Sign in to follow this  
Buccaneero

HMS Effortless 118-gun first rate ship of the line like victory WIP

Ahoy my fellow captains,

kind of a strange feeling to start this post, since I have been browsing this forum for more than a year now, admiring these countless pieces of art posted here. Actually, it's been my six-year-old son who constantly asked me to post our progress here - his father was a little shy and reluctant to do so, since he is never truly satisfied with his construction and still in awe regarding your astonishing models.

But, you know, "Arrrrghh", what the heck, no need to hide anymore, I've been utterly in love with LEGO since I got my first bricks and can still vividly remember sitting on my child room's floor next to my brother, listening to "ALF" cassettes and (re-)build our barracuda for the 100th time.. The first pictures show the results of my sons' and my christmas-constructing period of 2016. Ever since, we weren't really happy with its form and as we were blown away by the exellency of ships like the  "Le Fleuron" or the "Sang Royale" (and especially, of course, Cpt. Greenhair's unbelievably helpful ideas - THANK YOU, CAPTAIN!!), we wanted to do it differently this time.

The pictures after the "Barracuda" show the process of our current project with the (according to my most patient, wonderful and tolerant wife...) fitting title "HMS Effortless".

I think you know this feeling of always finding something to improve... lately, it's the positioning of the masts - the distance between the fore-mast and the mainmast seems to be too far.

Please let us know what you think and where you see room for further improvement - my son and I are happy about every feedback!

First the "old" Barracuda:

32154870178_bf83a15c20_c.jpg

46025662481_b461f95d43_c.jpg

46025665121_ab0b60de90_c.jpg

And this is supposed to be legendary HMS Victory's "secret" sister ship, the HMS Effortless:

31086916617_b8e4ed0fd1_c.jpg

45114198575_9c27efc174_c.jpg

31086915847_18ec71d537_c.jpg

31086917637_06fd70cb77_c.jpg

45114196985_b8d53b1fde_c.jpg

31086915207_7e52fb5ea5_c.jpg

45114196285_518b567fea_c.jpg

31086914867_6a6327a109_c.jpg

45114195545_5c5bd29e95_c.jpg

31086914247_a4d9124a03_c.jpg

(The balcony was my son's wish :wink:)

It's planned to give her full rigging, sails and of course the many missing details she deserves. it's always a question of time and money :hmpf:

Here are more pics from her construction so far as well as more of the Barracuda.

Edited by Buccaneero

What a great way to introduce yourself! Welcome to Eurobricks!

The ship looks awesome!

Such a remarkable difference between the designs! It's breathtaking. 

I also am a major fan of play-ability over historical perfection, so the fact that the sides hinge out really excites me. I hope you're planning on finishing this one.

Astounding.

MAC

Nice job, I never thought it was possible to build such a large ship with prefabs, you just proved me wrong. The openable side gallery is a clever feature, and it should certainly enhance playability. The distance between the main and foremast is good, if you aren't content with the current arrangement, I think you may consider to displace the mizzen mast further aft. 

Wahou, this is not a small part ! Very nice. What is its weight at this time ?

I hope you will come to post the next steps until the end of the MOC.