Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

Well I can't say I didn't expect that.

@Goliath and @samurai-turtle, you should attack Trooper A. There's not much else you can do from over there. @Kintobor, @Classic_Spaceman, @KotZ, you might as well attack the captain while she's over there. I'm going to try to teleport Dunola out of harm's way as they're the most fragile, but be warned that the captain could potentially kill anyone over there in a single hit.

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

So I decided to redownload LDD and it is definitely going to take some time getting used to!  It kind of sucks that not every LEGO asset is available in it so that was a bummer.  I just messed around with it quickly and came up with an idea how my character could look.  Though unfortunately the pieces I used are not found in metallic colors but basically I just used the new skeleton pieces and made them metallic gray.  I could not exactly put the "head" on but it is basically just one cylinder brick with two round 1x1 plates on top.  Maybe @Endgame has a solution? :grin:  Otherwise I could easily just get the pieces in the gray color them come in and just go off that or go with a brick built version.

Extended mode has more parts and allows you to do any color. If you want, you could also try Stud.io (I've started using it for rendering instead of building). That has access to I think most of Bricklink's inventory and still allows recolors and decals, including custom.

5 hours ago, Endgame said:

MM Note: @Classic_Spaceman, is everything alright?

@Endgame: I am OK - I have just been having a busy week! Thank you for checking, though. ?

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

@Endgame @Kintobor I am not sure if it is even in her inventory but couldn't she use the "super potion" on the enemies to poison them... This plan might be kinda risky but it might work in the long-term. 

If Super Plasma Potions could be used on enemies (which I am not sure that they can), it would completely restore their health, in addition to poisoning them, so this would probably not be a good strategy! 

3 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

@Kintobor, @Classic_Spaceman, @KotZ, you might as well attack the captain while she's over there. I'm going to try to teleport Dunola out of harm's way as they're the most fragile, but be warned that the captain could potentially kill anyone over there in a single hit.

If you plan to teleport someone, you should target the Captain, not Dunola, to move her out of melee range. I will try casting Obfuscate (though I am not sure what, exactly, it does). 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

If you plan to teleport someone, you should target the Captain, not Dunola, to move her out of melee range. I will try casting Obfuscate (though I am not sure what, exactly, it does). 

See my comment in the quest thread. And I think Obfuscate is an illusion spell of some description so I think you'd have to describe the illusion you're casting and what effect you want it to have. Also, your character has no points in Arcana, Nature, Religion, or Occult so you can't cast Obfuscate to begin with.

Also, since this is the second time you've responded to something I've said out-of-character in character I think I need to explain and demonstrate the format my posts use:

Whenever Lord Duvors has posted in an in character topic using the third-person past tense that has been an in character description of his character's actions and emotional state. Occasionally this has also given insight into the character's thoughts from an outside perspective. "When something is contained by quotation marks that indicates something that the character has actually said. If something isn't contained in quotation marks then it wasn't stated verbally in any capacity."

Lord Duvors will write in italics with occasional bolded words in the future tense using terse language to describe his character's actions in a mechanical sense. Such statements will be out-of-character.

Spoiler

Spoilers are generally reserved for conversational out-of-character remarks or questions to avoid cluttering up the thread.

This is an experimental format and I'm not surprised it's difficult to follow. Honestly though, given how useful being able to use this topic for out-of-character conversations has been I'm starting to wonder if each quest should have an associated group PM for out-of-character conversations. Not sure how well that would work though.

6 hours ago, Goliath said:

So I decided to redownload LDD and it is definitely going to take some time getting used to!  It kind of sucks that not every LEGO asset is available in it so that was a bummer.  I just messed around with it quickly and came up with an idea how my character could look.  Though unfortunately the pieces I used are not found in metallic colors but basically I just used the new skeleton pieces and made them metallic gray.  I could not exactly put the "head" on but it is basically just one cylinder brick with two round 1x1 plates on top.  Maybe @Endgame has a solution? :grin:  Otherwise I could easily just get the pieces in the gray color them come in and just go off that or go with a brick built version.

Mecabricks is another program for digital building that allows for techniques other programs don't and has an associated blender add-on for making renders with. Somethings to keep in mind however is that it works very differently to LDD and Stud.io, doesn't have Lego's complete parts catalogue, and it allows part clipping by design. That last one might be something of a dealbreaker.

Edited by Lord Duvors

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

Extended mode has more parts and allows you to do any color. If you want, you could also try Stud.io (I've started using it for rendering instead of building). That has access to I think most of Bricklink's inventory and still allows recolors and decals, including custom.

23 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Mecabricks is another program for digital building that allows for techniques other programs don't and has an associated blender add-on for making renders with. Somethings to keep in mind however is that it works very differently to LDD and Stud.io, doesn't have Lego's complete parts catalogue, and it allows part clipping by design. That last one might be something of a dealbreaker.

I have never heard of either programs, thank you both for the suggestions! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

Whenever Lord Duvors has posted in an in character topic using the third-person past tense that has been an in character description of his character's actions and emotional state. Occasionally this has also given insight into the character's thoughts from an outside perspective. "When something is contained by quotation marks that indicates something that the character has actually said. If something isn't contained in quotation marks then it wasn't stated verbally in any capacity."

Lord Duvors will write in italics with occasional bolded words in the future tense using terse language to describe his character's actions in a mechanical sense. Such statements will be out-of-character.

Responding to battle actions is a little bit less meta-gamey, because it's possible to see the intention of someone and ask them about their course of action (e.g. if Enson was pointing a blaster at Trooper A, it'd be relatively obvious), but yes, still important distinctions to consider. :thumbup:

The absolutely 100% guaranteed way would be to say something like "Enson, were you intending to <teleport person X to space Y, Z?> I think you should..." In general, I strongly encourage in-character discussion of battle strategy! It's a good team-building thing and it helps show aspects of your character you can't show anywhere else.

And yes, I'd prefer to keep proficiency checks out of combat for now, because we lack a fair way of doing it... something to revisit.

57 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I have never heard of either programs, thank you both for the suggestions! :thumbup:

They all have learning curves, but to be fair, so does LDD. Pick whatever tool you feel most comfortable with! As was pointed out before, if you swap to LDD's extended mode, you gain access to a much bigger palette for every single brick in the database. As a warning, the most recent version of LDD (which came out a while ago, because LDD has been depreciated...) has less parts than its predecessor! :wacko: So make sure what version you're using is the "good" one.

I've been using LDD to Povray to render my builds for this mission, as well as apply custom decals. The main custom decals have been the Cydonian insignia, but Trip's face and Ophaniel's legs are also custom.

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Endgame: I am OK - I have just been having a busy week! Thank you for checking, though. ?

Glad everything is alright!

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

@Endgame @Kintobor I am not sure if it is even in her inventory but couldn't she use the "super potion" on the enemies to poison them... This plan might be kinda risky but it might work in the long-term. 

@Classic_Spaceman @KotZ @Goliath @Lord Duvors

I would certainly allow that, and that would've been a good move at the start of battle. Up to you to weigh the pros and cons now. :wink: (Poison will do 1 damage per turn.)

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Endgame: I . ?

If Super Plasma Potions could be used on enemies (which I am not sure that they can), it would completely restore their health, in addition to poisoning them, so this would probably not be a good strategy! 

Did you not see where I said it was risky? *huh* Plus, it is not like they (or two of them) are under half health at this time. Now I am not even sure if "Dunola" could use this strategy right now. :shrug_confused: 

20 minutes ago, Endgame said:

I would certainly allow that, and that would've been a good move at the start of battle. Up to you to weigh the pros and cons now. :wink: (Poison will do 1 damage per turn.)

:wall: Now I wished I did bring it up earlier, when I thought of it at first. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Spelling

A full heal will become very valuable the longer you hold onto them, keep in mind. One day they'll be five times as effective as a Plasma Potion.... in about two years or so. :tongue:

Also, since this is the second time you've responded to something I've said out-of-character in character I think I need to explain and demonstrate the format my posts use:

15 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Responding to battle actions is a little bit less meta-gamey, because it's possible to see the intention of someone and ask them about their course of action (e.g. if Enson was pointing a blaster at Trooper A, it'd be relatively obvious), but yes, still important distinctions to consider. :thumbup:

The absolutely 100% guaranteed way would be to say something like "Enson, were you intending to <teleport person X to space Y, Z?> I think you should..." In general, I strongly encourage in-character discussion of battle strategy! It's a good team-building thing and it helps show aspects of your character you can't show anywhere else.

OK. I had responded to the battle-action, instead of asking, since I did not want to tie up the battle with a question to which I already knew the answer. I agree that in-character strategising is a good idea, however. ?

See my comment in the quest thread. And I think Obfuscate is an illusion spell of some description so I think you'd have to describe the illusion you're casting and what effect you want it to have. Also, your character has no points in Arcana, Nature, Religion, or Occult so you can't cast Obfuscate to begin with.

@Endgame: Is this true? I was under the impression that these Proficiencies were something added (similar to weapon Proficiencies). 

@Endgame I did notice something with the items during this battle, someone stated use x item then "like attack" in the same round. Am I missing something here, I thought using an item took an entire round. Is it just certain items that you can do  that with, or could I use an item and then move. 

When spell-casting, the proficiency isn't added to anything. So if you don't have the proper proficiency at level 2 or above, you're out of luck.

Energy Cells and Shield Boosters can be used in conjunction with an attack action. All other items, unless noted otherwise, will consume a turn.

6 minutes ago, Endgame said:

When spell-casting, the proficiency isn't added to anything. So if you don't have the proper proficiency at level 2 or above, you're out of luck.

Ah. OK. 
This is something that needs to be rectified for the finalised game! 

14 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

That is my go to for digital LEGO building.  I really like that it's online so I don't have to install anything and I can access it from any computer.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, Endgame said:

To be honest I would normally describe a battle strategy in character, it's just that @Goliath started strategizing in this thread and I followed suit. Partly because I wanted to keep my posts relatively short and uncluttered and partly because I wasn't sure it was entirely in Enson's character. In future however I'll probably go back to my old way of doing it.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

OK. I had responded to the battle-action, instead of asking, since I did not want to tie up the battle with a question to which I already knew the answer. I agree that in-character strategising is a good idea, however. ?

Good, just wanted to make sure the distinction was clear.

Also, a little tip. When you go to write a comment the bar at the top has a little smiley face. If you click on it it brings up a selection of emoticons and then you just click on the one you want and it adds it to the post.

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

To be honest I would normally describe a battle strategy in character, it's just that @Goliath started strategizing in this thread and I followed suit. Partly because I wanted to keep my posts relatively short and uncluttered and partly because I wasn't sure it was entirely in Enson's character. In future however I'll probably go back to my old way of doing it.

Sorry about that, I thought it was best at the time rather than everyone having conflicting opinions, "you do this" "no you do that."  That sort of thing during battle.

Also I feel like throwing my two cents in about actions.  As a melee user, I am not a fan of the current system because by the time I get in range of the enemies the battle will probably be over.  I honestly have no solutions for Heroica 2.0 other than making certain actions count as half actions such as moving and swapping equipment.  So in one round I could move two spaces, move one space and change a piece of equipment, or change both my weapon and armor.  I cannot think of anything else but it feels like the teleportation spell is practically a must for a melee build.  I understand the system we have now but it just is not very melee friendly, especially when you have enemies teleporting around.  But hopefully scenarios like this are few and far between.

Yep, I winced when I saw that Trooper A was dead and half the party ended up in no man's land. Tester-Three and Enson are at least a move away from being able to do something,  but Igaz is unfortunately caught in No-Man's Land.

I will have to think of a way to make a pure Melee build functional... at least, without spells.

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

Yep, I winced when I saw that Trooper A was dead and half the party ended up in no man's land. Tester-Three and Enson are at least a move away from being able to do something,  but Igaz is unfortunately caught in No-Man's Land.

I will have to think of a way to make a pure Melee build functional... at least, without spells.

To be honest I feel that the weapon-based movement adjustments you suggested earlier seem a perfectly acceptable solution.

I mean, this is why we're running the test quest: to find bugs and fix them. I'd rather address issues in the system now, then later. :thumbup:

@Endgame, why wasn't the Captain's Plasma Pike amongst the loot? It's listed as part of her drops but I don't see it anywhere.

@Endgame, why wasn't the Captain's Plasma Pike amongst the loot? It's listed as part of her drops but I don't see it anywhere.

Memory lapse... 

I was wondering, was their any talk about a "marketplace" like in the "last game". 

Plus, I was also thinking their should be some sort of "mini games". Mostly to help skittish "mission masters" get some confidence running things. What I was thinking maybe get the "old arena" running again. For examples player versus player; or player versus a random generated enemy (or the player picks from a list of enemies). And most likely get a couple of different people run the "mini game". And if you win x number of games you get a potion (I guess). Hopefully we could get a couple more "mini games" running too. 

3 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Memory lapse... 

I was wondering, was their any talk about a "marketplace" like in the "last game". 

Plus, I was also thinking their should be some sort of "mini games". Mostly to help skittish "mission masters" get some confidence running things. What I was thinking maybe get the "old arena" running again. For examples player versus player; or player versus a random generated enemy (or the player picks from a list of enemies). And most likely get a couple of different people run the "mini game". And if you win x number of games you get a potion (I guess). Hopefully we could get a couple more "mini games" running too. 

Memory lapse is indeed the correct answer. :blush:

There will indeed be some form of marketplace - has to be a palce to spend their credits. This particular game is way better suited to an Arena, because almost every battle is PVP anyway. That being said, running these side things is hard, because they still require a lot of time and effort from mission masters. We'll see how things shape up.

@Endgame, a quick question. How does multiple characters pooling their dice into a single check work? It's mentioned in the rules but it's not elaborated on very deeply.

8 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

@Endgame, a quick question. How does multiple characters pooling their dice into a single check work? It's mentioned in the rules but it's not elaborated on very deeply.

As far as I can tell, it is confined to two specific actions: Rally and Defend, which make use of Skill and Smarts to determine how many dice get added to the pool.

Also, well, that's just about it for Mission Zero, Mission Zero'ers! Tomorrow will be the full ending, but you can pat yourselves on the backs and call it a job well done for now.

55 minutes ago, Endgame said:

As far as I can tell, it is confined to two specific actions: Rally and Defend, which make use of Skill and Smarts to determine how many dice get added to the pool.

I'm not talking about that, I'm referring to the bit at the end of the Dice Pool section in the rules that states 'For some checks, multiple players may contribute dice into a single pool, however the maximum standard dice pool is ten.' I bring this up for two reasons.

One, the way it's worded and it's placement seem to imply that this statement applies to all forms of checks and that it constitutes multiple players making the same check and contributing their combined successes into a single number. The Rally and Defend actions seem to be different things entirely.

Two, it gives that impression that such combined checks may allow players to exceed the standard dice pool. However this is vague due to poor formatting and lack of clarification.

Edited by Lord Duvors