Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

4 hours ago, The Legonater said:

The problem was the bestiary was never really updated, and every QM liked creating their own races and cultures (fingers pointed at myself, too :blush:). Apart from broadening an already wide array of creatures, this meant that some established races never really got the development that they deserved. 

With such a wide array of types of figures that can be made, this is sort of inevitable. That said, I think if we put a great emphasis on deepening our world rather than expanding it this time, we could have some cool results. A 'new race' doesn't necessarily have to be 'new' as much as it can be an offshoot of what we already have, thereby deepening the lore of the original race. 

38 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

That gets an add-on at least once every three years. :tongue:

I'm all for a roster of enemies to pick and choose from, but we should allow wiggle room for creativity in enemy designs. Strike teams from an alien army might have different gear and abilities than the standard soldier found in the bestiary.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you.

Some more figbarfing for ideas and lore. Jumping super far ahead of coure, but some creativity and not just rules.

img_3035.jpg
An engineer-styled character

img_3036.jpg
Heavy soldier with a short-range gun.

img_3037.jpg
Alien heavy spellcaster. Supposedly a boss of some sort.

img_3038.jpg
The Order of Bona Partes; acolyte and master. The Order is ancient, dedicated to teaching navigation of the stars with magic working in tandem with technology. They own a great multitude of ships, usually loaned out for private tours dedicated to showing off the mystical arts, as well as providing ships for the Galactic Confederation's navy. Acolytes are taken in at a young age to hone their technological skills at an early age and then later on devote their studies to the mystic arts.

img_3039.jpg
Galactic Confederation soldiers; commander and light infantry. The Galactic Confederation is a splintered group. Yet the one thing the various parties agree is necessary is an armed force to protect the government, mainly its officials. Commanders have risen through the ranks or have purchased commisions thanks to family ties. Soldiers are volunteers, hoping to earn their way up in the ranks orescape their homeworlds. Despite various parties' attempts at a homogenous force, the military does an effective job at integrating the various alien species present in the galaxy.

Edited by KotZ

I don't know if it's the spring energy or what, but I have a really bad craving for roleplaying right now. :grin: My head is brimming with ideas and they keep returning back to Heroica.

Obviously many things have to change if there's ever going to be a similar phenomenon here, and honestly I don't know if the current active users of Eurobricks would even support such an endeavour, but it's a nice thought to entertain. :blush:

It would be a shame if I never got to use my huge collection of fantasy minifigs and sets again, either.

Perhaps there's some small-scale solution we could try out... I can't promise another five years of my life, but I can offer the aforementioned collection and my vast experience and knowledge about boardgame, videogame and - obviously - forum-based rpgs.

The question remains, is there still interest in another roleplaying experience in EB?

More roleplaying is always something I'm interested in. A small-scale game or something could be interesting. A focused spin-off maybe?

Great to see people still following this subforum. :grin: 

Okay, I have a few ideas we could try out:

One is a traditional dungeon crawler, a la Heroquest. One person is the DM and other players form a party. Since this is a lego forum, we could use perimeters offered by our beloved bricks (just like in BrickQuest ). The group could make up stats and job classes and the DM would build a dungeon with monsters for the others to explore. Then it'd be just a matter of getting the dice rolling!

Another option would be a more story-driven, choose-your-own-adventure thing. The host would make up a situation for the players to be in - preferably accompanied by a MOC - and the players could make choices for their own characters. There wouldn't be much rules but of course the host and the setting would dictate what is possible. This could be for example a post-apocalyptic romp or set in a space station. (I've tried out this sort of storytelling here on EB before, but not with players.)

What do you make out of these ideas? They would both be one-off things with potential for becoming repeating (just like the Mafia games).

Oh man, I haven't heard BrickQuest in a looooong time. I'm fine with trying anything.

And I check this subforum nearly every day! It's like looking in the fridge, seeing nothing new, and then checking it again five minutes later.

I would have a bash at some more hero questing! 

One thing I was pondering once, while sorting parts:

15624.jpg?1

This part from Juniors always sparks desire to create a roleplaying dungeon. Each part is wonderful.

Well, I'm sold on Heroquest. :laugh:

Seriously though, I think a dungeon crawl with light roleplaying elements might be fun. :classic: Either that or something akin to the "quests" that other forums have put out which have a protagonist, or a group of protagonists, given commands by forum users to get them through puzzles, social situations, and ultimately try and get them through the adventure.

That man is an international treasure and I want all the HeroQuest things.

I agree with Kinto, be it questing or whatever, I'm there.

9 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Has anyone else played Dungeon World before?

Hmm, I have to check it out...

I already wrote a system for a dungeon romp that might work in a forum-context, based on BrickQuest, but it's your cliched high fantasy theme... I 'd like to come up with something more unique. :blush:

Sci-fi is just not my forte, but I could write something in science-fantasy style (like Star Wars... But not Star Wars itself). :tongue:

10 hours ago, Sandy said:

but I could write something in science-fantasy style (like Star Wars... But not Star Wars itself). :tongue:

My lord, is that... legal?

Here's the rule sheet that I have written. Like I said, it's just "Heroica Lite", with a turn-based combat and exploration elements taken from BrickQuest, and everything trimmed to the bare bones. Let me know what you think! 

DUNGEONS OF HEROICA

A realm of infinite possibilities awaits daring adventurers!

STATISTICS:

Speed shows how many steps the character can move and the order of their turn in combat. Equipment can increase the number. The character with the highest number goes first, and in case of a tie the turn order is randomly selected by the Dungeon Master.

Attack shows how many 6-sided dice the character rolls when attacking. Weapons’ attack power is added to the result. The result of the dice and weapon’s power is compared to the target’s defense roll, and if the number is higher, the target loses health equal to the difference between the rolls.

Defense shows how many 6-sided dice the character rolls when defending. Armor’s defense power is added to the result. If the number is higher than the attacker’s, the defender doesn’t lose health.

Health shows how many hit points the character has. Equipment can increase the amount. If health is reduced to zero, the character dies.

Mana shows how many spell points the character has to use on spells. Equipment can increase the amount. If mana is reduced to zero, the character cannot cast anymore spells

Melee attacks are made to a target standing within one step from the character.

Ranged attacks are made to a target standing two or more steps from the character. Ranged weapons have a specified range of how far they reach.

Element refers to the nature of certain spells and enemies that are twice as effective against one other element and half as effective against another. The four elements are fire, water, air and earth. Fire burns earth, earth suffocates air, air dries water and water extinguishes fire.

RACES:

Each player chooses a race for their character that not only affects their appearance but also their basic statistics. Each race also has a unique trait.

HUMANS

The most versatile race, humans have the most balanced stats and are good at any job. They can make a stronger attack by giving up defense, or prepare to take less damage by weakening their attack.

Speed: 5

Attack: 3

Defense: 3

Health: 12

Mana: 12

Racial Trait: Tactics – Each turn in battle, a human character may decide to take one die from their attack or defense and allocate it to the other. They cannot undo this decision before their turn comes up next time.

ELVES

Elves are fast but physically weak. Each elf is bound to one of nature’s elements: fire, water, air and earth. Their elemental affinity gives them immunity to their own element but weakness towards the opposing element.

Speed: 6

Attack: 2

Defense: 2

Mana: 15

Racial trait: Elemental Affinity – The player chooses one element (fire, water, air and earth) for their elf character. Spells of that element do double damage when cast by the elf, and they are immune to the same element themselves. However, opposing element does double damage to the elf and spells of that element are only half effective.

DWARVES

The diminutive dwarves are slow but tough. Their health and defense are without comparison but speed and magical prowess are poor.

Speed: 3

Defense: 4

Health: 15

Mana: 6

Racial trait: Resistance – If inflicted by a lasting condition such as poison, sleep, blindness or silence, a dwarf character has 50% chance of automatically recovering from them each turn they take.  

ORCS

Orcs are prone to violence and are built to deliver devastating blows. Their high attack is countered by low health and mana. As they deal and receive damage, they build up rage that can be unleashed against their foes.

Speed: 4

Attack: 4

Health: 8

Mana: 8

Racial trait: Rage – An orc character has a special rage counter in their statistics that goes up by one every time they deal or take damage. That counter can be used anytime with a normal attack to boost the attack’s damage by the counter’s number. The counter is then reset.

JOBS:

Each player character has a certain job they specialize in. Each job has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as unique skills only they can utilize.

FIGHTER

Fighters can use all melee weapons well, but ranged weapons poorly. Their defense is bolstered as well.

Attack Bonus: +1 if melee weapon is equipped, -1 if ranged weapon is equipped.

Defense Bonus: +1

Job Skills:

Swing (action) – Fighters can attack all characters standing adjacent to them by swinging their melee weapon. Each target rolls for their own defense. Allied characters are affected by a swing attack as well.

Break (passive) – Fighters can lower their target’s defense by one if their attack roll causes 5 or more damage.

HEALER

Healers can restore weary adventurers with their miraculous powers.

Health Bonus: +3

Mana Bonus: +3

Job Skills:

Heal (action) – Instead of attacking, healers can use any number of their attack dice to restore health to their comrades equal to the roll’s result. The target doesn’t throw defense in that case. Healing costs mana equal to the number of dice used.

Exorcise (passive) – Healers’ attacks cause double damage to undead enemies.

KNIGHT

Bound by duty, the sturdy knights defend their allies from danger.

Defense Bonus: +2

Job Skills:

Cover (action) – By choosing to cover their allies, a knight automatically takes damage instead of any ally standing adjacent to them that gets attacked before the knight’s next turn.

Shield Smash (passive) – If knights roll higher than their attacker when they defend, they cause damage equal to half the difference of the rolls.

RANGER

Opposite of fighters, rangers excel in using ranged weapons like bows and guns. They are not that good in close combat, though.

Attack Bonus: +2 if ranged weapon is equipped, -1 if melee weapon is equipped.

Job Skills:

Aim (action) – Rangers can concentrate their attack on an enemy to cause damage without the target defending. Aiming rangers cannot move on the same turn.

Track Down (passive) – Rangers can track down and follow enemies by finding traces they have left behind.

ROGUE

Rogues make the fastest adventurers and they have a few tricks they can use.

Speed Bonus: +2

Job Skills:

Steal (action) – Rogues can try to steal one item from an enemy. For the attempt, dice are rolled equal to the speed of both the rogue and their target. If the rogue rolls higher, the stealing succeeds.

Backstab (passive) – If a rogue sneaks behind an enemy, they can deal damage without the target being able to defend.

WIZARD

Wizards make the best use of spells with their high mana, but suffer from low attacks.

Attack Bonus: -1

Mana Bonus: +6

Job Skills:

Seal (action) – Wizards can seal or unseal a door or a chest in the dungeon by spending 5 mana. Magically sealed doors and chests cannot be opened. A seal can be elemental, in which case it can only be opened by knowing a spell of the opposing element.

Wisdom (passive) – Wizards always roll one extra die when casting spells that require dice.

ACTIONS:

Jobs have their own actions but all characters can perform the following actions on their adventure.

Move – The character can move to a space within the steps dictated by the character’s speed. Closed doors and obstacles hinder moving. Moving can be combined with any other action on a turn.

Attack – The character can spend a turn attacking an enemy within their weapon’s reach. If an enemy attacks the character, they automatically roll for defense.

Interact – The character can spend a turn to use an object or open an unlocked door or chest within the dungeon.

Pick/Force Lock – If a door or chest is locked by a normal lock, a character can attempt to pick or force it by rolling a die. Rolling 5 or 6 means the actions succeeds.

Search – The character can spend a turn investigating any object or item in the dungeon.

Use/Pick Up/Discard Item – The character can spend a turn to use any items they possess, pick up any items within their reach, or discard items to the ground.

Throw – The character can throw any item they possess 5 steps away from them.

Trade Items – Two or more characters standing next to each other may trade any number of items by spending their turn doing so.

ITEMS:

There are three types of items found in the dungeons: equipment that a character can wear and get bonuses from, consumable items that are spent after they are used, and permanent items such as spell scrolls and treasure that aren’t spent when used but cannot be equipped either.

EQUIPMENT

Equipment falls into one of five categories:

Weapon – Depending on the type, a weapon uses one or two hands, is melee or ranged, and may even have an elemental property, but they always have a designated attack power that is added to the character’s attack roll.

Shield – Shields are used in pair with a one-handed weapon, and they have a defense power that is added to the character’s defense roll.

Headwear – hats, helmets, hoods, etc. that provide bonuses to health and mana

Bodywear – armor, robes, dresses, etc. that provide bonuses to defense

Footwear – shoes, boots, etc. that provide bonuses to speed

CONSUMABLE ITEMS

Examples include:

Potion (Restores 5 health when consumed.)

Ether (Restores 5 mana when consumed.)

Phoenix Essence (Revives a character back to life.)

PERMANENT ITEMS

Examples include:

Spellbook (Contains several spells that the holder can use.)

Shovel (Can be used to dig the ground.)

Gold Ore (Worth 50 gold.)

SPELLS:

All races and jobs can use spells, but elves and wizards excel in them because of their high mana. A character has to have a scroll or a spellbook containing the spell before being able to use it. Spells have no specified range but target of the spell has to be within the line of sight of the caster with nothing or nobody standing in the way.

Enchanted Flame

Mana Cost: 1

Radius: 1

Effect: Creates a bright flame into the air that stays there for 5 turns. Anyone who shares the same space with the flame suffers fire-elemental damage equal to a single die roll.

Fireball

Mana Cost: 3

Radius: 3x3

Effect: An explosive ball of fire causes fire-elemental damage to the target and everyone standing adjacent to them equal to a single die roll.

Icicle

Mana Cost: 2

Effect: A freezing arrow of ice causes water-elemental damage to the target equal to a single die roll.

Waterfall

Mana Cost: 5

Radius: 3x3

Effect: A spout of rushing water causes water-elemental damage to the target and everyone standing adjacent to them equal to the roll of two dice. It also extinguishes any fire within the radius.

Thunderbolt

Radius: 4x4

Effect: A crackling bolt of electricity causes air-elemental damage to the target equal to a single die roll. The bolt deals half damage to other targets within the radius.

Gust of Wind

Mana Cost: 5

Radius: direct line of 7 steps from the caster

Effect: A mighty wind blows straight from the spellcaster, causing air-elemental damage to everyone within radius equal to the roll of two dice and pushing them back as far as possible within the area-of-effect.

Bewitched Vine

Mana Cost: 2

Effect: A thorny vine rises from the ground, causing earth-elemental damage equal to one die roll. The vine traps the target in place, but the target can attack the vine to release themselves on their turn.

Stone Spire

Effect: A pillar of stone rising from the ground causes earth-elemental damage to the target equal to the roll of two dice. Doesn’t affect flying targets.

Dark Cloud

Radius: 2x2

Effect: Has 50% chance to cause blindness to each target within radius for three turns. Blinded characters cannot use physical attacks.

Magic Bubble

Effect: Has a 50% chance to cause silence to the target for three turns. Silenced characters cannot use spells or skills that consume mana.

Teleport

Mana Cost: 8

Radius: caster

Effect: The caster teleports themselves to any point in the dungeon they have previously been.

ENEMIES:

The dungeons are crawling with all sorts of foes for the players to encounter. 

BAT

Defense: 1

Health: 5

Mana: 0

Element: Air

Loot: -

Skills:

Blood Suck (passive) – Each time the bat does damage, it recovers 2 health.

Flying (passive) – The bat is unaffected by traps and terrain hazards.

RAT

Health: 7

Element: -

Skills:

Poison Bite (passive) – Each time the rat does damage, it causes poison condition where the target loses 1 health per turn. The effect is cumulative.

SPIDER

Attack: 1

Health: 4

Element: -

Skills:

Cobweb (action) – The spider creates a cobweb into the ground that causes anyone moving there to cease their turn immediately.

SKELETON

Speed: 1

Health: 10

Element: Earth

Loot: Bone (Can be thrown at enemies to distract them for a turn.)

Skills:

Undead (passive) – The skeleton is immune to poison but takes damage from healing and double damage from exorcism.

@Sandy I dig it.

Regarding a possible H2.0 (water?), I just saw the new trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 came out. I know it's a video game (based off the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG), but maybe it's worth looking into that system and simplifying where necessary?

Okay, here's my attempt to make the dungeon-crawler more science-fantasy themed. If anyone is enthusiastic about helping me with the writing and world-building, I'm open for it, as this theme is really not my forte... :blush:

HEROSTAR
A LEGO SCIENCE-FANTASY RPG

“Three centuries ago, we humans arrived to this planet we call Nova Vesta, in search of a new beginning for our kind. What we found was a new war.

Scientists discovered this Earth-like planet just as our own was falling apart from overpopulation, extreme climate change and scarcity of resources. It was seen as a sign from the heavens, and soon an armada of spaceships were launched, loaded with people and other Earth’s lifeforms. Precious few of these vessels ever reached their destination, and what our forebearers found was unlike anything they could have expected.

As you know, this world is full of an essence known as ether. Our ancestors back in Earth would have called it magic. It makes Nova Vesta an enchanted place, rich with life and energy, but also unpredictable and dangerous. Unlike our ancestors expected, this planet was far from uninhabited. Within the three centuries our kind has spent here, we have found a way to live with the native races of elves, dwarves and orcs here, and even learn how to harness ether to our own use, but our life here is far from harmonious.

These human-based settlements like our own Asterome are the only havens for humankind in this hostile world. The elves fear us, the dwarves exploit us and the orcs despise us – all for a good reason. We are the invaders. We came here to their home with our demands and our ignorance. We have struggled to get a foothold on this planet, and only thanks to our superior technology we have managed to do so. But we must not give up! We must explore this world further and make a home out of it, for there is no going back.

For that reason, I have founded the Herostar Company, where all those seeking a harmonious future are welcome. We need every man and woman we can rally up, and we need to make an ally out of every dwarf, elf, orc and even chimera that we can.

So, with the Herostar gleaming on your chest, set forth and spread peace, prosperity and justice everywhere you go!”

-       Founding speech of Herostar General Victoria LaFaro in 2534 (Earth Year)    

RACES:
All members of the Herostar Company come from one of the most common five sentient races inhabiting Terra Nova. Each race has their own trait and base statistics.

HUMANS

Hailing from another solar system, humans settled to the planet they call Nova Vesta three centuries ago. Harnessing the flow of ether into their machines, the humans created Ethertech that now powers their settlements. After hundreds of years of waging war against orcs and wild monsters, the humans have finally managed to find a fragile balance with the other inhabitants of their new home. 

The humans are the most adaptable and technologically advanced of all races, many having cybernetic augmentations within their bodies. They are good at almost any job they are given.

Base statistics:
Ether: 12

Racial trait: Augmentation - Each turn in battle, a human may decide to take one die from their attack or defense and allocate it to the other. They cannot undo this decision before their turn comes up next time.

ELVES

Named so by humans because of their long ears and slender bodies, the elves call themselves dahnaï, “Nature’s Children”. Elves usually live in small primitive tribes in harmony with the nature, but recently they have become more curious of interacting with the other races.

Elves are born tuned to their natural environment: forest, plain, sea or desert. They channel the ether flow from their native element, which makes them strong in their own environment while weak in others. Elves are also agile but physically weak.

Base statistics:
Ether: 15

Racial trait: Elemental Affinity – The player chooses one element (fire, water, air and earth) for their elf character. Skills of that element do double damage when cast by the elf, and they are immune to the same element themselves. However, opposing element does double damage to the elf and skills of that element are only half effective.

DWARVES

These sturdy diminutive people lived isolated in vast underground societies until the arrival of humans. Dwarves are arduous and skilled, and have built most of the buildings in Nova Vesta, so they were instantly fascinated by human technology. The dwarves quickly formed a pact with the humans, trading their labor to gain access to the machines.

Dwarves – or umbur, as they call themselves – have only a weak connection to the ether flow, but their subterranean lifestyle has made them persistent and tough. They can even recover from ailments faster than others.

Base statistics:

Defense: 4
Health: 15
Ether: 6

Racial trait: Resistance – If inflicted by a lasting condition such as poison, sleep, blindness or silence, a dwarf has 50% chance of automatically recovering from them each turn they take.  

ORCS

This chaotic and violent race comes in various shapes and sizes, their only common feature being greenish skin with little body hair. The humans call them by many names – goblins, trolls, gremlins – but the most common is orc. The orcs have no common name for themselves, but call their kin agrra, “friends”, while other races are groshk, “enemies”. The orcs are the main reason elves are so few in numbers and dwarves live in seclusion under the ground, and thus they are the dominant race of Nova Vesta.

When the humans arrived, the orcs tried to wipe them out but were no match for their guns. Since then, many orcs have seen the benefit of peaceful coexistence. Still, any orc is quick to anger and should then be avoided at all costs, since few can match the strength of an orc.

Base statistics:
Health: 10
Ether: 8

Racial trait: Rage – An orc character has a special rage counter in their statistics that goes up by one every time they deal or take damage. That counter can be used anytime with a normal attack to boost the attack’s damage by the counter’s number. The counter is then reset.

CHIMERA

The humans brought with them many animals on their spaceships. As they learned to harness ether, the early mage-scientists of Ethertech Corporation performed experiments with the animals and captured orcs in order to create an army of biological weapons against the hostile world. However, many of these half-animal hybrids proved to be too intelligent to remain slaves and escaped to live a free life.

The chimera are mostly shunned by the other races, living on the outskirts of civilization. The Ethertech Corporation is still producing them for their own purposes, a practice many want to see ending. As natural predators, the chimera are fast and strong, but short-lived.

Base statistics:
Health: 8
Ether: 10

Racial trait: Animal Hybrid – The player chooses one of the following passive skills for their chimera character, based on their appearance.
·         Leaping (passive) – If the chimera has bestial features, it can jump over opponents and obstacles when moving.
·         Flying (passive) – If the chimera has wings, it is unaffected by traps and terrain hazards.
·         Aquatic (passive) – If the chimera has aquatic features, it can move through water without penalty.

JOBS

Members of the Herostar Company come from all walks of life. Each job has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as unique skills only they can utilize.

FIGHTER

Fighters can use all melee weapons well, but ranged weapons poorly. Their defense is bolstered as well.

Statistic changes:
Attack: +1 if melee weapon is equipped, -1 if ranged weapon is equipped.
Defense: +1

Job Skills:
Swing (action) – A fighter can attack all characters standing adjacent to them by swinging their melee weapon. Each target rolls for their own defense. Allied characters are affected by a swing attack as well.
Break Through (action) – A fighter has a 50% chance to break through an obstacle or a locked door, but they suffer one die of damage with each attempt.
Crushing Blow (passive) – If their attack roll causes 10 or more damage, a fighter can lower their target’s defense by one.

MEDIC

Medics can mend wounds with their miraculous ethereal powers.

Statistic changes:
Health: +3
Ether: +3

Job Skills:
First Aid (action) – A medic can use any number of their attack dice to restore health to all adjacent allies equal to the roll’s result. This costs ether equal to the number of dice used.
Cleanse (action) – A medic can remove any lasting condition from an adjacent target at the cost of 5 ether.
Banish (passive) – A medic’s attacks can cause double damage to undead enemies if they spend ether equal to the number of dice used.

GUARD

Bound by duty, the sturdy guards protect their allies from danger but their bulk slows them down.

Statistic changes:
Defense: +2
Speed: -1

Job Skills:
Cover (action) – By choosing to cover their allies, a guard automatically takes damage instead of any ally standing adjacent to them that gets attacked before the guard’s next turn.
Bait (action) – A guard can spend a turn attracting all enemies within a line of sight to attack them instead of their allies until their turn comes next.
Shield Smash (passive) – If a guard rolls higher than their attacker when they defend and they are equipping a shield, they cause damage equal to half the difference of the rolls.

RANGER

Opposite of fighters, rangers excel in using ranged weapons like guns and bows. They are not that good in close combat, though.

Statistic changes:
Attack: +2 if ranged weapon is equipped, -1 if melee weapon is equipped.

Job Skills:
Aim (action) – A ranger can concentrate their attack on an enemy to cause damage without the target defending. An aiming ranger cannot move on the same turn.
Distract (action) – A ranger can attempt to distract an enemy to prevent them from attacking the party. Success rate depends on the enemy.
Track Down (passive) – A ranger can track down and follow enemies by finding traces they have left behind.

ROGUE

Rogues make the fastest adventurers and they have a few tricks they can use.

Statistic changes:
Speed: +2

Job Skills:
Steal (action) – A rogue can try to steal one item from an enemy. For the attempt, dice are rolled equal to the speed of both the rogue and their target. If the rogue rolls higher, the stealing succeeds. If the rogue rolls lower, they lose their next turn.
Hack (action) – A rogue has a 25% chance to hack into any locked computer or control panel.
Backstab (passive) – If a rogue sneaks behind an enemy, they can deal damage without the target being able to defend.

ELEMENTALIST
Elementalist make the best use of ether flows, but suffer from low attacks.

Statistic changes:
Attack: -1
Ether: +6

Job Skills:
Ether Blast (action) – An elementalist can remove any elemental obstacle from their way if they know an ethereal skill of an opposing element by spending 5 ether.
Meditate (action) – An elementalist can spend a turn restoring 5 ether to themselves but cannot move on the same turn.
Wisdom (passive) – An elementalist always roll one extra die when using ethereal skills that require dice.

@Sandy I like the outline. The addition of the chimera race is really interesting and should allow for lots of fun characters to come about. The story setup seems great and looks like there’s a lot of freedom to explore both character/race backgrounds, factions, and locations. It hit the six-fantasy idea really well, imo.

The classes (mainly rogue) are a little concerning. The main issue for me with rogue is the Steal ability, which was very OP in the original game. This also leads into the idea of combat. Would we still be using the dice pool idea that was thrown around? Would weapon proficiencies be a thing? I think the stats you included are super smart and allow everyone to be whatever character they want, from a dwarf who wants to be a caster to a fighter who finds he likes ranged weapons later on, especially if the proficiency/skill idea mentioned earlier is used. 

12 hours ago, KotZ said:

@SandyThe classes (mainly rogue) are a little concerning. The main issue for me with rogue is the Steal ability, which was very OP in the original game. This also leads into the idea of combat. Would we still be using the dice pool idea that was thrown around? Would weapon proficiencies be a thing? I think the stats you included are super smart and allow everyone to be whatever character they want, from a dwarf who wants to be a caster to a fighter who finds he likes ranged weapons later on, especially if the proficiency/skill idea mentioned earlier is used. 

Well, this system was created for one-off dungeon crawls, so there's no experience or character progress in itself. But the players would get gold and better items from the dungeons to take with them to new scenarios.

Of course it's possible to make a simple class advancement system, since these basic classes are quite simple.

I was thinking that the amount of items one could carry would be restricted, so stealing wouldn't be too op.

But yeah, everyone is free to chip in and develop this idea, if we really want to make it work. :blush:

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Well, this system was created for one-off dungeon crawls, so there's no experience or character progress in itself. But the players would get gold and better items from the dungeons to take with them to new scenarios.

Of course it's possible to make a simple class advancement system, since these basic classes are quite simple.

I was thinking that the amount of items one could carry would be restricted, so stealing wouldn't be too op.

But yeah, everyone is free to chip in and develop this idea, if we really want to make it work. :blush:

Oh ok that makes sense. Was there ever floated the idea of an inventory system for a H2.0 before? It seems like it would have been very helpful for balance issues in H1.0.

I'll gladly help develop. You say LEGO RPG and I'm there.:laugh: I think the big issue (as has been with all of the past ideas) we need to address is the combat system. Heroica's combat was simplistic and unfair at times. The class stat changers seem to help adjust that. If we go by the dice pool system that's been floated before, it could really make a solid, well rounded system that's fair for everyone.

Hello guys !

I see you're on your way to create and build a new version of Heroica the RPG ! That's great !

I'm new in this section but I followed from time to time the game and found it very good.

Being a rolist myself I would be more than interested to participate in this new version. Particularly if there is the possibility of variations in the universe.

If you're going to revive this game why not trying to make some polyvalent "General Rules" and then use them in many situations using all our beloved LEGO themes ! That would lead to Pirates treasure chases ! Medieval dongeons to explore ! Adventurers pyramids discoveries and of course Sci Fi out of space adventures !

Like that, every GM could use this base to create a storyline, and the players could have XP and Gold to pass to each character from a theme to another !

10 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Hello guys !

I see you're on your way to create and build a new version of Heroica the RPG ! That's great !

I'm new in this section but I followed from time to time the game and found it very good.

Being a rolist myself I would be more than interested to participate in this new version. Particularly if there is the possibility of variations in the universe.

If you're going to revive this game why not trying to make some polyvalent "General Rules" and then use them in many situations using all our beloved LEGO themes ! That would lead to Pirates treasure chases ! Medieval dongeons to explore ! Adventurers pyramids discoveries and of course Sci Fi out of space adventures !

Like that, every GM could use this base to create a storyline, and the players could have XP and Gold to pass to each character from a theme to another !

Hi Faldrin! Welcome to this side of the forum! I think general rules are something we're kinda going for (at least with these one-shots that Sandy floated) that would allow easy quests to learn that can be a lot of fun. As for the themes, if we do these one-shot stories, I can see a whole host of ideas of themes in various times, but I don't really see how the EXP, gold, loot, etc would transfer. If anything, it seems like it would just be combining all of the Historica, BoBS, Andromeda, etc into one big mishmash. Although if we stuck to a Sci-fantasy theme that's been discussed before, I think those themes you mentioned would easily fit into a cohesive storyline and grow with.

15 hours ago, KotZ said:

Hi Faldrin! Welcome to this side of the forum! I think general rules are something we're kinda going for (at least with these one-shots that Sandy floated) that would allow easy quests to learn that can be a lot of fun. As for the themes, if we do these one-shot stories, I can see a whole host of ideas of themes in various times, but I don't really see how the EXP, gold, loot, etc would transfer. If anything, it seems like it would just be combining all of the Historica, BoBS, Andromeda, etc into one big mishmash. Although if we stuck to a Sci-fantasy theme that's been discussed before, I think those themes you mentioned would easily fit into a cohesive storyline and grow with.

Thank you for your welcome.

I was thinking at some General RPG rules like The Basic RPG rules you can find in Chaosium or something similar where you've got the possibility of using the XP and advantages you've got from the former character you played to create a new one. Well it seems insane and crazy in the term of characters but it is using a Player acount as the receiver of the XP and then he can use this XP for other characters in other worlds.

Of course, if I understand you it's not really the objective here. After all, a big mash up of themes is always hard to build and make cohesive.