ks6349

Did lego ever have church sets?

Catholic church of any kind.

I see someone have this on youtube, but why isn't LEGO make this?

2 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

I suppose, these days, TLG (The Lego Group) is not doing this to stay neutral as they cater to a very wide spectrum of customers.

If they really want to stay neutral, they can release buildings for all different religions at the same time e.g. catholic, buddhism and many other...

I really wish there would be church where it comes with 100 or more minifigures and they pray inside.

Is there any unofficial / amateur instruction for building a church??

50 minutes ago, Space Police XVIII said:

No, but there was a mosque in the star wars line.

Or rather something that vaguely resembled a mosque enough to get on the nerves of some people, when in fact it portrayed the country seat of a space slug....

2 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

If they really want to stay neutral, they can release buildings for all different religions at the same time e.g. catholic, buddhism and many other...

In theory, that's fine, but it still represents a lot of risk.  Look how much Star Wars fans clamor to have every possible detail of every film represented in a set, once Star Wars Legos became a thing.  Now imagine every faith group in the Lego community clamoring for at least token and preferably disproportionate representation of their key sites and stories, and then bickering over whether or not it was even appropriate to depict them in Lego at all!  Sometimes I think it would be nice to have sets depicting religious landmarks, but I recognize that it would be a very risky proposition from the perspective of corporate strategy even if the first wave sold very well.

4 minutes ago, icm said:

Or rather something that vaguely resembled a mosque enough to get on the nerves of some people, when in fact it portrayed the country seat of a space slug....

In theory, that's fine, but it still represents a lot of risk.  Look how much Star Wars fans clamor to have every possible detail of every film represented in a set, once Star Wars Legos became a thing.  Now imagine every faith group in the Lego community clamoring for at least token and preferably disproportionate representation of their key sites and stories, and then bickering over whether or not it was even appropriate to depict them in Lego at all!  Sometimes I think it would be nice to have sets depicting religious landmarks, but I recognize that it would be a very risky proposition from the perspective of corporate strategy even if the first wave sold very well.

I am NOT catholic and I have NO religion. I only like buildings and styles. I 

really want to know if I can build a church with details inside , like Creator Expert. And it 'll be so great to put 100 different minifigures inside and they 

pray. I think it'll look so fantastics

Edited by ks6349

I just finished building the church from Home Alone. It’s not an official LEGO set, but people do build churches with LEGO. You can see it in my instagram Boettner_builds

26 minutes ago, icm said:

That's why I said TLG is staying neutral by not doing this. It's indeed very risky with the reasons that you've mentioned.

38 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

I don't see how making sets for all different religion really neutral. Different faith groups might just be put off by the various sets which then would set off a complicated mess. You said that you have no religion, you only like the buildings, I can totally understand that but people from faith groups actually think quite differently, that's why it's risky.

I think building MOCs on these kinds of stuff is good enough. Just to be on the safe side.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

5 minutes ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Different faith group might just be put off by the various sets which then would set off a complicated mess. 

Yup... Group A wants sets, group B thinks it's sacrilegious, group C wants sets but only if all profits are donated to humanitarian aid, group D wants sets but only if they get total control of design and distribution, and group E is too loosely organized to consult with.... In contrast, the profit motive of selling Star Wars toys and small models of secular landmarks like skyscrapers is pretty transparent and uncontroversial, and the point of contact for seeking license approval if appropriate is pretty clear.

Really wish there would be an unofficial expert providing free or paid instructions that I could make my own Catholic church and the build will be as professional as official LEGO style. Another headache is if I can get sufficient bricks required in LEGO retail stores. I really don't want to purchase on ebay it's so painful process, time wasting, headache 

On 11/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, Sinthoras said:

Last and only Lego church was in 1957 set 1309.

There is a church (St Marks) in the Venice set.

6160897.png

3 hours ago, MAB said:

There is a church (St Marks) in the Venice set.

6160897.png

Archiecture series may not have good details indoor of the church buliding.....

48 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

Archiecture series may not have good details indoor of the church buliding.....

No, it won't. The point was that they have done a church recently.

The LEGO Creator Advent Calendars from 2001 and 2002 each included a microscale church. On an even more secular note, the Throne of Ultron exclusive set from SDCC 2015 depicts a scene that takes place inside a fictional church.

But overall, religious subject matter is kind of touchy territory. Even besides concerns of offending people with different religions than are being depicted, there's also the very real possibility of offending people with the SAME religion being depicted — after all, while most people might appreciate seeing their religion depicted, honored, or recognized, some might find it a bit sacrilegious to see their religion commercialized as a consumer product. Oftentimes, people who criticize LEGO for being overly sensitive by avoiding religious sets, modern military sets, sets associated with real world disasters/tragedies, etc. seem to think of those policies strictly as attempts to appease people who think those subjects are bad for kids, and don't consider the people who might think those subjects are important for kids but inappropriate for a secular company to exploit for profit.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, MAB said:

No, it won't. The point was that they have done a church recently.

The point was that they don't have good details inside where I am more interested in the inside of a church where I can put many many minifigures inside to pray and look at the father

@ks6349, what you need to do is search for Lego churches on Flickr and build your own.  There is no set like what you want and never has been, but there are many, many church builds on Flickr - it's a thriving subgenre of Castle, landscape, and Town building.

Biggest clock tower set has been Big Ben but that's a Palace.

6192473.png

Edited by TeriXeri

39 minutes ago, icm said:

@ks6349, what you need to do is search for Lego churches on Flickr and build your own.  There is no set like what you want and never has been, but there are many, many church builds on Flickr - it's a thriving subgenre of Castle, landscape, and Town building.

Yes, I know, but who do you recommend to follow? Any member ID?

2 hours ago, ks6349 said:

The point was that they don't have good details inside where I am more interested in the inside of a church where I can put many many minifigures inside to pray and look at the father

And when I first replied, I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to someone else that said there hadn't been any churches since 1957.

I am thankful that Lego does not produce sets related to any particular religion, and hope it stays that way in the future.

I think as an international toy manufacturer LEGO has no choice but to steer clear of subjects like religion, politics or anything else that could risk upsetting different groups of people.

However I would absolutely love to see LEGO make a church as part of their winter village series. I don't suppose it's likely to happen though.

Regardless of TLGs stance on the subject, or fans, I see many sets officially released that could easily be converted into a church, temple, mosque or other religious building, with very little effort. 

Any building can be converted to a church.  Even a local bowling alley was turned into a church after it went out of business.  You are only limited by your imagination (and how much funding you can collect from your parishioners).  :pir-classic: