Built for the Used Cart Salesman category of the Colossal Castle Contest XVI, this model is my third entry this year. The challenge of creating the look of a medieval city on such a small foot print was an enjoyable task, and I’m quite pleased with how the tudor houses turned out. Using sideways headlight bricks with tiles for cobblestone is an old idea, that I just made my own version of that design for this scene.

Harburg is a bustling city and Lord Karsten often likes to walk the streets and see firsthand what goes on.

overview-4.jpg

Today he is accompanied by his daughter Elise, and while they wander around the city they see many vendors peddling various wares from their carts.

walk2.jpg

Baked goods are always one of the most difficult items to refuse – the savory smells wafting from bakers’ wares are so tempting!

vendor.jpg

More pictures:

left.jpg

right-low.jpg

You can see more images on Brickbuilt, as usual.

Thanks for looking, and as always your feedback is appreciated :dsweet:

Great build with a nice coloursceme. The highlight for me though is the elevation of the road that goes between the houses, very nicely done man!

Great little scene.  Love the windows on all of the buildings.  The buildings have some great architectural stylings with different arches.  The color patterns work very well.  The roofs look great and match up nicely within a city like scene.  The cobblestone is very nice and flows naturally throughout the scene.  I like that you used some of the old school castle torso's for the figs.  

I've admired this scene on Flickr since you first posted it. The closely packed houses make for a convincing city scene and the differing colours of the wooden sections give great variation while still being similar enough to blend in together. The slope is also a nice touch. I especially like the use of the classic printed breastplate on Lord Karsten, that is a great combo. The only slight concern I have is that the cart seems a little overwhelmed by the excellent backdrop. Great job as usual!

There's definitely a lot to like about this build, some really well done Tudor and the narrow, tall, closely built houses feel very period appropriate.  The street also feels busy and crowded but on the other hand that make sit harder tot ell what is going on with the street, which is a pity because I think you've got a neat slope on the far side there!  The entire creation though has a MOC-ified classic air to it which is really good!

Gorgeous build!  The tudor styling, the choice of colors, the cobblestone... all excellent.  The roofs are well done, and the textures that you get with the various windows are awesome.  Although it seems a little close, I think it's realistic for the medieval times.  Very nice work, as usual!

Wow... so much going on in a very compact build! It's almost chibi-scale for castle. :laugh: I like the sloping path and the cart design. The figure poking her head out the upstairs window is a nice touch too. Best of luck in the CCC! :classic:

Lots of nice details here, SK! Love the cart and the girl at the window, yet the best part for me is the ascending cobblestone :wub: I also enjoy all of the Tudors quite a lot - you mentioned the limited space and I think you succeded, as there's nothing missing and yet it doesn't look overcrowded :thumbup:

I think I am parroting a lot of people when I say the sloped street is brilliant,  along with the streethouses on the slope.  Variety of houses but all in a similar style makes it look like they do  all belong together.  Very nice compact build!

This build is so quintessentially SK! It is everything I look for in a build from you (except snow and interiors, which is a lot of what I look for, but I mean stylistically), with clean textures, smooth tiles everywhere, no unwanted studs exposed - seriously, there are like five studs visible, not counting the rougher cobblestone. The scale of the houses is not that small, it seems to me; I was watching a show last night (Vikings, from the History Channel) and the houses in York seemed small and narrow just like these, and the streets were small, too. So you are in line, visually, with the set designers for that show, at least! The sloped street is quite nice, and the houses are all so similar and yet visually distinct, with different gables and colors and small details to set them apart. I don't like the owl on the roof, though, and the bits of grass near the door of the left-most house seem out of place in a well-maintained and cobblestoned city. Other than that, looks great!

On 11/19/2018 at 11:48 AM, adde51 said:

Great build with a nice coloursceme. The highlight for me though is the elevation of the road that goes between the houses, very nicely done man!

Thanks Adde! For city scenes like this, I've found elevation change to make the build a lot more dynamic.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, zoth33 said:

Great little scene.  Love the windows on all of the buildings.  The buildings have some great architectural stylings with different arches.  The color patterns work very well.  The roofs look great and match up nicely within a city like scene.  The cobblestone is very nice and flows naturally throughout the scene.  I like that you used some of the old school castle torso's for the figs.  

Thank you, I'm glad you picked up on the different window designs and styles for each house :dsweet:

On 11/20/2018 at 1:38 AM, Ayrlego said:

I've admired this scene on Flickr since you first posted it. The closely packed houses make for a convincing city scene and the differing colours of the wooden sections give great variation while still being similar enough to blend in together. The slope is also a nice touch. I especially like the use of the classic printed breastplate on Lord Karsten, that is a great combo. The only slight concern I have is that the cart seems a little overwhelmed by the excellent backdrop. Great job as usual!

Thanks! You may be right about the cart, I hoped placing it front and center would help draw attention to it. But then I got a bit carried away with the houses :laugh:

On 11/20/2018 at 6:48 PM, Kai NRG said:

There's definitely a lot to like about this build, some really well done Tudor and the narrow, tall, closely built houses feel very period appropriate.  The street also feels busy and crowded but on the other hand that make sit harder tot ell what is going on with the street, which is a pity because I think you've got a neat slope on the far side there!  The entire creation though has a MOC-ified classic air to it which is really good!

Thank you Kai :classic:

On 11/21/2018 at 12:58 AM, Grover said:

Gorgeous build!  The tudor styling, the choice of colors, the cobblestone... all excellent.  The roofs are well done, and the textures that you get with the various windows are awesome.  Although it seems a little close, I think it's realistic for the medieval times.  Very nice work, as usual!

Thanks Grover, my models tend to be a bit smaller and denser than most real life settings. Though I do think medieval cities were often pretty cramped.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:04 AM, Gabe said:

Wow... so much going on in a very compact build! It's almost chibi-scale for castle. :laugh: I like the sloping path and the cart design. The figure poking her head out the upstairs window is a nice touch too. Best of luck in the CCC! :classic:

Thanks Gabe!

On 11/22/2018 at 8:11 AM, en_zoo said:

Lots of nice details here, SK! Love the cart and the girl at the window, yet the best part for me is the ascending cobblestone :wub: I also enjoy all of the Tudors quite a lot - you mentioned the limited space and I think you succeded, as there's nothing missing and yet it doesn't look overcrowded :thumbup:

Thank you en_zoo :classic:

On 11/22/2018 at 10:18 AM, Muakhah said:

I think I am parroting a lot of people when I say the sloped street is brilliant,  along with the streethouses on the slope.  Variety of houses but all in a similar style makes it look like they do  all belong together.  Very nice compact build!

Thanks!

On 11/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This build is so quintessentially SK! It is everything I look for in a build from you (except snow and interiors, which is a lot of what I look for, but I mean stylistically), with clean textures, smooth tiles everywhere, no unwanted studs exposed - seriously, there are like five studs visible, not counting the rougher cobblestone. The scale of the houses is not that small, it seems to me; I was watching a show last night (Vikings, from the History Channel) and the houses in York seemed small and narrow just like these, and the streets were small, too. So you are in line, visually, with the set designers for that show, at least! The sloped street is quite nice, and the houses are all so similar and yet visually distinct, with different gables and colors and small details to set them apart. I don't like the owl on the roof, though, and the bits of grass near the door of the left-most house seem out of place in a well-maintained and cobblestoned city. Other than that, looks great!

Thank you HQ! I debated on whether or not to include the owl, and ended up leaving him on.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:58 PM, OrangeGareth said:

The different colors on the walls add a great flare!

Thanks! It's really fun having so many more colors to work with now, compared to my parts palette when I started building :classic:

Excellent coloration, nice architecture, and the sloped stone street absolutely make this build.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:22 PM, Judge of the Wastelands said:

Excellent coloration, nice architecture, and the sloped stone street absolutely make this build.

Thank you very much :dsweet: