Sign in to follow this  

No. 111 is a small 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive on display at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC.  It was built by Alco in the 1920s and ended up moving coal around power plants before it was retired.

30992252687_d859dda3f5_c.jpgIMG_0226 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

I recently downloaded Studio 2.0 and thought this engine would make for a good experiment as my first project in the new program.  I really like how it allows you to use custom parts like BBB wheels and shows the prices for each part.  This 8-wide model would cost a little over $100 to build - not counting the BBB drivers!  I was also surprised to see that the built-in POV-Ray rendering options are much faster than the settings I have used before. 

The Studio file is available here. Thanks for looking!

45206992404_9703d9cc68_c.jpg0-4-0ST-1 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

45931076801_aee8f5711c_c.jpg0-4-0ST-2 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

Soli Deo Gloria

13 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I think it translates quite well!  Do you have more pictures of the prototype by chance? 

Thanks! I only took one photo of that particular engine when I was there, but another view angle and more information are on the museum's website here.

Looking really good so far!

And thanks for the info about Stud.io...  Just out of curiosity, what are the load times for startup & loading model files compared to LDD?  I've been thinking about moving from LDD to Stud.io for roughing out/designing MOCs that I don't currently have the bricks for, but have been hesitant due to how clunky the AI of programs like L-CAD & similar that I tried to use before LDD were, not to mention how slow they were in comparison...  I do like the fact that Stud.io can tap into BrickLink & give you a price estimate based on the average price for each element used, though.

18 minutes ago, Laura Takayama said:

Looking really good so far!

And thanks for the info about Stud.io...  Just out of curiosity, what are the load times for startup & loading model files compared to LDD?  I've been thinking about moving from LDD to Stud.io for roughing out/designing MOCs that I don't currently have the bricks for, but have been hesitant due to how clunky the AI of programs like L-CAD & similar that I tried to use before LDD were, not to mention how slow they were in comparison...  I do like the fact that Stud.io can tap into BrickLink & give you a price estimate based on the average price for each element used, though.

I just started Studio and opened this model in 55 seconds overall.  In my experience, that compares favorably to the time it takes to start LDD and open a file.