Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

I personally have no issue with upgrading proficiencies during quests, but I think learning them during is a bit odd, especially if it is something like Arcana or Occult, strikes me as odd. Maybe have a deciated training room to learning Level 1 Proficiency that could only be accessed at base would be a solution? We can save that for the massive debriefing that will happen in 5-7 days when the mission is over. :tongue:

22 hours ago, Goliath said:

I just feel that there is too much going on for Yelana that her skills do not justify said backstory details.  She has claimed to have been a developer, an intelligence agent, a mercenary, and I think assassin.  Her skills do not reflect that except for the most part.  Being a developer who worked with stealth technology I think would be proficient in Technology and Stealth.  An intelligence agent would be proficient in Culture and Insight if I had to guess.  A mercenary could really be anything.  And an assassin would be proficient in Stealth and Deception.  Really the weapon type can be anything.  Granted that Yelana's age is not exactly known but if I had to guess she is not too old so having all of this experience just seems unreal.

I chose Yelana’s stats before I knew how the game would function, and before I had settled on a specific characterisation (I actually still had Intimidation in the stats that I sent to @Endgame, as I had initially conceptualised Yelana as more of an aggressive assassin-type character). I already plan to change the stats to something that more accurately reflects Yelana’s updated characterisation, for the next test-mission (or finalised game). 

My basic outline for the trajectory of Yelana’s career with Blacktron, is that she began as a data-analyst before becoming a field agent, and that she was assigned to Heroica in order to gather information. 
I think that this can work as a backstory, since Yelana has experience in the theoretical/analytical aspects of technologies such as cloaking fields from her time as a tech, and she is now an active intelligence agent assigned to a mercenary organisation (she never claimed to be an assassin). As for her age, I have not settled on anything specific yet, but I do have a few ideas (depending upon the backstory that I choose to use) - Either older than she looks, or unusually young (with explanations in either case). 
I hope that this clears up some of the confusion surrounding the character. 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

My basic outline for the trajectory of Yelana’s career with Blacktron, is that she began as a data-analyst before becoming a field agent, and that she was assigned to Heroica in order to gather information. 

I think that this can work as a backstory, since Yelana has experience in the theoretical/analytical aspects of technologies such as cloaking fields from her time as a tech, and she is now an active intelligence agent assigned to a mercenary organisation (she never claimed to be an assassin). As for her age, I have not settled on anything specific yet, but I do have a few ideas (depending upon the backstory that I choose to use) - Either older than she looks, or unusually young (with explanations in either case). 
I hope that this clears up some of the confusion surrounding the character. 

I am not sure whether or not that is a good idea.  I always got the impression that one becomes a Hero for a personal reason, not because they were told to do so.  Maybe that is because I still have a Heroica 1.0 mindset so that is why I am conflicted.  To each their own I guess.

One thing I felt like Heroica 1.0 lacked was the diversity in player characters' alignments.  I felt like almost everyone swayed as Lawful Good and no one as Chaotic Evil or any Evil for that matter.  I suppose it is hard to pull off in a setting where you are essentially supposed to do good with being the black sheep.  If anyone has ever watched the Call of the Wild campaign by Node on YouTube, I mean doing crazy stuff like that from time to time.

14 hours ago, Goliath said:

I am not sure whether or not that is a good idea.  I always got the impression that one becomes a Hero for a personal reason, not because they were told to do so.  Maybe that is because I still have a Heroica 1.0 mindset so that is why I am conflicted.  To each their own I guess.

One thing I felt like Heroica 1.0 lacked was the diversity in player characters' alignments.  I felt like almost everyone swayed as Lawful Good and no one as Chaotic Evil or any Evil for that matter.  I suppose it is hard to pull off in a setting where you are essentially supposed to do good with being the black sheep.  If anyone has ever watched the Call of the Wild campaign by Node on YouTube, I mean doing crazy stuff like that from time to time.

I think Neutral Evil and Lawful Evil are pretty easy to do. It's Chaotic Evil that's a bit harder to pull off. There is something I wanted to say regarding allowing Evil PCs into Heroica 2.0, but it'll have to wait until I can surmise my opinion.

Basically, if we want Evil PCs, the players who play them need to understand that you're playing the long game, and you might not succeed in your goals. Be prepared to retire your character when their scheme comes to fruition. 

Endgame boss time! :tongue: Pay close attention to the stat blocks, these guys have builds and strategies built in - they're definitely smarter than the other guys encountered so far. :wink:

Evil characters tend to be trickier, as do contrarians - it's about portraying their personality while remaining a good team player.

@Endgame I'd like to remind you that Kleeck gave the plasma blaster to Igaz, so it should be in his inventory.

Also, Igaz's equipment is currently a mess. I count him as having at least three weapons (one of which I'm not certain he actually has) and two pieces of armor equipped when the rules state that he can only equip one of each at a time and only three items total.

Just thought I would share my thought process on this fight but I chose D1 so I can deal with Trooper A since I am using melee at the moment.  I plan to switch to a ranged weapon after and either focus on the Captain if need be or Trooper B.  Though I question if I should change my position to C2 instead before anything is set.

Enson, @Lord Duvors, could go to E4 and focus on Trooper B.  They have energy armor so you will be doing the most damage possible to them with your hammer.  Unless you prefer to go to E3 and focus on Trooper A with me so we can eliminate the artillery enemy as quick as possible.  They will be doing 3 damage which is rather deadly.  You could then focus on Trooper B next.  Tough call in my opinion.  Nonetheless, we should probably avoid melee battle with the Captain since he will probably kick our butts if we try. :laugh:

I recommend Yelana, @Classic_Spaceman, move to C1 and focus on the Captain with Tester-Three.  You would be doing the most optimal damage.

Tester-Three, @samurai-turtle, your strategy is perfect.

Dunola and Kleeck, @Kintobor and @KotZ, you could choose between B6 and C6 and focus the Captain too.  The Captain has kinetic armor so you both will be doing the most damage to them as possible.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Nonetheless, we should probably avoid melee battle with the Captain since he will probably kick our butts if we try. :laugh:

I think that the Captain is female. 

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

I recommend Yelana, @Classic_Spaceman, move to C1 and focus on the Captain

5 hours ago, Endgame said:

UfKm3n0.png

@Goliath, @Endgame: Did we decide on which diagonal system to use? C1 can only hit the Captain under the Grid 2 (any diagonal) system. 

@Endgame: I have a few questions. 
1.) Does switching between weapons (or, in Yelana's case, switching between modes) use a turn? I think so, but I wanted to be sure. 
2.) Can non-weapon/spell Proficiencies be used in interactions during battles (e.g. Deception, Perception, etc)? I ask, because I have a multi-Proficiency check in-mind. 

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

1.) Does switching between weapons (or, in Yelana's case, switching between modes) use a turn? I think so, but I wanted to be sure.

In H1, swapping weapons didn't take a turn, but swapping armor/artefacts did. I would think it's the same here.

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Goliath, @Endgame: Did we decide on which diagonal system to use? C1 can only hit the Captain under the Grid 2 (any diagonal) system. 

For the sake of this quest we have been using Grid 2 as indicated by the previous two battles.

3 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

@Goliath I was thinking I also target Trooper A from my position if needed. Since Trooper B seems resistant to my attacks. 

You can next turn so they die in two rather than three if you want.  I just worry about the Captain getting into melee range and knocking out Kleeck or Dunola in one hit.  She does 5 melee damage and neither Kleeck or Dunola has elemental armor to negate some of it.

16 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

@Endgame I'd like to remind you that Kleeck gave the plasma blaster to Igaz, so it should be in his inventory.

Also, Igaz's equipment is currently a mess. I count him as having at least three weapons (one of which I'm not certain he actually has) and two pieces of armor equipped when the rules state that he can only equip one of each at a time and only three items total.

Will fix the blaster swap!

I was actually doing it as the first weapon/armor listed in the inventory is the one being equipped. I think it makes more sense to stick unequipped stuff in people's inventory, so thanks for the heads up.

15 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

@Endgame I was wondering what is the range of casting "spells" and on item use. Would I have to be next to someone to use a potion or can be some space. 

If using an item on somebody, I'd say you have to be within immediate eight square radius. Spells I would say can be used on whatever space the spellcaster intends.

10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I think that the Captain is female. 

@Endgame: I have a few questions. 
2.) Can non-weapon/spell Proficiencies be used in interactions during battles (e.g. Deception, Perception, etc)? I ask, because I have a multi-Proficiency check in-mind. 

The good captain is indeed a female. As for weapon swapping, weapons are filed under Equipment n Heroica 2.0, and the rules as written say that swapping equipment takes a turn - ergo, weapon swapping does, too.

As of now, no, because we have no way of fairly applying it to battle in a consistent way.

And, because we never reached a consensus, I was indeed going to use this range chart for the boss fight, if that works for everyone:

MM743uU.png

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

From what I understand of the system, yes. 'Change Equipment' is defined as an action in the rules, and the rules also define equipment as 'Weapons, Armor, or Tools'. In fact, since the two modes of the weapon are mechanically separate items you should only have one of them in your equipment slot. The other would be in your inventory. @Endgame, the same goes for the Cydonian Captain's Energy Pistol and Plasma Pike, as well as Cydonian Trooper B's Stock Gun and Cydonian Dagger.

Also, I feel I should expound my own take on combat strategy:

Firstly, I feel @samurai-turtle should make his attack from C6 while @Classic_Spaceman attacks from C1. I want the entire board covered by our long range fighters to counteract the teleportation spells that the Cydonian troopers possess. I have Tester-Three at C6 because his kinetic armor will offer him protection against Trooper B's attacks. Yelana I have at C1 because none of the enemies can currently target that space and Yelana currently has no armor.

@Goliath should actually attack Trooper B from D4. Igaz's armor currently makes him the toughest melee combatant we have and the central position will divide the attention of all the enemies and leave him better able to respond to sudden teleportations.

@Kintobor and @KotZ, I have no clear idea what you should do. Some part of me feels that Kleeck would be better off at D1 attacking Trooper A and Dunola should be at B6 attacking Trooper B instead, but Kleeck's higher skill makes him better protected then Dunola and B6 is within range of all enemies on the board.

I personally want to be at D3 attacking Trooper A, my high skill makes me almost as tough as Igaz so being in range of almost as many attacks while being in a similarly central position makes a lot of sense, especially as I'm also a melee fighter.

To be clear, my overall intent is to expose the weakest members of the party to the least danger while ensuring that every character has an ally within supporting range to prevent anyone from being isolated for as long as possible.

Edited by Lord Duvors

Just now, Lord Duvors said:

*snipping stat-issue-point-out and a good strategy*

Thank you for the heads up! Everyone's equipment should be fixed - tell me if you have something equipped that you'd rather not. The Captain will be starting with her Plasma Pike, and the Trooper with his gun. Let me know if anything else seems awry. :classic:

18 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

@Endgame, I've just realized I can add an extra spell. Is it alright if I take Quantum Teleportation?

Sure, it's round zero and you didn't get fully ambushed, after all.

This boss was built around a strategy I suspect will be very popular, especially after Melee weapons get fully fixed... teleport your heaviest hitter into the middle of a crowd, let them pop a power cell, and go nuts. :tongue:

Edited by Endgame

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

This boss was built around a strategy I suspect will be very popular, especially after Melee weapons get fully fixed... teleport your heaviest hitter into the middle of a crowd, let them pop a power cell, and go nuts. :tongue:

That is so dirty! :devil_laugh:

I honestly did not expect that to happen on the first round, yikes.  Not sure what the best course of actions would be so feel free to disagree.

Tester-Three, @samurai-turtle, you should heal yourself up.

Enson, @Lord Duvors, unfortunately neither of us are strong enough to finish off Trooper A with a single hit so lets do it together.  Save your Energy Cell for either the Captain or Trooper B.  The following turn, depending how this one goes, you could cast Quantum Transposition on Tester-Tester.

Kleeck and Yelana, @KotZ and @Classic_Spaceman, you both could attack Trooper B but unfortunately they have energy armor so I believe you both will be missing out on 1 point of damage I believe.  Nevertheless, that will help prepare for Trooper B to be killed the following round.

Dunola, @Kintobor, could cast Warding Bond on either Tester-Three or Enson.  The following turn you could use an Energy Cell and finish off Trooper B with Kleeck assuming they do not teleport.

This one really is a tough fight.  The Quantum Transposition spell is seriously a game changer.  They could literally teleport any time.  Not sure if I can spend EXP points during combat or not but if I can I should invest in either Arcana or Religion so I can cast Warding Bond to help out a bit.

And @Endgame, if I use my Shield Booster, do I have it active until I am attacked?

I'd say the Shield Booster goes until someone whacks you, yes. We're going to have to figure out a way to make Shield Boosters and Warding Bond stack in a fair way, aren't we. :tongue:

I hope it's not too dirty! :blush: I just wanted to test what the heck a boss fight looks like in these rules. Apparently, a bit like the Captain. :look:

Something I just realized; If myself, @Goliath and @Classic_Spaceman all attack the Captain now and @Kintobor casts an Elemental Evocation at her we stand a very high chance of killing them outright. If I use my Energy Cell (and we're all very lucky) then we might not even need the spell at all and it could be retargeted to Trooper A or B. Also, @KotZ might want to try to use the Defend or Rally actions on Yelana depending on what they prefer.

Thoughts?

Edited by Lord Duvors

1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

Something I just realized; If myself, @Goliath and @Classic_Spaceman all attack the Captain now and @Kintobor casts an Elemental Evocation at her we stand a very high chance of killing them outright. If I use my Energy Cell (and we're all very lucky) then we might not even need the spell at all and it could be retargeted to Trooper A or B. Also, @KotZ might want to try to use the Defend or Rally actions on Yelana depending on what they prefer.

Thoughts?

I think that is a better plan.  Unfortunately Yelana is one space too far from attacking but even if the rest of us attack the Captain she should be killed.  You might have to use your Energy Cell though.  The three of us should be able to kill the Captain if our attacks are successful. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I think that is a better plan.  Unfortunately Yelana is one space too far from attacking but even if the rest of us attack the Captain she should be killed.  You might have to use your Energy Cell though.  The three of us should be able to kill the Captain if our attacks are successful. 

I forgot Yelana was too far away, I'll have to use the Energy Cell now or we can't do enough damage.

So I decided to redownload LDD and it is definitely going to take some time getting used to!  It kind of sucks that not every LEGO asset is available in it so that was a bummer.  I just messed around with it quickly and came up with an idea how my character could look.  Though unfortunately the pieces I used are not found in metallic colors but basically I just used the new skeleton pieces and made them metallic gray.  I could not exactly put the "head" on but it is basically just one cylinder brick with two round 1x1 plates on top.  Maybe @Endgame has a solution? :grin:  Otherwise I could easily just get the pieces in the gray color them come in and just go off that or go with a brick built version.