9 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Real RSR has paddle shifting system for sequential gearbox :wink:

That may be an explanation why this modell has no gearbox, since a sequential paddle shifting system like in the 911 GTR ist to much effort for a 150 Euro toy, and a simpler version would´nt be accurate enough compared to the real RSR.

I've got car question.. they're not my thing, but Lego is, so they still are if you follow me?!

Suspension never seems to be a replica of the real thing - i've seen one moc that had torsion bar springs, anti roll bars and correct geometory, but the vast majority posted here seem to just have some springs in a standard format. Why is that?

This set doesn;t have faithful suspension, but its being suggested the gearbox was left out as if its not a replica, its left out.. just curious why suspension gets less attention than other things, both in this 'review' and most moc's (not all, i know!)

Just curious, not be negative about anyone's mocs etc..

Real Porsche has McPherson like suspension at the front, but TLC for not have small enough shock absorber that allows rotation to be fitted in such scale (that is my thought about front suspension)

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

seeing the straight on side view I think the front overhang looks way too big and i agree the wheels are slightly on the small side

I believe we may try to use x1825 for the rear tires: the real 911 RSR has a bit "fatty" rear tires.
As for a suspension authenticity, yes, there is no a compact way to make McPherson suspension. Additionally, the torsion suspension or sway bars are seem to be illegal in TLG terms as they use the axles play that may cause some damage or deformation to them. So they can't afford using them in official models and have to use the existing parts. Or invent something new once.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:19 PM, Jurss said:

It seems, there are lot of gears for steering. It means pretty big slack

Yeah, same issue with the Chiron and GT3RS, too many gears in the steering. In older models like the test car from 30 years ago you get a steering wheel > shaft (with a few universal joints) > small 8 tooth gear > steering rack > long steering arms (with Ackermann geometry) > wheel. And that worked great. Very little gearing where sloppyness can come in. The small 8 tooth gear coupled to the longer steering arms give you the mechanical advantage needed to easily steer the wheels. Now in these new cars we get a 50% larger 12t gear driving shorter steering arms, which would make the steering harder so they have to add all this extra gearing down between the steering wheel and rack pinion to give the needed mechanical advantage. But the gearing increases that cheap sloppy feeling which is made much worse by trying to move the front wheels via short steering arms (less leverage) using a larger 12t gear because it increases the stress on the plastic components, meaning more bending, which when compounded by lack of Ackermann geometry you really can feel as that cheap, sloppy, low quality feeling that these newer cars have. It really is annoying because we know Lego is expensive, but we accept it because we know it's quality, but the steering, suspension, and overall feel of the handling of all these new cars just doesn't feel like quality. Like I say, the test car came out 30 years ago and it's handling is just great! Also what's with the straight ahead steering wheel in all these cars? Why aren't they angled slightly upwards towards the driver anymore?

EDIT: Come to think of it, the test car did have a line of 16t gears between the steering wheel and rack pinion, but this really didn't seem to affect the handling negatively. Maybe the problem is all in those short little steering arms.

Edited by allanp

1 minute ago, allanp said:

Also what's with the straight ahead steering wheel in all these cars? Why aren't they angled slightly upwards towards the driver anymore?

The modern Lego designers lack parts to make the tilted steering wheel.

40 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

How about u-joints?

17 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

18 hours ago, Yevhen said:

Lack parts???  I am not sure what you mean.  

Edited by Pvdb

1 hour ago, Pvdb said:

Lack parts???  I am not sure what you mean.  

I think he meant that because u-joint's bending point is at least 2 studs away from the steering wheel. You need to have something to guide and restrict the steering wheel in a cone shape of movement 

Not sure if what I wrote is understandable

19 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How about u-joints?

I meant a tilted steering axle, not a shape of the steering wheel.

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

I meant a tilted steering axle, not a shape of the steering wheel.

U-joints (aka universal joints or cardan's) are flexible connections that allow the axles to be tiled. You can find them (4L, the old ones) at your picture of the Blue Model Team roadster.

2 minutes ago, Void_S said:

U-joints (aka universal joints or cardan's) are flexible connections that allow the axles to be tiled. You can find them (4L, the old ones) at your picture of the Blue Model Team roadster.

Yes I meant the u-joints and many other parts that are available for the modern Lego designers. And the modern designers somehow fail to make a proper steering system in the big Porsche, even though their predecessors did it under the worse conditions!

Come on, how difficult is it to make that, considering there is no paddle shifting mechanism within the steering column like in the 42056? Is it pure laziness or cost saving or what?? 

640x333.jpg640x333.jpg

Just now, brunojj1 said:

Is it pure laziness or cost saving or what?

Probably a mix of age limit + budget restriction.

I agree, though. It kinda sucks.

I just looked at the Lego shop since 2019 sets are up now and it’s $250AUD. How the fluck does this not have transmission for such a steep price

Edited by Milan
Removed profanity

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I just looked at the Lego shop since 2019 sets are up now and it’s $250AUD. How the fluck does this not have transmission for such a steep price

Large + licensed model + parts count + GT / RSR / Pro etc. Taking into account all these things any transmission will raise the price even higher making it just similar to 911 RS3 that is pointless.

I have to ask, would anyone be forgiving of this sets enormous number of shortcomings if this were just a standard set and not a Porsche? I for sure would not. Heck, I don't now. I think the real issue here is Porsche micromanaging, and demonstrating a clear lack of respect for Lego's decision making. For instance, with 42056, you have the terrible transmission, and lack of adjustable suspension and rear wheel steering. Lego could have easily included all of those things, but Porsche nixed it, for whatever asinine reason. I think the same thing happened here. I also don't understand how Porsche bought off on this model, given the bad looks. You're free to like it, but I sure don't.

What I, and I presume several people want out of a Technic set, is to have a model where you have interesting functions to discover as the model is built. But this model does not have any of that. It has 3 functions, at best, and they are all dead simple, leaving this set with a lot of flash and next to no substance. If Lego is so insistent on making cars with minimal functions out of Technic pieces, then they should not be Technic. That should be Racers.

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

If Lego is so insistent on making cars with minimal functions out of Technic pieces, then they should not be Technic. That should be Racers.

Totally agree. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Do not use words like those on the forum.
I have edited your post/removed them.

Seems Santa is a bit early this year ^^

1544528770-42096-box-light.jpg

And he was probably mindfucked like me when he brought me a speed champions model instaed of a Technic model :look:

1544528773-42096-sitckers-light.jpg

We can say 100% arches are printed from now.

How many stickers. :wacko:

I wonder how ugly it would look without any sticker...