Most of the critics seem to be European.   As an American, I really like it because I can point to individual buildings in the city I live in that look like it.    The dark orange/sand blue color scheme is beautiful and the printed tiles are good.   It has vertical presence, something that I felt BB completely lacked.  The tow truck is a fantastic vehicle.   The garage is somewhat austere but I have seen garages in America that were that clean.   

What's not so hot- the stairs need a wall separating them from the garage (this can be added).   The doors are not sand blue (and we can't make them that way).   The bathroom has no bathtub/shower.     The bathroom door has windows (this can be fixed easily).

This is fantastic and the best modular since 2010, IMO.   Assembly Square is the only other set in recent history that I like nearly as much, but I would give the edge to this one slightly since it's less insular.

33 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

Just looking at Parisian Restaurant again makes this set feel really bland and flat. 

Yeah. Parisian Restaurant was a work of art. This feels like just a good toy. 

I like this one a lot, best one for me since PR.  I agree it kind of looks uninspiring in some ways but to me that's the whole point!  We're building a town after all, and it's good to have some similarities, and we definitely need a garage and a petrol station - a necessity for a Lego town.  But there also enough variations in each modular for them to have their own character, and they've done a good job here with a different type of corner - the gaps don't bother me at all.

So each modular with their own character, and they look even better when side by side...

I have my PS next to TH so already had the sand blue/dark orange combo.

Also I like the blue truck and yellow signs - good to have original colours make an appearance - I have fond memories of the 6363 garage - blue with a yellow car..

Plenty room in the garage and around the petrol pump!

And that's the last I will look at it until I buy it - really enjoyed the DD build more this year since I didn't over-analyse the pictures like in previous years.

25 minutes ago, broomhandle said:

It is too much of a industrial inner city type of building. Not a downtown building.

I think the selected architectural style is good. My problem is the realization, which is IMO very very weak.

Brit here, I quite like it so it's not just Americans. A few things I would change of course: it needs to be bigger (looks like another corner Modular I'll be buying two sets of to expand), those joins need concealing (any bright ideas, anyone?), the bog needs a seat, and I'll need to tile the ground floor. Overall, I love it though! Having a full apartment is great as it saves me having to mod one and the garage is much better incorporated than I was expecting. Might even buy a third set purely for the parts as I've no TH or GE (yet!) 

Great idea. Looks kinda strange as a corner building, I like it way more solo. Couple towns over there is a gas station and shop inside a building like this which makes it even cooler. Not sure if I like the pattern the 1x1 curved tiles make in that one row though.

Reiterating the point of the baseplate, why didn’t they use a dark gray one? Maybe the floor is drenched in oil and they needed to use a lot of sand to cover it? :laugh:

All the complaining reminds me why it's usually unpleasant trying to engage with fellow fans. Sigh.

Well, I think it looks great, and I'm going to enjoy adding it to my City streets.

I like it. But, I'm not sure I love it.

I'm impressed that the quite old rumour about a "garage and veterinarian" was correct. I didn't think it would be because there was no obvious "story" potential between a garage and a vet (unless a car hit an animal and the car needed repairs and the animal needed surgery).

The price seems a little high for quite a small building given how much of the baseplate is taken up with the drive-through for the gas station. I'm not sure if the price per piece count is higher than other Modulars, but it just doesn't *look* to provide the same value for money as others.

I look forward to seeing a photo with an actual vehicle in the drive-through. It seems like it will be a bit of a tight squeeze to get a car in there.

I find it amusing that we have a garage to repair four vehicles (fire engine, limousine, Cadillac and tow truck) and a veterinarian to care for a handful of animals (most of which are still in the Pet Shop), but we still don't have a medical centre or small hospital for all of the minifigures!

I'm not sure about the seemingly completely open stairs. Anyone can just wander all the way up to the roof - through someone's personal apartment! I guess it reduces the piece count and keeps costs lower to remove all of those "walls", but it strange.

The colour scheme of the second and third floors also seems repetitive - it reminds me of the Detective's Office, Corner Deli and Town Hall. I was probably counting on it being at least partially the new colour - "sand red" (or whatever it is called).

Additional thoughts:

I think I'll move the balcony up to the top floor - it makes more sense to be part of the apartment as opposed to the veterinarian.

Then, I'll move the printed veterinarian sign to where the balcony currently is. It will be partially obscured, but I don't like how the two signs currently block each other (i.e. the Jo's Garage sign blocks the view of the Dr Jones' sign).

And then I'll just mirror the build of the middle window on the top floor when completing the second floor. I *think* that will resolve some of *my* issues with how the Modular looks.

Edited by Agent 86

Just now, arnoldtblumberg said:

All the complaining reminds me why it's usually unpleasant trying to engage with fellow fans. Sigh.

It would be great if everyone liked the same things and everything was a nice big echo chamber of positivity. Alas, that's not the case. I feel like the complaints were for the most part well reasoned and put forth without any drama or toxicity. A constructive discussion and summary of pros and cons, if you will. Why would you find that unpleasant to engage in?

I think it looks fantastic, but I know if I bought it it would get recycled for parts almost immediately because there is a lot of nice stuff there.

Unfortunately I also know that because of that price, I'm never going to get it. Not that it isn't worth it, but that's more than I'll let myself spend on a single set. So thanks TLG, but no thanks.

I am American. I understand it has that American feel. But as a lego modular, it just dose not do it for me. The Diner was ok. I am 50/50 on it. I just feel this goes with the diner, but not in a good way.

I am trying to like it... I think if I were to get it, would be to remove the gas station part. And have it as a garage, that at one time had gas... 

Edited by broomhandle

6 minutes ago, broomhandle said:

I think if I were to get it, would be to remove the gas station part. And have it as a garage, that at one time had gas... 

I agree - I'm thinking more of an open-air cafe though, possibly with recolouring the upstairs as well. I can see some techniques in this that are new to me, so it's on my list for that reason... but it's definitely going to be heavily modified.

Because old garages can become anything with a bit of imagination.

1 hour ago, RuffDraft said:

I've spent today reading people's comments and exploring the modular itself, but I can't bring myself to fall in love with it. ...

I completely agree with you. I’ll probably end up getting this too, not to build it but for parts, the price to part ratio is still quite good even if it’s not as good as the other modulars...

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

This is a very interesting City set.  Now I am waiting with bated breath for news of the modular release.   

Unfortunately very true.

1 hour ago, TheLegomane said:

Could it be that they were trying to build an hotel? Look at that canopy over the gas pump. If it was made of cloth it would be just like a luxurious hotel entrance. What do you think?

I can totally see this modular being an hotel with some small modifications, I even feel that it would look and work a lot better...

It's a nice one stop shop.  Have your car and your pet fixed at the same time.  :classic:    Waiting for the detailed EB review...

brickset has some photos on the flickr page... it actually looks a little different from the lego photos...

I am also thinking of, what could it be.... with out any heavy mods...

i

Edited by broomhandle

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a question for y'all...

How do you feel about this latest modular up alongside last year's Downtown Diner? :shrug_confused:

Built the Diner this Saturday with my son after I got it on black Friday. I was in the middle of the road with the DD before but still excited about it being something new and different. After building it, I love it - the best set ever! I'm in complete awe of some of the techniques used in the DD and also my son thought it was fantastic, which adds value to me. The curves and the smoothness is great, so many small details. For me building the set is a big part of how much I like it and this is were the old sets fail. For instance the GG is one of the most boring sets I've ever put together!

I can already see this set has al lot of twists and turns in how it's constructed and I'm pretty sure it will be a fun build. IMO you need to build and hold it in your hands to really understand the building and what the designer is trying to show you. The Diner was something completely fresh and new to the line when it was revealed a year ago and I get a similar vibe to this even though it's very different. I like how Lego is always trying to do something new and not getting stuck in their old ways, and it seems to me the CG is equally promising as the DD, if not even more?

Edited by chorus

love it !!!!!   amazing set . love the garage

very American ! seems this line would be more American then ever .

Edited by danimarroquin

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a question for y'all...

How do you feel about this latest modular up alongside last year's Downtown Diner? :shrug_confused:

When the Downtown Diner was announced I hated it for the garish colors and contrast with the previous Modulars. However, I've come to really respect it as a build - it's got a ton of clever techniques that blend with each other really well, it's a bold design, and the upper floors are furnished very well.  I haven't brought myself to buy it yet, though, and the Detective's Office is the only Modular that I really like for the whole package: balance, color blocking, detail, building techniques, and well-furnished interior with a sensible layout.  I'll probably come around to liking the Corner Garage well enough, but the only thing that stands out right now is the tow truck.  I might have to Bricklink that, but I can pass on the rest.  Like other people have said, the outside is ugly, the inside is poorly furnished and badly arranged, and even the best-looking feature (the corner drive-through for the gas pump) would be hard to use with many vehicles.  I bought the 2016 City gas station a few months ago, and it satisfies all my Lego gas station/garage needs.

Well Lego continues to surprise me again. I was not expecting a gas station to be the main part of a modular but I like the way it turned out. I think the gas station has a very nice 1950's feel to it which was the same with DD. I guess the Lego modulars are now in the 50's. Maybe 60's will be in a couple years and we will start getting hippie rooftop concerts! I like the other rooms too and think they are nice overall. The roof is bland but they almost always are. Something I just noticed is how the shaping of the building is different. I thinks that's a very clever thing to to to try and stand out from other modulars and especially the street corner ones so I am very pleased to see something new succeed. I'm not sure how I think it would compare to other modulars to me. I like it better then PS by not as much as DD. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

2 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Just looking at Parisian Restaurant again makes this set feel really bland and flat. 

I think that's what it is for a lot of us. The grand amount of detail the PR had is superior. The detail in the facade of the Corner Garage is good, but it doesn't come close to the serial of the PR. The colors don't bother me as much, but I wonder hoe it would look of the entire first floor was the Brick orange and the 2 upper floors were different colors. Can someone make it happen please? :classic:

The gaps don't bother me at all. They make it look like its 3 seperate buildings that are side by side at an angle. I like it. The CG is growing on me by the different pictures and angles I see.

36 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

It's a nice one stop shop.  Have your car and your pet fixed at the same time.  :classic:    Waiting for the detailed EB review...

Especially convenient when a critter runs in front of your car, eh?*huh*

My overwhelming first impression is that it's... fine. I like it a lot more than the Downtown Diner (which is the only Modular I honestly completely disliked personally), but I still don't really feel much toward it. It's really weird to have a vet situated above a car garage, the poor sick pets will be inhaling a lot of fumes. :oh: I like the look of the building generally, but I think I'm put off a little by how asymmetrical and haphazard it is --- even on the box image, you can't see the printed vet window properly because the garage bit is blocking it --- and the facade just isn't on the level of detail we've had in the past. I agree with the assessment that it looks like a jumbo-sized Creator 3-In-1; it has that simpler feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not jumping out at me personally.

I do really like the dark orange (although it looks brighter in Brickset's review and that looks a bit garish in my opinion) and there are a lot of good parts in this. But it's honestly bizarre that the building itself takes up so little of the space available, which at that price point honestly isn't acceptable to me.

Another mixed bag unfortunately. :sad:

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego