Sign in to follow this  
CSW652

train wheel question

Just wondering if it is possible to use the large train wheels (85489) with the train motor (88002) and if anyone has done so? 

Yeah, after seeing The Technic Gear guy's use of the PF train motor with the large driver wheels on the Toy Story train, I realized I could adapt this method to my 4-6-0 Wasteland Express locomotive as a way to power it as well (I'll have to increase the total length of the locomotive a bit, but that is probably going to be a good thing, since it will look even more like a beefy, steampunk, post-apocalyptic locomotive that way).

6 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

Yeah, after seeing The Technic Gear guy's use of the PF train motor with the large driver wheels on the Toy Story train, I realized I could adapt this method to my 4-6-0 Wasteland Express locomotive as a way to power it as well (I'll have to increase the total length of the locomotive a bit, but that is probably going to be a good thing, since it will look even more like a beefy, steampunk, post-apocalyptic locomotive that way).

I would like to see it very much! Especially since it seems to be quite unusual. :caroler:

Understand that putting the large wheels on the LEGO train motor is going to rob you of pulling power.  It's a viable option but only for small trains.

--Tony

11 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

Understand that putting the large wheels on the LEGO train motor is going to rob you of pulling power.  It's a viable option but only for small trains.

--Tony

That is part of what I was wondering, but it does seem possible though.  While I was thinking of how to power the Constitution train that I haven't built yet, I was thinking it would be neat to make a 4-4-0 like the Wanderer from the old Wild Wild West show.

Edited by CSW652

Is it possible to put the train motor in the center of the tender and then add a wheel on each end?  I assume the added wheels would have to swivel some.

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

Is it possible to put the train motor in the center of the tender and then add a wheel on each end?  I assume the added wheels would have to swivel some.

Yes. I believe that the common technique is to use some of the 2x3 plate with offset hole to allow the swivel. 

I have a 4-4-0 locomotive powered in this way. As @SavaTheAggie pointed out you will not have as much pulling power for really long trains but it sure will be super-fast! I would recommend putting some extra cars on to slow it down with the added weight or only running full speed through a curve of r88 or greater.