Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

10 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Hello, I was wondering if an ruling has been made about vehicles type of like "tanks" and "airplanes". For example I was thinking the main vehicle (a tank) would get it's stats, then a driver would get it's stats and a gunner would get it's stats. But if the driver or gunner gets "killed" by an allies then a enemy on foot could take over said position. Plus, I was wondering about robotic vehicles and would just get their single stats or would they need some thing else? 

I guess the other main thing is how one would make a battle map/grid? I am thinking some one might have to make some sort of tutorial on how to make one. Because at this time I am sort of drawing a blank and I figured it might help other people out. 

No rules on vehicles yet, currently I don't think we're planning on PC's owning their own ships or at least not making them a big part of quests. Plus vehicle combat is a whole other system that will require a lot of planning. Right now I think the focus is more on the RPG aspect and less on the tactical war game aspect of the game.

Regarding battle map/grids. You can go as basic as Excel or Google Sheets, photoshop, or there's plenty of mapping apps out there like Dungeon-Scrawl, Inkarnate, or Dungeon-Draft. Alternatively, as previously mentioned, I'd like to implement some sort of creator's guild where players can submit assets like NPC/enemy portraits, battle maps, or scenery photos, that can be used by other DM's in return for XP that can be spent on the character. Overtime, potential DM's could possibly put a quest together just based on community created content alone.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, Duvors said:

Would you mind explaining Discord to me? I'm completely unfamiliar with the platform.

Whoops, I'm sorry for not seeing this sooner!

Basically, Discord is a structured chat platform. I can supply images of you want, but you can probably search those up yourself. Essentially, a good discord server will have multiple different 'channels,' in different categories. So, in this instance, you could have a category about say, planning game mechanics and a separate category for lore decisions, and perhaps even a separate category for art or figbarfs or whatever. Within each of these categories you could have specific channels: a mechanics category could have a channel for discussing player build, or combat, or weapons, etc. You could mute any channel or category you don't want to be involved with, and have easy, categorized discussions that have less ideas speaking over each other. An admin can 'pin' posts as well, meaning important developments can be easily accessed for later. The search bar also functions a lot better than the Eurobricks search function, and you can choose to search for key terms in the entire discord server, or just a specific channel or category. 

I don't know, that was a lot of words, I hope that makes sense. 

@The Legonater

That sounds excellent, especially as it would be easier for more people to involve themselves in the project. My only question is if it's possible to have private channels, as the PM we're currently using has started diving into setting secrets that we might not want to reveal to everyone.

1 minute ago, Duvors said:

@The Legonater

That sounds excellent, especially as it would be easier for more people to involve themselves in the project. My only question is if it's possible to have private channels, as the PM we're currently using has started diving into setting secrets that we might not want to reveal to everyone.

Yes, I'm part of a gaming discord and we have private DM channel that the rest of the players can't see.

15 minutes ago, Duvors said:

@Waterbrick Down @Kintobor @Classic_Spaceman @Goliath @samurai-turtle

Right then, do we want to do this? (For those who haven't been following the discussion 'this' is setting up a discord channel for lore and rules development.)

I can set one up if that'd be helpful. Might be more profitable than the google doc we've got going.

Just now, Waterbrick Down said:

I can set one up if that'd be helpful. Might be more profitable than the google doc we've got going.

I say yes. :thumbup:

I am not sure at this time. Plus if we have to install something on our phone. I need to get a new phone at some point. And the one I got doesn't seem to have enough memory to even upload a picture (or two). Any advice on a good cheap phone would be helpful. 

54 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

I am not sure at this time. Plus if we have to install something on our phone. I need to get a new phone at some point. And the one I got doesn't seem to have enough memory to even upload a picture (or two). Any advice on a good cheap phone would be helpful. 

Phone not required, you can run Discord from your computer.

21 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Phone not required, you can run Discord from your computer.

Well, that is not to much better for me. I still have to go to the library and use one of their computers' for an internet connection (with a computer). 

I figured it was better to share this here since it came from here. But is this some of things "we" are looking for? 

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

I figured it was better to share this here since it came from here. But is this some of things "we" are looking for? 

Some of it would fit well, some of it's a bit heavy on the sci-fi side. Thanks for the link. :)

56 minutes ago, dangerous dice said:

I currently don't have access to discord, so is it okay if I post some of my ideas here?

Sure go right ahead. We're getting close to launch, so you should start seeing more posted to the forums soon.

it's still needs some polishing, but heres a quick writeup for Jormkifar, the Wyrm

Jormkifar, the Wyrm

Jormkifar is a planet-sized snake/wingless dragon that spends most of it's time napping. the general aesthetic is norse inspired, with a little bit of egyptian thrown in.

-the inhabitants and locals-

Jormkifar has a flourishing ecosystem, and is the home of several famous locations. though not comprehesive, the following is a list of some of the most important:

Bleedsky: bleedsky is a arena for gladiators and other various warriors to duke it out for fame and glory. it is named after it's founder, varij bleedsky.

Valjor: Valjor is the largest city on Jormkifar, and is a mixing pot for different races and cultures. it was founded by a man named M'hatrim.

the rubblepierce: the rubblepierce is a collection of orbiting debris and moons that have been taken over by space pirates. despite previous atempts to remove them, they managed to cling on. recently, they spoke with Jormkifar (who has ability to mentally project a much, much, much smaller version of himself, which is about the size of a small spaceship) and gained city-ship. now the space police (not sure what your equivelent called) can't really do anything about them.

of course, this is still pretty rough, but I feel it has potential!

7 hours ago, dangerous dice said:

the rubblepierce: the rubblepierce is a collection of orbiting debris and moons that have been taken over by space pirates. despite previous atempts to remove them, they managed to cling on. recently, they spoke with Jormkifar (who has ability to mentally project a much, much, much smaller version of himself, which is about the size of a small spaceship) and gained city-ship. now the space police (not sure what your equivelent called) can't really do anything about them.

I think that this could be incorporated into a quest that takes place near Port Drandora, since there is there is considerable overlap. 👍
Also, we are calling our space police "Space Police", so that the SPII torsos can be used. 

7 hours ago, dangerous dice said:

Jormkifar, the Wyrm

Jormkifar is a planet-sized snake/wingless dragon that spends most of it's time napping. the general aesthetic is norse inspired, with a little bit of egyptian thrown in.

I think that for the start of the game, we should just have Jormkifar appear to be some kind of biological planet that can project its consciousness into the minds of mages who connect with it (possibly via Ætherspace, similar to the Cladrasith?) and keep the revelation that it is actually a massive dragon a secret until later (as I think that this could be a significant twist/plot-point). 

9 hours ago, dangerous dice said:

it's still needs some polishing, but heres a quick writeup for Jormkifar, the Wyrm

Jormkifar, the Wyrm

-the inhabitants and locals-

Jormkifar has a flourishing ecosystem, and is the home of several famous locations. though not comprehesive, the following is a list of some of the most important:

Bleedsky: bleedsky is a arena for gladiators and other various warriors to duke it out for fame and glory. it is named after it's founder, varij bleedsky.

Valjor: Valjor is the largest city on Jormkifar, and is a mixing pot for different races and cultures. it was founded by a man named M'hatrim.

of course, this is still pretty rough, but I feel it has potential!

Hey, dangerous dice, this is a pretty cool concept! The team is incredibly close to launch, and we're not taking in any more lore concepts for the game at launch. However, if you want to see your concept in the game, we suggest you join us at launch to include your concept into the ever growing world we hope to create, either in a quest or as part of your characters backstory! We are incredibly excited to share our work with the community, and we'd love to have you add Jormkifar to the universe we're building.

14 hours ago, dangerous dice said:

Jormkifar, the Wyrm

This piece would be good as a symbol for the group who worships Jormkifar. 

11 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Hey, dangerous dice, this is a pretty cool concept! The team is incredibly close to launch, and we're not taking in any more lore concepts for the game at launch. However, if you want to see your concept in the game, we suggest you join us at launch to include your concept into the ever growing world we hope to create, either in a quest or as part of your characters backstory! We are incredibly excited to share our work with the community, and we'd love to have you add Jormkifar to the universe we're building.

okay! does that entail becoming a Qm? as I dont have a very big collection, and i'm not sure I have any pieces that would be useful. I do act as the dm for my dnd though, so maybe. is there any requirements for QM-ing?

1 minute ago, dangerous dice said:

okay! does that entail becoming a Qm? as I dont have a very big collection, and i'm not sure I have any pieces that would be useful. I do act as the dm for my dnd though, so maybe. is there any requirements for QM-ing?

Nope! You can quite literally just say 'my character used to live there' and it exists. While we do have a lot of lore already written, it's intended to be added onto by players and MMs over time - you aren't restricted to what's already been made.