Jim

[TC15] Technic Aircraft Contest - Information Topic - 17th February

10 hours ago, Jim said:

The raffle winner can choose one of the three remaining sets.

So what happens to the other two sets? Are they for you and @Milan?

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

So what happens to the other two sets? Are they for you and @Milan?

The two smaller sets are from my own collection, so they go back to my own collection :laugh:
I have a collection of smaller sets I use for prizes, so we will probably see these in raffles of future contests.
Or maybe I will use them for a second raffle this contest. Who knows :tongue: 

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Cool contest ?. Would a kite be allowed.

Yeah, we need to be as diverse/unrestrictive (is this even word?!) as possible. I am definitely cool with Kites.

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I’m ok with rockets, but can we keep it away from spacecraft. Is there a way to differentiate?

This is definitely what I am aiming for. I already stated in the OP that we don't want spaceships. But we need to find a way to make the scope of the contest very clear.

• Kites, yes
  • Gliders, yes (as long as they don't need another vehicle to get them in the sky. So no spaceshuttles/orbiters but you can make one of those triangular gliders which you use to jump of a mountain)
  • Spacecraft, no
  • Spaceshuttles/Orbiters, no, since they need another vehicle to get them in the sky
  • Rockets, not sure, but I would say yes, since they are self-propelled and they fly
  • SSTOs are Single Stage To Orbit-Spacecrafts , yes
  • Ground Effect Vehicles, yes
  • Hovercrafts, no

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Would a kite be allowed.

you know I thought of this this morning too and got a little excited about it, but then thought that it wouldn't have too many functions other than perhaps folding it up for storage etc. but would be cool to have a flying Lego kite.

Sort of agree with your list but wouldn’t have said Yes to rockets and SSTO craft as I class them as spacecraft.

but I’m not a mod

Edited by Seasider

29 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Sort of agree with your list but wouldn’t have said Yes to rockets and SSTO craft as I class them as spacecraft.

Rockets are not automatically Saturns, but can be ICBM's etc. But I would be happy to exclude them from the contest, since they are not what we are looking for anyway.

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

Just wondering, would something like this be allowed?

Yeah, that might provide some cool options.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Spacecraft, no

Just to get a feel for the rules:
Would the lander from interstellar be allowed:
960_Interstellar_Ranger__56382.145954606

And what about SpaceShipOne, it needs another vehicle to get in the sky but isn't an orbiter and flies mainly by aerodynamic lift:

attachment.aspx

Just now, schraubedrin said:

Just to get a feel for the rules:
Would the lander from interstellar be allowed:

And what about SpaceShipOne, it needs another vehicle to get in the sky but isn't an orbiter and flies mainly by aerodynamic lift:

To quote the rules: "we are not looking for futuristic unrealistic scifi designs". 

To quote the rules: "Gliders, yes (as long as they don't need another vehicle to get them in the sky"

:sweet:

Just add some engines and say it will be able to fly :laugh:

So your looking for Devices with pronounced lift surfaces. Either fixed wing or rotating wing (helicopters)? I deduced that fancy high scifi stuff like antigravity generators where forbidden by the rules. How Do you think about liftbody concepts? 

Just now, Rudivdk said:

All these grey area concepts and questions confuse me, I'll just build an airplane...:laugh:

Thank you! :laugh:

I like this contest and will definitely build something for it. I've just finished this little helicopter but I think it is too simple for attacking first places in contest... :blush:

1543751668m_DISPLAY.jpg

16 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

So your looking for Devices with pronounced lift surfaces. Either fixed wing or rotating wing (helicopters)? 

I am not looking for "Devices with pronounced lift surfaces". I am looking for planes, helicopters and maybe drone :laugh:

16 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

How Do you think about liftbody concepts? 

If they fit the rules, they fit the contest :wink: 

Just now, Tomik said:

I like this contest and will definitely build something for it. I've just finished this little helicopter but I think it is too simple for attacking first places in contest... :blush:

LoL :laugh:

3 hours ago, Jim said:
  • Spaceshuttles/Orbiters, no, since they need another vehicle to get them in the sky
  • Rockets, not sure, but I would say yes, since they are self-propelled and they fly 

This is very confusing.

Rockets, YES? Rockets are not aircrafts, they don’t fly. You can’t “drive” it left, right up and down. They just go straight. They are not piloted.

Spaceshuttles, NO? Did you forget that they have pilots, wings, flaps, wheels (landing gear)? They just need a rocket to get them INTO space, out of the atmosphere. They are very well capable of flying through the air (atmosphere) by themselves. In fact, they are piloted by humans when they are returning to earth and landed on the airstrip.

To me Spaceshuttle is more of an aircraft than rocket.

Will a pull-back-motor-powered propeller launcher be allowed? Because the actual flying part will be small/simple and not be self-propelled.

21 hours ago, Jim said:

DESCRIPTION
... You can come up with your own concept design (like the B-model of the BMW Motor Bike), but we are not looking for futuristic unrealistic scifi designs ...

This confuses me a little bit - if I interpret it correctly, 42063 B Model (BMW Motor Bike) are not allowed as part of this contest since this model is futuristic.

Just now, arijitdas said:

This confuses me a little bit - if I interpret it correctly, 42063 B Model (BMW Motor Bike) are not allowed as part of this contest since this model is futuristic.

It explicitly states that a something like the BMW model IS allowed.

35 minutes ago, pagicence said:

To me Spaceshuttle is more of an aircraft than rocket.

I agree.

Okay, spaceshuttles are allowed.

I will simplify the rules, because I am getting a bit tired of the usual endless stream of questions to find the egde cases of the contest :hmpf_bad:

BUILD SOMETHING THAT FLIES IN OUR ATMOSPHERE....WHATEVER.

Good luck!

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Now go build a Technic bird like grohl did.

lol ... now @Jim might cancel this contest out of frustration :laugh:

From Dictionary . Com

aircraft

noun, plural air·craft.
  1. any machine supported for flight in theair by buoyancy or by the dynamicaction of air on its surfaces, especiallypowered airplanes, gliders, andhelicopters.