[TC15] Technic Aircraft Contest - Information Topic - 17th February

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

If I throw a rock, it will fly :devil_laugh:

Looking forward to it :tongue:

50 minutes ago, Seasider said:

From Dictionary . Com

aircraft

noun, plural air·craft.

1. any machine supported for flight in the air by buoyancy or by the dynamic action of air on its surfaces, especially powered airplanes, gliders and helicopters.

Let's build something like this :laugh:

Now this is a cool theme. I'm not into aircraft, so this sounds like a fun new challenge for me. Also, I have some helicopter blades lying around (like those from 9396), which I haven't used yet. This contest looks to be the perfect opportunity to put them to use. So I think I'm going to do a helicopter of some sort. Interestingly, those blades determine a scale range right away, so my build will have to have a size similar to 9396 and other official helicopter sets.

By the way, I like the mortal/immortal category idea.:thumbup:

I have never built an aircraft before, but I guess I can give it a shot.  Good to see a contest during winter break for the college students, thanks Jim and Milan! :sweet:

As for what I am going to build, I have no idea.  But I am going to go old school technic, try to keep the number of panels low and be able to see the functions of the plane.  It will be the first set I build without PowerFunctions since PowerFunctions is the thing :grin:

Good luck to all the contestants!! :thumbup:

This contest looks fun! As soon as I saw it I was in brain overdrive.

I had this idea to have a pneumatic engine as the main propeller driver. But as contests don't allow modified pieces, I don't think that'll fly so well. (Pun sort of intended.)

Better go order some more panels.... Good luck everyone!

And well I have never built an MOC before so don't know what I shall end up building. But this theme is inspiring me to come up with something interesting. 

I think I'll have some time to enter. I already have an idea: a simple airplane... nothing unique, nothing strangeness. It's too easy to win with unique ideas :P

Question about the immortal/mortal issue (brilliant idea by the way)--is immortal someone who has won any contest on EB or is it specific to previous Technic contests?

This contest sounds quite challenging, I hope I can get something together. Thanks for putting the due date after the holidays :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Jim said:

Okay, spaceshuttles are allowed.

I will simplify the rules, because I am getting a bit tired of the usual endless stream of questions to find the egde cases of the contest :hmpf_bad:

BUILD SOMETHING THAT FLIES IN OUR ATMOSPHERE....WHATEVER.

Good luck!

Did Jim just fly off the handle?

I see that SBrick and BuWizz are allowed. What about PFx Brick (with accessories like LEDs and speaker)? Or is it excluded to avoid discussions on allowable 3rd part accessories?

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

I think there's a typo in the deadline. You meant 24th of February, right?

Oooops....not February though.

Deadline date is Monday the 28th of January 2019. Contest will be closed on Tuesday the 29th of January, OR LATER.

8 hours ago, kolbjha said:

I see that SBrick and BuWizz are allowed. What about PFx Brick (with accessories like LEDs and speaker)? Or is it excluded to avoid discussions on allowable 3rd part accessories?

I was in doubt. It was allowed in the previous contest, but I don't want the emphasis on blinking lights and sound effects. I was thinking about excluding the SBrick and BuWizz too, but they are pretty much integrated in our Technic collection nowadays and they are more or less replacements for the usual PF elements. 

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Are pneumatics allowed? There's no mention of them in the rules.

Yeah, sure thing! 

11 hours ago, Don_510 said:

Did Jim just fly off the handle?

Yup, I did...for an hour or so :laugh:

23 hours ago, Lipko said:

I think I'll have some time to enter. I already have an idea: a simple airplane... nothing unique, nothing strangeness. It's too easy to win with unique ideas :P

:excited: :laugh:

Fun stuff!, i will try to enter, sadly i DNF last TC.. 

@Jim I might be pushing the boundaries here but: are DIY (non-lego) air tanks allowed?

3 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

@Jim I might be pushing the boundaries here but: are DIY (non-lego) air tanks allowed?

I will make the last statement even more clear than it already was...

Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

:sweet:

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

Thank you, makes sense i guess: 

It seems to be an interesting contest, I will probably apply for it.
It might be a good challenge for me as I mainly build some 4-wheel vehicle :grin:

Great idea for a contest.  I have always felt that aircraft are underutilized in Technic.  I am as excited, or even moreso, for this contest as I have been for any for quite some time.  GL to all contestants....

The more I looked into  Lego Technic aircrafts, I am blown away by the complexity of some of the builds.  Definitely going out in the wilderness with this build.  

Wish I could enter this one, don't really have access to my collection at college, maybe time over break, though I have other moc's that need TLC.

Will see... maybe I can whip up a Ju-87 at a decent scale.

Though maybe for some inspiration.

huz0lu3epfwz.jpg

... Yes that's a tank plane

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

1 hour ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

... Yes that's a tank plane

Wow a flying tank - and if we wanted to get more imaginative we could also build a flying bulldozer/tracked loader and what not !!!!

Not trying to be provocative (but I know this is) but what is it with people creating entry topics as place holders with no build photos?

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Not trying to be provocative (but I know this is) but what is it with people creating entry topics as place holders with no build photos?

They don't want to win the raffle prize :laugh:

It's explicitly stated in the rules that a discussion topic needs to show some progress.

However......

I do think that generating discussion is what we are looking for on EuroBricks. So we probably need to loosen the rules a bit, in order to get more active discussions.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I am very sorry that I have disappointed most of us in this community with my placeholder topic that is devoid of any meaningful/interesting details, but I promise to update the topic with some WIP pics over the weekend and if possible sometime sooner. The placeholder topic is more of a driver for myself to get my acts together. The last time I tried to participate in TC14 and failed horribly due to lack of proper planning. Hence, the first thing I did this time is to come up with a plan with timelines to make sure I am on track to complete things on time.

2 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

I am very sorry that I have disappointed most of us in this community with my placeholder topic that is devoid of any meaningful/interesting details, but I promise to update the topic with some WIP pics over the weekend and if possible sometime sooner. The placeholder topic is more of a driver for myself to get my acts together. The last time I tried to participate in TC14 and failed horribly due to lack of proper planning. Hence, the first thing I did this time is to come up with a plan with timelines to make sure I am on track to complete things on time.

Don't worry about it too much. Sometimes enthusiasm makes a person eager to create a topic and get started. You are forgiven hehe

Fun suggestion for those to get some ideas, look up Kerbal Space Program. A lot of people build some nice planes there: 

One of mine for reference (Because I don't want copyright)

This is the plane i am referencing my build on.

800x450.jpg