Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

The WTC Advent Calendar 2018

Day 17 - And so the cookie crumbles

With all the activity around the huge Merrynight Tree, Chef Curtis could not leave this opportunity go to waste. He quickly set up a booth to sell his cookies, with a gingerbread house featuring prominently to attract customers.

dBaUlRe.jpg

Just now, Ross Fisher said:

That gingerbread house is awesome microscale work!

I can not take credit for that one, as it (mostly) comes from last years Lego City Advent Calendar. I only removed the brown plate and put it on a white turntable, to have it aligned differently.

Day 18 - The Wayfarers Bread

Cut up 100g each of whole hazelnuts and almonds - pieces of irregular size are perfect!

Sieve a pound of flour into a bowl, add a pound of sugar, the nuts, three tablespoons of cocoa, two teaspoons of cinnamon, one tablespoon of ground cloves and a tablespoon of baking powder. Mix with four whole eggs and 200ml of sour cream. Knead into a dough and roll onto a greased baking tray.

In a preheated oven, bake at 200°C for about 30 minutes.

In the meantime, mix 100g of sieved powdered sugar with one tablespoons of hot water (maybe add a bit more if too clumpy). Spread this icing over the baked Wayfarers Bread while still hot. Cut into pieces of about 2x5 cm.

If these turn out too hard: put them into a container with some slices of fresh apple. They will get mellow after a night or two.

Day 19 - Warming ya tummy... and nuts!

The unusually cold weather these days - there had been reports of snow in some parts of Mesabi Landing! - made unusual products  a welcome addition to the Merrynight Market. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson had set up a fireplace, over which they made and sold mulled wine and roasted nuts.

The fire was made to burn slow and steady. That way the wine could be kept hot without cooking it, and the nuts were roasted over time, instead of burning them. Mr. Johnson was successfully selling cups of hot mulled wine to thankful customers: not only was the cup warming their hands, but the wine warmed their inside. Mrs. Johnson took care of the roasted nuts, which were sold in small paper bags.

f2D0jrG.jpg.krLSINA.jpg

Friends are made over a hot cuppa...                                                                              ... and not everybody feels the cold the same way: a shirt?!

Spoiler

vp4p4Gh.jpg

Day 20 - What a difference a day makes

Snow in Mesabi Landing? Inconceivable! But so it happened...

"Good job man. Since I have seen how well you removed the snow from the pathway here: move over to the Merrynight Market, and clear it too!"

orLEnqE.jpg

Over there Mr. Morrison - leaving his shop in Market Street closed for a while - had set up a booth to sell warm headgear for these cold days. The collection of woolen and furry hats and cowls on offer left quite an impression with some customers.

iTqshrz.jpg

Day 21 & 22 - Have yourself a merry little... horse sausage!

Merrynight was fast approaching, time seemed to fly by.

While in the past trees for Merrynight were hard to get or vastly overpriced due to low supply - sometimes the only option was a substitute! - these days trees were easy to get, even in Mesabi Landing.

At a sales booth they were advertised loudly...                                                    ... which quickly attracted the first customers.

6qU8UZA.jpg.jLcZdYU.jpg

In another corner of the marketplace the WTC had set up a sale of their own. Horsages - horse sausage in a bun! Ever since Chef Curtis had invented his amazing sausage holder, the idea had grown bigger and bigger. Selling some Horsages on the Merrynight Market was a great opportunity to bring more attention to this ingenious snack, to take the Brick Seas by storm soon! And indeed, wether served with tomato sauce or mustard on top, or with the secret "black sauce", the Horsage was a great success with scoundrels and swell ladies alike.

5JOSTC9.jpg.yWkHaXw.jpg

Spoiler

qaiv4TG.jpg

=====

My very own "merrynight preperations" took this one off track a bit. Back on schedule for now, but the 24th might be late again...

A shoutout to @dr_spock, @Elostirion and @Captain Braunsfeld: I used your great entries from the 2016 mini-challenge for my story.

Also referencing @Mesabis "hotdog bun invention" again, finally introducing the WTC brand Horsage! :pir-grin:

Edited by Drunknok

Day 23 & 24 - Merrynight, back on track

"Last Merrynight I gave you my Brick?"

"Have yourself a merry little Brickmas?"

"Jingle Bricks?"

"Twelve Days of Merrymas!"

"Okay, just let us practice something, the fourth candle is burning, it is almost Merrynight!"

4rtlD4n.jpg

Another night came, another day rose, and it was finally Merrynight. A day like none before, as Mesabi Landing was caught in a severe snowstorm, the likes of nobody had ever experienced before.

knock...

Knock...

KNOCK!

HS99WxS.jpg

A bearded stranger had arrived out of the blizzard, dressed in a red hood and hat. With a booming voice he shouted: "Ye fools! If you do not want to mess up Merrynight, you bring out my book, the sack, and whatever presents you took! Time is runing out!"

Despite his usual grumpy attitude, Mordo knes the situation was serious. He ordered all presents to be brought out.

vddftgu.jpg

"Here ya go, old fella. Now care to explain yourself? We worked hard over the last weeks to get this stuff done!"

"Ho, ho, ho! You have done well, young Mr. Mordo. I might even scratch some of your WTC buddies off the naughty-list... a few of them... maybe... but I digress. See, my kittke buddy here got washed off his boat in a storm some weeks ago, losing some precious items of mine. It seems like you found them, and even acted on some of the contents of my scripture. Still, I need it all back. Let me handle the rest from here on out. Rest assured that I will take good care of all your presents, and shall deliver them tonight."

"Hold on... so there is no profit in this for us?!"

"Ho, ho... hum. I think I can spare some of my reindeers. They taste kind of like horses. Deal?"

"Deal!"

socQaAA.jpg

And so the strange old man and his little helper disappeared in the snowstorm, taking the presents with them. Everything was well - unless you were one of those reindeers...

We wish you a happy Merrynight!

mctvUrv.jpg

Edited by Drunknok