Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

On 8/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, Guyon2002 said:

I wasn't referring to the size by the amount of pieces, but the size by the amount of baseplates. 32x64 is not a lot of space as a proper Gringotts would most likely already take up most of one baseplate. Though if I would have to stick to a 32x64 template I could imagine something like this in terms of width (taking in mind all buildings are open at the back and Gringotts and WWW are also open at the sides):

- Weasley's Wizard Wheezes - 20 studs = 20 total, 44 left

- Gringotts - 16 studs = 36 total, 28 left

- Ollivanders: 10 studs = 46 total, 18 left

- Flourish and Blotts and Quality Quidditch Supplies - both 9 studs = 64 total

Add a nice pathway in front of that, maybe some signs and other displays (and some random owlcages to ensure @Roebuck buys the set :wink:) and you've get a pretty perfect set.

But just looking at this, I'd say 3 baseplates would be the way to go as I feel like Ollivanders, FaB and QQS would be way too small because of how large Gringotts and WWW are.

Yeah yeah, that’s perfect, I laid out the foundations on the two baseplates on LDD, and some of the buildings were looking a little miniscule, namely the flourish and blotts and quality quidditch supplies, it wasn’t TOO detrimental but I reckon maybe a 16x32 baseplate as well as the two 32x32 would do the trick

With all this Diagon Alley talk going around, I think the most likely scenariois to see the buildings be released as individual large sets. (A Gringott's set, a WWW set, etc.) My reasoning? Well, for the first few years of the line, we've gotten a series of modular Hogwarts sets, each based on iconic castle exteriors. Well, after the Astronomy Tower, we're just about out of Hogwarts exteriors to make into flagship sets. Now, we'll continue to see Hogwarts in the form of interior-based sets with generic exteriors (Chamber of Secrets, Room of Requirement, etc.), but I see those as playsets in the $30-$60 range, not as main sets. Were this the case, it'd only make sense that the new big $90-$120 set spots would now be taken up by Diagon Alley. And, by the time we've gotten a fair amount of the Alley, it'd be time to go back and remake the big Hogwarts sets like the Great Hall.

Another issue is that a D2C Diagon Alley has similar issues to a D2C Hogwarts (before we knew it was nano-scale). Anyone remember that? We all took issue with the idea, because LEGO wouldn't be able to capture most of the castle in one set, AND it would be odd for them to release most of the castle in one hard-to-get set, when they'd make way more money by releasing sections individually. We all know how things actually turned out, and it'd make the most sense for Diagon Alley to happen the same way. Not as many people can buy one $400 set, but many more people could buy an $80-$120 set every year.

One more thing: there's no way LEGO would be able to capture the entire Alley in one set, anyway. There are dozens of shops, and there's no way they'd all be doable with a budget of less than 10000 pieces (and a D2C would more likely have 4000 pieces anyway.) Also, squishing them all onto a couple bsseplates as some are suggesting A.) Would be out of place with the rest of the line, as baseplates don't appear anywhere else in LEGO HP and B.) Would leave many buildings either left out or squished. The only real way you'd be able to the Alley on the budget of a single D2C would be to cut out half of the Alley, which LEGO wouldn't do. The most likely course is that they release each building (or perhaps a pair in some cases) as individually-packed sets that can be connected together to form the full street. (Think the modular buildings from LEGO Creator, but on a more modest scale.) I mean, Gringotts almost has to  be a DH set, and, considering the lack of choices for HBP, WWW has a good chance of popping up next year.

9 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

With all this Diagon Alley talk going around, I think the most likely scenariois to see the buildings be released as individual large sets. (A Gringott's set, a WWW set, etc.) My reasoning? Well, for the first few years of the line, we've gotten a series of modular Hogwarts sets, each based on iconic castle exteriors. Well, after the Astronomy Tower, we're just about out of Hogwarts exteriors to make into flagship sets. Now, we'll continue to see Hogwarts in the form of interior-based sets with generic exteriors (Chamber of Secrets, Room of Requirement, etc.), but I see those as playsets in the $30-$60 range, not as main sets. Were this the case, it'd only make sense that the new big $90-$120 set spots would now be taken up by Diagon Alley. And, by the time we've gotten a fair amount of the Alley, it'd be time to go back and remake the big Hogwarts sets like the Great Hall.

Another issue is that a D2C Diagon Alley has similar issues to a D2C Hogwarts (before we knew it was nano-scale). Anyone remember that? We all took issue with the idea, because LEGO wouldn't be able to capture most of the castle in one set, AND it would be odd for them to release most of the castle in one hard-to-get set, when they'd make way more money by releasing sections individually. We all know how things actually turned out, and it'd make the most sense for Diagon Alley to happen the same way. Not as many people can buy one $400 set, but many more people could buy an $80-$120 set every year.

One more thing: there's no way LEGO would be able to capture the entire Alley in one set, anyway. There are dozens of shops, and there's no way they'd all be doable with a budget of less than 10000 pieces (and a D2C would more likely have 4000 pieces anyway.) Also, squishing them all onto a couple bsseplates as some are suggesting A.) Would be out of place with the rest of the line, as baseplates don't appear anywhere else in LEGO HP and B.) Would leave many buildings either left out or squished. The only real way you'd be able to the Alley on the budget of a single D2C would be to cut out half of the Alley, which LEGO wouldn't do. The most likely course is that they release each building (or perhaps a pair in some cases) as individually-packed sets that can be connected together to form the full street. (Think the modular buildings from LEGO Creator, but on a more modest scale.) I mean, Gringotts almost has to  be a DH set, and, considering the lack of choices for HBP, WWW has a good chance of popping up next year.

They don't need to make all the shops, just the significant ones like the wand shop, and gringotts

15 minutes ago, DeCommander96 said:

They don't need to make all the shops, just the significant ones like the wand shop, and gringotts

Exactly. In a D2C, they'd have to strive for perfect accuracy, and make the shops nobody cares about. If they didn't, it'd be an incomplete display piece. If they release them individually, they can release what people want, and, since it'd be designed for dollhouse play rather than for display, it wouldn't be so off to have pieces missing. Plus, in a modular system, they could eventually add the less interesting components, or-heck, it is LEGO, just build them yourself. With a D2C, you're stuck with what they give you.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Exactly. In a D2C, they'd have to strive for perfect accuracy, and make the shops nobody cares about. If they didn't, it'd be an incomplete display piece. If they release them individually, they can release what people want, and, since it'd be designed for dollhouse play rather than for display, it wouldn't be so off to have pieces missing. Plus, in a modular system, they could eventually add the less interesting components, or-heck, it is LEGO, just build them yourself. With a D2C, you're stuck with what they give you.

Yeah I totally agree. I hate the idea of individual sets, but it is better. It's also possible for them to do smaller scale sets, but in twos. For example, madam maklins and the wand shop as one set. Then the weasleys shop with, say flourish and botts. This could be cheaper and a faster way to get the complete diagon alley. But I'm aware others are less bothered about price and will buy whatever we get. I'm not lol as I work minimal wage which isn't great. Moving on from my funds, I also think d2c will be too big. The shops are shown to be quite small from what I remember and d2c would have to make them bigger due to prices and piece counts

Edited by DeCommander96

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

By the time they're done with movies 5-8 they'll already be able to remake most of the Hogwarts sets, so there would be no gap between Hogwarts releases. And even if there was a gap lego would just slap different rooms together with a recognizable exterior (they could easily put together a few classrooms and make the exterior resemble the long gallery with it's Belltowers).

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

A Diagon Alley D2C wouldn't be about giving us the entire street, but giving us the most recognizable buildings. Like you said: there are dozens of shops in this street, and I must admit that though I'd say I'm a Wizarding World fan I wouldn't come much farther than the shops in the main street.

For a D2C Lego would select the most iconic and appealing buildings, while also trying to keep the layout of the set as accurately as possible. Why do you think the GWP included Gringotts, Ollivanders, FaB, QQS and WWW? Those shops definetely aren't located next to one another, it's all about recognizeability while also keeping a bit of accuracy.

And like we've discussed before, they could easily recreate the GWP at a larger scale with around 2500-3000 pieces. Diagon Alley is more targeted to fans anyway, why do you think they made it a D2C last time?

1 hour ago, DeCommander96 said:

Yeah I totally agree. I hate the idea of individual sets, but it is better. It's also possible for them to do smaller scale sets, but in twos. For example, madam maklins and the wand shop as one set. Then the weasleys shop with, say flourish and botts. This could be cheaper and a faster way to get the complete diagon alley. But I'm aware others are less bothered about price and will buy whatever we get. I'm not lol as I work minimal wage which isn't great. Moving on from my funds, I also think d2c will be too big. The shops are shown to be quite small from what I remember and d2c would have to make them bigger due to prices and piece counts

WWW is easily a set on it's own, just like Gringotts

It could just be me, but this discussion isn't really going anywhere. We don't even know if Harry Potter will get another D2C! So maybe it's best to put this conversation to rest, especially since we've held this conversation before and it's nothing more than pure wishlisting.

11 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It could just be me, but this discussion isn't really going anywhere. We don't even know if Harry Potter will get another D2C! So maybe it's best to put this conversation to rest, especially since we've held this conversation before and it's nothing more than pure wishlisting.

Two very true points 

12 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

By the time they're done with movies 5-8 they'll already be able to remake most of the Hogwarts sets, so there would be no gap between Hogwarts releases. And even if there was a gap lego would just slap different rooms together with a recognizable exterior (they could easily put together a few classrooms and make the exterior resemble the long gallery with it's Belltowers).

A Diagon Alley D2C wouldn't be about giving us the entire street, but giving us the most recognizable buildings. Like you said: there are dozens of shops in this street, and I must admit that though I'd say I'm a Wizarding World fan I wouldn't come much farther than the shops in the main street.

For a D2C Lego would select the most iconic and appealing buildings, while also trying to keep the layout of the set as accurately as possible. Why do you think the GWP included Gringotts, Ollivanders, FaB, QQS and WWW? Those shops definetely aren't located next to one another, it's all about recognizeability while also keeping a bit of accuracy.

And like we've discussed before, they could easily recreate the GWP at a larger scale with around 2500-3000 pieces. Diagon Alley is more targeted to fans anyway, why do you think they made it a D2C last time?

Don't know, haven't seen the movies in a while

I bought The Rise of Voldemort yesterday and I really like it. I thought the build on the box was really sloppy looking. However, in hand, it looks much better. The minifigures are the best part of the set. Personally, I think it is better than Expecto Patronum.

6 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

The Minifigure series list just got leaked, the third minifigure series is going to come out August/ September.

It lines up to Be Harry Potter Series 2.

Do you have any logic for it being Harry Potter, or are you just hopeful?

25 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

Do you have any logic for it being Harry Potter, or are you just hopeful?

It's not confirmed yet, we only know CMF1 is for DC Super Heroes and CMF2 for the normal CMF (I believe Series 20). But even though we don't currently know what CMF3 will be you could definetely argue it being Harry Potter related.

- It has been 2 years by the time this CMF comes out, which could be enough of a gap

- Series 1 was one of the best performing CMF's ever, so from a business point of view it would be incredibly stupid not to make a second series

- There are more than enough new characters and variants to make up a few more series

- As @HalfBloodPrince said the releasedate lines up with Series 1

This thread has essentially become a wishlist thread at this point. We don't even know names of the sets next year or if we're even getting a Diagon Alley in 2020 and we've had almost 3 full pages of discussion over a Diagon Alley D2C :roflmao:

31 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

This thread has essentially become a wishlist thread at this point. We don't even know names of the sets next year or if we're even getting a Diagon Alley in 2020 and we've had almost 3 full pages of discussion over a Diagon Alley D2C :roflmao:

Which is exactly why I suggested to stop this discussion :wink:

6 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

The Minifigure series list just got leaked, the third minifigure series is going to come out August/ September.

It lines up to Be Harry Potter Series 2.

I honestly thought this was a confirmation at first, and my heart skipped a beat!!

I have little doubt that it will be HP, but unlike the Star Destroyer, which has been rumored for a year, there is, as of yet, no inside info on the CMF has leaked that I’m aware of.  

7 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

I honestly thought this was a confirmation at first, and my heart skipped a beat!!

I have little doubt that it will be HP, but unlike the Star Destroyer, which has been rumored for a year, there is, as of yet, no inside info on the CMF has leaked that I’m aware of.  

Like I said, we know there are 3 CMF's coming out. One of which will be based on DC Comics and one will be Series 20. This has been confirmed by multiple leakers

7 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Same here, I haven't been following the HP news closely, so with all this discussion of Diagon Alley I thought there were at least some solid rumours (like the Star Destroyer). It seems it's just a lot of conjecture and wishlists.

26 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Like I said, we know there are 3 CMF's coming out. One of which will be based on DC Comics and one will be Series 20. This has been confirmed by multiple leakers

It could just as easily be any other theme, though. As far as we know it could be series 21, another Disney series or an entirely new licensed series. As far as anyone here knows, there could have been a renegotiation with Disney (since their contract with Hasbro is due for renewal) and we're now getting a Star Wars or Marvel CMF. 

There is currently no confirmed info on Harry Potter, just theorising and guess work. 

25 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

It could just as easily be any other theme, though. As far as we know it could be series 21, another Disney series or an entirely new licensed series. As far as anyone here knows, there could have been a renegotiation with Disney (since their contract with Hasbro is due for renewal) and we're now getting a Star Wars or Marvel CMF. 

There is currently no confirmed info on Harry Potter, just theorising and guess work. 

True, but there isn't much else it could be.

- It's not series 21, we only get one ''normal'' series every year

- It's not Disney Series 3 because there would only be a 1 year gap

- Besides the fact they can't make Star Wars and Marvel CMF's right now they probably still can't by the time this series would come out, even if the Disney-Hasbro contract changed (which seems rather unlikely)

- Pretty much all reasons why Harry Potter Series 2 would make a ton of sense

37 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

True, but there isn't much else it could be.

- It's not series 21, we only get one ''normal'' series every year

- It's not Disney Series 3 because there would only be a 1 year gap

- Besides the fact they can't make Star Wars and Marvel CMF's right now they probably still can't by the time this series would come out, even if the Disney-Hasbro contract changed (which seems rather unlikely)

- Pretty much all reasons why Harry Potter Series 2 would make a ton of sense

Plus the timing makes sense :classic: So far, all of the licensed series that had a follow-up were released in the same slot as their precursor (Simpsons: 2nd slot, Disney: 2nd slot, TLBM: 1st slot, WW: 3rd slot).

Of course the potential of a new licensed CMF series is still there, but that would only make sense if the according sets are also released around that time, like the WW sets last year. I assume Minions and Trolls are both spring/ early summer releases, which should rule them out as candidates :purrr:

2 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Plus the timing makes sense :classic: So far, all of the licensed series that had a follow-up were released in the same slot as their precursor (Simpsons: 2nd slot, Disney: 2nd slot, TLBM: 1st slot, WW: 3rd slot).

Of course the potential of a new licensed CMF series is still there, but that would only make sense if the according sets are also released around that time, like the WW sets last year. I assume Minions and Trolls are both spring/ early summer releases, which should rule them out as candidates :purrr:

And Minions and Trolls are extremely 50/50, most people either hate their guts or love them so since lego wants to appeal to as much people as possible that makes it especially unlikely

9 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

And Minions and Trolls are extremely 50/50, most people either hate their guts or love them so since lego wants to appeal to as much people as possible that makes it especially unlikely

Also a good point :sweet: Minions had at least one collectible figure series under their M€gäCön$trüx range, so it wouldn‘t be unprecedented, but TLG usually choose their licenses for CMF series very carefully. So far, all of the licensed CMF series were based on well-known, long-living and beloved properties with some of the most iconic characters pop culture has to offer. Neither Trolls nor Minions meet all of these requirements :snicker: 

Does anyone remember when the Bricktober minifigures were leaked/revealed last year?  I know it’s unlikely that we’ll get another pack, but it’s still possible!  

3 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Does anyone remember when the Bricktober minifigures were leaked/revealed last year?  I know it’s unlikely that we’ll get another pack, but it’s still possible!  

Late May/ early June I think? I think we would‘ve heard something by now if there were more Bricktober packs coming after the demise of TRU :wink:

Sure, they delegated the distribution of last year’s packs to other retailers, but it was such a mess that they probably only bothered with it because they had to. The minifigs were well into production at that point in time so they couldn‘t outright cancel the promotion, which they probably would have if TRU had been killed earlier.

So there‘s not really much of an incentive to repeat that ordeal on a voluntary basis :head_back: 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Late May/ early June I think? I think we would‘ve heard something by now if there were more Bricktober packs coming after the demise of TRU :wink:

Sure, they delegated the distribution of last year’s packs to other retailers, but it was such a mess that they probably only bothered with it because they had to. The minifigs were well into production at that point in time so they couldn‘t outright cancel the promotion, which they probably would have if TRU had been killed earlier.

So there‘s not really much of an incentive to repeat that ordeal on a voluntary basis :head_back: 

With Lego’s increased security at production facilities outside of China, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility they’re doing something simply because we haven’t seen evidence. If their sales volumes for JW and Marvel show value from those packs I could see them doing it again.  Sadly based on my experience and others I have read regarding the HP pack, either they overproduced it or B&N managed it poorly (in the US). Likely both but I don’t think it brought the return expected.

Just now, KevinMD said:

[...] I don’t think it brought the return expected.

Plus they had to redo the whole packaging since the first versions that leaked still had the TRU logo on them which the final versions didn‘t. That must‘ve cost a pretty penny to fix :oh3: