Sign in to follow this  
Muakhah

Temple and Gardens of Khadira

Inside the simple Temple of Mazadar a Warrior Priest addresses a group of potential converts to the cause.

IMG_1684.jpg

"Mazadar is pure goodness, the creator of all things right and true." Exclaimed the Priest of Mazadar. "Yet Mazadar is not alone in the Cosmos of Creation.  At every turn Mazadar is opposed by the evil spirit of chaos and destruction.  Seeking to cast down all that is good and replace it with evil, this destructive force seeks to confound Mazadar and goodness at every turn!  Existing only to cause suffering and pain.  Mazadar and the evil spirit have opposed each other since the dawn of creation and even now wage their battle over the souls of mortals.  How can Mazadar ever hope to triumph against the equal and opposite evil spirit?"

IMG_1688.jpg

"Only by enlisting the figure upon the pedastal can Mazadar hope to win the Cosmic struggle and bring about a paradise in all realms and all lives.  And that figure, is YOU.  Only you can choose good over evil! Only you can make the difficult choices to do right in this life.  Only you can help to build a paradise in all realms.  Only you can tip the scales of good and evil.  Your choices, your actions will make the difference in the Cosmic struggle.  Mazadar needs you to choose good.  Will you answer the call?"

Meanwhile in the temple garden Muakhah fields the questions of two younger Khadirans.

"When I get to paradise, will I see my grandma? ...and my cat?" Asked the short quiet girl.

"Would it be paradise without them Mirah?" replied Muakhah.

"So I will see them again?" The little girl persisted.

"When we die Mirah, Mazadar judges our deeds, our intentions, our very soul.  We either enter paradise or for want of a better word, hell.  But fear not little one.  Hell is temporary.  There are no sins that could warrant eternal punishment!  Every sinner will spend time in hell to account for their sins and recognise the consequences of their actions.  It may take them a long time but eventually they will enter paradise, having atoned and understood their wrongs."

IMG_1689.jpg

"Does this mean that I might see someone evil in paradise? Like a Drow?" Asked the taller boy.

"Why yes.  You may even meet Revolword or Ravaage himself."

"I don't want to meet Ravaage in paradise." Said the boy firmly.

"Of course," said Muakhah gently. "But understand that the Ravaage you meet in paradise would not be the Ravaage who walked this earth.  He would have paid the price for his crimes in hell, but not only that he would have come to understand and repent for them.  The Ravaage you meet in paradise will be Ravaage as he could have been. Had he made the choice to do good and walk in the light."

"Is this why we have to help the Nocturnans...even though they are evil?" The boy continued.

"Look at the plant over by the gardener.  See how it is not lush and green like this one to my left."

The boy and girl nodded.

IMG_1691.jpg

"Is that plant evil?"

"No!" laughed the children in unison.

"This plant to my left is lush and green because this corner of the garden has good light, soil and warmth.  The plant over there lacks these things and so its growth is more difficult.  If both plants are to bloom then one of them needs help.  Which one do you think?"

"The one over there." said the girl.

"And so it is with the Nocturnans.  They are not evil.  They simply come from a harsh land where it is not easy to do good.  Where everything is a struggle.  But with help they can walk in the light."

"But some are evil?" The boy continued.

"Some choose evil.  But others do not.  And do not forget that Kaliphlinites, Avalonians and Mitgardians may also choose evil.  It is often the easier path.  Doing the right thing is often the more difficult choice.  Were it easy then there would be no evil."

Additional Photos!

Spoiler

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

I finished this build a little while ago and held off posting pictures because of the Sandstorm of freebuilds.  As there seemed to be a lot of immersive shots I retweaked the posing a little to get immersive shots myself but it doesn't really work well as it wasn't designed for it.

I know the story is pretty waffly but hopefully this is the beginning of an organisation that may grow to rival the knights of Aslan (fingers crossed)

I feel that there is a curse going around the forum.  When I set it up for photos it seemed that I had avoided light shining through cracks.  But when the photos are on the comp there they are...  Seems to be a common problm these days.

I'm hoping that this is enough to count as a Temple for Khadira and also a freebuild for the great Guild of Kaliphlin!

And yes...I'm still mixing all colors of minifigs...

Edited by Muakhah
Double paragraph

First of all, for practical concerns: any build counts as a freebuild for your guild, unless it is entered in an official Challenge, so this definitely counts. Also, for the HSS, a build must be substantial enough to really show some effort; in my book (which, as the current admin of the HSS, is the one that matters), this shows effort, and is substantial enough. It's not like you built a small statue on a street corner and called it a shrine or temple...

As for the build itself, I am not a big fan of the color scheme of the temple: parts of it work well, but other things seem out of place; I like the white, brown stripe, and tan combo, and the light blue accent is lovely in the wall; but then you add dark green (which is ok, not great with all the others, mostly the blue), black, gold, dark blue, dark red, and red, which just make it too busy in my opinion. Cutting a bunch of the colors out would have made it more satisfying visually. I do like the way you have made a winged serpent for the wall, though. As for the garden side, I really like it! The wall color is lovely with the rest, being very neutral and natural, and I enjoy the plants you have made there. The small roof is nice, I like the small statue, but the best little detail is the root creeping out of a garden box. I don't like mixing fleshies with yellows, but that is a personal decision you have made that I can live with! Keep building up Khadira!

Really nice build, and I like where the story is going with the warrior priests.

Love the brown awning in the outside scene, and the snake with wings motif in the interior scene. I like the same blue and white combination in the interior too, it looks great.

The interior scene is a little busy overall but it's not too overpowering.

Great MOC and look forward to seeing more from you!

On 11/14/2018 at 9:02 PM, W Navarre said:

Nice, I like the outdoor scene with the children! 

Thanks! I was really worried that the paths and garden beds wouldn't come together well. Especially as we've seen so many excellent Gardens done recently.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

First of all, for practical concerns: any build counts as a freebuild for your guild, unless it is entered in an official Challenge, so this definitely counts. Also, for the HSS, a build must be substantial enough to really show some effort; in my book (which, as the current admin of the HSS, is the one that matters), this shows effort, and is substantial enough. It's not like you built a small statue on a street corner and called it a shrine or temple...

As for the build itself, I am not a big fan of the color scheme of the temple: parts of it work well, but other things seem out of place; I like the white, brown stripe, and tan combo, and the light blue accent is lovely in the wall; but then you add dark green (which is ok, not great with all the others, mostly the blue), black, gold, dark blue, dark red, and red, which just make it too busy in my opinion. Cutting a bunch of the colors out would have made it more satisfying visually. I do like the way you have made a winged serpent for the wall, though. As for the garden side, I really like it! The wall color is lovely with the rest, being very neutral and natural, and I enjoy the plants you have made there. The small roof is nice, I like the small statue, but the best little detail is the root creeping out of a garden box. I don't like mixing fleshies with yellows, but that is a personal decision you have made that I can live with! Keep building up Khadira!

Cheers on the HSS tips.  As for the color scheme of the temple...I scrabbled for enough tiles to differentiate it from the garden.  I had originally hoped for Dark Blue and White.  But lacked enough of either to tile the whole floor.  I found I had dark green tiles which I like but don't go well with the blues.  I wanted another color in the walls but didn't have dark blue or dark green.  If I had the parts I would have had dark blue and white throughout and there would be less color and more white on the floor.  Sadly I had to make do and as you say it is a bit too busy.  Similarly with minifigs I was lacking a lot of my more neutral color ones which would have been a better crowd and not drawn the eye too much.  I also just yesterday got a small gold nanofig which would have suited better.  Any suggestions for a better color for the pedestal?   I'm glad you like the garden bit. I wanted it to be a warm contrast to the cooler temple colors.  Glad you saw the root, shamelessly copied from Gideon's Temple of Aslan.  I'm surprised more people haven't been inspired by that little detail.  I will definitely keep on with Khadira!

On 11/15/2018 at 5:28 AM, mlongworth said:

Nice little build. Love the colors of the garden and that root. Npu for the serpent

Cheers! Lots of people root for the root it seems! Glad the winged serpent works too.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, Basiliscus said:

Really nice build, and I like where the story is going with the warrior priests.

Love the brown awning in the outside scene, and the snake with wings motif in the interior scene. I like the same blue and white combination in the interior too, it looks great.

The interior scene is a little busy overall but it's not too overpowering.

Great MOC and look forward to seeing more from you!

Thanks for the story compliment, I hope at some point to do a similar spreading of the faith that the Knights of Aslan did.  The awning just seemed to make sense, as did the snake.  I feel like Henjin_Quilones says I could have done the blue and white combo better and made it more consistent.  Dark blue and white throughout or dark green and white.  Trouble is both colors are so beautiful with white...

I'll build more!  I'm thinking of some sort of Slaughterhouse or smokehouse for the Husbandry Agriculture...as the only animals I have here are two chickens and a dog, but I have a fair few meat and fish bits.  Also I'm awaiting the next challenge with trepidation!

Very good use of space in both scenes :thumbup: The blue and white brick layer with small arched window looks great in the temple.
Good work with the garden paths and plants too.
As Henjin said, a few less colors in the temple scene would make it more cohesive, but that sort of thing will be easy to fix when you have more parts :classic:

The split scene is a good idea here to tell the story and makes for some great all-Lego scenes. The garden scene is my favourite with great use of colour and vegetation and the many little details you've managed to squeeze into such a small scene. I look forward to seeing some more!

Very nice job!  I really like that the build is simple, clean, and yet manages to pack a lot of details into a small space.  The winged serpent on the wall, the golden carriage wheel and the statuary are great, and then in the pullback shot you can see the excellent tile work on the left.  I like the plants on the right hand side as well.  Nice work!

@en_zoo They should all be there, the links are still in place and loaded on my laptop. However none of them loaded on my phone...

On 11/20/2018 at 12:29 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Very good use of space in both scenes :thumbup: The blue and white brick layer with small arched window looks great in the temple.
Good work with the garden paths and plants too.
As Henjin said, a few less colors in the temple scene would make it more cohesive, but that sort of thing will be easy to fix when you have more parts :classic:

Cheers! I think I should make a list and try and order a range of tiles and plates from bricklink.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:06 AM, Ayrlego said:

The split scene is a good idea here to tell the story and makes for some great all-Lego scenes. The garden scene is my favourite with great use of colour and vegetation and the many little details you've managed to squeeze into such a small scene. I look forward to seeing some more!

It seems the garden scene is the more popular of the two, which is good because I was more worried about making a believable garden.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:09 PM, Grover said:

Very nice job!  I really like that the build is simple, clean, and yet manages to pack a lot of details into a small space.  The winged serpent on the wall, the golden carriage wheel and the statuary are great, and then in the pullback shot you can see the excellent tile work on the left.  I like the plants on the right hand side as well.  Nice work!

Glad you like the symbols of the religion! I felt they were important to get the feel of it right.

Hope to start on something else soon. I've been a bit ill this week so creative juices weren't flowing properly.

I can see them now, not sure what happened yesterday. Lovely vignette, once more! :thumbup: How did you make the last immersive shot, the focused on the back, blurred on the front? I love it!

Well...all photos I have taken are with an iphone camera which I have no idea how to use properly.  I tried to get a focus shot of the farmer and it kept focusing on the background instead.  After taking half a dozen I realised it was actually better  that way.   Technology and photography are not my strong points....

Wow man, that story! :blush: The premise of the religion is of course basic and not unlike other, real-world religions, but the way you illustrate it through Muakhah dialogue is very neat! It lends credibility to his wisdom. Incorporating Revolword, Raavage and the Nocturnians (mind the 'i' in there) is the icing on the cake. :thumbup:

As for the build, I think the religious symbols are effective and detailed enough despite their simple construction. I'll be ordering that 2x2 tile just in case :wink:

On 11/27/2018 at 12:34 AM, Exetrius said:

Wow man, that story! :blush: The premise of the religion is of course basic and not unlike other, real-world religions, but the way you illustrate it through Muakhah dialogue is very neat! It lends credibility to his wisdom. Incorporating Revolword, Raavage and the Nocturnians (mind the 'i' in there) is the icing on the cake. :thumbup:

As for the build, I think the religious symbols are effective and detailed enough despite their simple construction. I'll be ordering that 2x2 tile just in case :wink:

Thanks @Exetrius I’ll make sure I get nocturnians right in the future. Hope you get a chance to use the tile at some point.  I’m really glad you like the story. Nothing frustrates me more than books or movies where “genius” characters are stupid. It’s hard to write characters that are believably smart or wise... I’m very happy the dialogue conveys wisdom. It’s better than me just saying he’s so wise.

Don’t forget there is nothing stopping you from building more in Nocturnas!