6 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I have to ask, would anyone be forgiving of this sets enormous number of shortcomings if this were just a standard set and not a Porsche? I for sure would not. Heck, I don't now. I think the real issue here is Porsche micromanaging, and demonstrating a clear lack of respect for Lego's decision making. For instance, with 42056, you have the terrible transmission, and lack of adjustable suspension and rear wheel steering. Lego could have easily included all of those things, but Porsche nixed it, for whatever asinine reason. I think the same thing happened here. I also don't understand how Porsche bought off on this model, given the bad looks. You're free to like it, but I sure don't.

What I, and I presume several people want out of a Technic set, is to have a model where you have interesting functions to discover as the model is built. But this model does not have any of that. It has 3 functions, at best, and they are all dead simple, leaving this set with a lot of flash and next to no substance. If Lego is so insistent on making cars with minimal functions out of Technic pieces, then they should not be Technic. That should be Racers.

It says a lot about the brand. Mercedes are clearly run by engineers who find mechanics important. The unimog and the Arocs were both amazing with their new parts that gave us new levels of mechanical authenticity. But Porsche seems to be run by marketing who just want their vehicles to look good (the technic Porsches do look fantastic) but they don't care about the internal mechanisms. Knowing that ide choose a Mercedes over a Porsche any day if that's how they run their business.

Am I the only one who isn't really fond of building supercar's bodywork in general? I'm 3/4 way through my Bugatti Chiron, and the parts I enjoyed most were gearbox and all the transmissions. The bodywork feels boring.

Since 42096 is like 90% bodywork and aesthetic I think it's not gonna be a really fun build to me. Still plan to get it though.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

I agree. But what else can you do when building a supercar from the bottom up, perhaps a really complex sunroof! But yeah, bodywork is kinda a boring necessity. I think that's why cranes, helicopters, diggers and so on are more fun to build generally speaking as you have mechanical things of interest throughout the build. 

50 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

the parts I enjoyed most were gearbox and all the transmissions. The bodywork feels boring.

At last, i'm not alone!! Amen to that!!

18 minutes ago, allanp said:

I think that's why cranes, helicopters, diggers and so on are more fun to build

Bang right... phew, thought it was only me. I even posted a question for the car boys other day as to why suspension is rarely authentic.. don't think anyone replied. presume its because bodywork takes such a priority, but it just doesn't yank my chain at all.

I'm still curious about suspension though, there's massive attention to gearbox detail (which i enjoy as much as anyone because its mechanical) but suspension doesn't get the same priority... but bodywork that totally none-technical does.. bit confused if i'm honest

Wow, was hoping to the end that arches are not printed:sad: Sad

Edited by gate

It looks like there are lot of 42077 "solutions" involved into this model ?

5 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It looks like there are lot of 42077 "solutions" involved into this model ?

It's probably designed by Uwe.

39 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Could be :laugh:

40 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

He must hate his job at the moment, if this is what he's assigned to do... :look:

Model has the same empty feeling as 42077. I find it hard to imagine a Technic designer making this without feeling terrible about it.

Not worth it for the model. At first I thought that at least it looked cool, and I still think it looks better than 42056 (but that's not very hard), but I'm afraid that without stickers it's very bland. Apart from suspension parts also found in 42077, there are almost zero technical pieces. The white pins with pin hole are cool though, I hope they show up in other sets in good quantities.

Looking forward to the tracked loader, anyway. :classic:

Stickers are a little bit of dissapointment since it has all sponsor logos on specific curved shapes, and not too many of them too.

I guess at least they could be cut for some custom use..

My observations:

Driveline is as simple as it gets, diff:20:12

They used U joint for steering wheel, but did not tilt it for reasons beyond me...

Front suspension is literraly copied from the Rally car

Red towball pins?

There is plenty of room to have working HOG, but it's not included...

Basically a 42077 minus HOG and minus cool opening trunk... 42077 is better IMO

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

My observations:

Driveline is as simple as it gets, diff:20:12

They used U joint for steering wheel, but did not tilt it for reasons beyond me...

Front suspension is literraly copied from the Rally car

Red towball pins?

There is plenty of room to have working HOG, but it's not included...

Basically a 42077 minus HOG and minus cool opening trunk... 42077 is better IMO

Agree, the only interesting recolored part actually (IMHO) is this one:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=22961&idColor=86#T=C&C=86

...and 42077 is much cheaper 

Just now, Zerobricks said:

And they used the black ones on the top of the hood, even though white is available...

Yes that is really wired ?

I hope that this black will be in some cheaper set because I actually need just one of them...and Porsche has again light bluish gray frames 5 X 7 (good that I have 13 of black)...

42077 doesnt look anywhere near as good though, 42000 for instance makes for a nice display model, 42077 looks pretty bad and boxy, 42096 by comparison looks worlds better, to me it even looks better then 42056 once you fix the bulbous headlights

The lack of features is bad, but no-one here should be surprised, i called it not having a gearbox as soon as rumours surfaced of it being a licensed set, 42056, 42063 and 42083 all suffer from "form over function" due to bloat, offering the same features as sets half their part count/price. Not to mention the fact that if they succeeded 42056 with a 911 with the exact same features (but fixed issues), but for half price, that would make 42056 looks absolutely ridiculous

Thank you, Lego, for saving my money! The set is even worse, than I expected!

I hoped we would get at least some smart solutions for the several present functions, but no. They made literally zero efforts to impress Technic fans!

Edited by Yevhen

I didn´t expect much more so I still happy with the Porsche, I am a functions over aesthetics man but I like this one like the 3 Ferrari Racers I have, not everything is functionality all time.

Thanks for the pictures @Cypr-21. Agree, it looks decent without stickers. I think the white part of the body is flowing quite well actually.

One strange omission is the 2x2 corner plates used in the side mirrors. There are new 2x2 plates with cut corner (image below), which also exist in white. That would have been a perfect fit below the new left/right 1x2 curved slopes. A really strange choice, especially sihnce I think there are no other 2x2 corner plates in the set, so the number of lots wouldn't be affected by this.

lego-white-wedge-plate-45-2-x-2-26601-27