Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR ML] Green Line, Market Street Station

Mesabi Landing was growing and growing, and the relative shortage of horses meant people needed other ways to get from one point of the large city to another. So the already existing industrial railway was expanded, to allow for public transportation without hindering existing railroads.

One of those public railway lines was Green Line, going right through the center of Mesabi Landing. One of its stations is next to Market Street, buzzing with activity:

7CxX0Zf.jpg

Waiting at the station...                                                                                        ... for the train to arrive.

6qd34Yt.jpg.hXvgTSN.jpg

While some still could still catch this one...                                                            ... others have to wait for the next train!

iNzY8x1.jpg.SGPX0Kt.jpg

j89vex3.jpg

On Market Street itself, minifigs had many choices of where to spend their hard-earned dubloons:

Fo4P3um.jpg

R8FqIyY.jpg

You could buy some tasty pizza to take away...                                                 ... or take some time and enjoy it on the roof with friends:

l7zzzny.jpg.5KuHnAF.jpg

While inside, new pizzas were produced to keep up with the high demand:

TZVsbVk.jpg.mIeaUxk.jpg

How about a new haircut? Why not get the Argentia dust cleaned off your shiny shoes?

rjRbdmv.jpg.DY2pFbJ.jpg

Further down the road you can find an expert hatmaker, selling his latest creations:

4MctazG.jpg.0SqID0a.jpg

And while some customers discuss the hatmakers offering in front of the shop, Mordo of the WTC visits a mapmaker on the other side of the street...

6VLAZwi.jpg.EVleNkD.jpg

... discussing the origins and meaning of some maps he has recently aquired:

xzDuDql.jpg.vF09iZu.jpg

Upstairs, the mapmakers working room:

Spoiler

kCpzlKh.jpg

Speaking of the WTC - they are recruiting! Minifigs from all ways of life are eager to join the glorious WTC:

NWUPdVI.jpg.SNf2cdG.jpg

====================================================================================================================

Licensed as a large artisan for Mesabi Landing. The footprint is 32x72, which is equivalent to 48x48.

The railway in Mesabi Landing has been used in over a dozen builds now (13 to be precise!), but public transport has not yet been among them. This was something I wanted to change for some time now. Such a public transport needs to bring the public somewhere meaningful, so the idea was early one to have a station right next to a busy street of some sorts. While a lot of things changed over the course of building this, I am still reasonably happy with the result. Could it be prettier? Of course it could! But as usual I value playability higher than looks - and that "boxy building style" is also something of a feature for Mesabi Landing already.

Some birdeye views, including an "all roofs off" shot:

Spoiler

uzYIhIE.jpg

b2P9kLS.jpg

WhYpVMY.jpg

mMjyBTC.jpg

As for "artisans" in this build, we have:

• industrial railroad transportation service by the WTC
  • public railroad transportation service, including a station
  • a pizza restaurant (production and sale)
  • a map maker (production and sale)
  • a hat maker (production and sale)
  • a barber
  • a shoeshine boy

On top of all that, there is a recruitment stand for the WTC - this build does double duty for troop recruitment!

Many thanks to @gedren_y for letting his Crahaish neh Triuri share some maps with the WTC. While I am not yet sure what story they will end up in, it is something I am willing to work on! :thumbup:

As always, all C&C are welcome!

Edited by Drunknok

Looks very cosy and a nice look, I like the style.

Just the railroad I think is a little bit a weird touch to this build.. In my opinion

I like the look... nice busy street. I’m also a big fan of using the bsb sail as an awning. Well done. 

A simple suggestion: it looks like you are using a cloth light box. I use something similar for my builds. Up the exposure on your camera (many phones can even do this) until the cloth is fully white. Then a simple edit (I up the contrast a little, then add saturation to help the colors) and you can get that pretty “Lego set on blank white background” look.

Hope you you feel better soon!

2 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

By chance do you have the part number for the small square lattice windows?

If you mean Bricklink: I used this frame with this insert (coming from the current Hogwarts Great Hall).

Great build Drunknok! I mean personally it's a little modern for my taste, but there is no denying how much attention to detail you have paid to the scene, cramming as much activity as possible in. Gives a nice bustling feel which is entirely appropriate for a market scene. The 'boxy building style' looks good here, you've managed to insert enough variation in shape and texture to really pull it off well, yet retain the characteristic boxy look.

One suggestion with the light box. For some of my builds I have a piece of white cardboard (the thick plastic-y stuff) that I put down on the base of the box then place the MOC on top. This eliminates some of the shadows and creases on the floor and gives a crisp line between the base of the MOC and background. Then with a little post editing it should be a whole lot easier to completely erase the background if you so wish.

Probably one of my favourite ML builds to date. Well done!

On 11/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, TomSkippy said:

A simple suggestion: it looks like you are using a cloth light box. I use something similar for my builds. Up the exposure on your camera (many phones can even do this) until the cloth is fully white. Then a simple edit (I up the contrast a little, then add saturation to help the colors) and you can get that pretty “Lego set on blank white background” look.

24 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

One suggestion with the light box. For some of my builds I have a piece of white cardboard (the thick plastic-y stuff) that I put down on the base of the box then place the MOC on top. This eliminates some of the shadows and creases on the floor and gives a crisp line between the base of the MOC and background. Then with a little post editing it should be a whole lot easier to completely erase the background if you so wish.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions, I will see what I can do. :thumbup: