Jim

[TC15] Technic Aircraft Contest - Information Topic - 17th February

Guys, I'm new here so I just make sure, to make a contest entry I must start a topic right? Thanks in advance!!!

Just now, ThePowder said:

Guys, I'm new here so I just make sure, to make a contest entry I must start a topic right? Thanks in advance!!!

Hi. Yes, you can start a discussion topic for you entry. And when you have completed the model, you need to create one post in the entry topic (this will be opened before the end of the contest). 

So, simply start a discussion topic for now, and you are good to go!

@Jim i was just wondering about the mortal/immortal system (which is great), I myself and many others have "earned" a medal for entering the TC12 wacky races contest, while i ended up at position 21 or something, I did get my only medal, but i cannot say i feel "Immortal" because of that.. I personally do not care about the prizes that much and the HoF would be the biggest prize in my mind, but i was wondering how this particular medal would be handled. 

edit: just noticed you called it a tag there and not a medal.. so guess i am just a mortal after all :sweet:

Edited by Marxpek

4 hours ago, Marxpek said:

edit: just noticed you called it a tag there and not a medal.. so guess i am just a mortal after all :sweet:

Hehe. The tag you currently have is indeed NOT a medal.

Hey @Jim, where do you draw the line in regards to "Unrealistic Sci-Fi designs"? @cyberdyne systems has an entry of a fictional airship aircraft carrier, but somebody said that it was unrealistic. I don't think the wording is specific enough, and I think some examples should be included. For instance, I interperate the wording as not allowing designs that require antigravity, but I don't know how you feel about that.

Hi. Please include a link when you make a post like this. It will make it easier for me to take a look :wink:

I have made it clear that we are NOT looking for unrealistic futuristic sci-fi designs. I have already turned down a Blade Runner vehicle and an X-Men like Helicarrier is obviously not allowed either. 

I am not providing any examples. People need to stop crossing obvious boundaries and just make a plane or helicopter, or something that will obviously fit the contest. Sorry for sounding harsh, but it’s not that difficult to pick a valid entry. 

And when in doubt, ask before you start building.

19 hours ago, Jim said:

Hehe. The tag you currently have is indeed NOT a medal.

"Here i was. proudly wearing the plastic badge the sheriff gave me, thinking i was a real cop" :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

"Here i was. proudly wearing the plastic badge the sheriff gave me, thinking i was a real cop" :laugh:

:laugh:

5 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Hey @Jim, where do you draw the line in regards to "Unrealistic Sci-Fi designs"? @cyberdyne systems has an entry of a fictional airship aircraft carrier, but somebody said that it was unrealistic. I don't think the wording is specific enough, and I think some examples should be included. For instance, I interperate the wording as not allowing designs that require antigravity, but I don't know how you feel about that.

I have found the topic and I am not sure about it :hmpf_bad:

It could be considered a Zeppelin, but it's very doubtful.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

:laugh:

I have found the topic and I am not sure about it :hmpf_bad:

It could be considered a Zeppelin, but it's very doubtful.

The vehicle it's based upon is most definitely a (dubbel) zeppelin, doesnt have warp drive or similar and it comes from a serie that isn't set in the far far future So I'd say fair game.
latest?cb=20121126233005latest?cb=20121127014701

That sure looks like a Zeppelin...of some sorts. Proceed :thumbup:

There seems to be a lot of folks cancelling projects out of frustration or pressure cuz of time. Wonder if it's worth it to move the contest back a bit. 

59 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

There seems to be a lot of folks cancelling projects out of frustration or pressure cuz of time. Wonder if it's worth it to move the contest back a bit. 

Usually, I am not against moving the contest back a bit, but we still have three and a half weeks. Isn't that enough?!

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Usually, I am not against moving the contest back a bit, but we still have three and a half weeks. Isn't that enough?!

I think the theme is a bit harder than the usual themes. Even if most of us love Technic aircrafts, there aren't that many aircraft MOCers so for most of us this build is out of our confort zone. Also it's one of the most interesting themes recently, mainly because the prevoius sentence, but it's set in the middle of the winter holidays. Also allowing only realistic models makes the building even harder (having functions but also preserving proportions and good looks).
So yep, this is a harder-than usual contest.
On a side note, I'm back in building but have little chance to finish even with a moved deadline (um... maybe 2 weeks moving would be enough :wink:)

@Lipko and @Jim the issues I’m having are a number of things.

I found it difficult to start this project and wanted to give myself a challenge as the topic for me was a VERY open one. I knew I wanted to build some type of aircraft I hadn’t built before and as an engineer and someone with an aeronautical degree I wanted something a bit different.

Christmas is always a difficult period for build time for me. I was away/busy with the better half for most of the 2 weeks holiday I had and also I have her birthday in January so that wipes out another weekend which is normally the only time I get an hour or so to build (as my build space is also her office during the week).

Also I’ve fallen out of love with the model I’m building this is in part down to the time I’ve had to work on it so far (a lot less than most people looking at the quality of the other models) and I’ve now got a few design issues that I don’t know how or which to solve first, see my thread. Very frustrating as an engineer I can tell you.

I was hoping to get some time to look at the project again and perhaps change the type of airplane it is this weekend but there are a whole host of jobs that I need to get done this weekend ... so I think if I’m lucky I’ll only get an hour to fiddle.

So this weekend is likely to be my decision point if I continue on this. As I said in my thread I’ve got a load of Lego sets to build that I haven’t built yet, my haul from Lego House/Land, the Apollo rocket and some 2019 sets to name some. On top of this I’m still (in the background) working on my Dodgem I started for an old TC comp (but reimagined, currently in lots of bits) and also reverse engineering a Porsche 911 from @Thirdwigg that’s been sitting idle in LDD for a long time.

I must say there are some fantastic models in this competition, I am disappointed that a lot seem to be (all be it very good) versions of real aircraft rather than pure own creations.

I’ll end my brain dump now as this has ended up a lot longer than I expected when I started typing!

If you all agree I am fine with adding two weeks to the contest.

Not really needed for me personally, but if it increases the amount of finished builds then by all means: yes, let's add two more weeks!

As a general contest idea: maybe some periods in the year should be defined when big contests with prizes should not be held. For example 1st to 31st of December and 15th of July to 31st of August or something. Small, fun contests could be held any time.

47 minutes ago, Lipko said:

As a general contest idea: maybe some periods in the year should be defined when big contests with prizes should not be held. For example 1st to 31st of December and 15th of July to 31st of August or something. Small, fun contests could be held any time.

If I am not mistaken some people actually requested a contest at the end of the year, because they would have more time to build. But I definitely understand December is a busy month. So, either we make the period longer (which I am not sure about, since the contest will lose focus) or we indeed avoid these periods.

Consider the two-week extension done btw :thumbup:

@Jim thanks for the extension in time (unfortunately I’m away for a long weekend at the new deadline ... Berlin film festival) but I’ll have to see how I get on over the next week and see if I get the love back for my model and solve some of the items I see as issues.

in terms of general competition timing I do like it when they’re spread out during the year. I think for the winter one October November would be better as then people have finished summer holidays (although saying that I was away then) and also it’s before Christmas festivities.

but you’re never going to please all the people all the time

Oct-Nov sounds like a plan. Voting first and second week of Dec and winners will receive their prize before Christmas.

But I am planning to do more contests this year :wink: 

@Jim, I was wondering: can I combine 2 iterations of my [TC15] entry and submit them as one? It's a weird request, but I have received a comment asking me if I would change the proportions of my plane to be better suited for flying. I want to implement the changes, but at the same time I want to represent my source material in all its glory, albeit not making an exact copy of the plane (which is what I've nearly got now). So would that be possible?

You can do whatever you want in your discussion (wip) topic, as long as you present a single model in your entry post :thumbup: 

Thank you @Jim for allowing 2 extra weeks for this contest. My absolute lack of experience with building MOCs is proving detrimental but I am still trying my best. Hope I should be able to present something acceptable by the end of this contest.