Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG 2.0

On 7/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, Faladrin said:

Thank you for your welcome.

I was thinking at some General RPG rules like The Basic RPG rules you can find in Chaosium or something similar where you've got the possibility of using the XP and advantages you've got from the former character you played to create a new one. Well it seems insane and crazy in the term of characters but it is using a Player acount as the receiver of the XP and then he can use this XP for other characters in other worlds.

Of course, if I understand you it's not really the objective here. After all, a big mash up of themes is always hard to build and make cohesive.

That could be interesting, especially if there's no set theme and we're still discussing things, especially with how combat would line up. And I love playtesting various ideas.

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

That could be interesting, especially if there's no set theme and we're still discussing things, especially with how combat would line up. And I love playtesting various ideas.

With no theme set, it's easier to write the rules and then apply a theme for a short scenario after having built the general game mechanics.

If you want to stay to Heroica style RPG and keep a character it's still a possibility you play a Time or Theme traveller. In LEGO it's frequent to see such themes and it eases the character build. For example, be inspired by some good old "Valerian et Laureline" comic books (The books, not the outrageous film Besson made...) you can totally have a Sci Fi Pilot associated with a Medieval Rogue Girl and see them trevelling through time...

We can even, as it's LEGO, go to something like The Lego Movie or to the Videogame "Lego Universe" too !

That's what is really convenient with our dear bricks... Themes can intertwine easily !

On 7/16/2019 at 4:46 AM, Faladrin said:

With no theme set, it's easier to write the rules and then apply a theme for a short scenario after having built the general game mechanics.

If you want to stay to Heroica style RPG and keep a character it's still a possibility you play a Time or Theme traveller. In LEGO it's frequent to see such themes and it eases the character build. For example, be inspired by some good old "Valerian et Laureline" comic books (The books, not the outrageous film Besson made...) you can totally have a Sci Fi Pilot associated with a Medieval Rogue Girl and see them trevelling through time...

We can even, as it's LEGO, go to something like The Lego Movie or to the Videogame "Lego Universe" too !

That's what is really convenient with our dear bricks... Themes can intertwine easily !

Oof, don't remind me of that movie...

I'll try to have an idea for a quest written up this weekend to see what people think.

Edited by KotZ

On 7/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, KotZ said:

Oof, don't remind me of that movie...

I'll try to have an idea for a quest written up this weekend to see what people think.

Haha ! Not a really good movie :laugh: you can skip it. But the French Comics are quite good even if a bit old now...

I'll look forward to see what you'll write then.