Jim

[TC15] Technic Aircraft Contest - Information Topic - 17th February

I have a question, are we allowed to build in an 80's technic style, for exemple with these studded beams
4e5be6bd1614170f9857c16a44357422.jpg
?

Sure! As long as you don’t make it Model Team.

11 hours ago, Jim said:

Don't worry about it too much. Sometimes enthusiasm makes a person eager to create a topic and get started. You are forgiven hehe

@Jim Thank you sir :classic:

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Is this model team?

As there are no beams or technic panels visible, I suppose it is.

11 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Is this model team? If so, I'll need to go back to the drawing board...

Yeah, sorry. Using old Technic beams and plates is okay, but we are looking for “pure” Technic builds. 

I won't be commenting in the separate topics, but I do see some nice progress! Just so you know I AM watching :laugh:

Just a general comment: TC15 rocks! I didn't have as much fun with the hobby since a long time! Thanks for cooking this one up @Jim and other staff/members involved:thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Just a general comment: TC15 rocks! I didn't have as much fun with the hobby since a long time! Thanks for cooking this one up @Jim and other staff/members involved:thumbup:

Great to hear!

On 12/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Fun suggestion for those to get some ideas, look up Kerbal Space Program. A lot of people build some nice planes there

I used KSP to Check my ssto idea for buildworthiness... Result meeeh :cry_sad:

Scrap the ssto try to build something more "grounded" 

Thinking out loud....would a temporary subforum be an idea for a running contest?! I can merge it back into Technic when the contest ends.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Thinking out loud....would a temporary subforum be an idea for a running contest?! I can merge it back into Technic when the contest ends.

Don’t the other Themes do competitions in sub forums ? I think they do, so I’m ok with it

5 hours ago, Jim said:

Weren't the competitions started in the first place to get some activity in this forum? In that light it is a bit odd to move them to a special subforum. There is a lot of traffic now, but that is also due to the reviews, you could also put them in a separate subforum I guess?

5 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Weren't the competitions started in the first place to get some activity in this forum? In that light it is a bit odd to move them to a special subforum. There is a lot of traffic now, but that is also due to the reviews, you could also put them in a separate subforum I guess?

The reason I suggested the subforum, is to have a nice overview of the different [TC15] topics. Everything related to the contest in a dedicated subforum. This makes it easy for everyone to visit the topics and see all the activity. 

8 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Might not be a bad idea, the competition has so much activity that other posts disappear out of sight so quickly they might not get the attention they deserve...

+1 It also applies to the competition topics too - currently there's only 3 TC15 topics on the first page, and there's even some that are on the 4th and 5th pages...

8 hours ago, Jim said:

The reason I suggested the subforum, is to have a nice overview of the different [TC15] topics. Everything related to the contest in a dedicated subforum. This makes it easy for everyone to visit the topics and see all the activity. 

+ 1 ... I too agree with this idea.

The only downside is that people need to actively go the subforum. We can leave a pinned topic in Technic, with a link to the subforum, but it might easily get overlooked by casual  bypassers.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

The only downside is that people need to actively go the subforum. We can leave a pinned topic in Technic, with a link to the subforum, but it might easily get overlooked by casual  bypassers.

Is it possible to have a subforum behave like a topic under the main forum? Meaning that any activity in the subforum displays as an unread topic/message on main forum page? This way the subforum will be actively pushed 'in sight' if any activity is there, when you visit the main forum.

I'm not sure what problem a subforum would solve. Seeing in the topic, it's clear it would introduce new problems. It makes the competition harder to find. If it's concentrated on one place, fewer people stumble upon it by accident. I.e. less serendipity.

Are people complaining they can't find stuff? At the end of the compo, there will be a neat list of all entries in the entry topic with links to all discussion topics. Isn't that exactly the overview that's suggested here?

Of course, you can only know the effect by testing, so if the staff wants to find out, I'm fine either way. I just don't see the particular reason to do this, really. If people want that overview, why don't they just make one? Wouldn't you have the benefits without the problems then?

As I still don't have idea for contest, I decided to build 9396, as I never had built it ...

On 12/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, Jurss said:

As I still don't have idea for contest, I decided to build 9396, as I never had built it ...

One of my favorite sets. I really like it. The color scheme seems a bit outdated, when you look at recent Technic sets, but the model itself is very nice.