Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR aMRCA] A Diplomatic mission

I am enjoying these latest builds and the storyline is getting rather interesting. The atmosphere in the warehouse scenes is nice and foreboding and that bridge hideout really illustrates the tense situation well. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

grabs looted popcorn sitting on his toilet paper throne

Dude. You, like, totally gotta build this, mannnnnn... :grin:

How, exactly, does a minifig even use TP? I mean, it ain't exactly anatomically minifigatomically possible...

27 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:
Spoiler

How, exactly, does a minifig even use TP? I mean, it ain't exactly anatomically minifigatomically possible...

Don't be such a killjoy !

@pombe    is never there when we need him ! :grin:

23 hours ago, Bregir said:

Cooke has found himself caught in Nola Mar and decided to yield himself up to the authorities.

Nice. Well now, accidents happen when jailed... (gangrene from beating limbs, malnutrition, stabbing when snoring while inmates want to sleep... that kind of stuff) :devil_laugh:

Edited by blackdeathgr

Outside Nola Mar, the Corlander frigate HMS Greyhound rounded the cape and hove to, the seaward guns going off in a salute. After raising a white flag of parley, the frigate's launch was pulled closer, that too bearing a white flag. Just within the range of the shore batteries, the boat waited for a moment, and upon concluding that no fire was being opened, long, rhythmic pulls on the oars brought it to the docks.

"Boat your oars... Hook on" a midshipman commanded and the boat glided gently in along the quay. Swiftly, a marine sergeant and 4 privates climbed the qauy and took position as honour guard with rhythmic stomp of boots and muskets, and a naval lieutenant stood in front of them, clearing his throat.

49960330213_8962708e6f_c.jpg

"To the authorities of Nola Mar" he bellowed in a controlled but powerful voice accustomed to competing with a gale at sea.

"Recently, Captain Sir Jonathan Cooke of Her Majesty's Frigate Greyhound took boat to Nola Mar to inquire of the authorities the state of the settlement in preparation of a survey of the harbour facilities of Terraversan settlements, conducted in support of grand Admiral L'Olius in Westface." He paused for a moment to see if any 'authorities' should present themselves up front.

"However, since then, we have had no word of the Captain, or his whereabouts, and have been forced to consider the risk of a misunderstanding, or even foul play." Looking around at the now attentive crowd, he continued: "Captain Cooke is a hero of many battles, including the recent almost complete decimation of the vile pirate LeColeon, who has until his defeat been terrorising Terraversan trade. Further, he is a Knight of the Most Noble Order of Victory, and, most importantly, an officer in Her Majesty's service, and as such, his well-being is of the utmost importance to Corrington."

"Thus, should anyone in Nola Mar or elsewhere be able to offer reliable information, or be able to bring about the restoration of the Captain, a bounty of 100 dbs will be offered." The officer looked around the crowd for signs of interest. "It is our hope that the authorities of Nola Mar can swiftly assist in returning Captain Cooke, whose disappearance is most troubling."

"HOWEVER, upon his own orders, until such a time that he is restored to his ship, or orders are given to the contrary by Captain Cooke or a ranking officer, the HMS Greyhound and its consorts will inspect all shipping going in and out of Nola Mar for any signs of Captain Cooke." A stunned silence spread in the crowd, and more than a few concerned frowns showed in the shadows.

"Her Majesty's representatives ensures all citizens and authorities that no harm will be done to vessels or crew accepting inspection, and we shall make every effort possible to keep the delay at a minimum. The necessity of such action is regrettable, but Grand Admiral L'Olius has agreed the Royal Navy taking the necessary steps to recover its officer."

For few minutes, the Corlander delegation just stood there, waiting to be approached by any interested parties.

49961110592_43d5ef3203_c.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

OOC: We cannot actually inspect vessels going to and from Nola Mar in the tMRCA, but will sail a fleet out as *if* it was indeed 'blockading' Nola Mar. IC, I hope we can agree to play along, though. :pir-classic:

On a particularly hot evening, Ricketts clambered into HMS Greyhound's launch; the waters were calm and the soft glow of the moon sparkled along mild crests of the waves. Even without the usual compliment of marines, he still found himself rather impaired on map space, much to the annoyance of the sailors. This was the least of his concerns, however. Aside from the immense responsibility of locating one of Her Majesty's most trusted officers, his attention was interrupted by the unpleasant regurgitation of last breakfast. Ricketts had a particular distaste for sea travel and therefore seldom stepped foot on vessels. This wasn't a problem in his previous line of work... "Sir, are you certain you go on without additional rations?" the midshipman asked. "By God Mr. Taylor, the last thing I wish to think about is rations!" 

As the shore steadily grew closer, there was a degree of apprehension among the occupants of the boat. Unsurprisingly, the approach to shore was a quiet one. The crew set a large crate on the shore as Ricketts stepped out on land once more. "Your piece sir", handing off to Ricketts a pistol. "And yours sir ", revealing the midshipman's firelock from his overcoat. Faint snickers emanated from the oarsmen, as the junior officer received his pistol. And with that, he was alone- the launch swiftly disappearing into the darkness of the sea. Adamant on getting off the beach and into a suitable place of safety, he carried along with his crate in one hand and firelock in the other. After all, Nola Mar was merely a half mile to the south.

Ricketts lands in Nola MarRicketts lands in Nola Mar

Nice piece of pistol, I like the transition between wet and dry sand, and I also wish a rebel patrol stumbles upon Mr. Ricketts in no minute.:pir_tong2:

Absolutely excellent story and very cool build, @Sir Kingston! I expect to have a little entry on my own ready very soon.

Interesting developments! :pir-wink:

Winning hearts and minds...

It was a hot day in Nola Mar, and Cooke had left the window open. Despite the heavy bars, at least the sea breeze could still pass through.
Startled he looked up from the log book in which he was recording everything he had seen and deduced, as a faint voice penetrated his thoughts.
Rising to his feet he went to the window, but saw no one, until he looked down at a wide-eyed boy staring him in the face. "Are you a thief?" he said
bravely in his thin voice, while his friend was tucking at his shirt, trying to caution him.

50113464256_081101a95e_c.jpg

Cooke beamed a friendly smile at the kids and kneeled down to pose a less terrifying spectacle for the boys. At least, they were someone to talk to.
"Now, why would you say such a thing, little one?" he asked amiably.

The formerly so careful friend burst out: "You are in prison! Mom says only crimernals goes t' prison, she does!" Both boys stepped back from the window,
scared how he may react.
"I am a sailor - the captain of a ship, if you would believe it"
Muttering to themselves for a bit, they boys retorted inquisitively: "Are you a smuggler, then? Or a PIRATE!" The prospect seemd both terrifying and
exciting for them.

"Not at all", he chuckled, "but I do know a thing or two about pirates..."
The boys stretched their necks to listen in anticipation.
"Have you heard about the dread pirate LeColeon?"
"LeColeon, scourge of the Terraversan Seas!" the boys spurted out in unison. "The bane of Grand Admiral L'Olius! Strikes like a shadow - takes your gold,
your wife, and your KIDS!"
Whispering, one of them added "some say he is even a killer!"

"Hah!" Cooke burst out in good-natured laughter "No more, little heroes, no more!"
And so he told the tale [link to KPA]
"...and that, my friends, is how the Royal Navy blasted LeColeon out of the water!" he finished his tale. "Now, run off home - I have detained you for too long."
And so the boys ran off. Cooke caught the sound of them playing out the battle, both claiming the right to be the hero of the hour, the Royal Navy captain.
"Ok, ok - I will be the Captain of the Greyhound, and you can be the Captain of the Dilergence! BEAT TO QUARTERS!"

50113697542_fff8c6b3fc_c.jpg

The following day, as the school bells rang out, the boys returned to the window, begging for the story to be retold for their friends. To his surprise,
Cooke found a whole class of little girls and boys forming his audience, and he retold his tale with flourish, quite relishing acting out the events.

50113464191_a5082cc157_c.jpg

Over the following days, as the school bells tolled, Cooke found himself returning to the window for a larger and larger crowd. Initially, most of them were
kids, but already on the third day, some teenagers and a few parents had shown up. Soon, a whole crowd was was captivated by the dramatic tales
of the experienced sea captain.

Perhaps the rebels were quite taken aback by his sudden popular appeal - at least it seems like they have taken steps to remove Cooke from Nola Mar...

One also wonders whether Ricketts finds out about this... ( @Sir Kingston)

@Bregir Nice street scene! I noticed you've reproduced my version of Cooke's internment house, by expanding it and giving it an interior, nice job.:thumbup:

However, I can't refrain myself from pointing my finger at the absence of the guard(s), if they were there, they should be able to prevent such spectacle.

N'écoutez pas à la propagande ennemie!

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

However, I can't refrain myself from pointing my finger at the absence of the guard(s), if they were there, they should be able to prevent such spectacle. 

I am thinking the guard would not have noticed Cooke speaking to the little boys, but as the crowd grew over the coming days, he would be hard pressed to do anything without causing a row.

In any case, Cooke is now taken towards King's port, so the problem has gone, so to speak. You can of course show the crowd being dispersed, but I am not quite certain how they would react to that.

10 hours ago, Bregir said:

You can of course show the crowd being dispersed, but I am not quite certain how they would react to that.

That would be over-reacting, dispersing a handful of boys listening to the tales of an old sailor. Anyway, Cooke is Oldis's problem now.:pir-tongue:

Guardian Angel

The past few days in Nola Mar were far from bright, and evidence of the incessant showers had muddied the city's streets. Ricketts knew that Cooke could be in any alleyway, wagon, prison, or mound of dirt; and there was little he do about that. However, with every day, it was increasingly more obvious that something was amiss. Be it the armed columns in the streets, or the distinct lack of proofing marks on the lockplates of their arms. Something had rocked the boat in this town, and Ricketts was going to find out...

Guardian Angel

After sleeping off a bit of rum, Ricketts descended from his loft, and stepped into the kitchen. He wasn't much in the mood for preparing food and instead opted for some evening tea. He figured that a small meal from the local pub and some catching up on the local rumours would be in order anyways. After taking his freshly dried stocking off the mantle of the fireplace, he proceeded to buckle his well-worn shoes. Once more, he stepped out from the doorway, latching the door behind him. The jolly laughter from the street's nightlife was already in full swing. He walked towards the main avenue, the hobnails of his shoes joining the chorus of the foot traffic. Surprisingly, he found Mr. Johnstone (the logistical officer dispatched ahead of Ricketts' arrival who had established the safehouse), briskly approaching him, umbrella not far behind. "Aye, you'd best hear this, we're already hours behind."

Guardian Angel

"Let's hear it then", replied Ricketts. "As I was entering the market, all the talk was about a foreign spy or an officer dressed in the red of Corrington, who had just left the prison at gunpoint by local militia. I also heard that he was to meet Archduke Oldis in King's Port!"

"Do we know for certain this is Cooke, Mr. Johnstone?

"Indeed, I was similarly skeptical and went after the crowd. I saw him, it was most certainly him."

Looking ever more exasperated by the minute, Ricketts cursed and furrowed his brow, "This... This is diplomatic nightmare.."

Johnstone shared his frustration, "I agree, this is a most undesirable situation." 

"Now that we know where Cooke is, we must act quickly- while we still can. They've forced our hand, but not without revealing their cards. You will go to shore party at the docks in the cover of darkness and deliver my message to the lieutenant."

"And you? Command may not authorize the risk of destabilizing the situation further..."

"I'll be in King's Port by then, I don't know who or what is causing this internal shatterbelt, but Cooke is under lock and key somewhere. I was sent to locate and protect him, and we've allowed this go on for far too long." 

To Whom it May Concern,

Cooke is on the move, at gunpoint of local forces. Clear signs of foreign military influence, unsure of national origin. I will travel to King's Port, where it is said that he will meet with Archduke Oldis. If possible, immediate diplomatic pressure recommended, I do not yet know if an escape attempt is achievable, and I cannot assure Cooke's safety in the hands of the Terraversians.

-Ricketts

Guardian Angel

"You were tasked as his guardian angel then?" Johnstone mused.

"Precisely"

Spoiler

Full Build:

Ricketts in Nola Mar, Overall Build