next model incoming:

usP4ZH.jpg  QyLTwV.jpg

Actually just a empty box .

The only working stuffs are the track motorization, and main lifting of the arm.

bottom view. I choose to locate the motors the nearest as possible of the correspondent function in order to optimize the performances:

BAmCuI.jpg

The basic idea is to get a compact, very responsive excavator. The zero radius rotation is a must have and it is designed to fit a larger model at the end (as I does with my tow truck).

Here is the idea:

QxgIxN.jpg

S.

Edited by steph77

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

next model incoming:

Looks promising. Waiting anxiously for it.

1 hour ago, iLego said:

Looks promising. Waiting anxiously for it. 

Thanks !

I commanded just now one proper bucket and @efferman angle panel for the back of my crane. This was done on Shapeways and parts will arrive around 31 of this month.

I now have to compact it by two studs in width and manage one solution for the crane's rotation.

I get with some hard craking gears when rotating by one side and not to the other so i will try to place two opposite driving gear on each side of the turntable to balance the effort on it.

Stay tuned...

Just one question (as usual); would be better to arrange l-motors like on 42095 set. I think less gears meaning more smooth drive...

14 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Just one question (as usual); would be better to arrange l-motors like on 42095 set. I think less gears meaning more smooth drive...

@I_IgorI build one excavator not a stunt racer :wink:

The gears are necessary to lower the speed and gain in torque. This setup allows to keep a cleaner design too so I think its right like it is.

But I have another problem. I complete the arm yesterday by adding in the inside of it the two missing motors. The arm is quiet heavy now but it is ok for the motors to move it smoothly.

My issue is that I do not have enough counter weight. As I tried to replicate a zero radius crane I don't have that much weight on the rear. I completely redesigned the electrical setup inside to get the BB on the rear but even like this the rotation mechanism struggle to rotate the superstructure. 

@ those who already build this kind of crane : any idea? I think at the counterweight used in the boats in the 90' but maybe you'll have another idea?

I assume that you think to make my JCB motorized it is better to use one big motor like  42030 set rather that using 2 motors like 9398 set...

I only own one XL motor and it is down (loss of power after2-3 seconds running) no choice for me to use the large ones

21 minutes ago, steph77 said:

I only own one XL motor and it is down (loss of power after2-3 seconds running) no choice for me to use the large ones

I have 5 l-motors and one xl... And several motors and one Servo ... Xl uses lot is space and with l-motor  axle is s bit to tall...and I want to implement fake engine...

The excavators top half needs to have the turntable less centered and more to the front. That's how real excavators have it. The point is to have the weight of the excavator top half to be more at the back so when you extend the arm the whole way, the excavator won't tip. 

Take 02

A big work has been done on this project. As the previous pictures show somehow one incomplete and very first attempt, here is something more final.

I managed to pack in the 6 RC functions, I solved the balance problem by taking back the whole arm by 5 studs, and I redesigned the whole rest of the model just because this movement back of the arm ...how can I say, just put the ______ in the model.

Now, everything works smoothly, no cracking, no torsion, no parasite effect. I got it, at least.

I 'll now can work of the design. As usual I choose the Volvo Brand, as I've a lot of badged material, and I think i'll go for some modern design of that thing.

I am awaiting for my bucket actually, but I'll continue the job. I feel this model will be a real success ones finished..

Some pictures:

Main view with the RC controller

7YbHVg.jpg

I made use of the MB Arocs buckets to form the curved rear, looks good to me...

IllrjO.jpg

Everything is carefully packed, no visible wires...

kC6UiW.jpg

and the other side:

L1WY6h.jpg

any comments are welcome ;)

Steph.

Edited by steph77

3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I'm afraid pictures run away...

they are back ;)

I canot place directly the links when writing the post at first attempt, I must absolutely post it and then edit it in order that the linked pictures appear. Don't know why.

Edited by steph77

19 minutes ago, steph77 said:

they are back ;)

I canot place directly the links when writing the post at first attempt, I must absolutely post it and then edit it in order that the linked pictures appear. Don't know why.

It looks great so far :thumbup:

I like the way you "sandwiched" receivers. Very interesting idea,perhaps I 'll steal it from you :devil:

(If I could only pack 6 motors in my Fastrac...) :hmpf_bad:

Similar thing (had to edit my post to add I ages) happens to me because I use (smart)phone and memory is more limited than on my PC...so I have to clean phone memory more often and specially look after "Download" folder to have just fee files inside it.

(Just hope to assemble my PC asap; 32GM ram + 0.5TB SSD m2, ryzen7 are here, just waiting for graphic card...)

Edited by I_Igor

Take 03

Working on the outside design. I'll try to keep a 'Community in design' with the tractor and the next to come trailer.

Not still 100% satisfied with the rear part:

JUqJyG.jpg

The two models are in good proportions and scales:

cU41eJ.jpg

Cab is coming out nicely: doors, detail, ladder integrated to Bottom structure, lamps, etc...

Rttq50.jpg

I have to find a way to move the messy medium motor on the second arm section:

ni7DdR.jpg

Any idea for the trailer's colorsheme?

I Don't want to go with orange anymore, i need some contrast i think.

Idea?

Steph.

Edited by steph77

Excavator looks really good, and I like the way you made cab; technic simple and sturdy.

Rear part looks ok to me; you know sometimes less is more. :wink:

Perhaps blue or green trailer would be good contrast...very often tractors have green trailers...

Edited by I_Igor

I love the way blue and orange go together, so blue is my vote.

Also, I love when I see the Paint Roller part show up in technic designs. Well done on the excavator door.

Edited by Thirdwigg

On 7/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I love the way blue and orange go together, so blue is my vote.

Also, I love when I see the Paint Roller part show up in technic designs. Well done on the excavator door.

Blue and orange can be cool like this

A_FST_4190_22-1024x623.jpg

Or trailer like this

23471.jpg

Edited by I_Igor
Autocorrect issue

Hi!

Today my new parts arrived from Shapeways so it was time to make a proper photo shooting of this thing.

I reworked again the main arm in order to fit the medium motor inside the first half of it. This results in a cleaner design of the front end of the arm.

I also finalized the design of the cab by adding small details like lights ramp, flat tile to smooth the edges etc...

Everything works smoothly and from this point of view is way better than my previous attempt :)

Pictures:

Front main view : the new bucket is a must have in your technic inventory

scOGIK.jpg

From a side view the work on the cab is more viewable

EBVTqY.jpg

Opposite side view. Massive design as it is supposed to be...

v9JPht.jpg

Rear view: simple design

6tKN0H.jpg

Zoom on the cab from ground view. Small size but quiet impressive. I am happy with the tracks design.

IaUHPP.jpg

Maximum arm extension. Largely higher than the cab. Not the best existing range but it works smoothly with this setup...

Ec5TWQ.jpg

And maximum front action range:

oKlyDY.jpg

Any comment or suggestions are welcome :)

Steph.

Edited by steph77

I can only comment one thing: excavator is really nice :wub:

Again great job. I was skeptical of the buckets for the rear of the superstructure, but it looks great and matches the design well.

I wasn't that satisfied with the tail... So new tail and end word on this project. Now going on holidays. Video will be done when back home.

ZyfXHc.jpg

15Wf7c.jpg

and a closer view:

S68nxU.jpg

Steph

Edited by steph77

I hate that You are so inspired! :tongue:

Awesome excavator, the rear is indeed much much better, only  thing, that I don't like how the small panel sticks out. Have You tried with orange 5L liftarm only, or with brick and tile built stripes (just like in the cab)?

I really love the arm solution, this is probably the design, I must "steal" for my wheeled excavator WIP project. I am sure You don't mind. :sweet: :thumbup:

4 hours ago, agrof said:

I hate that You are so inspired! :tongue:

Awesome excavator, the rear is indeed much much better, only  thing, that I don't like how the small panel sticks out. Have You tried with orange 5L liftarm only, or with brick and tile built stripes (just like in the cab)?

I really love the arm solution, this is probably the design, I must "steal" for my wheeled excavator WIP project. I am sure You don't mind. :sweet: :thumbup:

Your are right.

It doesn't pop up anymore...

wHLoFq.jpg

lAyVzb.jpg

Feel free to copy whatever you want for your own excavator.  Just ask if some more pictures are needed.

Steph

Edited by steph77