Just now, LegoSjaak said:

After seeing the first pictures....i was thinking: Now we have to wait for a year to see a new modular again.... The Garage did not catch me...it still doesn't...i actually feel a bit sad about that....confessing that it looks more like any normal 45 euro Creator shop set....Combined with the price going up, i'm not sure if i can fix it in my head to buy at least one set....but i have to, as i would else lose the happy building feeling.... Spending so much money on something i'm not really feeling happy about... ..well...what should i say....i'm almost scared losing my endless Lego-bond....

We are all eagerly awaiting you photoshop XL versions and possible recolorings! You might feel differently about it once you’ve adjusted it to your liking!

Just now, Huaojozu said:

It's of course hard to tell without getting to build it, but does anyone else feel like the interior mini-builds are of very varying quality? What I mean is that the builds in the vet's office are absolutely stunning while the builds in the apartment are quite lackluster by Lego's own standards (compared to similar subject matters in other modulars), especially the toilet and the kitchen (and personally I'm really not a fan of the TV, though some people seem to love it).

Completely agree with you re interiors maybe this is what bothers me about it. Also the garage interior seems plain. I just saw brickset have their review up might have to have a look at that.

After seeing the first pictures....i was thinking: Now we have to wait for a year to see a new modular again.... The Garage did not catch me...it still doesn't...i actually feel a bit sad about that....confessing that it looks more like any normal 45 euro Creator shop set....Combined with the price going up, i'm not sure if i can fix it in my head to buy at least one set....but i have to, as i would else lose the happy building feeling.... Spending so much money on something i'm not really feeling happy about... ..well...what should i say....i'm almost scared losing my endless Lego-bond....

oh no, I was hoping to see what your XL might look like :(

I had an idea to make mine into a hospital seeing how this design would work. The gas station would be the unloading/loading area and it would of course be twice that size since it would be 2 modulars

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

We are all eagerly awaiting you photoshop XL versions and possible recolorings! You might feel differently about it once you’ve adjusted it to your liking!

I'm sorry....i won't put energy in photoshopping it into an XL version....damned it even got me into a sad mood now..... can't say why...but i just doesn't catch me....it is to Creator-childish or so....?

I'm sorry....i won't put energy in photoshopping it into an XL version....damned it even got me into a sad mood now..... can't say why...but i just doesn't catch me....it is to Creator-childish or so....?

I really hope it grows on you!

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

I really hope it grows on you!

Thanks....i really hope so to....always looking forward to spending the first weeks of january with making a nice XL....but... The umbrella on the roof broke my heart....it is so misplaced and looks way to cheap.....

5 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

Thanks....i really hope so to....always looking forward to spending the first weeks of january with making a nice XL....but... The umbrella on the roof broke my heart....it is so misplaced and looks way to cheap.....

Leave it off ;) that’s what I’m going to do! And I’m already building my XL version in my head!

1 minute ago, Boettner Builds said:

Leave it off ;) that’s what I’m going to do! And I’m already building my XL version in my head!

Thank you...you're right...i should not make a point of such an umbrella..leave it off indeed....i noticed a positive thing...it is not the smallest building and looks in fact a bit tall....

1 minute ago, LegoSjaak said:

Thank you...you're right...i should not make a point of such an umbrella..leave it off indeed....i noticed a positive thing...it is not the smallest building and looks in fact a bit tall....

It’s not perfect (no modular is) but that’s the beauty of LEGO, we can MOD to our hearts content!!

36 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

Actually, the rooftop area is one of my favourite things about this Modular. I really hate how plain the roofs of most Modulars are - after all, we're not minifigures, we look down on these buildings. And I get so sick of the plain roofs that I decorate them with billboards and A/C units and the occasional helipad. So I really like that this Modular actually has something on top, and I hope this becomes an ongoing trend. 

To each their own, I suppose. 

It is good to see that my earlier info was correct :) I like it, as I am a fan of anything to do with vehicles (see all of my Speed Champion MOC's) . I agree that more floor tiles would have looked good, but that would have added to the piece count by a lot.

For those who are thinking that AFOLs find something to criticize in every modular:

Just looked at the first two pages, there are 0 criticism about the Parisian Restaurant! The rest Osborne probably similar... I’m personally feeling that Lego is in the wrong direction: worse modulars, higher prices. This reminds me of real buildings I don’t like, someone else mentioned it was the same for them too... Really hoping for this to grow on me...

Disappointing...... It feels like it does not fit in with the other buildings. The dark orange does not look very good, and it is the same color as city hall. This is my least favorite of the series. I feel even the dinner does not fit in well with the other buildings. I would have rather seen this as a split building, like the pet shop. Minus the gas station. This is starting to turn into the collectible mini figures.. they run out of ideas and just go for something.... It looks like the price goes up each year too. This alone is something I am not looking forward too. 

Edited by broomhandle

Just now, LegoModularFan said:

For those who are thinking that AFOLs find something to criticize in every modular

Just looked at the first two pages, there are 0 criticism about the Parisian Restaurant! The rest Osborne probably similar... I’m personally feeling that Lego is in the wrong direction: worse modulars, higher prices. This reminds me of real buildings I don’t like, someone else mentioned it was the same for them too... Really hoping for this to grow on me...

I've spent today reading people's comments and exploring the modular itself, but I can't bring myself to fall in love with it. I think this will be one of the modulars that will have a shorter run. Maybe just one in total, as I think most people are buying it because they have to, rather than loving it and wanting it... it just doesn't look that great at all. It's really underwhelming, and I'm surprised, as I was ready to run out and get it on January 1st. I probably will still, as my girlfriend has said that she'll get it me for Christmas, but I'm just surprised by how short of expectations it really is... even if the way the lift works by pushing something outside of the building seems rather strange and playful, rather than realistic. Don't get me wrong, I don't want every building to look real... it's just a strange decision, even if it works well. 

I was ready to combat the naysayers today, as I loved the announcement of the Diner last year, and that was my first year of loving modular buildings. I love all of the modulars prior to this one, including the ones that I don't own (MS, CC, GG and TH). It's weird that this one seems to have divided us all more than usual (in reference to previous years when it looks to be 50-50 from the threads I've been back to look at). 

I guess a second service station in town is no problem at all, I try to also target that era (for the entire city and trains): 44349607510_43fc1b441d_b.jpg

It is a somewhat modular version of the gas station of the Kjeld town centre set and some additions. I actually have built it and it now is part of my town although I still need to do the stickers.

I watched the new modular at the first moment, when it was available. Since then I'm thinking on it. I was really happy with the rumor, that the modular will be a garage. And I got it. Actually the base level is fine. Garage is OK, tow truck is cool with the technic function, and I also like the minifigs. I don't like the Octan colors, but switching the red to something else could just solve my problem. Lets keep the Octan for the city line.

But the upper levels are completely disappointing. The facade design is just too rough-and-ready. I think the colors does not match, there are huge gaps in the diagonal edges, where the LBG support elements are visible. The upper floors could be far much better. I bought all the modulars since PR, but I skipped DD because it does not fit to my city. In its current form the garage is simply not good enough, the upper floors should be completely rebuild from scratch, but in this case I prefer to make a moc instead. The increased price guarantees, that I gonna skip the garage too.

5 minutes ago, kodlovag said:

I think the colors does not match, there are huge gaps in the diagonal edges, where the LBG support elements are visible.

This is what really bothers me about the facade as well.

Last year Mike did such a great job of disguising the separations between each floor. But this year they've given us this with ugly joints showing in the gaps at the sides of the diagonal wall. I'm sure they could have worked out a way of avoiding that. :sceptic:

This is a very interesting City set.  Now I am waiting with bated breath for news of the modular release.   

Hoo boy.  Count me in with those who just are not feeling it.  I am still trying to place exactly what it is that is bothering me.  Is it the overpowering orange? Perhaps the unattractive architecture?  Could it be the significant price bump?  And "bump" is being generous.  Maybe it is the fact that over half of the baseplate is not even devoted to the building.  Every time the modular is released, I marvel at the new techniques.  I did not feel that this time.  Not to say there are not new parts and new builds, but as someone pointed out, I feel like I have seen this before in MOCs.  Well, the good news is that I dont have any particular reason to get to the Lego Store before it opens on January 1.  -meh-

Well done Lego. I like it. That tire mounting machine looks spot on, gotta break the tire bead.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new colors for the different windows.

6 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

Just looking at Parisian Restaurant again makes this set feel really bland and flat. 

I agree, The Brick bank was the last one. The Assembly Square is a OK build. its good, but not great. The price is just too high. The Diner is bland and is out of place. The garage is more bland and more out of place. It is too much of a industrial inner city type of building. Not a downtown building. If it was 149.99 I would think about it to add... I have all of them. At a $200 price... it is the 1st one for me to think, I am done... until 2020..

DD may look out of place but you can't argue that it doesn't features unique architecture elements that make it look distinct. The rounded edges of the ground floor and right side, contrasted with the the sharp edges of the top left side, make for some pleasing viewing. 

13 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Not to say there are not new parts and new builds, but as someone pointed out, I feel like I have seen this before in MOCs.

I've been wondering all day why it bothers me. And I think this sums it up pretty nicely for me. It just doesn't have the NEW! factor that the other modulars had. Maybe it's because the color scheme is very similar to Town Hall?

Could it be that they were trying to build an hotel? Look at that canopy over the gas pump. If it was made of cloth it would be just like a luxurious hotel entrance. What do you think?