Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

AoM: Inn Phase 1: Alehouse

Ale is an important source of nutrition for many Mitgardians. The most common type, known as 'small beer' is an important source of calorie intake and hydration, with just enough alcohol to act as a preservative without intoxicating effects. Ales with a higher alcohol content are less common and are used mostly for recreational purposes. Ambarvale like most villages, has several alehouses where grains are fermented in small batches by family brewers. Sometimes spices or honey can be added to the ale, though the expense of these mostly imported ingredients mainly limits the purchase of this type of ale to the nobility.

46109216411_bc3e883dd5_c.jpg

Overnight the first snow of the season has fallen and the citizens go about their business preparing for the coming winter.

Having enjoyed the style my previous wainwright so much, I decided to replicate it again on a different building. I'll probably do most of the village in this style although we'll see how that works out... I was tempted to go for autumn again, but no, the snow needed to arrive. I was going for a light dusting. I'm not sure about it, although admittedly I know very little about snow (it doesn't really snow much here... once we had a small amount that was all melted by about 10am. :laugh:). Again I did a tropical version for BoBS, just because the conversion worked quite well last time! I don't plan on recycling too many builds between games, but when I do I promise to at least make some effort to change the versions like I have with these two.

Nice work David! Another great MOC from you, you're getting quite prolific without compromising on quality, impressive!

The dark bley is really nice, it contrasts well with the tan and medium dark flesh. Love the partially melted snow on the ground (can't believe you chose Mitgardia as an Aussie! :laugh:) but I think the bits of the roof look a little tacked on, there could be more here to make it more believable.

The 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 square plates work really well together as the pillars for the overhang. The 1x1 round plates in the roof ends look great and give a nice texture.

My only real criticism is the presentation lacks some polish - a few of the reddish brown tiles are misaligned, as is the 1x1 round brick stem at the apex of the roof. Maybe bits got knocked when you were switching styles?

lovely design here, Ayrlego - my fav parts must be those wooden columns as well as the terrace :wub: has that gable on the right moved a little upwards before you took the pic or is it my eyes going funny? Nice touch with the 'chicken boxes'. Also, glad to hear you're also kind of establishing a style for your village (like myself, I mean). And hey, look! Winter is finally here! :laugh: Good idea going for a light dusting, just to start with - I think you managed very well!

Another great addition to your town, I love the cohesive architectural style. I’d echo what others has said about pieces being a little out of place, like the offset ridge piece on the higher roof and one of your “timber” tiles being skewed on the section to the right. I like your posts around the bottom, but I’d recommend considering the way a vertical load would travel through the structure to the ground as a way to inform the location of the posts. For example, I’d think that you would need support directly beneath the corners of the half-timbered overhanging sections. Or, if you want some overhang, just beef up the horizontal element on the bottom of those sections to handle the stress from the cantilever action.

Still, this is an awesome moc with a lot of great details, and as someone who lives in the cold, I can endorse your depiction of snow.

Edited by The Stad

Another very nice addition, well done. Maybe a few more white pieces on the roof would have made it look a little more natural but aside from that it’s a stunning build. Those chicken-boxes are a very nice touch, great job! 

You're really putting this style to some good use, I like the way it looks here with the serious overhang off the stone part of the building. The pillars with 1x1 plates interspersed look surprisingly good, giving the house a touch of ornateness without seeming out of place.  I do agree with @The Stad though, they might have made more sense directly under the tudor style corners.  Great job with the snow on the ground, the bits on the roof are a little less convincing to me but as I see snow pretty infrequently too I'm not going to express my opinion on whether the snow should maybe be more at the ridge line. :laugh:  I feel like it might melt before it slid off, but I'm not at all sure.

Do I spy a lime green feather of the thin kind?  Where may that be from?  And on the subject of curiosities, where's the medium flesh broom from?  Looks great against the brown of the balcony. 

I really like the tiled roof and the tressels. the walls of the upper floor are nice with the two different tans and the 1x1 round plates.  The stone bottom is nice and the columns add another detail to the building.  The groundwork is good.  The figs are nicely done too, gives the scene a real lively feel.  Well done.  

Great, clean looking build. I think my favorite thing about your MOCs is your command of color. I always lean on the core Lego shades because that's what I have the most of, but I'm also a little afraid to branch out and try to think about color more. Your builds are inspiring for that. I do wish you'd do some interiors. This one especially looks like it could fit a nice one.

Fantastic!  This is great and really sticks with your already very nice style of buildings.  My favorite part of this is how well you captured a light snowfall that wasn't quite enough to cover the ground.  It really looks awesome.  The Tudor style with texture but not overly much is great, the bay windows look really good, love the sideways crates for storage/chickens, and the dark grey is a nice choice for the stonework.  Very nice work!

Man, you've been nailing this style recently! Looks excellent as usual, excellent colors! Personally I would prefer a few more patches of snow on the roof to keep it consistent with the super textured ground. :) Overall looks really good! :)

The ground looks convincing for a lightly snowy landscape that has had people walking all over it for a while. The roof does seem like it should have more snow on it, especially in the valleys. In a really snowy climate, actually, I think the place the left tower meets the roof of the right-hand section would lead to problems, since all of the ice and snow would collect against the wall of the tower and lead to serious structural damage from rot and the mere accumulation of weight. Again, as always, a delightful balance of colors, and the architectural style is quite nice, a pleasant blend between all-out hypertexturalism and ultra-smooth surfaces. I appreciate how you filled the corners in the roof peaks this time, hiding the gap between the decorative trim sections; the sideways 1x1 looks good there. 

@Kai NRG, the green feather can be found in this set, at least, since I have it. It is for the Green Arrow's hat, and I think it came with three of them. *Edit: I looked at the inventory on Brickset, and it indicates that that set is the only source for feather so far. It also is the only source for the dark green forester's (Robin Hood) hat. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

On 12/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

@Kai NRG, the green feather can be found in this set, at least, since I have it. It is for the Green Arrow's hat, and I think it came with three of them. *Edit: I looked at the inventory on Brickset, and it indicates that that set is the only source for feather so far. It also is the only source for the dark green forester's (Robin Hood) hat. 

Thanks!  Actually the hat also came with the CMF Lederhosen Guy, which I have.  But that feather is great, I want one! :laugh:

On 12/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, Kai NRG said:

Do I spy a lime green feather of the thin kind?  Where may that be from?  And on the subject of curiosities, where's the medium flesh broom from? 

Sorry for not replying sooner Kai, the lime feather was a random BL find, I had no idea where it came from until Henjin enlightened us! I also have the dark green forresters hat, but like you say mine is from the CMF Lederhosen guy. The broom is actually not medium flesh... it's listed on BL as 'Earth Orange'. Mine came from one of my childhood Fabuland sets.

55 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Sorry for not replying sooner Kai, the lime feather was a random BL find, I had no idea where it came from until Henjin enlightened us! I also have the dark green forresters hat, but like you say mine is from the CMF Lederhosen guy. The broom is actually not medium flesh... it's listed on BL as 'Earth Orange'. Mine came from one of my childhood Fabuland sets.

Oh, no problem, I'm not rushing off to buy one, just thought I might keep an eye out for it. :laugh:  I can never keep the oranges and dark fleshes straight.  Had no idea that broom mold was so old!

6 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Actually the hat also came with the CMF Lederhosen Guy, which I have.

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I also have the dark green forresters hat, but like you say mine is from the CMF Lederhosen guy.

Interesting. Brickset's database must be incomplete, then, since it said it was only in one set. Perhaps the lime feather is available in other sets, then, too? 

16 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Thanks!  Actually the hat also came with the CMF Lederhosen Guy, which I have.  But that feather is great, I want one! :laugh:

Are you sure? Bricklink lists the Lederhosen Guy with a white feather, not a lime green one.

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Interesting. Brickset's database must be incomplete, then, since it said it was only in one set. Perhaps the lime feather is available in other sets, then, too? 

Bricklink also has the lime grean feather only as part of the Justice League Anniversary Party - where it comes once for Green Arrow, and twice as extra.

8 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Are you sure? Bricklink lists the Lederhosen Guy with a white feather, not a lime green one.

No, I was talking about the dark green forester's hat - both the Lederhosen Guy and Green Arrow have that:

On 12/5/2018 at 1:21 PM, Kai NRG said:
On 12/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

It [Justice League Anniversary Party] also is the only source for the dark green forester's (Robin Hood) hat. 

18 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I checked on BL for the feather and it only listed that set.  I think Brickset gets their inventories from LEGO but there are gaps for certain things, I'm guessing CMFs are one of those.

Looks great, I once more like this version more than the other... I love the melting snow, the marbled like roof and the textured walls! The only thing I’m not sure about is the snow on the roof; I think it looks a bit unnatural to me. Anyway, keep up the amazing work! :classic: :thumbup:

I won't be tired of seeing you build houses in this style anytime soon. Very good layout once again, and your railing technique is lovely :thumbup:
Good to see some snow finally arrive :laugh:
Brilliant nesting boxes for the chickens too :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

I really like the clean look this build gives, the wood and roof look very pleasing