Just now, BrickBuilder1 said:

This is also true. While we as fans have used the PPP, lego uses weight to justify prices, which should make sense to you if you really "studied economics."

I don't claim to know Lego's pricing strategy, but that doesn't seem optimal. Weight would only affect the amount of plastic required (which I assume is a negligible cost) and shipping charges (which again I can't imagine being that high). It's much more likely in my opinion that Lego simply looks at the market, the direct and indirect competition, what price points their other sets are at and the general price trends in the industry and in general, and sets a price that is predicted to bring in the most profits given the elasticity of demand. 

Fits very well in my town, in fact the tow truck is almost identical to mine ;)

2 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

I don't claim to know Lego's pricing strategy, but that doesn't seem optimal. Weight would only affect the amount of plastic required (which I assume is a negligible cost) and shipping charges (which again I can't imagine being that high). It's much more likely in my opinion that Lego simply looks at the market, the direct and indirect competition, what price points their other sets are at and the general price trends in the industry and in general, and sets a price that is predicted to bring in the most profits given the elasticity of demand. 

It’s a little more complicated than simply weight. But weight is a far better metric than Price per piece. Essentially each piece in the set has an assigned cost. Parts that are existing I n inventory cost less than parts that require an injection mold run to make. So in this case the volume of dark orange probably added a bit to price. Also remember that currency exchange can impact it. How is the Krona doing against the dollar? 

14 minutes ago, RuffDraft said:

After reading the review over at Brickset: 

Pros: 

• The door handle going up to the vets is really well thought out - lovely touch!

Cons: 

• The orange is really not to my tastes... I find it quite vulgar. 

Flip those two around for me!

The dark orange, yes! Lots more bricks in a colour that actually looks like bricks! Although I'd prefer medium flesh.

And to me the paw print on the handle makes it look like a child's set. But at least that is easy to leave off.

Just now, MAB said:

The dark orange, yes! Lots more bricks in a colour that actually looks like bricks! Although I'd prefer medium flesh.

And to me the paw print on the handle makes it look like a child's set. But at least that is easy to leave off.

this too is a plus for me because if I ever want to BL the Town Hall, this will likely decrease the cost

Just now, Faefrost said:

It’s a little more complicated than simply weight. But weight is a far better metric than Price per piece. Essentially each piece in the set has an assigned cost. Parts that are existing I n inventory cost less than parts that require an injection mold run to make. So in this case the volume of dark orange probably added a bit to price. Also remember that currency exchange can impact it. How is the Krona doing against the dollar? 

I'm not questioning the fact that certain parts cost more to make. But I don't believe Lego says: "OK, we are using these parts, this is the cost to manufacture them, these are the overheads, let's add 20% for profit and go." I would expect it to be more like: "OK, you want to use these parts in your design. We could probably sell that design with these parts for X." How much profit that leaves then dictates the Go/No-Go decision on that particular design.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Haha! You can't please everyone! I haven't seen the dark orange in person, so maybe it'll grow on me as a set. I've never seen the Town Hall in the flesh either. As you say, it makes tonnes more sense to have bricks that look like real bricks, so in that sense, maybe it'll win me over! 

I agree about it looking more like a child's set, but if I were a kid going to a vets and my pet was injured or hurt, having a nice paw on the handle as I reached out to go into what could be a nightmare situation would make me smile and put me at ease somewhat. I think it's a nice detail. 

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

At this point I really shouldn't be surprised by how much negativity surrounds this set (since AFOLs always find something to complain about), but nevertheless it still stuns me. This is an amazing building that has a completely novel look compared to previous corner buildings and implements all sorts of awesome new techniques (especially the angled facade using the new rounded 1x2 plate), yet once more I've seen people insulting the designers' skill or saying it looks like the almost universally simpler Creator 3-in-1 sets.

Whatever... I'll enjoy it.

I wouldn’t say constructive criticism is ‘insulting’. And aren’t people allowed to have their own opinion before it turns to ‘negativity’ and ‘insults’? Or is your appraisal/positive opinion the only thing that matters?

To be honest, this is the first modular that I haven't liked and the first that I might pass on.  

I don't like the lack of detailing both on the interior (why don't we have tiled floors?) and on the bland exterior.  I have a hard time seeing a vet working above an auto shop as vets tend to like quiet to help keep the animals calm and garages are anything but quiet.  I don't like the miscolored bricks on the hinge points, not a fan of the minifigures or the colors chosen…  I'm just disappointed in it all around.  Do I hate it?  No, but at 200 bucks it's a hard pill to swallow that I don't even come close to loving it.

I'm kind of surprised because whenever a new modular is shown I am always a cheerleader for them - haven't met one that I haven't liked before this.  But this one just leaves me cold.

What I do like (because I don't want to be solely negative): The humorous signs, the usage of sand blue parts, that new grey snot piece...  That may be it.  I am really hoping that it grows on me but I am decidedly in the negative camp for the first time with this one.

Just now, sithewok said:

To be honest, this is the first modular that I haven't liked and the first that I might pass on.  

I don't like the lack of detailing both on the interior (why don't we have tiled floors?) and on the bland exterior.  I have a hard time seeing a vet working above an auto shop as vets tend to like quiet to help keep the animals calm and garages are anything but quiet.  I don't like the miscolored bricks on the hinge points, not a fan of the minifigures or the colors chosen…  I'm just disappointed in it all around.  Do I hate it?  No, but at 200 bucks it's a hard pill to swallow that I don't even come close to loving it.

I'm kind of surprised because whenever a new modular is shown I am always a cheerleader for them - haven't met one that I haven't liked before this.  But this one just leaves me cold.

What I do like (because I don't want to be solely negative): The humorous signs, the usage of sand blue parts, that new grey snot piece...  That may be it.  I am really hoping that it grows on me but I am decidedly in the negative camp for the first time with this one.

Could not agree more. I was yet to be disappointed before this arrived. Maybe it has something to do with the very high standard of the others.

In addition, I believe we are allowed to have high expectations when the price is so high. 

28 minutes ago, anothergol said:

But it's not a jumper, and it's not where it's used.

It's used for the base of the pump, and even more weirdly, only on one side. The other side has a normal, old-style turntable. Why not on both sides? And why is a turntable even needed here? I get it that it's more secure, but eventually it's still just 4 studs holding it on 2 places.
*surely* this new part was created for another set.

The new part was created for another set. Or, at least, it's been used in one. 

I saw the scans for Lego Minecraft's The Pirate Ship for next year, and concluded that the mast of the ship was being held on by two of these new pieces. There might be others in the Ship, I can't say yet but it does strike me as a part that would be very useful in Minecraft builds. 

Now; {yawns} The problem with living in Australia is that sets often get announced while you're asleep. 

But still, I think this is an excellent set. I really like the diagonal facade, the dark orange and sand blue is a lovely colour combination, and can live with the interior not being tiled over. Garages usually aren't too clean on the inside, and I'd like to think that this decision was a commentary on the designer's part about that feature. 

I also see they're following through with the Detective's Office style 'build an extra floor to make this taller' design. Can't say I disapprove. And I definitely like the callout to Indiana Jones. Now if only the profession was a little more relevant to him . . XD I wonder if this implies that we might be getting a museum as the 2020 Modular?

Eh, either way. Y'now, I think makes me very sad that the Detective's Office seems to be going to retire just as this comes out. I think the best possible way to display this would be to have the Downtown Diner on the left of the Detective's Office and the Corner Garage on the right, and these three 'American' Modulars forming a separate block to all the other, more European Modular Buildings. 

Overall, I like this, and I'll get it - but not immediately. Gotta wait for a good discount. 

1 minute ago, sithewok said:

I hated it at first, but after looking at non-official photos and YouTube videos of the actual set (not just photos) I think I like it but not as it is, but as a modifiable design just calling out to be changed into an XL

Just now, sithewok said:

Do I hate it?  No, but at 200 bucks it's a hard pill to swallow that I don't even come close to loving it.

There's no problem with that.  I feel the same about Brick Bank and Assembly Square.  They don't do much for me, so I decided that I won't spend my money on them.

To me most of its problems come from trying to fit in space for the garage and gas pump. The odd shapes, big gaps in the angles, etc. Its asymmetric so they could have a garage large enough to fit an 8 wide vehicle, and still have enough space for a drive in pump area. Being asymmetric is fine, just look at parisian restaurant or downtown diner, but it just wasnt pulled off in a appealing way. Theres no balance to the assymetry, if you know what I mean.

5 hours ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

I think they were first launched in the 30s.

Nope. Commercially, very late '40s-early '50s. Experimental models existed prior to that, but wouldn't have turned up in a corner garage apartment. :)

9 minutes ago, arnoldtblumberg said:

Nope. Commercially, very late '40s-early '50s. Experimental models existed prior to that, but wouldn't have turned up in a corner garage apartment. :)

That TV must be a fairly modern screen inside a retro-style box. If it was a CRT based screen, it would be much deeper. I remember our wooden boxed TV from the 1970s, it was probably 75% as deep as it was wide. Plus the curved front!

Haha fall asleep and wake up to 8 pages of comments already.

initial reaction upon seeing it was I like it (maybe not love it but always changes when I’m building it) it’s different ie shape of the build. Which I do like seeing in the modulars reflects the real world sort of. Despite maybe not being the totally refined in the technique. The photo someone brought up of the grey pieces at the corners do look a bit unrefined but Overall I like the look of it. The interior is a little lack lustre for me from the initial photos maybe it’s because there’s no tiling as per other modulars?! So it seems a bit unfinished? But it’s nothing a little MOCing can’t fix. I think we have also been so spoilt with the recent interiors that we expect everyone to follow suit. 

Pros

-Liking the difference in the angled design.

-like the use of a Vet clinic

-I like the colour, I missed out on town hall (which was during a period where I stopped buying sets, I now regret not picking it up before they retired it, Australian prices for the resale are double ugh ?

-I like the tow truck it looks like quite  a clever build. 

- even though they aren’t new the animals included. 

- I don’t mind the repetitiveness of the top floors most buildings have this anyway.

CONS

- like others have said it feels like a weird combination to have a vet above a garage. 

- interiors which can be fixed ( although I don’t usually like doing it to modulars) in saying that the vet space is good. Just the apartment and garage something is lacking.

- price increase but expected. 

For the designer it must be so hard coming up with something everyone will love, actually I would say it’s nearly impossible. Overall the designer has done a great job, us AFOLs just have high expectations and build up the release ? I think it will grow on most people over time who are a bit on the fence about it. 

My two cents

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

That TV must be a fairly modern screen inside a retro-style box. If it was a CRT based screen, it would be much deeper. I remember our wooden boxed TV from the 1970s, it was probably 75% as deep as it was wide. Plus the curved front!

It’s also color. All of the first sets were black and white.

It's of course hard to tell without getting to build it, but does anyone else feel like the interior mini-builds are of very varying quality? What I mean is that the builds in the vet's office are absolutely stunning while the builds in the apartment are quite lackluster by Lego's own standards (compared to similar subject matters in other modulars), especially the toilet and the kitchen (and personally I'm really not a fan of the TV, though some people seem to love it).

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

no, especially in the US, TV's looked like that in the 1950's, here's an example of an odd shape similar to it.

a00be647ff08bb6c58983fcf2830cddf.jpg

After seeing the first pictures....i was thinking: Now we have to wait for a year to see a new modular again.... The Garage did not catch me...it still doesn't...i actually feel a bit sad about that....confessing that it looks more like any normal 45 euro Creator shop set....Combined with the price going up, i'm not sure if i can fix it in my head to buy at least one set....but i have to, as i would else lose the happy building feeling.... Spending so much money on something i'm not really feeling happy about... ..well...what should i say....i'm almost scared losing my endless Lego-bond....