Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 12: Mophet blacksmith and armory

As Mophet grew, so did the need for arms and other items a blacksmith could provide. Hid'ad had grown up in Mophet and seen the place transform from a sleepy little oasis into a blossoming community, not something seen very often in the badlands...He had gotten more and more busy lately and as he continued to go about his everyday work, his wife had gotten the bright idea to expand the business. After a little persuasion, they ended up being responsible for Mophets first armory. Although that didn't change life much for Hid'ad, as he still spent most of his days in the Kali-heat working the metal into some of the finest swords in the region. 

30942316557_b228c5b04a_c.jpg

Khabaz the baker is also a recurring sight for people visiting Mophet. He might not be the best baker i Kaliphlin (in fact, he's average at best...) but he makes up for it in enthusiasm and an infectious laugh that keeps his business going. 

30942318317_61aba3f0dc_c.jpg

Hid'ad working on a sword which is to be delivered to the Mophet guards along with other fresh supplies. 

45831801362_67c88f8051_c.jpg

So this is another addition to the collab, and to Mophet of course. Had a fun time making the blacksmith-area and fairly pleased with how it turned out. For the armory I tried to get a bit of a different look on the facade, but looking back I'm not too sure about the red patterns...The ground is again a bit sparse, at least in the center-section, but again the idea was that it's mostly just gravel there. Outside of the square is a bit of "pavement" but I'm a little unsure about how well that worked out. If I were to redo it I would probably add roads as an additional border but I must admit I was running out of pieces at this point in the creation of Mophet...

Anyways, a fun build and I hope you guys like it. Cheers!

Looking good! The decorations on the building are nice touches. The pavement doesn't really work for me, though, I think because of the hollow studs of the jumper plates; those often look out of place to me. The dark red in the walls of the armory is a nice touch, but it would look much better if you inset it by half a stud or half a plate even, just something to break up the smooth texture and give the impression of tan bricks of some kind in the corners but dark red plaster (or whatever material) in between them. This should fit right in in Mophet, though, and I am happy to see the place growing. Nice job keeping the blacksmith in a well-ventilated area, as I am pretty sure working a hot forge in Kali heat would be really really unpleasant without a breeze. Perhaps a canopy over the entrance would have helped, too, to add even more shade to the shop. 

Also, on a practical note: Hid'ad should probably be holding the sword with tongs, unless he has special abilities that allow him to hold glowing metal straight out of a forge! I would also expect the forge to be a bit lower, for easier access to it, and there should probably be some water in a barrel for quenching nearby. 

Keep building Mophet, I love how quickly it is growing! You'll have a city in the HSS in no time. 

Yay for more pigs! :laugh:  I really like that gear over the blacksmith's, creative detail!  And I enjoy all the minifigures too, makes the scene look quite bustling.  Mophet is becoming a pretty prosperous town!

Nice work.  I like the tan, dark red, and orange color combination.  The blacksmith shop is well done.  The roofs on both buildings are creative.  The figs are all nicely done

Well if the Kaliphlin builders keep this up, the other guilds might as well give up now, you guys have probably got a thousand free build points already! :tongue:

Anyway, this is another nice build for the collaboration. I agree with some of @Henjin_Quilones's points but not all - I really like the dark red and red plaster, it always goes great with tan. I agree that having some texture to the buildings would help break them up a bit, and I also feel that having one building at an angle (off the grid) would help make it feel less regular and more natural.

I love the choice of minifigs, some nice hats and torsos that feel right at home in Kaliphlin. The snake tattoo torso for the blacksmith is perfect.

In the words of Meghan Trainor, "I'm all about the base" :laugh: I think the jumper plates look fine, I use them myself with plates to help give the base some texture, but the part that to me looks strange is the tan colour. Because the buildings are tan, I think the light bley might have been a better choice.

Lovely MOC, well done! :thumbup:

Another great addition to Mophet. I really like the house and workshop combination aspect to a lot of your builds where we can imagine the people living close to their work.  I think that the base is probably the weakest part of this build. Maybe some different heights and depth like your really good farm build. Just having one of the buildings at a slightly different height and angle would help too. I like the blacksmith workshop itself and the house. Also the bustle of the streets and a stall tucked away.

22 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Looking good! The decorations on the building are nice touches. The pavement doesn't really work for me, though, I think because of the hollow studs of the jumper plates; those often look out of place to me. The dark red in the walls of the armory is a nice touch, but it would look much better if you inset it by half a stud or half a plate even, just something to break up the smooth texture and give the impression of tan bricks of some kind in the corners but dark red plaster (or whatever material) in between them. This should fit right in in Mophet, though, and I am happy to see the place growing. Nice job keeping the blacksmith in a well-ventilated area, as I am pretty sure working a hot forge in Kali heat would be really really unpleasant without a breeze. Perhaps a canopy over the entrance would have helped, too, to add even more shade to the shop. 

Also, on a practical note: Hid'ad should probably be holding the sword with tongs, unless he has special abilities that allow him to hold glowing metal straight out of a forge! I would also expect the forge to be a bit lower, for easier access to it, and there should probably be some water in a barrel for quenching nearby. 

Keep building Mophet, I love how quickly it is growing! You'll have a city in the HSS in no time. 

Thanks again for your feedback HQ, much appreciated! I agree that the walls could definately use some more texture to make it a little more interesting. Completely forgot to give him gloves or something :grin: . We’ll go with the fact that he’s just putting some finishing touches on the sword so it’s not that hot where he’s holding it, haha! Still have one more Mophet-build coming up so will probably check off some more boxes in HSS with that. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Yay for more pigs! :laugh:  I really like that gear over the blacksmith's, creative detail!  And I enjoy all the minifigures too, makes the scene look quite bustling.  Mophet is becoming a pretty prosperous town!

Haha, pigs for the win! Thanks man, glad you liked it :sweet: . 

17 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Great build! You got lots of details packed in there!

Thank you very much! 

15 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Nice work.  I like the tan, dark red, and orange color combination.  The blacksmith shop is well done.  The roofs on both buildings are creative.  The figs are all nicely done

Thanks! More fun than I expected to create a somewhat lively scene, glad you liked it. 

12 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Well if the Kaliphlin builders keep this up, the other guilds might as well give up now, you guys have probably got a thousand free build points already! :tongue:

Anyway, this is another nice build for the collaboration. I agree with some of @Henjin_Quilones's points but not all - I really like the dark red and red plaster, it always goes great with tan. I agree that having some texture to the buildings would help break them up a bit, and I also feel that having one building at an angle (off the grid) would help make it feel less regular and more natural.

I love the choice of minifigs, some nice hats and torsos that feel right at home in Kaliphlin. The snake tattoo torso for the blacksmith is perfect.

In the words of Meghan Trainor, "I'm all about the base" :laugh: I think the jumper plates look fine, I use them myself with plates to help give the base some texture, but the part that to me looks strange is the tan colour. Because the buildings are tan, I think the light bley might have been a better choice.

Lovely MOC, well done! :thumbup:

Haha! We’re a little behind at this point so more freebuilds was needed! Glad you liked the red touches, and I agree with both of your comments about the texture. Still working out a ”look” for the streets so I appreciate the feedback. All of these builds are my first crack at this theme so still have some things to work out but it’s been a lot of fun. And the feedback is great so keep it coming :classic:

9 hours ago, Muakhah said:

Another great addition to Mophet. I really like the house and workshop combination aspect to a lot of your builds where we can imagine the people living close to their work.  I think that the base is probably the weakest part of this build. Maybe some different heights and depth like your really good farm build. Just having one of the buildings at a slightly different height and angle would help too. I like the blacksmith workshop itself and the house. Also the bustle of the streets and a stall tucked away.

Thanks man, and appreciate the feedback. The base could absolutely have been given a bit more love, hopefully I’ll be able to fix some of the stuff you guys have mentioned as I plan on connecting most of the builds at some point. Cheers! 

8 hours ago, MaasEffekt said:

Nice! Congrats!

Thank you very much! 

A nice addition to Morphet! I agree with others that more texture and evidence of weathering might improve the walls, but the placement frames the scene well and i love the little stall peeking through from the laneway. Regarding the road, i find a mix of round plates or tiles scattered throughout adds to the realism. It doesn't have to be all tan either - light bley accents work well for small stones etc. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, Gabe said:

A nice addition to Morphet! I agree with others that more texture and evidence of weathering might improve the walls, but the placement frames the scene well and i love the little stall peeking through from the laneway. Regarding the road, i find a mix of round plates or tiles scattered throughout adds to the realism. It doesn't have to be all tan either - light bley accents work well for small stones etc. 

Thanks man, always nice to hear some feedback :classic: :thumbup: . The road was somewhat of a test and I agree it needs a bit of work. Cheers!

uhhmmm 'MDMM' is your new nickname, as far as I'm concerned; as in Mophet-Developing MOCing-Machine. Or something on this line :dwacko: No seriously, really nice vignette ^^ The blacksmith area is nice and I think the pattern on the armory walls are just fine. Also, it's a new building in Mophet, right? So I don't feel the need for more texture this time.. :wink: As you said yourself, the terrain is somewhat weird, yet I do have problems with number of pieces every time I try a cobblestone, so I feel ya there! :sceptic:

15 minutes ago, en_zoo said:

uhhmmm 'MDMM' is your new nickname, as far as I'm concerned; as in Mophet-Developing MOCing-Machine. Or something on this line :dwacko: No seriously, really nice vignette ^^ The blacksmith area is nice and I think the pattern on the armory walls are just fine. Also, it's a new building in Mophet, right? So I don't feel the need for more texture this time.. :wink: As you said yourself, the terrain is somewhat weird, yet I do have problems with number of pieces every time I try a cobblestone, so I feel ya there! :sceptic:

Haha! Got in a nice groove so I just kept going with the Mophet builds :laugh: , thanks man! The building is new so that's sort of why I went with a less textured look, well spotted. Thanks again man!

Very nice!  I really like the clean lines and the colors again.  I like how you tucked away the baker in the corner of the build as well.  I'm not sure of the tiles--is that supposed to be a road or a part of a stairs?  It's at the edge of the build, so it's hard to say, but it would be interesting to see with another part connected at that edge.  Another great build!

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:07 AM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I really like the clean lines and the colors again.  I like how you tucked away the baker in the corner of the build as well.  I'm not sure of the tiles--is that supposed to be a road or a part of a stairs?  It's at the edge of the build, so it's hard to say, but it would be interesting to see with another part connected at that edge.  Another great build!

Thanks! The tiles are supposed to be some type of sidewalk but I'm still working out a decent look for them. I'll try to make a larger scene with most of the builds later on and then have more of a cohesive look for the roads, etc. Cheers man!

Looks pretty nice, I really like the way you used the cheese slopes the gear and the dome. As almost everybody said, I think the dark red/tan wall could have some texture. Anyway, keep it up! :classic:

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Looks pretty nice, I really like the way you used the cheese slopes the gear and the dome. As almost everybody said, I think the dark red/tan wall could have some texture. Anyway, keep it up! :classic:

Cheers man, this is probably the build I’m least fond of myself so I definately understand the feedback. A fun little build though, thanks! 

A couple more good buildings for Mophet :thumbup: The larger building would benefit from some depth change in the walls. Right now it looks very box like since the walls are flat. Windows, series of arches, or small additions like balconies can help with that. I like the open arch approach for the blacksmith shop :classic:

On 11/26/2018 at 3:42 PM, soccerkid6 said:

A couple more good buildings for Mophet :thumbup: The larger building would benefit from some depth change in the walls. Right now it looks very box like since the walls are flat. Windows, series of arches, or small additions like balconies can help with that. I like the open arch approach for the blacksmith shop :classic:

Thanks for the suggestions man, I agree the armory could have used some more work to make it more interesting. Cheers dude! 

Great busy feel you've created here, the small market stand in the back adds a lot to that impression :thumbup:
The presentation with closeups of various figs works very well here, and the tattooed torso of the blacksmith is a fantastic choice :classic:
Since the buildings are supposed to look new I'm okay with the limited texture, but otherwise I would have liked at least a tad of texture in the walls. (For example some scattered masonry bricks or similar). Similar as in another Mophet build, I would also have liked some more detailing on the "bare plates" of the ground, maybe some scattered small plates in the same color or some tiles in another color.