We don't have much right now, just this picture, but it's better than nothing!

LEGO_42093.jpg

Personally, I find that they made a good choice with the wheels, but just about every other visual aspect of the car is too flat. The front is too choppy/broken up to be recognizable.

We can see there's steering on the front axle, a working V8, and the hood doesn't open.

Edited by letsbuild

This is probably how the designer felt when he got the assignment.

"You get to design LEGO's first Technic Corvette"

p2ZeFH0.jpg

"But you can only use 400 elements"

zRxn7jm.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

I can think of about at least half a dozen members on this forum who could have done a better job. It really looks rough.

Just now, Paul Boratko said:

This is probably how the designer felt when he got the assignment.

"You're get to design LEGO's first Technic Corvette"

https://bricksafe.com/files/Crowkillers/wall-pictures/meme/yes.jpg

"But you can only use 400 elements"

https://bricksafe.com/files/Crowkillers/wall-pictures/meme/NO.jpg

I can almost feel the pain of the designer Paul. Design this monster with only 400 parts and created this beauty with no budget. It's looks how i sometime must work.:sceptic::laugh::wink:

Just now, jorgeopesi said:

With the parts used it is a very nice car.

I also think that it is just fine for what it is... I am curious why they have the spoiler so high on it though...

12 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

I am curious why they have the spoiler so high on it though...

I think that was not his choise. they could better use a  2 long axle to lower it down. I am always struggle with it and sometime one plate thickness makes the complete differents in the design.

For a 400 piece set the front's pretty damn good to be honest. The only real problem lies in the rear - it's just too square at the sides. The spoiler height's like, whatever who cares.

I can appreciate it for what it is and I do need orange parts so will definitely be getting it, unless of course it is ridiculously priced. The thing is though, I get the feeling that when I build it and show it to somebody, they aren't going to say "cool looking Corvette," they are going to say "cool looking car, did you design that yourself?"

The model itself is not a bad one, but I dont like the fact that it is called Corvette. If it has just a generic name like "Supercar", I would have no problem with it.

Like 42080. While its design has some elements from the Ponsse Scorpion, it doesn't look like and it doesn't claim to be a Ponsse Scorpion. Why can't this 42093 be like that. 

8 hours ago, letsbuild said:

We can see there's steering on the front axle

It seems so, but how does it work, I can't see no HOG.

I reckon the angle doesn't help here. I think there's been some clear thought to the styling - e.g. how the rear and door is angled slightly upwards to recreate the lines. I reckon it'll look better in the brick. (It looked better in the brochure, right?)

I guess the HOG is on the back (not ideal).

Hmm, rear suspension? See the yellow just behind the black 9L beam that forms the top of the seats...

Edited by JonathanM

9 hours ago, letsbuild said:

the hood doesn't open. 

Im not 100% on that, it could be that the entire front shell flips up, the middle of the hood is obviously connected to the wheel arches, but those arent secured at the bottom, i cant quite make out the front to see if there is a solid connection from the front shell to the frame, but i wouldnt be surprised.

Either way, i think they messed up with this set, the corvette as a car isnt recognizable enough to be worked out in 400 parts, if you'd shown me this car without the corvette stickers, i would have pegged it for some generic design, not a corvette.

I might end up getting it as a parts pack/base for MOC/MODding eventually though, but the set itself does nothing for me.

You got to remember that they’ve already got the Corvette licence with Speed Champions so it’s easy to male from that aspect.

do we think this will have a b model?

The Corvette is beginning to win me over. The fact that it is a relative compact car (and thus more affordable) with as many features (if it has suspension) as the big Porsche is pretty impressive. The looks of this set take some getting used to and I agree that this car might not be the most recognizable car. But considering that Technic parts have their limitations in recreating realistic curves, this model is not bad. Bear in mind that many of the Speed Champion sets are not that realistic in their proportions as well due to brick limitations, and can look odd especially without stickers. And yet, these appear to sell well.

th?id=OIP.ObYjqY9USzrBJWX2pXr2vwHaEK&pid

I think this set may spark a new range of medium scaled (super)cars, both as official sets and as MOCs. Curious about the steering though, I think these smaller cars should be very playable since they are more realistic purchase for actual kids. A HOG might ruin the looks, but I was thinking that a different steering type might be cool: I remember a die-cast toy car which steered when the body was tilted. This made it very swoosable, but I’m not sure how easy this would be to implement this in Technic parts.

As mentioned by me in the 2019 topic, I think that TLG is working on a “Technic Speed Champion” series, because it has seen that there is money to be made with sets which appeal to Lego fans and car-minded people. I only hope that the wishes of the Technics fans are not forgotten.

30 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@Cumulonimbus my desk at work has 5 Speed Champions GT cars on it, and I’m not the only 1 in my office :)

im thinking the Vette may be good for desk display

Too big/expensive imho

Ive got a single speed champion on my desk, and its a spare. Given that in offices valuable things do disappear from time to time (havent seen it happen in my own workplaces, but still), and desk space is at a premium, im not putting a €40 big-ish set on there

The biggest bummer really is the front end. Try this: Just cover up the front end part of the picture with your hand and you really can tell: "Whoa! That's great, its a Vette!" and then uncover the front end... "WTF? Have they used leftover parts?"

The front part is really the most iconic part of nearly evry car and should be handled with great priority.

Also a really big design flaw in my opinion is the air outlet on the side (black strip just in front of the door). Why did they use a sticker? I mean there is a panel, leaving exatly that shape in the right place and  the fender which also fits. Just get rid of the 3L lift arm in front of it and replace it with a smaller part (two studs wide).