This is my fifth entry for the Colossal Castle Contest XVI. I always enjoy building microscale castle scenes, so I certainly wasn’t going to pass up the Micro Medieval Mountain category, even if the prize wasn’t very desirable for me… :laugh:
The micro ship design was inspired by @Henjin_Quilones, though I did modify it slightly for us here.

The fortress of Calbridge is built right into the Fjall mountains and its mighty walls protect the harbor and village along the coast.

overview-6.jpg

le.jpg

ship.jpg

inside.jpg

Looking for a better pictures of a specific detail? More images available on Brickbuilt.

I had a lot of fun with this build, hope you all enjoy :dsweet:

I really like the way the 2x2 three-sided slopes look at the base of the lower level towers looks here!  The shields also work great at the base of the second tower.  I'm not sure about the combination of trees as the pink flower trees and the green ones seem to be pretty different scales, but the pink ones are pretty!  Great little village at the bottom too!

Really lovely parts usage, great use of headlight bricks in all their many permutations! The clips as crenellations is a nice idea too.

Great work!

really nice. love the window as gate. not a fan of micro, but you do know how to go about it! :thumbup:

Very nice micro, SK! Glad you found a use for the boat design, and thanks for the shout out - though it's entirely possible I copied it from somewhere ultimately. I have a hard time keeping track of where I got this or that technique or idea, so it might be original, or maybe not! The differentiation in roof color between the town and the castle is nice, and the colors overall are crisp and clear. I think I am in agreement with Kai about the pink trees - they are nice enough, but they don't seem to match the rest in scale. Perhaps it is because with the way you did them, they seem to only have a shallow top canopy and not any lower branches, making the size of the pink flowers seem off. The rest is scaled beautifully, and I love your headlight brick windows, of all sizes. Well done!

Great work!  I like the flowering tree and the small wooden buildings near the shore the best.  It's reminiscent of the 2013 King's Castle to me.  I also like the use of the dark-trans blue for the ocean.  I think it gives it a lot of depth.  The portcullis is nice, too.  I don't get as much of a sense of the sideways headlight bricks being windows as I did in HQ's microcscale... maybe they are too regular?  It looks more like texture in the wall to me.  The headlight bricks laid down however, do look like windows to me and are great.  Very  nice work as usual. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:16 AM, InvisibleTimmy said:

Awesome MOC! The headlight bricks used for narrow windows is genius!

Thanks!

On 11/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, neonic said:

Looks great. So much details too. Like also the colors.
Nice boats too :classic:

Thank you, it was fun working with these classic colors :dsweet:

On 11/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, Kai NRG said:

I really like the way the 2x2 three-sided slopes look at the base of the lower level towers looks here!  The shields also work great at the base of the second tower.  I'm not sure about the combination of trees as the pink flower trees and the green ones seem to be pretty different scales, but the pink ones are pretty!  Great little village at the bottom too!

Thanks Kai! I was a little unsure about those tower foundations at first, but am glad I left them in. You may be right about the trees, guess I just figured the cones were little pine trees next to some much larger deciduous trees :laugh:

On 11/29/2018 at 3:23 AM, Basiliscus said:

Really lovely parts usage, great use of headlight bricks in all their many permutations! The clips as crenellations is a nice idea too.

Great work!

Thanks Basiliscus, headlight bricks are so useful!

On 11/29/2018 at 4:03 AM, Muakhah said:

I think my favorite part is the little village by the foot of the castle and the sea.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked that portion as I spent a good amount of time on that area.

On 11/30/2018 at 4:35 AM, en_zoo said:

really nice. love the window as gate. not a fan of micro, but you do know how to go about it! :thumbup:

Thanks en_zoo! I'm a bit shocked to hear you don't like microscale builds *oh2* Surely there's something to appreciate about quality LEGO creations regardless of scale?
While I haven't worked with larger than fig scale models myself, I love seeing others handle them well.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:00 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very nice micro, SK! Glad you found a use for the boat design, and thanks for the shout out - though it's entirely possible I copied it from somewhere ultimately. I have a hard time keeping track of where I got this or that technique or idea, so it might be original, or maybe not! The differentiation in roof color between the town and the castle is nice, and the colors overall are crisp and clear. I think I am in agreement with Kai about the pink trees - they are nice enough, but they don't seem to match the rest in scale. Perhaps it is because with the way you did them, they seem to only have a shallow top canopy and not any lower branches, making the size of the pink flowers seem off. The rest is scaled beautifully, and I love your headlight brick windows, of all sizes. Well done!

Thanks HQ!

On 12/1/2018 at 7:37 PM, Grover said:

Great work!  I like the flowering tree and the small wooden buildings near the shore the best.  It's reminiscent of the 2013 King's Castle to me.  I also like the use of the dark-trans blue for the ocean.  I think it gives it a lot of depth.  The portcullis is nice, too.  I don't get as much of a sense of the sideways headlight bricks being windows as I did in HQ's microcscale... maybe they are too regular?  It looks more like texture in the wall to me.  The headlight bricks laid down however, do look like windows to me and are great.  Very  nice work as usual. 

Thank you Grover, my idea for the narrow headlight brick windows was to be arrow slits rather than full windows.

Nice little castle, lots of details on that small footprint :thumbup:
I like the attention to the interior of the wall also, reminds me a bit of Minas Tirith with the row of houses crammed in between layers of walls.

23 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Thanks en_zoo! I'm a bit shocked to hear you don't like microscale builds *oh2* Surely there's something to appreciate about quality LEGO creations regardless of scale?

Well I didn't say 'I don't like them'.. :grin: no, seriously - that's a good lesson you have there for me - I've always prioritised fig-scaled builds... Uhhm, my eye (and mind) might not be ripe enough yet, but thanks for pointing it out, it'll be food for thought!

On 12/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, Gideon said:

Nice little castle, lots of details on that small footprint :thumbup:
I like the attention to the interior of the wall also, reminds me a bit of Minas Tirith with the row of houses crammed in between layers of walls.

Thanks Gideon!

On 1/4/2019 at 10:42 PM, OrangeGareth said:

Excellent mini scale castle. Great incorporation of castle and rock.

Thank you very much Gareth :classic:

Excellent little castle! Love the different styles for the roofs and tower bases. The colour combination is great too, very coherent yet enough differences between the different parts of the build