Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

On 7/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, Faladrin said:

Thank you for your welcome.

I was thinking at some General RPG rules like The Basic RPG rules you can find in Chaosium or something similar where you've got the possibility of using the XP and advantages you've got from the former character you played to create a new one. Well it seems insane and crazy in the term of characters but it is using a Player acount as the receiver of the XP and then he can use this XP for other characters in other worlds.

Of course, if I understand you it's not really the objective here. After all, a big mash up of themes is always hard to build and make cohesive.

That could be interesting, especially if there's no set theme and we're still discussing things, especially with how combat would line up. And I love playtesting various ideas.

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

That could be interesting, especially if there's no set theme and we're still discussing things, especially with how combat would line up. And I love playtesting various ideas.

With no theme set, it's easier to write the rules and then apply a theme for a short scenario after having built the general game mechanics.

If you want to stay to Heroica style RPG and keep a character it's still a possibility you play a Time or Theme traveller. In LEGO it's frequent to see such themes and it eases the character build. For example, be inspired by some good old "Valerian et Laureline" comic books (The books, not the outrageous film Besson made...) you can totally have a Sci Fi Pilot associated with a Medieval Rogue Girl and see them trevelling through time...

We can even, as it's LEGO, go to something like The Lego Movie or to the Videogame "Lego Universe" too !

That's what is really convenient with our dear bricks... Themes can intertwine easily !

On 7/16/2019 at 4:46 AM, Faladrin said:

With no theme set, it's easier to write the rules and then apply a theme for a short scenario after having built the general game mechanics.

If you want to stay to Heroica style RPG and keep a character it's still a possibility you play a Time or Theme traveller. In LEGO it's frequent to see such themes and it eases the character build. For example, be inspired by some good old "Valerian et Laureline" comic books (The books, not the outrageous film Besson made...) you can totally have a Sci Fi Pilot associated with a Medieval Rogue Girl and see them trevelling through time...

We can even, as it's LEGO, go to something like The Lego Movie or to the Videogame "Lego Universe" too !

That's what is really convenient with our dear bricks... Themes can intertwine easily !

Oof, don't remind me of that movie...

I'll try to have an idea for a quest written up this weekend to see what people think.

Edited by KotZ

On 7/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, KotZ said:

Oof, don't remind me of that movie...

I'll try to have an idea for a quest written up this weekend to see what people think.

Haha ! Not a really good movie :laugh: you can skip it. But the French Comics are quite good even if a bit old now...

I'll look forward to see what you'll write then.

Been lurking for a few days and I want to throw in my two cents.

I still think that a Science-Fiction and Fantasy hybrid is a great theme to go for.  There are many possibilities for quests and adventures in new environments.

I personally have no knowledge or insight on game mechanics, I prefer writing and storytelling.  However, I really like the idea of Proficiencies.  In the small amount of quests I participated in, I loved interacting with the environment and NPCs.  Dungeons and Dragons I think does it the best but certain video games do it quite nicely, like Fallout and Oblivion. Just an example here: Strength - affects Melee Weapon damage, Intimidation, and interacting with specific objects.

If you guys want help or ideas with writing the story for Heroica 2.0, let me know.  I will gladly help out.  The idea I had in mind is that the guild disbands because the world is finally brought to peace the need for a Hero’s assistance was no longer needed.  Technology began to advance so people could pursue adventures, just like what the original Heroes did.  People began to explore new worlds and colonize.  The peace is eventually disturbed and new threats begin to arise.  Someone reestablishes the Heroes Guild to restore peace like the Heroes of old.  

It is a rough idea but hopefully it helps with the Prologue.  As for what the threats are, they could be anything.  Factions we know of that become corrupted and sinister or something new entirely.  I also have more ideas for things, like the Hall itself.  It could be called the Heroica Hub and is a space station so people from different planets can get there more easily.

Edited by Goliath

On 7/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, Faladrin said:

Haha ! Not a really good movie :laugh: you can skip it. But the French Comics are quite good even if a bit old now...

I'll look forward to see what you'll write then.

I saw it in theatres. It was... something...

On 7/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, Goliath said:

Been lurking for a few days and I want to throw in my two cents.

I still think that a Science-Fiction and Fantasy hybrid is a great theme to go for.  There are many possibilities for quests and adventures in new environments.

I personally have no knowledge or insight on game mechanics, I prefer writing and storytelling.  However, I really like the idea of Proficiencies.  In the small amount of quests I participated in, I loved interacting with the environment and NPCs.  Dungeons and Dragons I think does it the best but certain video games do it quite nicely, like Fallout and Oblivion. Just an example here: Strength - affects Melee Weapon damage, Intimidation, and interacting with specific objects.

If you guys want help or ideas with writing the story for Heroica 2.0, let me know.  I will gladly help out.  The idea I had in mind is that the guild disbands because the world is finally brought to peace the need for a Hero’s assistance was no longer needed.  Technology began to advance so people could pursue adventures, just like what the original Heroes did.  People began to explore new worlds and colonize.  The peace is eventually disturbed and new threats begin to arise.  Someone reestablishes the Heroes Guild to restore peace like the Heroes of old.  

It is a rough idea but hopefully it helps with the Prologue.  As for what the threats are, they could be anything.  Factions we know of that become corrupted and sinister or something new entirely.  I also have more ideas for things, like the Hall itself.  It could be called the Heroica Hub and is a space station so people from different planets can get there more easily.

So since I've been traveling for work, I've had no time to do anything, be it write for EB/Heroica, write for personal/professional development/enjoyment, build sets/mocs, breathe, eat, etc. So finally today I got back home (for a few days) and bought a few sets to reward myself (3/4 were Ninjago). And there's some great minifigure pieces for a sci-fantasy idea, such as the NV goggles from 70638 Katana V11. From various sets, parts, etc., just a throwaway idea for a one-off quest would be similar to the time traveler idea Faladrin threw out (especially since playtesting ideas is important right now), would be of a magic device gathering people from various backgrounds for a single quest. Say a space person, a knight-like figure, a monster, and a regular "real world" person. They could then choose what proficiencies/abilities they would like for the quest, knowing just the synopsis and then deal with the effects/consequences as the quest goes on.

Quest Idea Proposal: A Merging of Times

Four heroes: Jacob the Spaceman, Alaric the knight, Bentley the adventurer, and Christy the townsperson come together thanks to a magical orb that has called them to defeat the evil Nogel. Their quest takes them on an adventure through their respective times to keep Nogel from destroying the fabric of Brickdom forever. 

Rules: I would be using the proficiency system that’s been floated earlier. 

Weapons/Armor would use the trifecta system we’ve discussed, and actions would come from the dice pool. I will say some proficiencies would work to help boost weapon and armor defenses for the pool. A character could o my use a weapon type of they’ve spec into it.

Something I want to add would be a stat that could be leveled up to give a boost to failures. If a player chooses, it would allow a player to use a free positive dice to a roll (chosen pre-roll) to make a failure turn to a win. This stat would not reset, even if a character “levels up” until the entire quest has ended. Players could then state if they are worried about a roll before it happens if they will use it. If it’s positive, the point is not used. The stat points could be used to add up as well. 

Items would not be as powerful as Heroica’s. I’m thinking like a weaker potion, ether, etc.

Which leads me to magical abilities. These would fall under the trifecta of weapons for attacks. But other than that, magic things (like illusions, and other non combat abilities, like tech and even non magical abilities) take Action points, which can be leveled up and replenished by items. An action requires a dice roll and automatically takes up however many action points required, even if the action fails.

weapons and ranges are something I am concerned about. I think having Close and Ranged works. Close would have 100% chance hitting close and 50% hitting back row. Same for vice versa. Magical weapons work 100%on the opposite row, and 50% on the same row% of the targeted enemy.

Thoughts, anyone?

10 hours ago, KotZ said:

Four heroes: Jacob the Spaceman, Alaric the knight, Bentley the adventurer, and Christy the townsperson come together thanks to a magical orb that has called them to defeat the evil Nogel. Their quest takes them on an adventure through their respective times to keep Nogel from destroying the fabric of Brickdom forever. 

Weapons/Armor would use the trifecta system we’ve discussed, and actions would come from the dice pool. I will say some proficiencies would work to help boost weapon and armor defenses for the pool. A character could o my use a weapon type of they’ve spec into it.

Something I want to add would be a stat that could be leveled up to give a boost to failures. If a player chooses, it would allow a player to use a free positive dice to a roll (chosen pre-roll) to make a failure turn to a win. This stat would not reset, even if a character “levels up” until the entire quest has ended. Players could then state if they are worried about a roll before it happens if they will use it. If it’s positive, the point is not used. The stat points could be used to add up as well. 

Items would not be as powerful as Heroica’s. I’m thinking like a weaker potion, ether, etc.

Which leads me to magical abilities. These would fall under the trifecta of weapons for attacks. But other than that, magic things (like illusions, and other non combat abilities, like tech and even non magical abilities) take Action points, which can be leveled up and replenished by items. An action requires a dice roll and automatically takes up however many action points required, even if the action fails.

weapons and ranges are something I am concerned about. I think having Close and Ranged works. Close would have 100% chance hitting close and 50% hitting back row. Same for vice versa. Magical weapons work 100%on the opposite row, and 50% on the same row% of the targeted enemy.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think for a Test Quest it is a fine idea.  It should help with what works and does not work in term of mechanics.

I was also thinking the same thing with Guns and Bows too.  I am concerned about Explosive Weapons though.  Assuming they act with a similar mechanic, how will missed shots work?  Will there be zero damage dealt every time or will there be chances where some damage is dealt because of splash damage?  I definitely think that a successful hit on a target should deal some splash damage.  This system could instead be tied to Explosive Weapons as an effect to prevent it from being overpowered.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, KotZ said:

Thoughts, anyone?

That's a good start to try some mechanics and see what works and what doesn't.

Magic weapons are not a real problem because they can follow the main (non magical) weapons rules but some passive abilities could be difficult to render such as a magical shield or a passive boost for strength for example. Those special abilities will probably need some arrengement and be carefully treated.

A quest test is the best way to see if these rules work.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, Faladrin said:

That's a good start to try some mechanics and see what works and what doesn't.

Magic weapons are not a real problem because they can follow the main (non magical) weapons rules but some passive abilities could be difficult to render such as a magical shield or a passive boost for strength for example. Those special abilities will probably need some arrengement and be carefully treated.

A quest test is the best way to see if these rules work.

I think I'm still use to that concept of ether from H1 for magic, but yeah, passive abilities (for all classes) would be a challenge.

Anyone else is more than welcome to throw ideas in.

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

I think I'm still use to that concept of ether from H1 for magic, but yeah, passive abilities (for all classes) would be a challenge.

Anyone else is more than welcome to throw ideas in.

What about passive abilities or character traits depending on your race?  For example, you are playing as a Reptile-based humanoid and your Racial Bonus is Regenerate. It could either restore +1 HP each round or restore you to full HP after each battle.

Stuff like that could be fun and make your character feel a bit more unique.

15 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

I'm just looking for quests to accomplish. So, uh how about space mercenaries?

We're still (if this is going to happen, which I really hope it does) in very early planning. I'm hoping I can have some actual good playtest ideas mid next month.

3 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

Sounds medieval. All I can do then is tell you @KotZ that for space mercenaries it's really simple really - All we need to do is create a Support Ship. I'm sure the imagination will be marvelous.

Oh I assure you the imagination on EB is not a problem, just look through any of the Heroica quests that were run and the story arcs. The issue really is the mechanics of the game. Especially in keeping it simple and balanced.

Well, @KotZ, space mercenaries would generally be the same thing but with factions. But let's not bring up other lego themes like starwars just because I'm starting on space mercenaries.

As I said it'll be simple. Land forces get rough at some point and no one really seems to want a global war- after all.. the money would be gone. And that implementation for mercenaries is proud.  Space mercenaries would have been from Army's, Navy's and other militaries that were slaying giant monstrous creatures. The defence of attacking the creatures was to have the best military at defeating the creatures- the rest would repopulate planets for this epic war forever. That one military would faction up over time creating masses of wealth and extra explicit manufacturing. That one military kept up with the repopulation of planets and called upon militaries they liked and those became the first space mercenaries.

Then those mercenaries created factions of their own to hold the jurisdiction of space mercenaries through the quantum dimensions and then vsing Inter-Dimensional Beings can occur. Those could of been a time lost to the creatures and are waging war through chaos, space mercenaries that got sent through the wrong hyper space travel route conquered the creatures very beginning and then slaughtered some alien race that tried to use magic/or there was a magic uprising and a wormhole opened up to our dimension to where chaos further ensued in a never ending space mercenary fulfillment, insurrectionists tried to rise from the militaries to abandon the war against the creatures and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't really know where to be for the delegations of a medieval theme, though. I am a Viper Knight not a Viper Marauder. Overlord or die. That's 999 posts over 500 and then quit, having chronicled my level and achievements into my DISCORD like the Master Knight. Sehahhehhaha "paragon".

14 minutes ago, Viper Knight said:

Well, @KotZ, space mercenaries would generally be the same thing but with factions. But let's not bring up other lego themes like starwars just because I'm starting on space mercenaries.

As I said it'll be simple. Land forces get rough at some point and no one really seems to want a global war- after all.. the money would be gone. And that implementation for mercenaries is proud.  Space mercenaries would have been from Army's, Navy's and other militaries that were slaying giant monstrous creatures. The defence of attacking the creatures was to have the best military at defeating the creatures- the rest would repopulate planets for this epic war forever. That one military would faction up over time creating masses of wealth and extra explicit manufacturing. That one military kept up with the repopulation of planets and called upon militaries they liked and those became the first space mercenaries.

Then those mercenaries created factions of their own to hold the jurisdiction of space mercenaries through the quantum dimensions and then vsing Inter-Dimensional Beings can occur. Those could of been a time lost to the creatures and are waging war through chaos, space mercenaries that got sent through the wrong hyper space travel route conquered the creatures very beginning and then slaughtered some alien race that tried to use magic/or there was a magic uprising and a wormhole opened up to our dimension to where chaos further ensued in a never ending space mercenary fulfillment, insurrectionists tried to rise from the militaries to abandon the war against the creatures and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't really know where to be for the delegations of a medieval theme, though. I am a Viper Knight not a Viper Marauder. Overlord or die. That's 999 posts over 500 and then quit, having chronicled my level and achievements into my DISCORD like the Master Knight. Sehahhehhaha "paragon".

We're (on EB as a whole) not even close to anything of a storyline for a Heroica 2.0. Really just mechanics and hopefully playtesting. I'm working on refining some ideas tonight and hopefully will have something soon to really share. My earlier idea was (is) clunky.

1 minute ago, Viper Knight said:

Understood. Hrmm, say Duke @KotZ could I just play my knight in any location on Eurobricks? Without having to join like an Extremist.

Not really sure what you're meaning by that. Eurobricks as a whole isn't an RPG, just this subforum (which for the time being has ended). There's other subforums on here that have RPG-like building games (like the medieval themed Historica, sci-fi Andromeda's Gates, or the modern-day war game themed The Great Brick War) that allow roleplaying and building at the same time.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:28 AM, KotZ said:

We're (on EB as a whole) not even close to anything of a storyline for a Heroica 2.0. Really just mechanics and hopefully playtesting. I'm working on refining some ideas tonight and hopefully will have something soon to really share. My earlier idea was (is) clunky.

I am working also on some ideas and if I find some time, I will probably post a first raw play test soon. I hope...

I am heading towards really simplier mechanics, with dungeon crawlng aspect and a mix of many LEGO themes to open the access to more SF styled players.

Well, in my paper it gives something between Dice dungeon (the video game) and Time stories (the board game).

18 hours ago, Faladrin said:

I am working also on some ideas and if I find some time, I will probably post a first raw play test soon. I hope...

I am heading towards really simplier mechanics, with dungeon crawlng aspect and a mix of many LEGO themes to open the access to more SF styled players.

Well, in my paper it gives something between Dice dungeon (the video game) and Time stories (the board game).

Interesting. I need to look into those. I know @Kintobor popped into the other thread and said there were some ideas they had.

7 hours ago, KotZ said:

Interesting. I need to look into those. I know @Kintobor popped into the other thread and said there were some ideas they had.

Here it is !

The first raw text to create a little bit of lore :

You are entering in a great bright hall full of blue lights and mainly decorated with screens and buttons. It is strange to your eyes because, as a LEGO adventurer, you've never seen such a technology before.

You're welcomed by a strange techy guy wearing blue outfits from another time (or another Theme). He seems worry and is not at joy.

He is greeting you by these words :

"Welcome travellers !

You've been recruited amongst all the different LEGO World Themes because we are in need of Heroes !

For now, you're just "newbie" but I am sure that soon, you'll be the brightest Heroes of the agency !

Well, I hope..."

He pauses his speech, just the time to observe at you and your future coworkers.

He seems more worried than ever and continues :

"We are The Agency, the main group in LEGO World surveying all the Themes in our world. We are in need of new crews to discover what is happening to the LEGO Themes.

We recently observed errors and bridges between the LEGO Themes that were never known and it is becoming enoying because some dangerous outlaws from different Themes used them to bring chaos in the LEGO World !"

He is making another pause... More for its dramatic purpose...

"We've been recruiting you to be part of our new exploring crew and we are counting on you to repair the damages the outlaws could have done.

And if you can find a way to seal or repair the bridges between the Theme we cannot control, it would be better."

Then he is pursuing lower :

"But I'll not count on it for now... Newbies... Pfff"

This is on this hopeless murmured words you are diriged towards a computer terminal were some kind of robot is giving your instructions...

The next part is more to clarify the new rules sytem.

And I think I can achieve a tech/magic thing without having to bother much of passive abilities.

Well, it will be very rough at the beginning, I am not even sure if it's well balanced.

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think of this idea.

So I guess a good question is whether folks want the ability to free-form create their character based on a proficiency system or whether they want everything tied to a class/race system.