Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

Not sure whether this accurate, but JediJACPenguin claims that the new sets will be available as Barnes and Noble/LEGO Shop exclusives in the US, starting July 1.   

We already know this, but the semi-interesting part is that he makes no mention of Target, and given that he usually posts the DPCI numbers way in advance, I think he may be on to something here.  Honestly, I don’t mind Barnes and Noble being the only retailer to have a window of exclusivity, as long as supply is well-enough calculated.  

13 hours ago, GriffindorForLife said:

For any fellow Dutchies: Brickshop is offering 15% off when you preorder the new Harry Potter sets

They're even cheaper on Bol.com, especially the knight bus. Except for expecto patronum

2 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Not sure whether this accurate, but JediJACPenguin claims that the new sets will be available as Barnes and Noble/LEGO Shop exclusives in the US, starting July 1.   

We already know this, but the semi-interesting part is that he makes no mention of Target, and given that he usually posts the DPCI numbers way in advance, I think he may be on to something here.  Honestly, I don’t mind Barnes and Noble being the only retailer to have a window of exclusivity, as long as supply is well-enough calculated.  

There’s been some advertisements in Barnes and Nobel saying they’re gonna be there July 1st

these store exclusive early releases for America are a smart move by Lego to be honest, a big payout from those companies to get them first must help the budget for what is still a risky theme.

last year the theme was risky because of how old it is, this year it’s risky because there’s less ‘iconic’ stuff, and no Fantastic Beasts movie. If this wave doesn’t sell well I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not a wave next year and they wait until the next Fantastic Beasts

38 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

last year the theme was risky because of how old it is, this year it’s risky because there’s less ‘iconic’ stuff, and no Fantastic Beasts movie. If this wave doesn’t sell well I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not a wave next year and they wait until the next Fantastic Beasts

I do not think this theme is really risky at all compared to e.g. minions next year.. This years sets have plenty of iconic stuff and I think the FB movies are more important in selling FB sets than they are in selling HP sets. I am sure this years wave will do very well also, the sets are excellent made and there is a high demand for HP stuff :wink:

21 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I do not think this theme is really risky at all compared to e.g. minions next year.. This years sets have plenty of iconic stuff and I think the FB movies are more important in selling FB sets than they are in selling HP sets. I am sure this years wave will do very well also, the sets are excellent made and there is a high demand for HP stuff :wink:

Yeah Minions is pretty risky. There are a lot of people who love them, a small amount of people who don't really care (like me) and a lot of people who absolutely hate them (and you can't really blame them). 

15 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Well I've only gotten my hands on the Clocktower so far, and it is quite lovely and a nice substantial addition to the Great Hall. Building it gave me some nostalgia for the play features of older sets - while the new Hogwarts sets are so much better aesthetically, the original ones with their random trap doors and spinning walls and hidden items actually captured the spirit of Hogwarts from the books.

I couldn't agree more with this. The older sets, particularly from the first two films are very much in the spirit of the books and also the early games (1-3), with hidden gems in chests, sliding or rotating panels and hidden areas. 

The Slytherin Common Room set came with a sword, c'mon. 

I wouldn't change the near-screen accurate stuff for that now though. Looking back, the builds were very exposed and often in the wrong colour (black, dark grey, light grey, brown) but they were a lot of fun. 

I'm impressed how many play features they can get into a set with how detailed the builds are now. I might be slightly jaded as I'm also a Star Wars fan and haven't been excited about play features in that line for a while though. 

Long may it continue. 

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yeah Minions is pretty risky. There are a lot of people who love them, a small amount of people who don't really care (like me) and a lot of people who absolutely hate them (and you can't really blame them). 

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Minions isn’t risky because it has a movie coming and it’s what Lego does; random new theme for a new movie. Harry Potter is an entirely different kettle of fish. A theme that has died twice before, hasn’t had a movie in nearly 10 years, and has only recently started to get a new marketing push. Honestly without fantastic beasts last year this theme would not be back

EDIT: Also I’m not denying there’s a high demand, there definitely is and Lego shouldn’t be worried. But from a business point of view, just looking at numbers and trends, Iran probably viewed as risky.

Edited by Whovastron

Just now, Whovastron said:

Minions isn’t risky because it has a movie coming and it’s what Lego does; random new theme for a new movie. Harry Potter is an entirely different kettle of fish. A theme that has died twice before, hasn’t had a movie in nearly 10 years, and has only recently started to get a new marketing push. Honestly without fantastic beasts last year this theme would not be back

Yes, and they notably played it ridiculously safe by waiting until the second movie in the arc was coming out to do sets. I can’t really blame them though, they’re hardly the only company that underestimated just how marketable Harry Potter still was. (I mean there weren’t plush nifflers available until nearly a year after the first movie came out. Imagine how much potential money they lost by not taking advantage of the Holiday season the movie was showing in.) I’m hoping all the cooperate executives now realize that Harry Potter is like Star Wars, in that there doesn’t need to be a movie coming out for us to be excited about it. 

34 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I’m hoping all the cooperate executives now realize that Harry Potter is like Star Wars, in that there doesn’t need to be a movie coming out for us to be excited about it. 

I totally agree and I think Lego has realised that now as well :grin:

47 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Minions isn’t risky because it has a movie coming and it’s what Lego does; random new theme for a new movie.

Well that depends how well the movie does it, I do not think angry birds was a best-seller :def_shrug: E.g. Prince of persia had some nice sets, but did not sell a lot since the movie was not a hit from what I understand..

48 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Harry Potter is an entirely different kettle of fish. A theme that has died twice before, hasn’t had a movie in nearly 10 years, and has only recently started to get a new marketing push.

Yes, it is different because it is a gold mine :tongue: The marketing push has been steadily increasing the last years, as more fans in all ages join in on the fun :classic:

49 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I totally agree and I think Lego has realised that now as well :grin:

Well that depends how well the movie does it, I do not think angry birds was a best-seller :def_shrug: E.g. Prince of persia had some nice sets, but did not sell a lot since the movie was not a hit from what I understand..

Yes, it is different because it is a gold mine :tongue: The marketing push has been steadily increasing the last years, as more fans in all ages join in on the fun :classic:

Of course it depends on how the movie does, just look at angry birds and speed racer, my point is that minions fits into what Lego usually does. Harry Potter doesn’t really.

dont get me wrong I do believe and agree with you on it being a gold mine, I’m just saying that from a business standpoint it would probably be considered risky to release sets for a film series that doesn’t have a new film out. All the other times it’s happened (the second year of Indiana Jones is the only one I can think of) it failed.

I bought the Clocktower for only 72 Euro today. The Hogwarts castle only costs 256 Euro right now in Austria and the Hogwarts Express only 48 Euro at SMYTH.

Edited by Lerux

4 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Of course it depends on how the movie does, just look at angry birds and speed racer, my point is that minions fits into what Lego usually does. Harry Potter doesn’t really.

dont get me wrong I do believe and agree with you on it being a gold mine, I’m just saying that from a business standpoint it would probably be considered risky to release sets for a film series that doesn’t have a new film out. All the other times it’s happened (the second year of Indiana Jones is the only one I can think of) it failed.

Harry Potter isn’t just another movie, though. Wizarding World opened in Hollywood’s Universal Studios a little over three years ago. Which would’ve been five years after the franchise ended. I highly doubt they would’ve spent all that money & space on something unless they knew it would be a hit. Plus, even without new movies, those kids who fell in love with HP from the books are introducing their kids to him. I don’t see this being risky at all. 

Is there someone who got the Hungarian hotntail set and changed it so the dragon and the tent will be screen accurate? I really want to see something like that.

22 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Has anyone tried merging the 2010/2011 Hogwarts sets with the current sets? 

There isn't much point unless you heavily mod the old sets, they're a lot shorter than the current sets so the towers don't look very tower like. The Great Hall and Grand Staircase Tower from the 2010 set have been reproduced better in the 2018 sets, the rest aren't very screen accurate so could be misc parts of Hogwarts. Most of the rooms are reproduced as well, like Gryffindor Common Room, Dumbledore's Office, Dormitory, Great Hall interior and Defence Against the Dark Arts. Again you could mod those parts to be other rooms.

4 hours ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Has anyone tried merging the 2010/2011 Hogwarts sets with the current sets? 

I have (sort of), 4867 with modifications. When I have pictures ready, I will  put Instagram link  here.

10 minutes ago, Robocrookshanks said:

I have (sort of), 4867 with modifications. When I have pictures ready, I will  put Instagram link  here.

That would be great thanks! I’d like to integrate the two but I’m a sucker for continuity so wanted to see how other people managed to merge them together!

Anyone in the US remember if we typically get double VIP points over July 4th? It would be great to along with the release of the HP sets here (and also a great time to snag the Stranger Things set).

I rewatched OotP and did a count of how many outfits Umbridge wears - twelve! I know Slughorn has more than one as well so I think both are possible, indeed likely in Umbridge's case, in any future waves. 

21 minutes ago, GryffindorResistance said:

Haven't been on the forum in a while. 

Anyone know if the Flitwick and McGonagall in the Advent Calendar are any different than the ones we got last summer??

Nope, but since Flitwick can‘t reuse any of the CMF pieces, we assume it‘s his PS/CoS version (no guarantee though!). Beyond that, we don‘t know anything :purrr:

36 minutes ago, Seaber said:

I rewatched OotP and did a count of how many outfits Umbridge wears - twelve! I know Slughorn has more than one as well so I think both are possible, indeed likely in Umbridge's case, in any future waves. 

Twelve? That is a lot more than I thought. I guess with all of them being in various shades of pink, it's hard to tell them apart :wink: (Well, she wears black robes in the trial scene, but this variant is definitely most unlikely)

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

Twelve? That is a lot more than I thought. I guess with all of them being in various shades of pink, it's hard to tell them apart :wink: (Well, she wears black robes in the trial scene, but this variant is definitely most unlikely)

I don’t know if it’s entirely unlikely. It would make sense for LEGO to put that variant in a CMF series, especially considering that doing a set of the trial is unlikely. It would be a great a way to gather robes for ministry people. 

7 minutes ago, legogoblin2099 said:

I don’t know if it’s entirely unlikely. It would make sense for LEGO to put that variant in a CMF series, especially considering that doing a set of the trial is unlikely. It would be a great a way to gather robes for ministry people. 

Maybe they would include that variant in a Ministry of Magic set?

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

Some of them are coats on top of other outfits, but yes twelve! The thing about the trial clothes is that three characters wear them, as well as a load of extras, so it might make it slightly more likely... the hat looks quite Tudor too, so might do for a future Castle theme! 

10 minutes ago, legogoblin2099 said:

If there was a Ministry set the Atrium, Department of Mysteries and Hall of Prophesy would be the most interesting parts, but small side builds like the elevator and trial chamber could be possible, especially as Dumbledore and Harry would already be involved in the Atrium part of the set.