2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Suspension? At least at the rear, with a single gray spring? There's many smaller sets with that.

Simple 2-speed gearbox? 42048 had that, and with the blue 20t it's easier than ever.

And indeed, openable doors, hood and bonnet. That would at least increase the play value.

I mean, it's a decent set, but I still find 2 functions for 500+ parts rather poor.

Not sure a 2 speed gearbox would be appropriate for such a car.
As for suspension, it is generally a rough terrain vehicle thing when it comes to small sets.

Openable doors and bonnet would be in order for a model of that size. But I am pretty sure it would compromise a lot on how the model looks.

I certainely agree with you that 2 functions is rather few for a model of that size. But none of the features we generally have on models of that piece count are suitable here IMO.

The main reason is probably the Corvette license. It prevents the designers to add some of the classic functions you mentionned so as to focus on the look of the car.

3 minutes ago, Anio said:

Not sure a 2 speed gearbox would be appropriate for such a car.
As for suspension, it is generally a rough terrain vehicle thing when it comes to small sets.

Openable doors and bonnet would be in order for a model of that size. But I am pretty sure it would compromise a lot on how the model looks.

I certainely agree with you that 2 functions is rather few for a model of that size. But none of the features we generally have on models of that piece count are suitable here IMO.

The main reason is probably the Corvette license. It prevents the designers to add some of the classic functions you mentionned so as to focus on the look of the car.

I tend to agree with this assumption and look forward to seeing how people that do get this set implement all those great functions that are missing. 

15 minutes ago, Anio said:

I don´t know if i understood well. But you think Chevrolet denies some functions because they want a good looking car but doesn´t mind its uglyness? :sceptic:

Ok, i admit in the video it looks a lot better than on the photos before, and i am surprised in a very positive way it has a steering. It´s not that bad at all, especially given the very small scale. But if Chevrolet cares anything about how the car looks, they wouldn´t give permission for this, so this can´t be the reason why there aren´t doors and hood to be opened.

As mentioned before, the UVP is about 40€, and the real market price will be around 30-35€, so this is a very low cost modell, and that would be the reason for the lack of funktions and openable doors/hood. I think it´s not about the parts, the designer needs a lot more time if he puts more funkctions into the modell, and these engineering effort is it, what makes the better modells more expensive.

31 minutes ago, Steinbeisserheld said:

I don´t know if i understood well. But you think Chevrolet denies some functions because they want a good looking car but doesn´t mind its uglyness? :sceptic:

No.

I have been working on Lego models with car manufacturer. Trust me, they are very nitpicky when it comes to aesthetics. They often do totally unreasonnable requests. Sometimes focusing on stupid details.

They also want their model to have as many features as possible, but they are less demanding on features that they are on aesthetics.

And they absolutely do not care about stability of the model : that is TLG's problem.

My point is that the functions mentionned above may either result in a not very good looking Corvette, or make little sense regarding the spirit of the model.

Suspension with 0,5-1cm travel : it makes no sense for a race car that size. This car is made for race track, not rally.

2 speed gearbox ? Kinda ridiculous for one of the most famous US race car.

As for open doors, I am sure they wanted the model to have it (as they did the interior), but couldn't find a proper way to do it because of the Lego panels and the look of Corvette the model has to have.

I think a two-speed gearbox similar to what we saw in the Go-Kart is absolutely appropriate for this set of this size, especially since all Technic functions can only be approximations of the real thing anyway. On a larger model sure, you’d want six-speed, but for this small scale you couldn’t do a gearbox with more than two gears.

Edited by Bartybum

Opening doors/hood aren't real functions! They are a nice finishing touch but what is basically just a flap is not a function IMHO. Only addition function that could really be put into a model this size is rear suspension and it would have to have very limited travel or the rear end would look too high. I think they did about as good as they could given the size and licencing. 

10 hours ago, allanp said:

I think they did about as good as they could given the size and licencing. 

Amen to that!

Edited by Rudivdk

10 hours ago, allanp said:

I think they did about as good as they could given the size and licencing. 

That´s what i said in the first place: It´s the wrong scale, make the Corvette great.

Trash the effing Bugatti, give us a 1:8 Corvette:grin:

I received my 42093 set in the mail today and having built it, I must say I really like it. It is a fun build which leads to an interesting and compact model. Granted, the similarities with it real brother are a little thin, but nonetheless it looks like a cool sports car.  I have mentioned it before but I really can see it becoming the first model in a popular new "genre" because of the following reasons:

• It's similar in size as die-cast models, meaning it is small enough to be affordable, but big enough to incorporate some nice details.
  • Being a licensed model, it will appeal to the very large market of car enthusiasts, as well as to newcomers to the Technic community who might want something more challenging than the Speed Champion models.
  • It has some interesting building techniques in the engine, rear half of the body and the front axle. Moreover, the relative small size forces the Lego designers to be more creative in parts use and building techniques. This will benefit all Technic models.

I would almost go as far as stating that this model might be as important as the 8258 once was: In my view, the 8258 showed what was possible in a large scale Technic truck and has sparked a whole range of similar scaled trucks, both official sets and MOCs. I believe the Acros would never had happened without the 8258.  I think this little model could do something similar: be the start of a range of medium scale licensed (car)models and inspire the MOC and MOD community to create their own models once crucial parts such as the small mudguard become available in multiple colors.

I for one was already inspired to make a quick mock-up of a medium size reincarnation of the 42056 :

800x600.jpg

30 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

800x600.jpg

I love that! it looks a bit rough around the edges, but for a C-model of a small set like that, less then a week after launch, im blown away

21 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

I love that! it looks a bit rough around the edges, but for a C-model of a small set like that, less then a week after launch, im blown away

Thank you for the complement, but at this point is just an unfinished WIP and it is not a C-model (yet): I have used some spare orange parts I had before I bought the Corvette. I will see how far I can take this Porsche idea, I might turn it into a true C-model. Or alternatively, I might try to cram as much functions in it as I can. I was experimenting with the suspension of the 42021 snowmobile as for the front suspension for this model. For this model to work, I think it should have some sort of engine, but a boxer version of the Corvette engine doesn't really function properly: Gravity can't pull the "cylinders" down, since they are laying flat, so some kind of spring force will be needed, maybe some rubber bands might work ...

15 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I would almost go as far as stating that this model might be as important as the 8258 once was: In my view, the 8258 showed what was possible in a large scale Technic truck and has sparked a whole range of similar scaled trucks, both official sets and MOCs. I believe the Acros would never had happened without the 8258.  I think this little model could do something similar: be the start of a range of medium scale licensed (car)models and inspire the MOC and MOD community to create their own models once crucial parts such as the small mudguard become available in multiple colors.

A bold statement, but you may be right. I guess it would depend on how profitable this set is for TLG. Maybe it's a test, like the Unimog, to see how well a certain kind of set will sell. If it sells well I'd expect to see more. But maybe there's another reason for a car this scale to be released, soon to be revealed?! 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:14 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

I received my 42093 set in the mail today and having built it, I must say I really like it. It is a fun build which leads to an interesting and compact model. Granted, the similarities with it real brother are a little thin, but nonetheless it looks like a cool sports car.  I have mentioned it before but I really can see it becoming the first model in a popular new "genre" because of the following reasons:

• It's similar in size as die-cast models, meaning it is small enough to be affordable, but big enough to incorporate some nice details.
  • Being a licensed model, it will appeal to the very large market of car enthusiasts, as well as to newcomers to the Technic community who might want something more challenging than the Speed Champion models.
  • It has some interesting building techniques in the engine, rear half of the body and the front axle. Moreover, the relative small size forces the Lego designers to be more creative in parts use and building techniques. This will benefit all Technic models.

I for one was already inspired to make a quick mock-up of a medium size reincarnation of the 42056 :

800x600.jpg

Hello, 

i am new in this forum. Do you have any instructions of this beautiful moc ? 

Edited by Chris_pi_bacon

2 hours ago, Chris_pi_bacon said:

Hello, 

Welcome!
Are you looking for instructions for the big MOC, or the small one?
If you're looking for the big one, it's actually a set: 42056

11 hours ago, Chris_pi_bacon said:

Hello, 

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you mean the small version I started a while ago, I must admit that I haven't finished it. I ran into a dead end while trying to make a boxer version of the small engine the Corvette set has. The problem is that being a boxer, the "cylinders" lay flat so there is no gravity to make them move back to the lowest point after they have been moved up by the camshaft. I have tried rubber bands to make them move inwards, but this increased the friction so much, the entire drive train locked up.

Another question I found hard to answer for myself is whether to develop it as a true C-model using only the parts from the 42093 set (which I haven't done before) or allow extra parts form my collection and make a better looking model, possibly with more functions.

I'm rather busy in life at the moment, but if there is enough interest for it,  I could make an LDD file eventually. What do you think: Should it become a mini-Porsche without a functional engine? Would you like to see a true C-model or can I allow myself allow more artistic freedom?

On 12/28/2018 at 3:14 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

When this posted, I was working on my own little 911. Ours seem to be identical in size. I might use some of you ideas as I continue the project. Great job.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:52 AM, Cumulonimbus said:

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you mean the small version I started a while ago, I must admit that I haven't finished it. I ran into a dead end while trying to make a boxer version of the small engine the Corvette set has. The problem is that being a boxer, the "cylinders" lay flat so there is no gravity to make them move back to the lowest point after they have been moved up by the camshaft. I have tried rubber bands to make them move inwards, but this increased the friction so much, the entire drive train locked up.

Another question I found hard to answer for myself is whether to develop it as a true C-model using only the parts from the 42093 set (which I haven't done before) or allow extra parts form my collection and make a better looking model, possibly with more functions.

I'm rather busy in life at the moment, but if there is enough interest for it,  I could make an LDD file eventually. What do you think: Should it become a mini-Porsche without a functional engine? Would you like to see a true C-model or can I allow myself allow more artistic freedom?

I think some extra parts would be ok, if they make the model more realistic :) 

Just built this set today. I actually liked the build better than I expected. Although I was quite surprised, you're building this great door mechanism, only to find out later than it's not a mechanism at all, and it gets completely locked away. So with very small modifications I brought it back, and I think it looks pretty cool:
(disclaimer for purists: personally I don't care whether the real car has such a door mechanism or not)

IMG_0107.JPG

VideoCorvette simple door mechanism mod

7 hours ago, ozacek said:

Just built this set today. I actually liked the build better than I expected. Although I was quite surprised, you're building this great door mechanism, only to find out later than it's not a mechanism at all, and it gets completely locked away. So with very small modifications I brought it back, and I think it looks pretty cool:
(disclaimer for purists: personally I don't care whether the real car has such a door mechanism or not)

With the doors only attached at the top, AFAICS it should allow you to also use the wider 43.2 x 22 ZR tyres - which definitely make it look even better.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

Here's my RC version after a nose job :)

@kbalage: Nice video as usual! I like the front modification most. The overall shape now seems to remind me more of a tuned corvette model, though I don't remember the tuner. IIRC it was a Corvette with a longer than usual front and lots of power, maybe from Hennessey or Callaway, can't say?

Say, what gearing do you use? I see 24z at the PF L motors and a differential with 28 teeth, what's between?

I don't use a differential in my motorized mods/MOCs (42098 blue car mod and Palomino) in that scale and that gives a nice speed-up. As I haven't used them with differential I can't say if the drive characteristics would change much. Would be interesting to see a comparison between with and w/o differential.

@johnnym thanks, I spent a lot of time with the front area. 

About the gearing -  The 24Ts are driving a 8T and there's another 16T/16T pair before the usual 20T and the differential, that is the faster gearing. In the slower version the 16Ts are replaced with a 12T/20T combination to make it suitable for indoor play (even in Ludicrous mode) and to avoid stressing the components too much :sweet: