Hi,

A quick post on a commissioned model I did recently:

31084745847_1081b59738_b.jpg

The iconic Millennium Falcon. It is relatively light on features, with only a working top gun turret and a landing ramp. The gun turret is fully articulated (ie it can rotate freely to aim at anything above the spaceship).

45299494074_af6042aebc_c.jpg

I also made a small video showing the functions:

Finally, since this commission was non-exclusive I also made instructions (or actually @Ivan_M did that for me). They are available on my website (with small redesigns to replace the rarest parts and simplify the build).

Comments & questions are appreciated as always.

Leg godt,

Jeroen Ottens

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Bare bones technic, this is awesome and not too large.

I was just thinking today how LBG is my preferred non colour, colour. I may just get the instructions and build this.

great use of pieces too, but I’m a bit weirded out about that lip at the back. Not sure but looks too pokey out or something 

Otherwise  :thumbup:

Great bare bones Technic model. How does it compare size wise to the UCS Falcon? I do agree that the lip at the rear looks a bit odd.

This is exactly the direction I think Technic needs to go.  Not necessarily moving completely from their bread & butter (cars, construction equipment, etc.) but something in addition to everything we are used to. 
I did the UT-60D a year or so ago with functioning retractable wings and opening bay door:

10_small

and it was a blast.  Didn't get much attention but it was different than I was accustomed to with official sets and even others MOCs.  In your model I do like the looks and I think the size is spot on.  I wish there were just a few more functions though.  Landing gear would have been awesome.  At a slightly larger scale I think pneumatic landing gear would be totally possible.  In one of my first projects back from my Dark Ages I bought 7965 x2, increased the dimensions, and added pneumatic landing gear to it.  Overall I think the project was a train wreck (I was new to the hobby) but the pneumatic landing gear totally worked.  Disappeared when retracted and supported a near 4,000 piece set (non-Technic) when deployed. 

Overall, great Technic rendition of a favorite.  I actually think a set like this would open some doors to others currently not into Technic..... 

Jake & George think this is very, very cool and I see no reason to disagree but as good as this is, and I think it’s teriffic, I have to say I like your cars more and look forward to seeing your next project :classic:

15 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

This is exactly the direction I think Technic needs to go.  Not necessarily moving completely from their bread & butter (cars, construction equipment, etc.) but something in addition to everything we are used to. 

You should have a look at the Bionicle set Axalara T9. I've built it and it's pretty cool, but there's lots of repetetive steps and special elements related to Bionicle.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, MangaNOID said:

Bare bones technic, this is awesome and not too large.

I was just thinking today how LBG is my preferred non colour, colour. I may just get the instructions and build this.

great use of pieces too, but I’m a bit weirded out about that lip at the back. Not sure but looks too pokey out or something 

Otherwise  :thumbup:

Thanks. I agree with the overhang being a bit too big.

23 hours ago, Seasider said:

Great bare bones Technic model. How does it compare size wise to the UCS Falcon? I do agree that the lip at the rear looks a bit odd.

It is smaller than the UCS, it is actually the same size as the 75105.

22 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I did the UT-60D a year or so ago with functioning retractable wings and opening bay door:

and it was a blast.  Didn't get much attention but it was different than I was accustomed to with official sets and even others MOCs.  In your model I do like the looks and I think the size is spot on.  I wish there were just a few more functions though.  Landing gear would have been awesome.  At a slightly larger scale I think pneumatic landing gear would be totally possible.  In one of my first projects back from my Dark Ages I bought 7965 x2, increased the dimensions, and added pneumatic landing gear to it.  Overall I think the project was a train wreck (I was new to the hobby) but the pneumatic landing gear totally worked.  Disappeared when retracted and supported a near 4,000 piece set (non-Technic) when deployed. 

Overall, great Technic rendition of a favorite.  I actually think a set like this would open some doors to others currently not into Technic..... 

I saw that model and I thought it was great indeed. I have been thinking about pneumatic landinggears etc., but my customer kept his wishlist short in terms of functionality. And with all the projects I have currently ongoing I didn't want to invest a lot of time in updating this design. It would be perfectly possible though. There is ample space inside the structure I think for all kind of pneumatics.

14 hours ago, grum64 said:

Jake & George think this is very, very cool and I see no reason to disagree but as good as this is, and I think it’s teriffic, I have to say I like your cars more and look forward to seeing your next project :classic:

You are not the only one with that preference :wink:, but don't worry, more cars are coming...

Love this model. Must have for any Technic collector, just to diversify collection:thumbup:

@Jeroen Ottens Hey! It seems the first big scale SW Technic MOC appears! Going this steps in the nearest future we"ll see a city from Lego technic.

BTW first building was revealed in 42082 :laugh:

Your Falcon anyway worth building! Great work! 

And my main question I let myself to ask here to avoid bumping another topic - how's going with mobile crane?

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

@Jeroen Ottens Hey! It seems the first big scale SW Technic MOC appears! Going this steps in the nearest future we"ll see a city from Lego technic.

BTW first building was revealed in 42082 :laugh:

Your Falcon anyway worth building! Great work! 

And my main question I let myself to ask here to avoid bumping another topic - how's going with mobile crane?

I have contemplated once to make an aircraft carrier to accompany my Tomcat, but even though I am not afraid of big projects, that one got skipped the moment I calculated the size of it :laugh:.

It is difficult to build in these small scales in Technic, there are just not enough small textures in the bricks available like there are in system. So you end up with bulky looking approximations.

I consider my Technic X-wing a better suited scale for these kind of vehicles, but that just makes buildings too big too try I think...

And to answer your main question: I am in the process of reviewing the building instructions (all 1200 pages...)

Terrific job on the fine MOC. Just the idea that it is technic is great for me. I have so many grey technic parts that are destined for the greater good!! It will definitely open the door for me!! Thanks 

Nice work, easily recognizable.  I like this a lot more than the usual brick built falcons that have been done way too many times.

Edited by Great Ball Pit