Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

On 11/7/2019 at 12:31 AM, samurai-turtle said:

If I could use this guy, I would appreciate it but I am flexible to using one of the premade guys. 

super-battle-droid-square.png 

Tester-Two (samurai-turtle) 
One Cycle, Genderless, War Bot {robotic} 
Vitality: 6/6  
Strength: 2 
Skill: 1 
Smarts: 1 
Spirit: 1 
Proficiencies: Technology 1,  Long Range Weapons 1, Piloting 1, 
Credits: 10 
Equipment: Standard Arm Cannon (+1, Long Range Energy Weapon), Standard Metallic Exoskeleton (+1 Kinetic Armor) 
Inventory: Shield Booster 

I am still confused by this point system you are using @Waterbrick Down. If I am calculating things right the above character used nine points and I have one left over for something. 

Your character actually only has spent 2 points thus far to increase Strength from 1 to 2. The rest of the stats are still at their starting level (i.e. 1), you spend creation points to either increase those stats past 1, increase your starting proficiencies, or increase your vitality.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:31 AM, samurai-turtle said:

I do have an idea for the battle grid, maybe label it like Battleship example A2 attacks C3. 

This is more of a story idea I had for some time. Since it seems the game is heading into space the name/theme for Blacktron goes by the name Battle Electronics. What I have in mind for "Battle Electronics" is a Weapons Dealer selling stuff to anyone and everybody, or Sell to both sides of a conflict. I guess what Destro (from G.I. Joe) the owner of Mars Industry would be doing, like from the first live action movie. Plus, the enemies of "Battle Electronics" might give them the nickname "Blacktron" in an attempt to insult them. 

Yep, when I post the battle grid there will be numbers and letters. Regarding Blacktron, I think taking existing factions and putting our own spin on them would be great.

Samurai-turtle
Endgame
Kintober
KotZ

I'd like 2 more if possible. We've also may have potential for a few settings shots thanks to a generous builder, @Chromeknight, who's currently helping me out.

29 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Samurai-turtle
Endgame
Kintober
KotZ

I'd like 2 more if possible. We've also may have potential for a few settings shots thanks to a generous builder, @Chromeknight, who's currently helping me out.

I am interested in playing, but I find the rules to be rather complicated and confusing - I am not even sure how to create my character (I would probably need a pre-made one). ?

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Your character actually only has spent 2 points thus far to increase Strength from 1 to 2. The rest of the stats are still at their starting level (i.e. 1), you spend creation points to either increase those stats past 1, increase your starting proficiencies, or increase your vitality.

Ok, I think I am it getting better. But a question on "Smarts" if I go from a 'one' to 'two', how many more "Proficiencies" would I be able to to add? 

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Ok, I think I am it getting better. But a question on "Smarts" if I go from a 'one' to 'two', how many more "Proficiencies" would I be able to to add? 

2. Everyone starts with 3 and the capacity to buy a 4th with points. After that you’ll need to buy a 2nd Smart to start a 5th proficiency.

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am interested in playing, but I find the rules to be rather complicated and confusing - I am not even sure how to create my character (I would probably need a pre-made one). ?

You’re welcome to join. Are there any particular parts that are more confusing than others? As the rules are refined, it’s always good to have feedback on how to state things more clearly.

If you cannot fill the two slots I will participate.  Just consider me a final option.  I also have no character preference.

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Everyone starts with 3 and the capacity to buy a 4th with points. After that you’ll need to buy a 2nd Smart to start a 5th proficiency. 

Just so I get everything (before I make Tester-Three :wink:), I would start with three proficiencies, then to get a fourth one I would need to "buy" it. And then to get a fifth one I would first need to "upgrade" smarts to "level two". And just out of curiosity if I would want to get a sixth proficiencies, would I need to "upgrade" smarts again? 

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Just so I get everything (before I make Tester-Three :wink:), I would start with three proficiencies, then to get a fourth one I would need to "buy" it. And then to get a fifth one I would first need to "upgrade" smarts to "level two". And just out of curiosity if I would want to get a sixth proficiencies, would I need to "upgrade" smarts again? 

Correct and correct

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Correct and correct

Alright time for Tester-Three :grin:  And I think I used the 10 points. 

super-battle-droid-square.png 

Tester-Three (samurai-turtle) 

One Cycle Old, Genderless, War Bot {Robotic} 

Vitality: 6/6 

Strength: 2 

Skill: 1 

Smarts: 2 

Spirit: 1 

Proficiencies: Technology 2, Long Range Weapons 2, Piloting 1, Perception 1, Engineering 1, 

Credits: 10 

Equipment: Standard Arm Cannon (+1, Long Range Energy Weapon), Standard Metallic Exoskeleton (+1 Kinetic Armor) 

Inventory: Shield Booster 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Spelling

On 11/7/2019 at 1:31 AM, samurai-turtle said:

This is more of a story idea I had for some time. Since it seems the game is heading into space the name/theme for Blacktron goes by the name Battle Electronics. What I have in mind for "Battle Electronics" is a Weapons Dealer selling stuff to anyone and everybody, or Sell to both sides of a conflict. I guess what Destro (from G.I. Joe) the owner of Mars Industry would be doing, like from the first live action movie. Plus, the enemies of "Battle Electronics" might give them the nickname "Blacktron" in an attempt to insult them. 

I like this idea, but I am not sure why "Blacktron" cannot be their official name. Real-world companies such as Blackwater (private security) and Black Cube (private intelligence) have similar names and functions as Blacktron, so I see the existing name to be reasonable. 
An extension of this general idea: What if Blacktron is the organisation for which players work, rather than Space-Heroica (since Heroica is also a shady mercenary organisation), and calling the game "Blacktron: The RPG" serves to better convey the sci-fi/sci-fantasy setting, does not make new players feel that they must be familiar with the old game in order to play the new one, and would appeal to a wider range of members (since I seriously doubt that anyone here would not like to play a game as a Blacktron agent!). 

BTW, I am currently working on my character stats and questions/suggestions in the About Me section of my profile. I will post here once I feel that it is complete enough, but I am welcome to suggestions and answers during the interim. 

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I like this idea, but I am not sure why "Blacktron" cannot be their official name. Real-world companies such as Blackwater (private security) and Black Cube (private intelligence) have similar names and functions as Blacktron, so I see the existing name to be reasonable. 
An extension of this general idea: What if Blacktron is the organisation for which players work, rather than Space-Heroica (since Heroica is also a shady mercenary organisation), and calling the game "Blacktron: The RPG" serves to better convey the sci-fi/sci-fantasy setting, does not make new players feel that they must be familiar with the old game in order to play the new one, and would appeal to a wider range of members (since I seriously doubt that anyone here would not like to play a game as a Blacktron agent!). 

BTW, I am currently working on my character stats and questions/suggestions in the About Me section of my profile. I will post here once I feel that it is complete enough, but I am welcome to suggestions and answers during the interim. 

Yeah, hi, I’ve got no interest in running Blacktron as the organization that the game centres around, especially, especially if we’re running it like Black Water, known human rights violators, war criminals, and all around scummy megablocks. :sceptic: If we want to base Blacktron off of private mercenary armies, cool, but let’s not have the player faction be that.

I’m coming this game as someone who has no interest in Lego’s space themes. Like, at all. I have a few sets and mini figures from my youth, but I’m mainly in this because I love this community, and I think science fantasy is a fun setting, and is a hard enough change in direction from the old game to draw in new people.

Look at this game like you would The Legend of Zelda. Same branding, similar themes, but ultimately each game in that franchise is usually it’s own affair. You don’t have to have played Heroica 1.0 to enjoy Heroica 2.0. :classic:

10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

First off one really wants to be forced into a single faction (like @Kintobor stated) like you are seemingly trying to do. If someone wants to be a former, current or "a future want to be" that is fine. Second you should look at more as an Easter egg like @Waterbrick Down 's M'tronics since that is supposed to be M'Tron or an equivalent. If you look around the older quest their is a lot of these Easter eggs to be found. Third who is to say Battle Electronics doesn't just become Blacktron. Battle Electronics could be an early version of Blacktron or just a regional division. Plus companies buy each other I am going to use a local example "Driggs Farms of IN" got bought out by "Dean's Foods" years ago, now the products made their (ice cream) never change and is still being made (for now). Fourth you could just make a fraction of "space elves" but we shouldn't be calling them  "Vulcans and Romulans from Star Trek". Their is some potential problems like legal issues or from a creative story telling point, and we should try to be some what creative here. The 5th point none of this might not even be used. Unless I run a quest and use Battle Electronics for some stuff. 

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Yeah, hi, I’ve got no interest in running Blacktron as the organization that the game centres around, especially, especially if we’re running it like Black Water, known human rights violators, war criminals, and all around scummy megablocks. :sceptic: If we want to base Blacktron off of private mercenary armies, cool, but let’s not have the player faction be that.

Uh. . . You DEFINITELY misunderstood me, as that is not at all what I intended! I was simply drawing very superficial comparisons, in the context of why the name "Blacktron" could be retained (for whatever form the organisation takes in the game) - Not suggesting that we role-play war crimes and Human-Rights violations. ?

The suggestion that Blacktron act in the same capacity as Heroica did in the original game was a second idea, but since I thought of it whilst writing, I can see how may have blended with my first point. 
My understanding of Heroica, is that it is a private mercenary organisation that deals with nearly all factions, irrespective of their side in a given situation, and whose employees engage in dubiously-legal missions (corporate espionage, theft, etc) - See the Mission pitch by @Waterbrick Down

Mission Title: Mercenaries on the Boreal Express

Patron: Leopold Irgonstead Middle Management at Octan Energy Corporation

Assignment: A new source of energy is being smuggled by M’tronics Energy Conglomerate on the gas giant planet of Vison. The item is being transported on the Boreal Express hover train from capital city Parous to the refinery center of Con’stap. Sources claim M’tronics agents destroyed a moon to obtain it. Passage upon the train will be paid for by Octan Energy Corp.

Reward: Pay is 150 credits each and a word in with Octan Energy Corp. Bring back the source itself and the pay will boost to 300 credits each.

Team Requirements: 6 Agents

My personal view of Blacktron is that they are a similar organisation, hence my suggestion. I do apologise, though, if my intentions seemed otherwise. 

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

First off one really wants to be forced into a single faction (like @Kintobor stated) like you are seemingly trying to do. If someone wants to be a former, current or "a future want to be" that is fine. Second you should look at more as an Easter egg like @Waterbrick Down 's M'tronics since that is supposed to be M'Tron or an equivalent. If you look around the older quest their is a lot of these Easter eggs to be found. Third who is to say Battle Electronics doesn't just become Blacktron. Battle Electronics could be an early version of Blacktron or just a regional division. 

I think that I am not fully clear on some aspects of the game. I was under the impression that there would be an organisation that facilitated missions (like Heroica), and that the factions in the game would be based on classic Space themes (hence appearances by M;Tron and Octan in the test Mission), so my suggestion was simply to use the name "Blacktron" instead of "Heroica", not to force all players to side with a single faction. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I think that I am not fully clear on some aspects of the game. I was under the impression that there would be an organisation that facilitated missions (like Heroica), and that the factions in the game would be based on classic Space themes (hence appearances by M;Tron and Octan in the test Mission), so my suggestion was simply to use the name "Blacktron" instead of "Heroica", not to force all players to side with a single faction. 

The clarification definitely helps. I think though that having "Blacktron" as the name is problematic because why not MTron? Why not Space Police, etc? Official lego theme names might be better as references for factions to interact with rather than the player mission-giving one.

24 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I think though that having "Blacktron" as the name is problematic because why not MTron? Why not Space Police, etc? Official lego theme names might be better as references for factions to interact with rather than the player mission-giving one.

Of the classic Space themes, Blacktron is the best analogue for the role of Heroica.
M;Tron is mining/energy (originally conceived as a rescue/transport team), Futuron and Ice Planet are science/research-focused, Spyrius is too narrowly-focused on spying, Space Police is a law-enforcement agency, and Unitron is security/transportation (which could work, but they lack the mercenary aspect to fit with the Mission pitch). 
That said, I would have no problem with using another faction for the game, provided that the Missions are based loosely on that faction's focus. 

As for using an official LEGO name for the game, this has already occurred - The name "Heroica" is drawn from the games of the same name

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

?

@Waterbrick Down

You got to think "Heroica" more of a hub area. Not sure if you ever played any of the LEGO Star Wars video games, but they had a hub zone where you could go to a "episode" and then a "chapter".

If you look at "Heroica" it self, originally it was just a couple of LEGO set(s) of a board game(s). But then @Sandy took the name and put some faux D&D rules to the forum game (or version one). Then their was some talk of a space version of Heroica (1.0) when the first version got cleared up, it was later that version two got some more talk to what to do, and even later (right now) is their even some version one rules for Heroica (2.0). 

But having a more generic name (even though their is some sort of history to it) gives a more open end options to the game. Since in the original game everyone was a mercenary. They had the freedom to join one of the three so called faction that was formed up. Even though not to much was ever done with the factions. And I got a feeling the same thing will happen if similar factions happen in the newer version (2.0). 

But right now the factions / companies / governments should be considered more for stories ideas. Let's say I need some one to be the aggressive force to the "Blue Falcons" well why not the "Forestmen" or the "Bull Knights" and I am sure I could think up two more factions to fight the "Blue Falcons". Heck, you might want to use all the mentioned factions. 

7 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Of the classic Space themes, Blacktron is the best analogue for the role of Heroica.
M;Tron is mining/energy (originally conceived as a rescue/transport team), Futuron and Ice Planet are science/research-focused, Spyrius is too narrowly-focused on spying, Space Police is a law-enforcement agency, and Unitron is security/transportation (which could work, but they lack the mercenary aspect to fit with the Mission pitch). 
That said, I would have no problem with using another faction for the game, provided that the Missions are based loosely on that faction's focus. 

As for using an official LEGO name for the game, this has already occurred - The name "Heroica" is drawn from the games of the same name

Well that is just the "space" stuff. What we are saying is why not throw in stuff from Ninjago, Castle, Exo-Force, Nexo Knights, Town/City, Pirates and Mixels. Who is to say that it didn't evolve into some sort of advance society. Or another example is similar to what Happened in the LEGO movie(s) that was a mash up of everything. Or another example is Star Trek, some will say it is a "western in space" and then you look at some of the episodes evolving "gods",  "ghost", rock monsters, robots and even "Space Nazis". And you see it is a little more than just a "space western". 

Most of us have been around a while and know the history of the game. It is more or less just excitement for potential of space at the moment. The first version seem to limit the place (i.e. only on one planet) and the technology (i.e. no modern guns and beyond). But if someone wants to run around with a "magic sword" to quest, no one is going to stop you from doing that. Heck, if you want your character not to get how a "energy weapon" works and just think it is "magic" that is fine too. 

1 hour ago, Viper Knight said:

Yo @Classic_Spaceman I think you should inquire about your post count to a leader of Eurobricks. You're still a Vassal, when you should definitely be a Citizen.

Goodluck role-players. I'm looking forward to reading it through.

The ranks on EB are just about how many times someone has posted; there's no real meaning to them aside from that.

And as a roleplaying game (or what I hope we'll grow in to), I always love to see new people get interested.

12 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Uh. . . You DEFINITELY misunderstood me, as that is not at all what I intended! I was simply drawing very superficial comparisons, in the context of why the name "Blacktron" could be retained (for whatever form the organisation takes in the game) - Not suggesting that we role-play war crimes and Human-Rights violations. ?

The suggestion that Blacktron act in the same capacity as Heroica did in the original game was a second idea, but since I thought of it whilst writing, I can see how may have blended with my first point. 
My understanding of Heroica, is that it is a private mercenary organisation that deals with nearly all factions, irrespective of their side in a given situation, and whose employees engage in dubiously-legal missions (corporate espionage, theft, etc) - See the Mission pitch by @Waterbrick Down

My personal view of Blacktron is that they are a similar organisation, hence my suggestion. I do apologise, though, if my intentions seemed otherwise. 

It’s all good. :classic: I’ll admit I was in a bit of a bad mood yesterday, so sorry if I came off a little harsh.

I think Samurai Turtle said it best, but I’ll add that using Heroica as our organization opens up Blacktron to be used as a separate faction, and I’d rather have the classic space factions be used as NPC factions that PCs can interact with.

11 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

Yo @Classic_Spaceman I think you should inquire about your post count to a leader of Eurobricks. You're still a Vassal, when you should definitely be a Citizen. 

Some section of the site the post count doesn't add to your total count. The moderating team felt some section was just getting spam to up the post count, so it got changed. The two main sections are "community" and "hello let me induced myself" (if their are other section I am not sure). 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Spelling

Maybe it is just me but I would prefer to keep the player organization either a continuation or a revival of the Heroes.  To think that we are just mercenaries seems mundane.  I think what made Heroica 1.0 special was the interactions between players and the NPCs.  Rather than just switch sides because someone else is offering a better deal is just not very interesting.  Morality played a big role in shaping the outcome of quests.  There needs to be more gray than black and white.

I said this numerous times and will do so again - the Destiny video games are a good example of what Heroica 2.0 could have.  It really captivated the whole space magic setting.  The lore is very extensive so for those who are not familiar with it really should listen to a video on it, especially with the Traveler and the Guardians.

And remember that not everything has to be space exclusively.  I am sure there will be many different planets to explore all with different settings.  Time travel could even be a possibility too.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, samurai-turtle said:

You got to think "Heroica" more of a hub area. Not sure if you ever played any of the LEGO Star Wars video games, but they had a hub zone where you could go to a "episode" and then a "chapter".

If you look at "Heroica" it self, originally it was just a couple of LEGO set(s) of a board game(s). But then @Sandy took the name and put some faux D&D rules to the forum game (or version one). Then their was some talk of a space version of Heroica (1.0) when the first version got cleared up, it was later that version two got some more talk to what to do, and even later (right now) is their even some version one rules for Heroica (2.0). 

But having a more generic name (even though their is some sort of history to it) gives a more open end options to the game. Since in the original game everyone was a mercenary. They had the freedom to join one of the three so called faction that was formed up. Even though not to much was ever done with the factions. And I got a feeling the same thing will happen if similar factions happen in the newer version (2.0). 

I've been pretty quiet in this discussion (y'all are doing some great work, I just don't have an eye for mechanics), but I agree here. The beauty of Heroica and its core factions is that there was no prior lore to any of it. They were all names without any real substance or connotations attached to them, and thus could be built up in any direction we wanted. As soon as we start adding 'Blacktron' and 'Space Police' and the like, we're going to feel obliged to keep the connotations of those names largely the same. Heroica worked because there were no expectations, and people with no prior knowledge of LEGO Fantasy could jump in freely. Incorporating real LEGO themes wholesale limits that, and limits the creativity of the DM and the player.  

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

I said this numerous times and will do so again - the Destiny video games are a good example of what Heroica 2.0 could have.  It really captivated the whole space magic setting.  The lore is very extensive so for those who are not familiar with it really should listen to a video on it, especially with the Traveler and the Guardians.

And remember that not everything has to be space exclusively.  I am sure there will be many different planets to explore all with different settings.  Time travel could even be a possibility too.

Part of sort of feels like I am getting pick on but I digress. 

I am not to familiar with Destiny, but the way you describe it kinda sounds similar to what "He-Man and the Masters of Universe". A legendary barbarian hero in a world with advance technology and magic. I also guess you could say the same thing with "Marvel's Thor". 

You mentioned time travel something I haven't thought of.  But at the same time I have a quest idea about the "heros" getting shrunk down to microscope size and basically complete the whole thing in someone's backyard. Now that I think about I did have idea where the "heros" get sent to the future and they are trying to get back their own time. 

13 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Part of sort of feels like I am getting pick on but I digress. 

I am not to familiar with Destiny, but the way you describe it kinda sounds similar to what "He-Man and the Masters of Universe". A legendary barbarian hero in a world with advance technology and magic. I also guess you could say the same thing with "Marvel's Thor". 

You mentioned time travel something I haven't thought of.  But at the same time I have a quest idea about the "heros" getting shrunk down to microscope size and basically complete the whole thing in someone's backyard. Now that I think about I did have idea where the "heros" get sent to the future and they are trying to get back their own time. 

Sort of but in Destiny, the player is a Guardian who are selectively chosen by the Traveler.  They receive a fragment of the Traveler, called a Ghost, to aid them in protecting humanity against outside threats but also the Darkness.  The player has no set background where as some prominent Guardians in the lore do.  There are also three Guardian classes - Titans, Hunters, and Warlocks - with different abilities based on three different “energy” types - Arc, Solar, and Void.

Like I said, it is very extensive but that is just a brief summary of Guardian lore.

Wacky quests like that are what I would like to see every so often.  Not everything has to be super serious.  We could also play around with the idea of alternate realities and dimensions too.  Who knows, maybe in a different reality the Heroes are actually the bad guys.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Some section of the site the post count doesn't add to your total count. The moderating team felt some section was just getting spam to up the post count, so it got changed. The two main sections are "community" and "hello let me induced myself" (if their are other section I am not sure). 

Thanks, samurai-turtle.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:50 AM, KotZ said:

The ranks on EB are just about how many times someone has posted; there's no real meaning to them aside from that.

And as a roleplaying game (or what I hope we'll grow in to), I always love to see new people get interested.

Still is nice to be prompt.

So, with Heroica 2.0 getting a little nearer, I decided to brush off LDD and up the production values just a smidge...

XucBb2a.png

ZChZdk9.png

Don't know how far off we are, but looking forward to the test quest and whatever else is to come.

As a tiny note on world building, I think the world tends to build itself, if this goes anything like Heroica 1.0. So we'll have to wait and see - I know I am a bit excited.