Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 15: Mophet market

The marketplace in Mophet is without a doubt one of the busiest places around, a true melting pot with people and creatures from all over Historica. It is located in the center of Mophet, inside one of the old walls that used to protect the settlement before the expansion. The old barracks, which were connected to the wall, had now been renovated by followers of Tabib D'Odo and converted into a small temple. Tabib often stood on top of it, looking down on the market and all the people, and at times held small sermons to offer inspiration and guidance. The most recent addition to the marketplace was a tall observatory, which had been placed on top of the old fountain. The fountain now had guards around it since it was not uncommon for tired travellers and merchants to get into conflict with each other in the Kaliphlin heat. 

Overview of the whole marketplace. Tabib D'Odo on top of the little temple. 

45203486244_408467bd7a_c.jpg

Closeup of the fountain beneath the observatory, guarded by some of Mophets peacekeepers. 

44111236070_48a155d03e_c.jpg

Refreshment stand

45927241041_f3e22b9d39_c.jpg

Potion vendor trying to peddle his goods to a less than convinced nobleman. Hid'ad the blacksmith cheerfully walking by on his way back to work. 

44111239500_2c790d9999_c.jpg

My seventh *huh* (and final) contribution to this collab. Had a blast building all of this and figured I would try to go out with a somewhat bigger build. This was actually the first build I started on when Gideon lured me into this whole GoH-thing. Hope you have enjoyed what I've brought so far and I look forward to trying to expand this place as best I can. I'm in the middle of a move right now so not sure when I'll be able to get building again, but hopefully it won't be that long. If anyone wants a closer look at Mophet I made a little Wiki-page for it :wink:

Just wanted to say thanks a lot to everyone that have taken the time to comment on my builds here so far. Really appreciate all the feedback I have gotten. Cheers guys! 

Edited by adde51

Great to finally see this build posted!

Congratulations to a very successful run of these free builds, so glad to have you building for Kali :thumbup:

One favorite detail in this build is the small "window awning" above the potion vendor, nice touch :classic:
I also really like the shape of the opening in a wall, really looks like a typical widened passage through a wall which has lost it's purpose, similar to what you can see all over the world today with old city walls. Seems fitting that it can happen also to inner walls from a time when the city was much smaller!

This is brilliant, I love all the arch designs you came up with and the color scheme of the whole MOC is great! I’ll be looking forward to your next builds! :classic:

As I said, MDMM. Full stop. I love all the activity here and I've come to really like those log brick-coloumns of yours. The ex-barracks turned into a mini-temple cracks me up! :head_back:

Great work here. I feel a lot of kinship with this MOC because it features elements I like to do as well, including the busy feel and huge diversity of custom-assembled minifigs.

I love the little teapot birdie! :laugh:  Great bustling market scene, really nice work incorporating a wide variety of arches.  And way to go with seven builds! *huh*  :excited:

Nice work!  I really appreciate the closeup shots, as there's too much going on to see everything from the large shot.  I really like the ideas and detail that went into this build, all the little things--the diversity in characters, many from the SW universe--and the fountains, carts, etc.  I like the whole build, but if I were to critique anything, it seems to me that the tall building on the left is a little too busy with color.  I'm not entirely sure the medium nougat/flesh color in the middle looks a little out of place.  I love the incorporation of the sand green and all the texture you put in with the 1x1 round plates, though.  Very well done.

Another fantastic build here, and definitely your best yet. You can hold your head high in this Kaliphlin at work collaboration, you did a great job of fleshing out Mophet.

So many nice little details, such as the grated windows used for the awning, the minifigs, the white petals used in the architecture, the colours, and so on!

Well done! :thumbup:

Awesome job.  Love the use of the rounds and the round 1x1 plates makes it really stand out.  The color choices are great and really work well together.  The wall section is great especially the arch which is incredible.  The figs are really neat too.  What head piece with the long ears is on the guy with the thor torso?  He really looks cool.   

Lovely build and a great way to round out your contribution to the 'Kaliphlin at Work' collab. :classic: I really like the wall texture on the lower level of the fountain building using the new round plate flower element. The shape of the main entrance to the courtyard on the right hand side is excellent too. Great to see Morphet taking shape! :thumbup:

The observatory and temple towers are my favorite bits because they both look decorated but in realistic and artistic ways.  The color combinations and very nice and the market itself has wonderful bustle to it with all the diverse figs.  The wall and stalls have good details to them too.

In picture 4 the guy with the bug body looks like a remnant of Narbilu's army of Wingless Serpents from the Civil war!

Serpent Guys

On 11/17/2018 at 11:09 PM, Gideon said:

Great to finally see this build posted!

Congratulations to a very successful run of these free builds, so glad to have you building for Kali :thumbup:

One favorite detail in this build is the small "window awning" above the potion vendor, nice touch :classic:
I also really like the shape of the opening in a wall, really looks like a typical widened passage through a wall which has lost it's purpose, similar to what you can see all over the world today with old city walls. Seems fitting that it can happen also to inner walls from a time when the city was much smaller!

Thanks a lot my friend, glad you got me into this whole thing, haha! Glad you liked this build, and especially the "window-thingie" as I spent a surprising amount of time on that little build, haha! Also happy you enjoyed the passage as I was pretty pleased with it myself. Now to just get moving and hopefully be able to set up a proper LEGO-room so I can get going again :laugh: . 

On 11/17/2018 at 11:20 PM, LegoModularFan said:

This is brilliant, I love all the arch designs you came up with and the color scheme of the whole MOC is great! I’ll be looking forward to your next builds! :classic:

Thank you very much! Glad you liked the arches, I'l try to get building again as soon as me and the family get settled in the new house. Cheers!

On 11/17/2018 at 11:52 PM, en_zoo said:

As I said, MDMM. Full stop. I love all the activity here and I've come to really like those log brick-coloumns of yours. The ex-barracks turned into a mini-temple cracks me up! :head_back:

Haha, much appreciated! :wink: . Glad you liked the columns, still figuring out how to best incorporated them but I'm sure I'll use them again in future builds. 

On 11/18/2018 at 1:10 AM, mccoyed said:

Great work here. I feel a lot of kinship with this MOC because it features elements I like to do as well, including the busy feel and huge diversity of custom-assembled minifigs.

Cheers man! Always fun to try and get that busy feel in an otherwise still shot. Thanks!

On 11/18/2018 at 2:14 AM, Kai NRG said:

I love the little teapot birdie! :laugh:  Great bustling market scene, really nice work incorporating a wide variety of arches.  And way to go with seven builds! *huh*  :excited:

Haha, glad you spotted my little birdie :laugh: . It was a busy time getting all the builds together but a LOT of fun! Great job organizing :wink:

On 11/18/2018 at 7:23 PM, Grover said:

Nice work!  I really appreciate the closeup shots, as there's too much going on to see everything from the large shot.  I really like the ideas and detail that went into this build, all the little things--the diversity in characters, many from the SW universe--and the fountains, carts, etc.  I like the whole build, but if I were to critique anything, it seems to me that the tall building on the left is a little too busy with color.  I'm not entirely sure the medium nougat/flesh color in the middle looks a little out of place.  I love the incorporation of the sand green and all the texture you put in with the 1x1 round plates, though.  Very well done.

Thank you man! Glad you liked the closeups :classic: . I tried to make the left building sort of like it was made in different stages, but I get your point, appreciate the feedback! 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:01 PM, Basiliscus said:

Another fantastic build here, and definitely your best yet. You can hold your head high in this Kaliphlin at work collaboration, you did a great job of fleshing out Mophet.

So many nice little details, such as the grated windows used for the awning, the minifigs, the white petals used in the architecture, the colours, and so on!

Well done! :thumbup:

Much appreciated good sir, thanks! Glad you thought I saved the best for last, haha! It's been a blast building Mophet "from the ground up" and hopefully I can make sure it keeps growing :classic: . Appreciate the feedback during these past weeks, a lot of good input! 

23 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Awesome job.  Love the use of the rounds and the round 1x1 plates makes it really stand out.  The color choices are great and really work well together.  The wall section is great especially the arch which is incredible.  The figs are really neat too.  What head piece with the long ears is on the guy with the thor torso?  He really looks cool.   

Thanks a lot! Got a bunch of those round flowers and figured I would try to use them for something, glad you liked it. Also glad you liked the arch at the opening. Not sure what the guys name is with the big ears but I'm pretty sure it's from a SW-set (some Jedi I think). 

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

Lovely build and a great way to round out your contribution to the 'Kaliphlin at Work' collab. :classic: I really like the wall texture on the lower level of the fountain building using the new round plate flower element. The shape of the main entrance to the courtyard on the right hand side is excellent too. Great to see Morphet taking shape! :thumbup:

Very much appreciated man! It's been a lot of fun and glad to be in such good company för this collab :wink: . 

8 hours ago, Muakhah said:

The observatory and temple towers are my favorite bits because they both look decorated but in realistic and artistic ways.  The color combinations and very nice and the market itself has wonderful bustle to it with all the diverse figs.  The wall and stalls have good details to them too.

In picture 4 the guy with the bug body looks like a remnant of Narbilu's army of Wingless Serpents from the Civil war!

Serpent Guys

Thanks man! Glad you liked the buildings as well :sweet: :thumbup: . A lot of fun creating a bigger scene where you can go kind of nuts with different figs, haha! 

7 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Great colors and details, good work portraying the busy streets man!  Awesome! 

Thank you man, appreciate it! 

I do love a good middle-eastern themed market place scene and this no exception! I like all the bustling activity and the range of different minifigs on display. The use of the combination of round bricks and plates on the white building is very clever and I'll probably borrow it one of these days! Great work!

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I do love a good middle-eastern themed market place scene and this no exception! I like all the bustling activity and the range of different minifigs on display. The use of the combination of round bricks and plates on the white building is very clever and I'll probably borrow it one of these days! Great work!

Thanks man, very glad to hear! Fun to create a somewhat bigger scene like this :classic: . Glad you liked the round pieces, borrow away :wink:  

19 hours ago, MaasEffekt said:

Congrats! Very nice indeed! :classic:

Cheers dude, glad you liked it! :sweet:

Nicely done! I like how the dark tan in the city wall is distributed in a more natural-looking way, rather than in large brick-sized sections. I also appreciate the wide variety of races and colors present in the crowd, as Kali seems to be the place where all of the different sorts meet, and this shows it well. The "bacon" flag used as an awning over the ostrich is a nice touch. Some points of critique: it seems odd that there are piles of reddish brown dirt/rocks in the middle of the market, at the front edge of the build. It seems like it would be better to just leave that smooth. It also seems unbalanced, visually, to have the highly ornate building on the left and just drab walls on the right; putting the ornate building in the middle and the temple on the left might have fixed that. Finally, as to the ornate building itself: I really like the way the round pieces look for decoration here, but it seems just a bit too much. If you were to take it down a notch, I think it would look better and less busy; at least there is something bugging me about the way it looks, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps all of the round bricks and plates leave holes that make me feel like it is unfinished in some way. Regardless, this is a great build, and I am glad to see how far Mophet has come, and I look forward to seeing more once you get unpacked and back to building!

19 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nicely done! I like how the dark tan in the city wall is distributed in a more natural-looking way, rather than in large brick-sized sections. I also appreciate the wide variety of races and colors present in the crowd, as Kali seems to be the place where all of the different sorts meet, and this shows it well. The "bacon" flag used as an awning over the ostrich is a nice touch. Some points of critique: it seems odd that there are piles of reddish brown dirt/rocks in the middle of the market, at the front edge of the build. It seems like it would be better to just leave that smooth. It also seems unbalanced, visually, to have the highly ornate building on the left and just drab walls on the right; putting the ornate building in the middle and the temple on the left might have fixed that. Finally, as to the ornate building itself: I really like the way the round pieces look for decoration here, but it seems just a bit too much. If you were to take it down a notch, I think it would look better and less busy; at least there is something bugging me about the way it looks, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps all of the round bricks and plates leave holes that make me feel like it is unfinished in some way. Regardless, this is a great build, and I am glad to see how far Mophet has come, and I look forward to seeing more once you get unpacked and back to building!

Thank you again man! The ground is something I'll continue to give more attention to when I get building again. The piles were a way to make it a little more interesting as I felt that I needed to give the scene a bit of a barrier. I may have gone a bit overboard with the round 1x1 plates (flowers), haha! Thanks again for all the useful feedback during this stretch of builds and I'll be sure to take note of what you and others have said. Still have ideas popping up so I can't wait to get a hold of all my lego again as soon as we're done moving, haha! Cheers man!

I agree with Henjin: the use of round round 1x1 elements is too much here. I don't know much about the details of architecture and the physics related to it, but I question the placement of these. A building made up of many arches and little wall should be extra strong in its pillars and particularly in the corners, I imagine. So why carve out so many cylindrical columns in that spot? Maybe it will decrease the structure's integrity; I'm not really sure where the limits are. Put differently, I think the separation of structural features and decorational features are out of balance. In my opinion, Mophets guard tower has a much better balance between these features. 

I'm looking forward to your progress!

I never tire of seeing good Kaliphlin market place builds. I like how much height you gave the buildings here, it helps strengthen the impression of a rather large town or city :thumbup:
Plenty of bustle going on in the streets! What elements did you use for the little wooden roof over the ostrich? The dark tan element wrapped over the reddish brown bars I mean.

Using curved slope elements to frame the gate fits nicely with the Middle Eastern style :classic: