Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 17: Glass Workshop in Barqa

In Kaliphlin, glass making is a significant industry and throughout Historica Barqan glass is a synonym for glass of the highest quality. 

The making of raw glass is concentrated to some larger furnaces, several of which exists in Barqa fueled by the intense flames of Black Oil and where tons of raw glass is produced.
In small workshops such as this one, at lower temperatures the raw glass is then together with recycled glass used to produce the finished glass products.

32106714418_00b7606fb3_c.jpg

The ingredients of the Barqan glass are:

• Former - The major component of glass is silica. The best sand in Historica for this is sand from the Kaliphlin deserts, where the softer components of the sand has been ground down and blown away by the relentless winds over the wasteland only leaving the hard quartz.
  • Flux - To lower the melting point of the silica to form glass, soda is added. The source of this is natron from the shores of the Lick of Salt river and the Salt Lake it feeds.
  • Stabiliser - Glasses formed of silica and soda are naturally soluble, and require the addition of a stabiliser such as lime. While glass makers using beach sand get this for free through the calcareous particles in the beach sand (fragments of shells) mixed in the sand, in the best Barqan glass made from mature desert sand lime made from limestone needs to be added separately. 

Different crop for closeup.
31048778487_6e1848d418_c.jpg

Built for the Kaliphlin at Work collab.
Photography notes: Lit by 4 x LifeLites inside the furnace and one in the lantern, plus a LED panel behind the wall.

Wow, this is great!  Just enough detail in the build itself to keep it interesting and industrial but uncluttered, and the lighting of course totally sells it!  The glowing glass coming out of the furnace is fantastic.  :sweet:

Lovely work buddy, and the lighting is perfect. Just the right amount of details to make it interesting, well done! :wink:

Sweet lighting, Gideon, it gives the build a very comfortable look!  Everything in it looks just about perfect too, :wub:  And that's a lot of bottles! :grin:

That's amazing! I saw your name and was already looking forward to the build, doesn't disappoint!  Lighting, and the idea, and the way the bottles look, is all spot on! 

This is so good... the lighting is amazing, especially the way the bottle in the mouth of the kiln glows, and i love the wide shot with the big rack of bottles. :wub: Your description of the glass blowing ingredients is interesting too. Question though... what elements are the big tub/barrel with the spout (behind the glass blower) made of? I can't for the life of me figure it out! 

The lighting of this is just so good!  I also really like the round oven aperture and the arches on the walls.  So glad you could participate in the collab!

Amazing lighting! :wub: It really makes the scene intresting. Enough details and figs to understand the process.

hahaha :head_back:  look, I don't even know what to say, apart from the fact that it's the very first time that I started laughing simply because a build is SO amazing! Really well done! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. I do love the lore you added to it as well.

Glad to have (perhaps?) inspired you to try lighting a build entirely as it would be lit for the figs themselves, without the more typical diffuse light that we usually use for crisp LEGO pictures. This is perfect, with a molten glass bottle coming out of the glass furnace, lit exquisitely! What are LifeLites? Are they a 3rd party LEGO accessory, or just something that you decided could do a good job for an excellently lighted picture? The shadows on the floor are wonderful, as well as the subtle variation in tile color, and the warm light throughout is beautiful. My one critique is the end of the beam visible in the top middle; it ruins the all-LEGO look slightly, since a viewer would presumably not see that if they were in the scene themselves. Also (since it has been brought up for my builds before) you have a bit of light shining through the wall in the back. But that's relatively minor in an otherwise wonderful build!

Lovely work @Gideon! Love the lighting, can almost feel the warmth through my monitor. The fig posing and pile of bottles are perfect too.

Great work! :thumbup:

This is absolutely phenomenal.  What a great idea, as well as a great setup--the details on the windows, and the creative use of the window grates--but the lighting is what really kills.  Absolutely awesome work with the light coloring on the furnace.  This is one of my favorite builds from this At Work series.  Great job!

Wow :wub: Incredible lighting that gives a wonderful impression of the furnace's heat :thumbup: The 1x2 tile floor is a great choice for the scene, and that's a nice collection of bottles :laugh:

Wow, this is great! The tiling and the expression of the guy on the left fits perfectly to the scene, and that lightning is top notch! Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

@deraven, @adde51, @Garmadon, @W Navarre, @TheLordOfBricks, @Gabe, @Kai NRG, @dalle, @en_zoo, @Muakhah, @Henjin_Quilones, @Basiliscus, @Grover, @soccerkid6, @LegoModularFan
Thanks!
Finally I got to use all those LUGBULK 2012 bottles :wink:

On 11/22/2018 at 3:06 AM, Gabe said:

Question though... what elements are the big tub/barrel with the spout (behind the glass blower) made of? I can't for the life of me figure it out! 

The elements are Scala flower pot (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=33008) and vase (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6995) in salmon color. Same as I've used e.g. in this build .

On 11/22/2018 at 5:35 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Glad to have (perhaps?) inspired you to try lighting a build entirely as it would be lit for the figs themselves, without the more typical diffuse light that we usually use for crisp LEGO pictures. This is perfect, with a molten glass bottle coming out of the glass furnace, lit exquisitely! What are LifeLites? Are they a 3rd party LEGO accessory, or just something that you decided could do a good job for an excellently lighted picture? The shadows on the floor are wonderful, as well as the subtle variation in tile color, and the warm light throughout is beautiful. My one critique is the end of the beam visible in the top middle; it ruins the all-LEGO look slightly, since a viewer would presumably not see that if they were in the scene themselves. Also (since it has been brought up for my builds before) you have a bit of light shining through the wall in the back. But that's relatively minor in an otherwise wonderful build!

The idea of the lit furnace is something I've been having in my mind for about as long as I've been building for GoH, but I ditched the purist light brick solution in favor for a third-party solution. (LifeLites are a third party brand of lighting made for use in Lego builds, I picked these up at Brickworld Chicago). The exterior cool lighting was an LED panel for photo/video which I intentionally kept much bluer to emulate daylight. 

Definitely inspired by yours and others (e.g. Luigi Priori's) builds to do a close-up with lighting :thumbup:

Nice catch regarding the lights through the cracks, I tried to cover up the gaps with double layers of bricks and also leaned some plates against the wall when that wasn't enough, but around the windows it was a bit harder to avoid the light and when I took the final pictures I had accidentally moved the plates covering the sides of the windows... Probably should have SNOTed plates onto the back side of the wall instead, but didn't want to reshoot since the posting deadline had come already. 

Edited by Gideon
Misclick when posting

Fantastic build! The lighting, composition, description are all phenomenal! The Scala parts got added to my wanted list immediately.