TheFunnyMan

My Setup (has pics now!)

This is my setup as of November 2018.  It's always evolving so I don't want to over-explain what i'm doing, where i'm heading with it or how I got there.  Would love to hear everyone's honest thoughts on this stuff...

I only put some of the pics in this post - the rest can be found here:  https://1drv.ms/a/s!AkOVanwP86VRg6l9Mj2R98X4uKHlhw

32219027658_d5b0885dd5_b.jpg20181123_015850841_iOS by Rocco C, on Flickr

45178439965_1f6b7c4467_b.jpg20181123_015911237_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

45178439605_18b0d66f2b_b.jpg20181123_015938748_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

46090236311_e4da4efda7_b.jpg20181123_015949913_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

45365977334_e48a3fc1a1_b.jpg20181123_020109890_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

46090237671_b262293c69_b.jpg20181123_020243977_iOS by Rocco C, on Flickr

45365976254_a2269eedca_b.jpg20181123_020250042_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

45365975494_5d5d9effff_b.jpg20181123_020401019_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

32219023638_46bab175e6_b.jpg20181123_020523281_iOS by Rocco C, on Flickr

46090237241_d928353cbf_b.jpg20181123_020335299_iOS (2) by Rocco C, on Flickr

Edited by TheFunnyMan
Trying, Again, to post pics - even setup a Flickr just for this post!

No need to delete the thread, the link works fine! 

And what a nice city!

Well I wanted to post some of the pics right in this thread but - I even searched the eurobricks site to see how to post pics here (no different than most forums) but everything just shows the links - any advice would be welcomed!

You need to get a URL for the photo, and it must be for the photo alone. What I did below was select one of your photos and selected the option "View Original" and copy the URL. In the lower right of this comment box, there is a button "Insert other media", select the  "Insert image from URL" and paste the URL into the box. You should see a preview of the image in your comment, and it will show up.

Now why the photo is upside down, I dont know :) 

20181123_015850841_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Edited by jpx

My neck is fine...:tongue: One thing I would change is your buildings layout. Having them all in a line in rows looks a bit boring, despite your great MOCs. 

I've been looking a lot at your house MOCs, they are really cool and well build! 

Very nice!

I like the hospital, bike shop and ... is it a book store? Or a “books for cats” store because in your Lego City the cats are as intelligent as humans?

The row of four townhouses is also beautiful. Are they your own designs?

3 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Very nice!

I like the hospital, bike shop and ... is it a book store? Or a “books for cats” store because in your Lego City the cats are as intelligent as humans?

The row of four townhouses is also beautiful. Are they your own designs?

Thanks for all the comments about the townhouses - they are only partly my own designs.  About 2 years ago I got some instructions for free from modularsbykristel.com and modified them to be a little more basic and also fit what I already had the bricks for.  Once I got the sand-green one done I ordered the bricks (bricklink) for the other 3. My goal was to create 4 identical houses with 4 identical families living in - all with the dad going to work, kids playing, etc - kind of a lame attempt at irony.

The "book shop" is an alternative build to the "Pet Shop" that I bought the instructions for from rebrickable.  It was a frustrating build but it was a cool way to mix things up.

In the future i'm doing alt-builds for the detective's office, brick bank and the diner.  Always working!

Well, it's a lot better than all those mediocre ones that get up voted on r/Lego that only have 8 official modular buildings and no MOCs, I like your houses

The old style trees on the grey baseplate could be expanded upon a bit- this look is fine for Classic Town but sparse for Modular.

1 minute ago, CopperTablet said:

Well, it's a lot better than all those mediocre ones that get up voted on r/Lego that only have 8 official modular buildings and no MOCs, I like your houses

The old style trees on the grey baseplate could be expanded upon a bit- this look is fine for Classic Town but sparse for Modular.

Thanks for the comment!  I plan to replace all of the old style trees eventually.  I want to use the tree style that they used for the coaster set which uses that new 3-pedal leaf design but it's going to take a while to source those bricks.  I've had lots of other tree ideas that I have found around the web and some that I have thought of myself but they have all looked kind of dumb when I actually put them in place.  Sometimes you just gotta use what you have, right? :)

1 hour ago, TheFunnyMan said:

Thanks for all the comments about the townhouses - they are only partly my own designs.  About 2 years ago I got some instructions for free from modularsbykristel.com and modified them to be a little more basic and also fit what I already had the bricks for.  Once I got the sand-green one done I ordered the bricks (bricklink) for the other 3. My goal was to create 4 identical houses with 4 identical families living in - all with the dad going to work, kids playing, etc - kind of a lame attempt at irony.

The "book shop" is an alternative build to the "Pet Shop" that I bought the instructions for from rebrickable.  It was a frustrating build but it was a cool way to mix things up.

In the future i'm doing alt-builds for the detective's office, brick bank and the diner.  Always working!

You got a great city going on, and I can see that you're also a fan of MOD's! :grin:

I'm especially addored by your Biker store, can you share me some details? (e.g. instructions, price, bricklinking...) :)

Just now, Doge said:

You got a great city going on, and I can see that you're also a fan of MOD's! :grin:

I'm especially addored by your Biker store, can you share me some details? (e.g. instructions, price, bricklinking...) :)

Ok so the Bike Shop and Hospital next to it are from a group called Brickative - google them - they make some pretty cool stuff.  I bought instructions from them.  They provided an XML file to me and I uploaded that to mybrick link 'wanted lists' - then I went through that list and found (within reason) as many bricks as I could in my own stockpile and removed those bricks from the list so that I didn't order a bunch of stuff that I already had.  I did have one issue with the hospital and I contacted Brickative and the guy got back to me really fast and provided the info I needed.

2 minutes ago, TheFunnyMan said:

Ok so the Bike Shop and Hospital next to it are from a group called Brickative - google them - they make some pretty cool stuff.  I bought instructions from them.  They provided an XML file to me and I uploaded that to mybrick link 'wanted lists' - then I went through that list and found (within reason) as many bricks as I could in my own stockpile and removed those bricks from the list so that I didn't order a bunch of stuff that I already had.  I did have one issue with the hospital and I contacted Brickative and the guy got back to me really fast and provided the info I needed.

Ah I see, I already saw the design coming by but never when it was actually build! It really looks quite much like a modular. Do you also get an instruction pdf? And was it expensive to build? Also, thanks for your reply! ;)

1 hour ago, Doge said:

Ah I see, I already saw the design coming by but never when it was actually build! It really looks quite much like a modular. Do you also get an instruction pdf? And was it expensive to build? Also, thanks for your reply! ;)

It was relatively expensive - If I added to the wanted list and chose 'new' condition only for the bricks it would have been like $700 to build.  Putting in 'Used' dropped it to around $400+ and it was in the high $300 range (USD) for 'any' condition - I ended up doing used bricks plus subtracting what I already had on hand and it was about $300 for the bike shop.  A little more for the hospital because of all the masonry bricks but I really wanted them to all be new so it would shine.

And yes - the instructions were in PDF format.  I had them up on my ipad and sometimes on my laptop while building.

Here is a link to where they sell their instuctions - I have several other builds to catch up on but once i'm done with those, and ESPECIALLY if LEGO does not release a modular in January, I'll circle back and do at least one more from Brickative if not 2.  I really REALLY like their "Victor's Lab" build.

http://brickative.shoplo.com/category/modulars

10 hours ago, TheFunnyMan said:

Cool - thank you!

I've now added even more builds to my wish list / to do list. I really like the townhouses. And now I'm wishing that I'd purchased a second Pet Shop when it was readily available - the alternate design is really cool. And I didn't even connect the dots!

I look forward to seeing your alternate builds for the Detective's Office, Brick Bank and Diner too. Are you working off your own designs or some alternate instructions which are available online?

On 11/29/2018 at 7:42 PM, TheFunnyMan said:

It was relatively expensive - If I added to the wanted list and chose 'new' condition only for the bricks it would have been like $700 to build.  Putting in 'Used' dropped it to around $400+ and it was in the high $300 range (USD) for 'any' condition - I ended up doing used bricks plus subtracting what I already had on hand and it was about $300 for the bike shop.  A little more for the hospital because of all the masonry bricks but I really wanted them to all be new so it would shine.

And yes - the instructions were in PDF format.  I had them up on my ipad and sometimes on my laptop while building.

Here is a link to where they sell their instuctions - I have several other builds to catch up on but once i'm done with those, and ESPECIALLY if LEGO does not release a modular in January, I'll circle back and do at least one more from Brickative if not 2.  I really REALLY like their "Victor's Lab" build.

http://brickative.shoplo.com/category/modulars

It's great to know the price estimate, since buying the instructions doesn't tell you that. The models do look brilliant though, they're nicely detailed and of high quality.

It sounds like an interesting adventure, but it's good to know it will cost several times more than an official Modular. Many thanks for your very thorough reply! :wink: