I quite like it.  I have to admit, I was hoping that there would be enough complaints about the DD for them to return to classic faces.  I think it will grow on me, though.

A couple of nice recolors/new parts. Anyone understands the white thing with the open stud, next to the new bracket? Perhaps it's the 1x1 bracket shown from front?
Or if it's at scale, a 2x2 tile with a large stud? Weird. I'm not seeing it anywhere in the model.

10264-lego-creator-expert-modular-corner

Edited by anothergol

its growing on me but they should have dittched the gas station to make more space for everything else

if they dittched the gas station , the garage , vet office and apartment would look way better

32 minutes ago, ncx said:

Ninjago buildings don't count as modulars... they don't go with the Modular buildings as far as look, not by a long shot.  It's a completely different continent too.  It clashes far more than the Diner first did.

Who said anything about Ninjago buildings? I’m talking about the five modulars currently available:

1. Parisian Restaurant

2. Detective’s Office

3. Brick Bank

4. Assembly Square

5. Downtown Diner

I don’t know why you thought I was talking about Ninjago stuff; I never mentioned any.

Also , im thinking of build this on the inverse order , like the door garage on the left side and door to the right side.

it´s more beautiful that way dont u think?

Just now, just_one said:
its growing on me but they should have dittched the gas station to make more space for everything else

if they dittched the gas station , the garage , vet office and apartment would look way better

That pretty much makes it a baseplate... be serious...  ditch the gas station and turn it into a doctors office or something 

Honestly, everyone is moaning too much. The only modular that I can't remember anyone moaning about was the Assembly Square, and that was only because no-one expected it to be 50% bigger. Every other modular since Pet Shop - every one - people have found something to moan about over them.

Town Hall - Too big, too expensive.
Palace Cinema - Bland interior
Parisian Restaurant - Too small in comparison to other modulars
Detective's Office - Too blocky exterior and 'only one side three floors high?'
Brick Bank - Too short, only two floors, and 'what's with that laundrette?'
Downtown Diner - wrong style, no smiley faces

And yet 90% of you will have or want them all. They've grown on you. You've seen reviews, photos, seen them in the flesh, seen others get them, and you've realised you like them after all, despite all the moaning when they were released.

And you'll do the same for this one. :wink:

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

Who said anything about Ninjago buildings? I’m talking about the five modulars currently available:

1. Parisian Restaurant

2. Detective’s Office

3. Brick Bank

4. Assembly Square

5. Downtown Diner

I don’t know why you thought I was talking about Ninjago stuff; I never mentioned any.

Where are you getting 6 then? Reason I mentioned Ninjago is because of the 2 sets that are connectable, some fans like to call these modulars when they aren't...

Detectives Office is retired, its no longer in production
Brick Bank is retiring by the end of the year and will be out of production at that time

Edited by ncx

14 minutes ago, chezzymann said:

The outside facade is pretty bland and the first floors details are far worse than brick bank, detectives office, or parisian restaurant. 

That’s an opinion, but doesn’t really answer my question. I think an attempt to quantify the specific number of details in the midulars would find s comparable number of them in this one to the other buildings you’ve mentioned.

Whether you like the details here is another matter, but I don’t think this set is lacking details.

Just now, Paperballpark said:

Honestly, everyone is moaning too much. The only modular that I can't remember anyone moaning about was the Assembly Square, and that was only because no-one expected it to be 50% bigger. Every other modular since Pet Shop - every one - people have found something to moan about over them.

Town Hall - Too big, too expensive.
Palace Cinema - Bland interior
Parisian Restaurant - Too small in comparison to other modulars
Detective's Office - Too blocky exterior and 'only one side three floors high?'
Brick Bank - Too short, only two floors, and 'what's with that laundrette?'
Downtown Diner - wrong style, no smiley faces

And yet 90% of you will have or want them all. They've grown on you. You've seen reviews, photos, seen them in the flesh, seen others get them, and you've realised you like them after all, despite all the moaning when they were released.

And you'll do the same for this one. :wink:

I feel the criticism is more justified this time considering the price increase and the underwhelming/flat facade. However, that's only my opinion. 

It's fine.

Really, though, I think it's a good example of what I discovered when I stopped making modular MOCs and started working in something closer to a classic Town scale (though my reasons were time, cost, and playability—since I have kids). I think that the 32-stud standard can be really helpful, but it can also be somewhat restrictive. This is true both in interior design and exterior. I compare the exterior of the Winter Village Fire Station to the modular Fire Brigade, for example, and I like the look of the WV set much better.

I love the design of the garage part of the set, but I think that it would have benefitted from more floor space. What's more, the floors on top kind of overwhelm the look of the building, I think. I prefer the garage in the Town Plan set from 2008. It stands on its own, so the retro garage look doesn't have to contend with two bigger floors. Furthermore, it appears that the modular garage doesn't have much more interior space than the one in the Town Plan.

I also love the design of the top two floors—but again, I think they overwhelm the garage. And when you're working in a bigger scale like the modular one, I feel that omissions stick out more—like the apartment with its lack of front door. Omissions like these in smaller-scale buildings make sense, especially if they're open-backed. But it's harder for me personally to overlook in bigger ones.

Edited by Still Raindrop

I like the design of this one. I wasn't expecting a corner building but an in-between building though. I thought that Assembly Square was just a special edition, not meant to be put between the other modulars, and Lego was going to continue the original square afterwards. Now we aren't able to make a full square with all existing modulars except Market Street and Assembly Square. I'm probably never going to make that square so it doesn't really bother me though.

The only disappointment is that the minifigs don't have the original smiley faces anymore. I know that was already the case with last years' Downtown Diner, but still.

After looking at it for some time, I can say that my first impressions hold up just fine.

The architecture looks awesome, the use of the curved tiles creates a unique look to the stonework for this building. The large diagonal wall is as beautiful as it is practical, and I like the way that the gas station wraps around some of the ground floor. I'm actually a big fan of the color scheme, which seems to be a divisive factor in this set. The sand blue and orange complement each other really well, and the dark green and white gas station paired with that looks sharp. The one thing that looks off are the seams along the bends of the building where quoins would normally go, but that's a sacrifice for that beautifully angled wall that I'll allow.

All those interesting angles and technical details such as the garage door roller are awesome, looks like something Mike had a hand with.

I also love the humor in the signage, "by accident we meet" :laugh:

I'm a fan and will buy it.  But not on Day 1.

The price doesn't bother me.  I still see it as a good value for the piece count and, for me, spending $200 for a ~10 day build (I always take my time with these) is definitely worth it.

I dig the 50s gas station... now what do I do with my Octan 60132?! :laugh:

Disappointing. That is one ugly building without charm. I have seen much better MOCs on Lego Ideas and other sites. 

Edited by Ogist

5 minutes ago, ncx said:

Where are you getting 6 then? Reason I mentioned Ninjago is because of the 2 sets that are connectable, some fans like to call these modulars when they aren't...

Because the Corner Garage is one additional one after the five I listed, and five plus one equals six.

Brick Bank is retiring by the end of the year and will be out of production at that time

Yes, I’m well aware of the retirement of these two, as I thought was clear when I said this:

51 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Right now, there are five modulars currently available at once, which I believe is a record. Depending upon how long it takes the currently-retiring Detective’s Office and Brick Bank to sell out, though, we could actually have six on shelves at once. Unreal!

(bolding, italicizing and underlining added for emphasis and clarity)

I didn’t mean six in production, but six that are available at once (hence my use of the word “available”). Detective’s Office and Brick Bank May have either ceased production or be about to, but there’s still stock of both in the channel. My second-to-last sentence in that post should have made it clear I was talking about six modulars all being available - not just on the secondary market, but new, from LEGO, at MSRP - all at once:

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Depending upon how long it takes the currently-retiring Detective’s Office and Brick Bank to sell out, though, we could actually have six on shelves at once.

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

Because the Corner Garage is one additional one after the five I listed, and five plus one equals six.

Yes, I’m well aware of the retirement of these two, as I thought was clear when I said this:

(bolding, italicizing and underlining added for emphasis and clarity)

I didn’t mean six in production, but six that are available at once (hence my use of the word “available”). Detective’s Office and Brick Bank May have either ceased production or be about to, but there’s still stock of both in the channel. My second-to-last sentence in that post should have made it clear I was talking about six modulars all being available - not just on the secondary market, but new, from LEGO, at MSRP - all at once:

It is sold out, Brick Bank, like I said, is the only one still in production and likely will end by Dec 31.  

so no, not 6 at once, 4.  the production run for the Brick Bank is to fill the back orders from Cyber Week.  It will be long gone before Corner Garage is available.

Edited by ncx

I don't really like the garage part, but the rest is great. I love dark orange, I love the vet idea (and the cheeky Indiana Jones reference), the figures look great and the animals likewise (though I would have liked a fresh colour for the parrot).

I, for one, am pleased that they seem to have ditched the old-school plain smiley faces in favor of the more modern detailed type faces. Saves me the trouble of replacing them.

The price bump, though... not so cool, LEGO. :sad:

I'll get this, but will wait for a sale.

Just found this review of it.  Makes me wonder if Lego waited this long so Reviewers had it in hand so they could promote it for them.

27 minutes ago, ncx said:

To my knowledge BB and DO have already been retired (may still be in stock at Lego store depending on region)

I'm really liking the new Modular! Not a huge fan of the weird space in between the three sections, a weird choice in my opinion and I think people will be hard-pressed to find a real-life architectural style that this technique replictates. Otherwise great set, don't mind the price too much, will wait for discount as always. 

3 minutes ago, ncx said:

It is sold out, Brick Bank, like I said, is the only one still in production and likely will end by Dec 31.  

so no, not 6 at once, 4.  the production run for the Brick Bank is to fill the back orders from Cyber Week.  It will be long gone before Corner Garage is available.

Brick Bank may be sold out in some places but over here you can still find it below MSRP in 10+ eshops.

This just screams GCPD to me. If I get this I'll probably customise it into the GCPD, I think the building works really well for a police station if you turn the garage into a garage for police cars and use the remaining area for a few (2 or so) holding cells and a reception. I'll put some desks on the first floor and I'll turn the pet clinic into a forensic laboratory. The second floor will have the commissioner's office and maybe a small briefing room. And of course I'll put the bat signal on the roof. Not sure what I'll do with the gas station however. I might have to make the ground floor bigger to fit everything in, but I don't want to mess with the architecture to much so I might have to remove the garage in its entirety to make the place a little less cramped. Of course I'll replace the sign with the GCPD letters, now not blocking the printed window since they're replaced as well (might use them into a different build eventually). Of course that is only if I can get it to work in Lego digital designer first and when I'm not too lazy to finish my projects.

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

This just screams GCPD to me. If I get this I'll probably customise it into the GCPD, I think the building works really well for a police station if you turn the garage into a garage for police cars and use the remaining area for a few (2 or so) holding cells and a reception. I'll put some desks on the first floor and I'll turn the pet clinic into a forensic laboratory. The second floor will have the commissioner's office and maybe a small briefing room. And of course I'll put the bat signal on the roof. Not sure what I'll do with the gas station however. I might have to make the ground floor bigger to fit everything in, but I don't want to mess with the architecture to much so I might have to remove the garage in its entirety to make the place a little less cramped. Of course I'll replace the sign with the GCPD letters, now not blocking the printed window since they're replaced as well (might use them into a different build eventually). Of course that is only if I can get it to work in Lego digital designer first and when I'm not too lazy to finish my projects.

what is GCPD? I'm from the US maybe I don't recognize this because its an international name?