Hmmm... I'm still undecided to whether I like it or not.

I like the colour scheme. I think the dark orange and sand blue work really well together. I would have preferred just a garage rather than a petrol station hybrid garage. It means I'm either going to have 2 petrol stations in my city or will have to get rid of my old octan station. This will probably be a building I will put on the periphery of my city. 

As with most of the modulars, I think I'll like it way more once I've built it! 

J

Not being from the city I have to ask...Are there 2nd floor vet clinics? 

Gas station/garage reminds me of older stations I have seen and seems to have a few neat features.  Think they should have walled in the stairs though.

Wouldn't this combination make the animals even more nervous at the vet with mechanic tools being used below?

1st thoughts are maybe redesign it a bit to have 2 apartment floors above the shop and make the vet clinic a stand alone building.

I like the little tree and the garage door mechanism.

Edited by CSW652

Honestly, I am pretty disappointed by the design and I am usually the one who would find every reason to like a LEGO set. Some of the clever parts usage does not serve it's purpose well to complement the building. The Parisian Restaurant is the perfect example of clever parts usage that perfectly fits the theme and design. But for the corner garage, it seemed that they try to fit as many clever building techniques just because. 

The color scheme does not stand out as compared to the Downtown Diner or the Detective's Office, and while it is nice to have Dark Orange again, I don't think it's put to good use here. One modular I can think of that had a similar type of design with a simple color scheme would be the Grand Emporium. But there's just that little something the GE had that made it work. 

The Corner Garage also has MOC-ish design to it, not to say that's bad, but the innovation that previous Modular Buildings had is lacking in this one. The techniques used for the diagonal angles, the windows, and the Garage area does look pretty cool. 

Well that's just my thoughts. I am sure the designers did a lot of experimentation with the color scheme and design, and they did a very good job actually.  As a building, the Corner Garage is actually a really solid design. Perhaps with the advent of Modular Buildings we had in the past few years have made our expectations for the next one greater than ever, especially with the fact that we just had the Downtown Diner this year, which I thought was mind blowing (although some people didn't like it?)

(I am really curious to know who designed this building! It's actually starting to grow on me, and I do like the interior. Maybe seeing it in real life would do it justice?)

Edit: I saw some more images, and damn, when placed beside the Diner, this suddenly became a masterpiece. Must Buy.:drool: I don't even know if what I said above are coherent anymore...

Edited by ExeSandbox

Wow, 77 members in recently browsing... *huh*

Honestly, I’m quite disappointed by this, expected something a lot better after waiting for months. Looks like some of the digital modular MOCs sold in Rebrickable. I don’t like the color scheme of the garage section and the upper two floors look too repetitive even if their color scheme is not bad. There are some nice mini builds, I like the truck and the TV very much but the rest isn’t special and the ground floor isn’t tiled which really disappointed me and the interior is lacking details in every floor. And this is 189€ with only 100 pieces more than the Downtown Diner which was 30€ cheaper?! Real shame, this could even not become a good parts pack. 

Edited by LegoModularFan

26 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

Vet's office is pretty good, although the fish in the picture is dead...

I notice the girl standing next to the dead fish is really into cats. So it is obvious who wants a dead fish. And then she gets to take the bunny home. Look out Thumper, you're cat food.

Oh... 

Well I'll definitely buy it, but I won't be in any hurry. I like the garage having seen it, but the facade of the main building is just boring as hell. I was really hoping for something as architecturally different to previous sets as the DD was to what came before. Feels like it could be an alternate build for a few previous modulars.

I look forward to seeing what talented Moc'ers do with it, to spruce it up a little.

11 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

Town hall dwarfs every modular.

And this is $200. Town hall was $200. Town hall also had 2700 pieces and was much larger. Even when adjusting for inflation for the past 6 years, town hall is only $20 more ($220 in 2018).  They're increasing the price and not providing any more value because they know people will still buy it. 

Edited by chezzymann

Just now, MAB said:

I notice the girl standing next to the dead fish is really into cats. So it is obvious who wants a dead fish. And then she gets to take the bunny home. Look out Thumper, you're cat food.

A dark turn of events! This building is more interesting than I thought, and that meat cleaver.... Diabolical!

This is a major step down in the Modular line imo. Feels cluttery & not elegant. No "wow factor". On the plus side, nice sand blue windows & the Dark Orange color (esp. 1x1 & 1x6 bricks) will now be much cheaper on BrickLink! Just like the Pet Shop and Assembly Square made sand blue affordable! :-)

55 minutes ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

Lego is going back in time:

Diner was representing the 1950s and 10264 is representing the 1930s (for example the look of the gas station and the TV).

This is certainly from the same era as the Diner.  

This was in the description on the Lego Shop @ Home page 

"On the ground level there’s a 1950s-style gas station with fuel pump, kiosk and a vehicle workshop complete with a roll-up door, vehicle lift and tire mounter"  

Just now, chezzymann said:

And this is $200. Town hall was $200. Town hall also had 2700 pieces and was much larger. Even when adjusting for inflation for the past 7 years, town hall is only $20 more ($220 in 2018).  They're increasing the price and not providing any more value because they know people will still buy it. 

You make a good point. Only explanation I can think of is that these parts cost more. But I'm definitely not happy with the increase in price without an increase in value. Only thing stopping me from rejecting the high price is my addiction.

Well......I'm not really feeling it despite not being a Modular collector. The Downtown Diner and the Assembly Square was literally mindblowing that I was and still be quite tempted to redirect from my plans and go for them. Even the Brick Bank really grow on me that it became my third favorite aside from the two. This time, it doesn't hit the spot. Maybe this would have to do with us having higher expectations with each past modular being introduced haha? 

But hey, me and my brother might have different thoughts when it grows on us or if he decide to grab that set and check how it is in real life. But I'll have to admit, I really like the garage, with the gas station and it's skylight roof, it's actually pretty cool. And the interiors is quite nice too. But for now, the upper floors won't get me, though maybe I can't be blaming since the actual architecture is probably in that way.

I'm sure a ton of work is put into this and I'll give credit to that! Most likely it'll definitely grow on me hehe! Now that I've seen (as I'm typing my thoughts) how it complements with the Downtown Diner and the Assembly Square well at the back of the box, I'm pretty excited to see how all the Modulars looks together with this addition! Well! It's actually beginning to grow on me and my brother! And now....sold! (You could say that this is some sort of edit.)

Since the Modular discussion thread is closed, I'll say, it was interesting and quite fun lurking around and seeing the speculations/discussion about this!

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

1 hour ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

I think they were first launched in the 30s.

Looked it up.  I stand corrected apparently they did.  I was thinking it was more after WWII.

Edited by CSW652

Just now, CSW652 said:

Looked it up.  I stand corrected apparently they did.

here's a fun tidbit, 

This set is indeed from 1950 as the description states on the Lego site

1950s.jpg

The two real cons: 

From a real world perspective: who places a vets above a gas station? The smell of the gas wandering up the staircase and into the rooms... it wouldn't be the vets of my choice, not to mention the climb up the staircase with your sick pet. 

The car lift looks like it bounces the car around and does damage to the vehicle... maybe that's just in the example video, but otherwise, it looks very UN-realistic, which is such a shame. 

The one real pro: 

The garage doors are super cool! 

Just now, chezzymann said:

And this is $200. Town hall was $200. Town hall also had 2700 pieces and was much larger. Even when adjusting for inflation for the past 7 years, town hall is only $20 more ($220 in 2018).  They're increasing the price and not providing any more value because they know people will still buy it. 

But it is not just about the number of parts used. You also need to consider the ammount of different parts used ánd the design itself. Town Hall is not a complex building, Corner Garage has a more going on structural and interiorly.

That said, I do agree it feels overpriced. For only 60 euro more you can buy the Assembly Square. This set should have been arround the 160 euro mark.

Well it looks better than I thought when I first heard it would be a garage. Still not sure on my thoughts for it overall. I love the sign for the garage "By accident we meet" though.

2 minutes ago, OxnardMontalvo said:

But it is not just about the number of parts used. You also need to consider the ammount of different parts used ánd the design itself. Town Hall is not a complex building, Corner Garage has a more going on structural and interiorly.

That said, I do agree it feels overpriced. For only 60 euro more you can buy the Assembly Square. This set should have been arround the 160 euro mark.

omg, shhhhh, don't say that because if I warm up to that idea, I would buy another one of those instead of this one...

Edited by ncx

Hmm... Not really digging this. It's underwhelming, lacks details and I do not see how they can justify the price increase. 

The two upper floors are really lacking interiors and do not have nearly as much detail as e.g. Parisian Restaurant. 

The front of the upper floors remind me of an old government building from the outside. Where's the detail and creativity, seen in previous sets?

It's nice. Not as beautiful as the DD, but still pretty nice. 270 CAD hurts, but at least it's proportional to 200 USD. 

I like that the inverted corner and the protruding gas station bring some variety to the modular street. Despite not being as likeable as the DD, both in terms of design and value, I'll still pick it up come January 1st.

I like it! As with all the modulars, I see things I might like to mod and perhaps expand, but I think it’s a winner. I definitely want to see more of it.

Right now, there are five modulars currently available at once, which I believe is a record. Depending upon how long it takes the currently-retiring Detective’s Office and Brick Bank to sell out, though, we could actually have six on shelves at once. Unreal!

21 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Very mixed reactions on social media. 

...which should not affect one's own feelings toward the set.

Just now, Bainter-ban said:

Hmm... Not really digging this. It's underwhelming, lacks details and I do not see how they can justify the price increase. 

The two upper floors are really lacking interiors and do not have nearly as much detail as e.g. Parisian Restaurant. 

The front of the upper floors remind me of an old government building from the outside. Where's the detail and creativity, seen in previous sets?

Lacks details? How?

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

I like it! As with all the modulars, I see things I might like to mod and perhaps expand, but I think it’s a winner. I definitely want to see more of it.

Right now, there are five modulars currently available at once, which I believe is a record. Depending upon how long it takes the currently-retiring Detective’s Office and Brick Bank to sell out, though, we could actually have six on shelves at once. Unreal!

Ninjago buildings don't count as modulars... they don't go with the Modular buildings as far as look, not by a long shot.  It's a completely different continent too.  It clashes far more than the Diner first did.

It looks good, but I am far away from being amazed. Always good to have a new wave of dark orange coming though. For me the best part is that sand blue windows are now available in all sizes (or did I miss that they already were?).