Buccaneero

[MOC] HMS Effortless 118-gun first rate ship of the line like victory

It truly is an amazing vessel and I'm very excited to see it with cloth sails.

I noticed that you updated the figure head, do you think we can get a closeup of that when you take more pictures? It'd also be neat to see how you made the cannons (I can't tell if that's a unique style or a standard one).

Lastly, do you plan at any point to add an interior? I noticed in one of your earlier pictures you added some hinge functions to the side to allow that.

Hi Neighborhood Merchant,

and thank you again for your kind words. Without trying to sound too humble, but I used the current figurehead just as a temporary solution. Actually, I quiet like it this way. I'll post you some pictures.

All praise to Teddy, a Eurobrick member, who designed these wonderful cannons! In my eyes these are the most realistic looking cannons you can build with LEGO bricks. There's a link to his post and I posted some of my own pictures as well.

Interior is indeed planned, although this won't be an easy project (again...) since the stern is already built. As you can see in the pictures, the side galleries are openable so my idea is to create an interior which you can take out fully (on flat plates). However, cloth sails first. I found a very nice fabric - an IKEA curtain :)

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/merete-2-gardinenschals-abdunk-gebleicht-weiss-90046843/

which has a very nice mixture of good colour, enough weight and general haptic/optic (and I found some used ones for 5 € from which I could equip a small fleet :))

48698764636_9d2ea53fdb_o_d.jpg

48698943402_2e5b3a078d_o_d.jpg

20190908_144511

48698763991_874306c267_o_d.jpg

48698427248_3a53ab576c_o_d.jpg

48698428153_23e3c33f8f_o_d.jpg

48698428358_63c6773206_o_d.jpg

48698765161_74303a5bb2_o_d.jpg

48698944232_3c07d7136c_o_d.jpg

48698765451_cf99d7f338_o_d.jpg

48698765616_9a3f6a3023_o_d.jpg

Hope you like the pictures!

Edited by Buccaneero

Thanks so much for the photos, they look great :grin_wub:! I personally really enjoy the look of the figurehead and I am interested to see how you change it. Teddy did a wonderful job, as the cannons look nothing short of excellent. 

I'm interested to hear how using IKEA curtains for your sails goes as I'm struggling to find the perfect material for a ship I'm designing right now.

As for the interior, if you worry about the quarters shaking around too much (use of just tiles), or having to apply too much pressure to uplift them (tiles with studs), then I think that using a brick with groves (2653) and a door rail (32028) would work perfectly for easily sliding it out for a build like yours.

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

Great suggestions for the interior! I'll keep it in mind.

And about the IKEA curtain idea - my wife is pretty sure that we have a spare curtain somewhere in a wardrobe... if she finds it, I am very curious myself and would love to start cutting asap.

49661521462_f75fb4cd65_o_d.jpg

49661241451_42c703378e_o_d.jpg

Finally, IKEA curtain sails mark 2.0 :)

Although this is supposed to be the "full sails version" of my MOC, the sails itself are far from being finished - I want to indicate some vertical lines to give them a more realistic look. Furthermore, the rigging isn't finished (at all...) and many sails still have to be connected to different parts (of the hull etc.).

So, still WIP... just wanted to post the first impression of the cloth-sails update

Wow, it's been a while...

To cut a longer process short:

I want/need to sell my HMS Effortless... If there is a possible buyer out there in the wild brick seas who is interested in ca. 12.000 LEGO parts, composing a British Ship-of-the-Line in its prime, let me know :)

May all of you stay healthy and happy!

Before you sell it, can you upload some more photos of the interior? Middle and front part of the ship?

And especially here.
This looks very interesting.

45114196285_518b567fea_c.jpg

Also, does your boys play with these ship?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Wow this thing is huge, great work!

Looks like a lot of work, is it empty inside like the cabin at the stern?

I dont know who wants to buy this monster because it is so big but I hope you will find a new captain for it, the work put into it is way to much to dismantle it.

Yeah :)

Actually it was a nice ironic name since it took so many reconstructions and starting from scratch that I found the name very fitting...

Here's an offer:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/164826854539

If I find some time, I can make some more pictures.

And yes, the stern/cabin is still empty... although I had many ideas...

And no, my boys build their own ships and bombard each other with them :)