As modeled after previous years' discussion topics, share and discuss your thoughts on this year's best and worst offerings from The Lego Group, as according to the below posted criteria:

• Best Theme:
  • Best Minifigure/Figure:
  • Best Set:
  • Worst Theme:
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure:
  • Worst Set:
  • Most Anticipated for 2019:

If you'd like to discuss the best and worst of recent years past, here are each of their respective discussion topics:

OK, I'll start.

Best theme: creator expert 

Best minifig: not informed enough

Best Set: 42083 Bugatti Chiron, Honourable mentions to 21315 pop-up book, 42078 Mack Anthem, 10261 roller coaster

Worst theme: Nexo knights

Worst minifig: not informed enough

Worst set: everything Nexo Knights

Most anticipated: next creator expert sets or Technic 2h 2019!

• Best Theme: TLNM, despite opinions on the film itself I stand by the fact that it's mix of price to piece ratio, colour and creative builds make it my favourite theme this side of the 2010s, even with only one set this year!
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: I rather liked the re-release of the 1978 policeman 
  • Best Set: Ninjago city docks
  • Worst Theme: I don't know, superheroes? I never liked those sets, they're usually just a medium sized car or helicopter with a couple figures
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: N/A
  • Worst Set: I don't know, maybe 76098?
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: Everything spacey in TLM2
Edited by Renny The Spaceman

• Best Theme: Creator Expert
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: The log disguise guy in Mountain Police Headquarters, honorable mention to the bellhop in Capital City
  • Best Set: Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown
  • Worst Theme: DC Superheroes
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: cannot think of a standout here
  • Worst Set: Star Wars Advent Calendar
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: as of 25 Nov, the unnamed modular for 2019

It seems another fun year is coming sooner to the end then anticipated.

Best Theme: Wizarding World - This theme managed to create some excellently built sets from many different prices. Not only that but it also had an incredible CMF series and not a dull set in sight. 

2nd: Marvel Superheroes

3rd: Ideas

4th: Jurassic

Worst Theme: DC Superheroes - I'm really only including themes I care about (Technic would win in a landslide if not). So I have to put DC here for a very lackluster year. Only set I actually really like is the Brothers Eye Showdown. Rest are meh. 

2nd: Nexo Knights (lack of great final wave) 

3rd: Ninjago

Best Minifigure: Albus Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) - Both Dumbledore's this year were great, but I think this one would have to be my favorite. He is an accurate looking minifigure, who is also very colorful. Also he introduces some very unique pieces that we can hope to see used more in the future.

2nd: Harumi (The Quiet One)

3rd: Old Luke Skywalker

Worst Minifigure: Gellert Grindelwald - The Wizarding World theme has given us some amazing minifigures. So it's shocking to me that one of the main vilians of the theme is one of the most inaccurate minifigures in a long time. His hair is very, VERY outdated. Why on Earth did they choose they hairpiece? Also where did his beard go? That's something I just noticed and utterly confused by. Very bad figure.

2nd: Wasp (Hope Van Dyne) 

3rd: Edna Mode

Best Set: 75222 Betrayal At Cloud City - I know lots of people dislike this set but I think it's fantastic. It's a set I have wanted for years now so to actually have it is awesome. I don't think it was easy trying to blend all the scenes from the iconic movie but I think they did a marvelous job. For me it's like the ultimate playset, it's big has tons of rooms and can basically let you play around forever. I don't think it's perfect but I do like it well enough. 

Now for basically the rest of my top 10. 

2nd: 10260 Downtown Dinner

3rd: 10261 Roller Coaster

4th: 70657 Ninjago City Docks

5th: 75954 Hogwarts Great Hall

6th: 76108 Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown

7th: 71043 Hogwarts Castle

8th: 21315 Pop-Up Book

9th: 10262 James Bond Aston Martin DB5

10th: 10263 Winter Village Fire Station

Worst Set: 75230 Porg - A bunch of stupid toy products get exactly what they wanted. A big stupid toy product. 

2nd: 75201 First Order AT-ST 

3rd: 70639 Street Race of Snake Jaguar

4th: 21147 The Bedrock Adventures

Most Anticipated Of 2019: The Lego Movie 2 - We have already had some great sets so far and I am exited to get my hands on them. Also really exited for the 2nd wave (as that was my favorite wave from the first TLM), and D2C. 

2nd: Wizarding World

3rd: Modular

4th Star Wars UCS

Overall: I thought this year was a great year for Lego. Wizarding World was awesome. Jurassic World had great sets dispite the source material. Star Wars was overall really impressive. I feel this year had more great sets then other year's lately. On the other hand this year had no Ninjago City for me so I would say overall it may have been equal to 2017. 

Here's to the last year of the decade which will hopefully end Lego's best decade ever with a bang.

Best Theme: Creator Expert

Best Minifigure/Figure: Party Clown Guy from the CMF Series 18.

Best Set: Downtown Diner, honorable mention to the Pop-Up Book and to Ninjago City Docks.

Worst Theme: I don't know enough themes to tell this.

Worst Minifigure/Figure: I don't know enough minifigs from 2018 to tell this.

Worst Set: All the sets with unreasonable prices.

Most Anticipated for 2019: The new modular! Runner up Benny’s Space Squad.

Edited by LegoModularFan
Post edited as TLM2 sets (and minifigs) were going to be released in 2019.

For me, while I can definitely single out my favorites for this year, it's hard for me to judge this year's worst offerings, as my opinions would most likely be unwarrantedly subjective. So with that said...

• Best Theme: A tie between LEGO Ideas and Creator (Expert and otherwise).
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: A tie between TLBM Series 2's Jor-El and General Zod.
  • Best Set: Creator Expert's 10260 Downtown Diner
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: Anything The Lego Movie 2 will offer, Disney's CMS Series 2, and Series 19.

Just now, LegoModularFan said:

Best Minifigure/Figure: The yellow spaceman coming in Benny's Space Squad set. 

Wait TLM2 sets count as 2018? I've changed my list

Best Theme: 70841 Benny's space squad 

Best Minifigure/Figure: 70841 Benny's space squad 

Best Set: 70841 Benny's space squad 

Worst Theme: Everything but 70841 Benny's space squad 

Worst Minifigure/Figure:Everything but 70841 Benny's space squad 

Worst Set:Everything but 70841 Benny's space squad 

Most Anticipated for 2019: Nothing, it's all downhill after 70841 Benny's space squad 

Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

Wait TLM2 sets count as 2018? I've changed my list

:grin: I don't know, I didn't think that way... 

2 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Wait TLM2 sets count as 2018? 

No, I do believe they are slated for a January 2019 release date. 

3 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Most Anticipated for 2019: Nothing, it's all downhill after 70841 Benny's space squad 

Can you really be sure of that though? :wink:

Best Theme: Ideas? *huh*

Best Minifigure: Elephant Girl

Best Set: Popup Book

Worst Theme: Minecraft

Worst Minifigure: Series 18 1978 Police (runner up Percival Graves)

Worst Set: Steve and Creeper

Most Anticipated 2019: Modular/Lego Movie 2

Best Theme: Creator Expert (Downtown Diner, Rollercoaster, Winter Village Fire Station)

Best Minifigure: Series 18 Dragon Suit Guy

Best Set: Pop-Up Book

Worst Theme: DC Superheroes

Worst Minifigure: Don't know

Worst Set: Betrayal at Cloud City

Most Anticipated 2019: Benny's Space Squad, the new Modular, and hopefully a Castle theme next summer!

Best Theme: Elves it needs some love since it is basically over. :cry_sad: 

Best Minifigure(s): Dragon Suit Guy, Cactus Girl and Flower Pot Girl 

Best Set: I am going with one I own "Naida & The Water Turtle Ambush". 

Worst Theme: It is probably Brickheadz for myself. 

Worst Minifigure: For me it would be R3-T2 from the "Tatooine Battle Pack". It is just a red Astro Droid. It could of been another Jawa or Tusken Raider. :shrug_confused:

Worst Set: This is hard to say but I am going one I own Twinfector (72002). I think the big wheels make it look like a mess. 

Most Anticipated: I think it would be TLM2 "Classic Space Battle Pack". 

Best theme: Ninjago, runner-up Star Wars.  The Hunted subtheme has a memorable design language and great dragons, and the Sons of Garmadon subtheme has a splendid Temple of Resurrection.  Both waves show Ninjago's unique ability to reinvent itself with each wave without losing its identity.  Star Wars is thematically boring in 2018, mostly remakes of one kind or another, but the sets themselves are really solid: the new X-wing, Jedi Starfighter, Tie Fighter, UCS Y-wing, the Resistance Ski Speeder ... There are a few clunkers, but the line as a whole was well curated and well designed this year.

Best minifigs: No comment, I don't pay much attention to minifigs.

Best set: UCS Y-wing.  It's incredibly well detailed and well proportioned, and it's more swooshable than many sets a fraction of its size.

Worst theme:. DC Super Heroes.  Maybe minifig collectors like these sets, but they just look like ugly shapeless messes to me.

Worst minifig: No comment, I don't pay much attention to minifigs.

Most anticipated: The TLM2 classic space battle pack is pretty cool, but I'll actually have to say the 4+ X-wing.  It looks so much like the makeshift X-wings I tried to build when I was 6 that I can't pass it up!

Here are my thoughts

• Best Theme: Star Wars
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: New X wing pilot
  • Best Set: 75218 X wing
  • Worst Theme: DC superheroes
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: No comment
  • Worst Set: First order AT ST
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: Star Wars Clone wars wave
Edited by JarJarBonks

• Best Theme: Ninjago I think. Both Sons of Garmadon and Dragon Hunters had genres rarely seen in LEGO. Very refreshing. 
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: Dragon Suit Guy. Professor Trelawney is a close second
  • Best Set: Hogwarts Castle  
  • Worst Theme: Minecraft
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: Edna Mode
  • Worst Set: James Bond car
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: The LEGO Movie 2 and CMF Series 19!
Edited by Robert8

Best Theme: Harry Potter (though I'm personally not a Potter-Head)

Best Minifigure/Figure: don't care for minifigs

Best Set: Statue of Liberty (despite its flaws)

Worst Theme: every theme has had its stinkers this year, but likely Technic takes the crown

Worst Minifigure/Figure: see above

Worst Set: Technic Forest Harvester

Most Anticipated for 2019: The LEGO Movie 2 Pop-Up Party Van (so far)

Mylenium

I don't care for minifigs so I skip those.

• Best Theme: Creator. It's what I still consider Lego's core theme. If TLC had to pick just one theme, I think it should be this.
  • Best Set: I'd say the Roller Coaster is a set we all silently wanted at some point in time, and now we have one.
  • Worst Theme: Minecraft. I think all sets in this line look ugly.
  • Worst Set: Well, not the set itself, but the bloated hype around the Bugatti disturbed me. Also, I think this whole supercars thing is hurting the essence of Technic.
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: I'm always looking out for the next Creator Expert car set, but last 2 sets have been disappointing, so let's hope for a nice followup to the Mini and Beetle.

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

No, I do believe they are slated for a January 2019 release date. 

I don’t intend to spam this thread but wanted to let you know that I edited my post accordingly. :classic:

13 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I guess not! With this new leak of an Obviously real set!

If this is a leak, I recommend you to remove it as it may cause some problems...

6 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Best Theme: Elves it needs some love since it is basically over. :cry_sad: 

Too bad, it was the theme where the most Art Nouveauish pieces came from... 

Edited by LegoModularFan

• Best Theme: Wizarding World (Harry Potter) - all sets are nice and prices are not bad
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: Pink Classic spaceman
  • Best Set: 10261 Rollecoaster
  • Worst Theme: Star Wars
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: Ninjago movie minifigs
  • Worst Set: Darth Vader Castle
  • Most Anticipated for 2019: UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

6 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

If this is a leak, I recommend you to remove it as it may cause some problems...

Oh don't worry, it's a joke. It's 70841 but with the figures have been coloured red in MS paint.

6 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Too bad, it was the theme where the most Art Nouveauish pieces came from... 

In terms of color there was some interesting and unique stuff there, no doubt. On the other hand I'm pretty sure not many will miss it. It's always been more of an acquired taste than something people could instinctively relate to and funny enough the shrill colors are also part of the reasons for its demise...

Mylenium

Best theme: LEGO Elves

Once again it's the only theme my brother and I have felt compelled to collect in its entirety. Even without a new season of the Netflix series "Secrets of Elvendale", it did a brilliant job selling the idea of a "final battle" wave by giving each of the elves their own armor, magical weapons, and elemental creatures and creating a remarkably fearsome new villain faction. It also introduced the ancient shapeshifting elves Noctura the Shadow Witch and Lumia the Guardian of Light, explained the source of Elvendale's magic, introduced the idea of an evolutionary connection between humans and elves, tied together and explored in greater detail some of the more mysterious elements of previous story arcs like the Shadow World and Shadow Fountain, and revealed new powers of Emily Jones and her amulet.

The sets continued to meet the incredibly high standards of detail, complexity, and playability established in previous waves, culminating in the brilliant Elvenstar Tree. While it's regrettable that the theme seems to be coming to an end, it's had an incredible run and I hope to continue creating my own LEGO Elves MOCs and stories in the future!

Best figure: Zia Rodriguez

Cute Latina lesbian dino enthusiast in colorful, detailed clothes? Awesome! Mind you, my feelings about Jurassic World range from indifference to outright disdain, because I've heard way more bad stuff about it than good stuff (same with Fantastic Beasts). But for me it was mostly a tough choice between Zia, Noctura, and Princess Harumi, and there's something about Zia's design — maybe her clothes looking the most "real" or like something I might wear, despite not being plain or boring — that stands out most among those three. It's not too hard to pile all kinds of elaborate detail on a fantasy princess or witch costume, but it's a lot more impressive to do that on what still feels like a real, modern-day, casually-dressed person.

Best set: 70653 Firstbourne

I've been a sucker for dragons since some of my earliest years as a KFOL, and Firstbourne is a strong contender for best LEGO Ninjago dragon ever. Firstbourne herself, the "mother of all dragons", combines a lot of the best characteristics of all previous LEGO Ninjago dragons: a swooshable design, streamlined yet highly textured and detailed construction, foldable wings, realistic wing membranes, a flapping wing function, an energetic yet coherent color scheme, a brick-built face with posable jaw, detailed printed eyes, a massive size, a swinging tail, and posable claws, ankles, wrists, hips, and shoulders. The only major Ninjago dragon play feature she lacks is any kind of shooters to represent an elemental breath attack. She and Stormbringer (which I have yet to obtain) are also the first LEGO Ninjago dragons designed with fully detachable saddles.

Additionally, the set contains one of the delightfully post-apoc styled Dragon Hunter vehicles (humorously carrying a roast turkey on a Vengestone chain as bait) and a nifty desert shrine that both helps set the scene and provides a staging area for the Dragon Helmet and Dragon Shield. As minifigures go, it's got two ninja in the clever new battle damaged versions of their colorful, elaborate Sons of Garmadon costumes, and a great selection of dragon hunters: mumbling footsoldier Muzzle, hilariously banged-up dragon keeper Chew Toy, and adorable wasteland lesbians Jet Jack and Heavy Metal. So much to love, and there's a reason that even within an outstanding wave of summer Ninjago sets this was my most anticipated by far!

Worst theme/figure/set: Can't really single any out.

While I am profoundly disinterested in and cynical about Jurassic World and Fantastic Beasts, it's not for any lack of quality among the LEGO sets, figures, or themes. Honestly, even with Harry Potter, my intense childhood passion for the books and movies has waned considerably due to becoming more aware of J.K. Rowling's flagrant transphobia and poor handling of diversity and other topics even in the original books. But the latest wave of LEGO Harry Potter sets make me feel more nostalgic for that series than anything else Harry Potter/Wizarding World related has in many years.

Most anticipated theme of 2019: Ninjago

With how outstanding The LEGO Movie 2 and its sets look in terms of earnestly bringing more girly elements and messages about maturity and gender roles into the LEGO cinematic universe, you'd expect Ninjago to have a hard time measuring up. And I'll admit, when I first heard the rumored set names, I was about as apprehensive as I was excited. How would they make new Spinjitzu spinner sets feel fresh again after just one year? How likely were they to make new versions of the Blade Cycle and Storm Fighter that measure up to the originals from 2012, when my enthusiasm for basically all ninja planes and bikes since then has been undercut by the sense that they're not as visually or functionally impressive as those early examples?

But the pictures that eventually emerged laid pretty much all my fears to rest. Not only do the 2019 Ninjago: Legacy sets scratch my nostalgic itch for those early seasons and waves of sets that started it all, they arguably improve on previous set depictions of stuff like the Storm Fighter, Blade Fighter Snowmobile, and Monastery of Spinjitzu. The Samurai Mech and Golden Dragon are a bit less impressive due to their reduced size, but are still consistent with modern design standards and would stand out as great sets and great interpretations of their subject matter from the TV show if not compared directly with earlier sets at much higher price points. And this is all without having even seen the new Ultra Dragon set, a subject I've been hoping LEGO would revisit since they first demonstrated in 2015 and 2016 how well they could improve upon some of the standout 2012 sets like the Destiny's Bounty and Ultra Sonic Raider.

As for the spinners? Not only do they return to the earlier emphasis on physical customization that had been sacrificed for the more outdoor stunt oriented designs of the Airjitzu/Spinjitzu Masters/Dragon Masters style of spinners and fliers, they also are the most show/story accurate interpretation of Spinjitzu, best described as a technique where the user moves fast enough to whip up a tornado of energy around them. And of course, indications so far are that the Ninjago story itself is also going to be stepping things up, with around six hours of animated content planned, including a four-episode special event/TV movie bringing the show to a 100 episode milestone. So much to look forward to!

Most anticipated figure of 2019: General Sweet Mayhem

She's pretty! She's sparkly! She kicks butt! She has mysterious motives! And she's the kind of girly sci-fi heroine I've been wanting to see in LEGO for some time. As is typical for LEGO movie characters, she will also have a varied range of facial expressions, and while it won't be reflected by the minifigures as they will surely be cataloged on BrickLink/Brickset, LEGO was thoughtful enough to make sure each set includes both her cool space helmet with heart-shaped visor and her cute, sparkly blue pigtails. I expect her role in The LEGO Movie 2 to be VERY interesting.

Most anticipated set of 2019: 70828 Pop-Up Party Bus

More gorgeous streamlined sci-fi that doesn't shy away from a feminine-coded sense of fun and beauty. This set introduces an exciting new color, Vibrant Coral, that helps alleviate the dearth of reddish-orange colors that exist in enough shapes to be genuinely useful. I hope to see much more of that in the future! It also introduces some excellent new gear-plates that make it easier to control a spinning turntable without working having to conceal a bulkier Technic mechanism underneath the floor.

The model itself is a great value in terms of parts (including loads of recolors and a light brick), as well as a very advanced build that brilliantly and elegantly converts from enclosed bus/starship to dance floor, DJ booth, disco ball, and karaoke stage. The diverse, futuristic, expressive, brightly dressed new mini-doll characters, cartoony brick-built driver, and rounded star motifs have strong Steven Universe vibes, and it even includes a new Unikitty design in hilarious platform heels! Definitely a must-buy!

14 minutes ago, Mylenium said:

In terms of color there was some interesting and unique stuff there, no doubt. On the other hand I'm pretty sure not many will miss it. It's always been more of an acquired taste than something people could instinctively relate to and funny enough the shrill colors are also part of the reasons for its demise...

Mylenium

I think it's pretty unfair to assume that the Elves theme's colors contributed to its demise, considering it lasted a solid four years (longer than most "Big bang" themes AND most castle themes). It seems more likely that it organically ran its course, as the majority of themes do by that point in their lifespans. For all we know, the Elves theme may have even surpassed its sales targets much like other themes that AFOLs assume failed like Legends of Chima and Nexo Knights, or been extended beyond its originally anticipated timeframe like Ninjago was.

Would Elves have appealed more to AFOLs if it had more boring, muted colors? Probably, considering that the AFOL community is both extremely male-dominated and extremely insecure about liking things with a sense of kid-targeted fun and whimsy (or admitting to the presence of such in the stuff they do claim to like), regardless of their caliber of design and storytelling. Of course, I can just as easily imagine AFOLs ignoring the theme anyhow because it had mini-dolls.

Would more subdued colors have made the Elves theme sell better or last longer, though? I see no reason to think that, not when so many supposedly better themes according to the AFOL community have performed decidedly worse than Elves did. Plus, it would almost certainly have undermined the theme's original purpose: expanding the variety of themes that appeal to girls ages 7 and up, who more traditional and masculine-coded themes had failed to reach anywhere near as reliably.

Just now, Aanchir said:

I think it's pretty unfair to assume that the Elves theme's colors contributed to its demise... *snippeted for brevity, read original post*

Once more I have to disagree with you. Four years isn't really that much, especially when you consider how few sets actually came out and how small a lot of them were. I'd also like to note that as an openly gay man and someone who regularly buys Friends sets and such I object to any statements about male predominance in the AFOL scene and possible sterotypes associated with that (as in "It's not a shirt if it isn't plaid"). Perhaps we should avoid making such observations, okay?

As for the colors - I think it is quite an issue and in my view it doesn't even have much to do with whether your brain ticks like a child or not. To me it's more a case of having a certain artistic background and education. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad design out there and people are bombarded with it, so in the end it may never occur to them to explore other color combinations even in the LEGO world. If you get my drift - to me a disharmonious contrast might be ingenious because I've been doing painting, sculpting and computer graphics all my life and can appreciate the intention behind it, but to other minds it will be just whacky and appear off-putting.

Hence I think it is a notable contributing factor not just for Elves. On that subject it also stands to note that LEGO tend to make this even worse by locking themselves into specific color palettes for some series or sets at least and by overusing those palettes they eventuall wear out the novelty and uniqueness. You know, I really like Dark Blue, but it having been used so excessively in Elves and Nexo Knights sets perhaps hasn't helped its popularity. I'm pretty sure similar conclusions can be drawn in many ways if one were to do a detailed analysis.

That said, there are of course other, more prevalent factors. I for instance always thought that Elves could have served as a nice canvas/ umbrella for a generic fantasy theme, but LEGO kinda missed out on that by making it too specific for a certain (female-oriented) crowd and at some point it ended up just being a dragon zoo when they had navigated themselves into a corner and ran out of ideas. There was no need to make it about a specific story to begin with and then of course the old thing with named characters limiting your storytelling and how people relate to them plus a ton of other things. I don't know much about Nexo, but I'd assume it suffered similar problems.

In the end, I tend to think that in particular Elves didn't even reach the target demographic you claim it was made for. At the risk of reopening old wounds - many times it seemed to me I was the only one buying those boxes, not little girls. So perhaps this is indeed a case of where LEGO need to learn this lesson the hard way and stay away from those specific series and instead integrate more female-oriented stuff in other, more generic product lines? Just a thought, of course, but it would render such discussions moot and perhaps be even better for business? I'm strongly leaning towards the latter here...

Mylenium