't fit in with the previous buildings, too small/oddly proportioned, etc)…

…and it went on to far outsell the first three Modular Buildings!

As Jamie Berard stated in his interview from the latest issue of HispaBrick Magazine, first impressions on AFOL fansites can often can be a misleading indication of how well a Modular Building will be received in the long run:

"…When the Fire Brigade came out it was as if I had just slapped someone’s mother. People were offended. They felt it was so American and the flag was hideous, and “it’s only two floors, everybody knows the modular are supposed to have three floors”, etc. There were so many people being critical, but in the end, I learned that it is the modular which brought the most people into the modular line. And it did very well. Even compared to today it did very well. And yet if you just read the fan forums at the time, many people were offended. I really just thought I had ruined the whole line. But I was naïve to the idea of thinking how much people were talking about it. And then I learned that after a short period of time they got used to the changes, and they started to say it is the changes we actually like, it’s different."

"It is strange how more often than not fans’ initial reaction is “I don’t like it if it is not what I was thinking” and then as soon as they start to look at it again, they go “but I do kind of like that” and then they dig into it and change their mind. My hope is that if I can be patient enough and listen to people genuinely I can filter out what is the real issue and what is “this is uncomfortable to me right now” but they will adjust. That’s a fine art. We don’t always get it right, but I think we are getting better at filtering."

…And to be honest, this is to be expected when fans spend so many months speculating on and dreaming up what would make an ideal future modular, even though the bigger objective for the designers is always to find something that surprises people and defies expectations. If fans can anticipate how a model will look based on how previous sets and MOCs have looked, that means the designers have not succeeding at creating something fans haven't seen before or couldn't dream up on their own.

Basing our expectations on what's come before is a great way to keep speculation from veering into outrageous and impractical ideas, but basing the designs themselves on what's come before is a great way to make a new set feel like "more of the same" both to people who already bought and enjoyed the previous buildings, and people who weren't excited for them to begin with and are still waiting on something that will have some "hook" for them that the other sets lacked.

Can't wait for the designer video!

Its worth keeping in mind that while the modular buildings are a series, they also need to function as stand alone sets, and I think DD and CG both function better than usual as stand-alone sets. They're probably going to be gateway sets, like PC was, its got more owners than previous modulars, probably because it was purchased by lots of people who were not previously followers of the modular line. I can see the same thing happening with these two, especially CG as it has the cross over with the City theme, which was shown to be very successful for the FB. This set is clearly designed to appeal to a wide audience, it appeals to car fans, animal fans, city fans and modular fans alike. However, I doubt it will sell as well as the others, because it is expensive, there's no denying that it has a hefty cost. Whether or not it is worth its pricetag, I think its too expensive for casual buyers to be drawn in. But, time will tell.

Yeah, I'm hoping the designer video will provide some insight regarding some of the choices they made. It seems a bit much to serve up detailed, thoughtfully designed sets like PR, DD, DO, and BB, then scale back with this set. It just feels...empty. And that boggles me because it has hundreds more pieces than most of the others! And I said it before, but it really does look like a Lepin knock-off or a Creator set on steroids. There are good parts and bad, but overall it's just...meh? I don't have $250 (Korean price) for 2,500+ pieces of...meh.

Though in all fairness, I didn't think much of the BB till I saw it on sale at Costco and grabbed it up on a whim. Building it at home and seeing it on my desk just now, I really do admire the design and period style of it. Reminds me of early 20th century buildings in the downtown part of my hometown (Charleston, WV). I even like the laundromat!

I think this is one of the best looking modulars yet, and it continues the '50's theme of the Downtown Diner. Am I the only one who was unable to ignore the upside down fish? Maybe it was dead... that's not a very good animal clinic.

I think the set is okay. Not bad, but not really good either. Not much of those “wow” factors which a creator EXPERT modular line should have as compare to older sets. “Wow” factors for me from the set: Blue bay windows and triangular layout which I believe the designer has put great thoughts into it. Other wow factor missing from the set includes creative and unexpected building technique for roof, interior  is pretty plain. Similar to a normal TH set. 1st storey exterior looks good. The tow truck looks good, but I would prefer to keep to 2 seaters front row style type

Edited by darkhorse00

6 hours ago, arnoldtblumberg said:

All the complaining reminds me why it's usually unpleasant trying to engage with fellow fans. Sigh.

Well, I think it looks great, and I'm going to enjoy adding it to my City streets.

I ran into this issue at Brick Fair Viriginia when I first met a MOCer in person, they looked at me like I was trash when I asked them all these questions on how they did their builds, as in what inspired them and that it inspired me. Long Story short, I came away from the experience upset and angry, like they didn't have any interest or time to talk with someone that wasn't in a LUG. I even showed him some pics of my MOC from my phone, he didn't seem impressed, even though I have received high praise for it being my first steam locomotive moc.

then a short year later, when I post my new MOC on the groups page for some thoughts and ideas on how to improve it, they literally destroy it criticizing the very design overall, making me not to want to even show it and they didn't even apologize when other members noticed how they were being too condescending.  So maybe that is where I get my disdain for AFOLs.  They are stuck up %$&holes

1 hour ago, Magical Duck said:

I think this is one of the best looking modulars yet, and it continues the '50's theme of the Downtown Diner. Am I the only one who was unable to ignore the upside down fish? Maybe it was dead... that's not a very good animal clinic.

all the fumes from the garage killed it lol

Edited by ncx

I've watched the pictures a couple of times and The garage is growing on me. The angled wall makes it kind of unique. Still a bit dissapointed over the flat facade, but it might be my first modular. 

9 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

I'm sorry....i won't put energy in photoshopping it into an XL version....damned it even got me into a sad mood now..... can't say why...but i just doesn't catch me....it is to Creator-childish or so....?

oh come on, ;)  I have some ideas for how to do an XL, just looking at the garage I can see it in my head without doing a photoshop.  Maybe i'll try to do it in LDD first to come up with a builders plan.

It has the potential to be a completely different building if the layout is changed somewhat. Take this set as a challenge, which I personally enjoy when I get 2 sets ever since BrickBank. and I absolutely loved how it turned out, probably my favorite modular I have done because of it.

Edited by ncx

The only modular building I purchased was the Town Hall, back in 2011-2012. Back then I was still in school so $200 USD was the biggest I'd ever paid for anything in the history of ever. Then I haven't bought any modulars since. I was really really REALLY tempted by Parisian Restaurant and Brick Bank. This year though I figured that if the new modular was better than those two I would buy it. 

The Garage is okay, I like the overall design, but it's not something I could afford to spend so much money on. Although it would be interesting to see if someone mods the ground floor gas pump into a cute little corner store with food and everything! 

tl;dr: I'll pass on this one this year, and watch a speed build video of it instead when it comes out ;) 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

does anyone know if this is a Lego designer? this was in the batch of Official Press images

LEGO-Creator-Expert-10264-Corner-Garage-

I think it looks great!  My favourite parts are the garage section (I really like the dark green version of the Octan colour scheme), the overall shape of the building and the trim on the roofline! 

And if I were still into building modulars (rather than just admiring those built by other people), I'd be excited about this as a parts pack too, especially the windows and all that dark orange!

Not sure if anyone said this already, but it looks like it can convert easily into a hospital, especially when combined with elements from 60204. The ground floor can be the emergency area, the middle can be the doctor's office, and the top can be the recovery room. Just saying.

I like that they did a Garage and a Cornerbuilding

- But i expected a bit more from the inside ( the front of the building looks Great )

Thanks Rick for the Review!

Greetings!

19 minutes ago, dragonk1ng said:

Not sure if anyone said this already, but it looks like it can convert easily into a hospital, especially when combined with elements from 60204. The ground floor can be the emergency area, the middle can be the doctor's office, and the top can be the recovery room. Just saying.

This is what I am planning to do with it.  Gonna have to see the instructions before I change the design more than I have in this render I just finished.

The more I look at it, the more I want 2 of them like I felt with the Brick Bank. as of late, I have felt that you need 2 of the modulars anymore to make it feel like a full fledged modular building.
Eliminate the gas station and turn that canopy area into a loading/unloading area.

47421400_10218378783563892_7102776408841

Edited by ncx

I find it fascinating that none of the early reviews (I've seen) show a car "inside" the gas station. 

It was the first question I had, when i saw this set, maybe I'm the only one. 

Edited by incognito

7 minutes ago, incognito said:

I find it fascinating that none of the early reviews (I've seen) show a car "inside" the gas station. 

It was the first question I had, when i saw this set, maybe I'm the only one. 

Hi incognito,
Well, Zusammengebaut showed the truck that comes with the set, inside the building and on the car lift in his review video, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4bGV2Bpdus

Not sure if that's what you  meant.

2 hours ago, ncx said:

does anyone know if this is a Lego designer? this was in the batch of Official Press images

I don’t know, he more looks like a random guy who bought the set, built it and displaying it in his house. But if he’s really a Lego designer, I’ll be surprised that it’s another designer and not Mike.

Edited by LegoModularFan

36 minutes ago, Withacee said:

Hi incognito,
Well, Zusammengebaut showed the truck that comes with the set, inside the building and on the car lift in his review video, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4bGV2Bpdus

Not sure if that's what you  meant.

This was one of the reviews, the other one was Brickset. 

But that's not what I meant. I meant a car next to the gas pump, not inside the garage.

BrickVault managed to do it in their live build video. It actually looks pretty good:

2018-12-04_10h09_29.jpg

Edited by incognito

Just now, incognito said:

But that's not what I meant. I meant a car next to the gas pump, not inside the garage.

Ah, I see, that would be interesting to see, indeed.
I shall have a look at that BrickVault video, which I did not know about, until now, if I can find it.

10 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

Most of the critics seem to be European. *snip*

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of the critics just seem to be the overwhelming majority. And that's not just the case for EURObricks, but for every social platform I've seen so far. Maybe, just maybe the set is actually at fault here, rather than "Europeans" (or grumpy AFOLs, for that matter).

Edited by Brick Dangerous

19 minutes ago, incognito said:

BrickVault managed to do it in their live build video. It actually looks pretty good

Cheers for editing your post to add the link!